My Tune Experience - from a noob's perspective. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-07-2014, 10:16 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
My Tune Experience - from a noob's perspective.

Hello all!

The purpose of this write up is to share my experience with my first tune from the perspective of a complete noob! I'll be detailing everything in noob language mostly because I may or may not know the proper terms of everything I am trying to explain

First.. I must give a big thanks to AMAlexLazarus for helping me out with my purchase and giving me all of the info I needed to pull the trigger! I placed my order on Wednesday (12/3). I was quoted a 4 to 5 business day turn around due to the Thanksgiving Holiday sale that had just ended. I received my package on Friday (12/5). Less than 48 hours from the time I placed my order! Needless to say, I was beyond excited that I didn't have to wait out the weekend and received it well ahead of the quoted shipping time.

So the specifics -

2014 Mustang v6, Base AUTOMATIC
w/ FP6 Appearance Pack (so, 18" Wheels)
Completely Stock, only mod, which doesn't really count is Borla S-Type Axle-Back.

Purchased SCT X4/SF4 w/ BAMA Tunes for Life from AM
Bama SF4/X4 Power Flash Mustang Tuner w/ 3 Free Custom Tunes 101200 (11-14 V6) - Free Shipping

I selected the following 3 tunes to be preloaded:

87 Street
93 Performance
93 Race

So let us fast forward to 12/5. I have never sprinted so fast to answer the door before. As soon as I heard the faint knock from across my apartment, I immediately jumped up and Usain Bolted my way to the front door to collect my much anticipated package! I can't be the only one who's like that on mod day.

I grabbed my package, thanked the UPS man and quickly ripped the box apart.

This doesn't look like a tuner to me... oh wait! Got hooked up with a hoodie and t-shirt! Thanks Alex!

Ahhh, here we go. The main reason for this package!

(Question: For anyone who has ordered the SCT Tuner from AM w/ BAMA Tunes, did you get your ID Plaque in the package with the Tuner? Or does that come later? I didn't get one in this package)

After taking it out of the packaging, I went through the instructions on the SCT website. Installed the Device Updating Software, plugged in my tuner, updated my tuner and ran out to my car to get this baby going.

Got in my car (the sexy black one) and went to the gas station to fill up with some 93 fuel (I was at 3 miles to E. Figured I'd get gas first before starting the whole tuning business). Before ordering the tuner, I knew I wanted to try out the most aggressive tune. I had already planned on uploading the 93 Race tune. So I had already filled up my car with 93 for the last 3 tanks, hoping all of the 87 would have finally burned out by the time the tune came in. (Also, GOTTA LOVE THAT $2.64 PER GALLON FOR 93 )

Alright, tank is full and I'm parked in a nice and cozy parking spot. I turn the car off and hook up the tuner to my car. It turns on, I go to program the vehicle, turn the key to the ON position as instructed and select the 93 Race tune. It downloads my stock tune to the device and then uploads the 93 Race tune. The entire process took maybe ~5 or so minutes. TUNE IS LOADED AND CAR IS READY TO BE STARTED !!

I turn on my car and notice that loading the tune reset my MPG counter (hadn't reset it since buying the car, 8500 miles ago lol), Oh well! I put my car in to reserve and barely pressed the pedal. I already felt a difference in throttle response. It pulled me out of my parking spot much faster than normal. There would usually be a slight delay when touching the pedal... yea that delay was GONE.

Pull on to the street and drive around a bit. So, in terms of numbers, I can't tell you what horsepower or torque difference I achieved with this tune... But I can tell you how the feel of the car has dramatically changed from stock. Here are my findings thus far..

1) When you touch the pedal, your car actually MOVES now (I know, shocking). The response is almost instantaneous. On the stock tune, I felt as if the pedal had to ask the engine for permission to pump out a bit of power to get the car moving. Now, the pedal makes your engine its ***** and tells it to pump out the power to get it moving!

Conclusion: MUCH more responsive on the throttle.

2) The shifts... On the stock tune in my car, the car would take a good second to shift. It would always 'rev up' before shifting, as if it was a ****ty manual driver. Now with the tune, it shifts much quicker. I'm talking like 1/4 of a second, if that. It no longer 'revs up' as it is shifting. It just gets to the point and shifts the damn thing.

Conclusion: MUCH faster/cleaner shifting which makes it MUCH more enjoyable to drive.

3) The numbers... the horsepower and torque... I can't comment on the actual number but I can comment on what they feel like. I know feel like the car pulls MUCH better and MUCH more consistently throughout the RPM range. Also, the car seems to push itself a little harder than it did on the stock tune. By this, I mean when you let go of the throttle to slow down, the car doesn't slow down as fast as it used to. It's like... "bro, you really want to slow down? are you sure? ehhh, i'm not sure that you're sure so i'll slow you down, slowly.. just in case you change your mind, i'm ready to take off instantly!"
To explain myself better (lets hope this explain is better lol), releasing the pedal on the stock tune felt like the power was being cut off. Releasing the pedal on this 93 Race tune felt like the power was only being cut down to 70%. So that way, if you wanted to step on it, you just needed 30% to get going rather than 100%.

Another way I guess I could explain what it does:

Stock Tune - Going 70mph and release pedal, 10 seconds later of coasting, I'm at 60mph (Just making up numbers)

93 Race Tune - Going 70 mph and release pedal, 10 seconds later of coasting, I'm at 65mph (Just making up numbers).

Conclusion: The way the engine is displaying its power is completely different from stock to 93 Race tune. It pulls longer/harder AND it feels as if there is always power ready for it whether your foot is on the gas or not.

4) Another big question I often see is "what about MPG?". Well, I've driven roughly 150 miles so far since receiving my tune and about 100 of those were highway and 50 of those were city driving. This is my recording so far. (I know the computer MPG sucks. I'll update with a hand computed value once this tank is empty and I fill it back up. That'll be much more accurate)

Conclusion: I can't really comment on MPG because I don't have enough data.

I think that about sums up my beginner experience with a tune so far. The reason I posted this is because I was and still am super excited to have finally pulled the trigger in to the tuning world and wanted to share it with someone.

This post turned out to be pretty long.

Overall, my car feels like a brand new car. It is 10x more fun to drive and I am EXTREMELY happy with my decision to buy a tuner & tune. I chose BAMA because my car is still very young in the modding world (aka, has none) and the free tunes for life paired with the customer service from AM (3rd shoutout for Alex Lazarus!) & praise BAMA has been receiving recently made it a no brainer for a newbie like myself.

I strongly recommend anyone still on the fence about tuning their vehicle to pull the trigger. You'll honestly never look back.
DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2014, 10:44 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Congrats on getting the tuner! I'm still waiting on mine to come in and after seeing your post I want it even more now! Ugh being in Cali means I actually have to wait the whole 5 business days before it comes in.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Quack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 02:24 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Nice write up! I was gonna wait to get mine tuned but after reading this, I want it ASAP!

Dhawk1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2014, 08:20 AM   #4
Site Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Hey! Thanks for taking the time to post up this great write up! I'm really happy to see and hear that you're enjoying your Bama Tunes as much as I do and I'll make sure to have this sent over there so they can get a look! I'm happy to hear they were able to get it out to you so quickly as well! Sorry about the plaque but they're on back-order as we speak and once we have a new batch in we'll have yours created and shipped out! Let me know if you have any other questions in the meantime and enjoy!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quack View Post
Congrats on getting the tuner! I'm still waiting on mine to come in and after seeing your post I want it even more now! Ugh being in Cali means I actually have to wait the whole 5 business days before it comes in.
Quack! It'll be there soon I promise! Let us know when yours is in and what you think!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhawk1313 View Post
Nice write up! I was gonna wait to get mine tuned but after reading this, I want it ASAP!
You'll never look back and I assure you that you would see and feel the difference too! Let me know if you have any questions at all, I'm always around to help!

Alex
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG & 2017 RAPTOR!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMAlexLazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 04:26 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMAlexLazarus View Post
Hey! Thanks for taking the time to post up this great write up! I'm really happy to see and hear that you're enjoying your Bama Tunes as much as I do and I'll make sure to have this sent over there so they can get a look! I'm happy to hear they were able to get it out to you so quickly as well! Sorry about the plaque but they're on back-order as we speak and once we have a new batch in we'll have yours created and shipped out! Let me know if you have any other questions in the meantime and enjoy!!
Awesome! I'll be out of the country for the next 4-5 weeks so take your time on the Plaque

Is there any reason to run anything other than the Race tune? Based on how awesome the car feels right now, would there be any long term effect on having such an aggressive tune at all times?

Should I use Performance or Street for daily driving and put on the Race tune when I feel like being aggressive for the day?
Old 12-08-2014, 04:35 PM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiESeven View Post
Awesome! I'll be out of the country for the next 4-5 weeks so take your time on the Plaque

Is there any reason to run anything other than the Race tune? Based on how awesome the car feels right now, would there be any long term effect on having such an aggressive tune at all times?

Should I use Performance or Street for daily driving and put on the Race tune when I feel like being aggressive for the day?
Race tune and don't look back man lol. Those stripes on that black look killer by the way

05 Gt Premium Performance White, flowmaster outlaws, Jlt Series 3, Bama 91r tune
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 05:16 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
Race tune and don't look back man lol. Those stripes on that black look killer by the way
Thanks I wanted a color that would stand out. Saw Lime Green available from the dude I got them from on ebay and immediately ordered them because lime green on black = sex.

I just uploaded the 93 Performance tune and from the small trip I just did... 93 Race is definitely the way to go. Will revert it back to Race later this week lol
Old 12-08-2014, 05:21 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
The other tunes are just preferencial depending on what the person is doing with the car. Some people prefer the milder stuff. Not me personally but I have seen them in demand lol

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 11:46 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I loved the 93R tune I got from AM and I ended up getting the MPT "ghost cam" tune as well, which if I must say was pretty awesome too but don't feel like it was as aggressive as the AM. If only they sold a ghost cam!!
Lan_Evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 08:10 AM   #10
Site Sponsor

Quote:
That's typically what I run daily-But I think for people that are new to the tuner should start with the Street and work their way up to get a good idea of how all 3 will perform in different environments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM91 View Post
The other tunes are just preferencial depending on what the person is doing with the car. Some people prefer the milder stuff. Not me personally but I have seen them in demand lol
Well said Joe-The Street is what I would recommend if you know you're going to be in the car for an extended period of time (Long drive on the weekend, traveling for the Holiday's )If you know ahead that you're going to hit traffic on the way into work or heading home, I might say shoot for the Performance tune-It will still make the commute really entertaining but the throttle will be slightly held back in comparison to the Race tune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lan_Evo View Post
I loved the 93R tune I got from AM and I ended up getting the MPT "ghost cam" tune as well, which if I must say was pretty awesome too but don't feel like it was as aggressive as the AM. If only they sold a ghost cam!!
Hey Lan-Happy to hear that you enjoyed the aggressive nature of Bama's tunes-The Ghost Cam will likely be back out towards the spring/summer!

If anyone has any questions please don't hesitate to let me know, I'm always around!

Alex
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Old 12-09-2014, 08:51 AM   #11
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
Nothing wakes this car up like a tune.

It's seriously a night and day difference.

I had a 1200 mile road trip that I put the stock tune back on for so I could run 87 octane instead of the more expensive 93. That's when it's especially noticeable how much the tune does for this car. It felt like a complete slug on the stock tune.
Old 12-09-2014, 08:58 AM   #12
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Hey Mister DiESeven

One really good write-up on having a tune. I'm sure you helped a lot of V6 owners make up their minds on getting one.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 08:37 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Got a CAI and 91R bama tune installed, insane difference, especially on the city streets.

Old 12-10-2014, 09:03 AM   #14
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIG View Post
Nothing wakes this car up like a tune.

It's seriously a night and day difference.

I had a 1200 mile road trip that I put the stock tune back on for so I could run 87 octane instead of the more expensive 93. That's when it's especially noticeable how much the tune does for this car. It felt like a complete slug on the stock tune.
Thanks for your .02 VIG! It really is a slouch once you switch back to the stock tune and It's almost aggravating to drive the car like that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
One really good write-up on having a tune. I'm sure you helped a lot of V6 owners make up their minds on getting one.
Ronnie
Couldn't have said it better myself Ronnie! Hope you and Mario are well!

Quote:
Got a CAI and 91R bama tune installed, insane difference, especially on the city streets.

Hey Quack-I'm happy to hear that you're enjoying your Bama tune as well! I'm getting jealous here! My puny 4.6l is no match for the big six's here!

Let me know if anyone has any questions or if there's anything else I can help out with!

Alex
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Old 12-10-2014, 01:39 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Couldn't have said it better myself Ronnie! Hope you and Mario are well!
My goal was to make more people aware of what it actually feels like rather than what it does! I can't believe I did so many appearance mods first rather than starting off with a tune in fear of my warranty.

Definitely the best stepping stone mod for a difference in my car.

After lurking around the internet, I noticed people talking about a Hybrid tune. Can anyone give me a little more info on that? I've found this quote from Dan:

"They Hybrid tune is basically a mix between all 3 tunes. It has the low End grunt of the Street tune, Mid range of the Performance tune and top end of the Race tune!"

So, is it an even more powerful tune than the 93Race tune? Any side effects with having your pony tuned that hard?
Old 12-11-2014, 09:00 AM   #16

Thanks for the awesome write up. Our cars biggest problem for me is the throttle response and lag. If the tunes can get rid of that I am already sold.

2014 Ford Mustang Premium 3.7L V6 6 Speed Manual Black
MODS:
SCT X3 TUNER, JLT CAI, MAGNAFLOW STREET SERIES AXLEBACKS, H&R RACE SPRINGS
BlackStang305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 09:29 AM   #17
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiESeven View Post
My goal was to make more people aware of what it actually feels like rather than what it does! I can't believe I did so many appearance mods first rather than starting off with a tune in fear of my warranty.

Definitely the best stepping stone mod for a difference in my car.

After lurking around the internet, I noticed people talking about a Hybrid tune. Can anyone give me a little more info on that? I've found this quote from Dan:

"They Hybrid tune is basically a mix between all 3 tunes. It has the low End grunt of the Street tune, Mid range of the Performance tune and top end of the Race tune!"

So, is it an even more powerful tune than the 93Race tune? Any side effects with having your pony tuned that hard?
Thanks again for the honest feedback, the Bama Tuners appreciate it and it's definitely one of the best mods that can be installed on the Mustang!

Regarding the Hybrid Tune some time back Bama was receiving requests from customers that they we're wanting something where they could mix some of the personalities and characteristics of one tune, and have it merged into another. Hybrid was essentially coined on the forums and it's something that's not better than one or the other.

I know it's a little convoluted but what I'm getting at is Bama will work with their customers to create something entirely unique to your driving style. If there's an area that you think can be corrected they're happy to datalog and see what can be adjusted to get you a better driving experience.

(Let me know if any other questions on this!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackStang305 View Post
Thanks for the awesome write up. Our cars biggest problem for me is the throttle response and lag. If the tunes can get rid of that I am already sold.
MODS:
It will definitely make it not feel so sluggish and watered down. They make the 3.7 feel like a rocket sled!

Alex
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Old 12-11-2014, 09:30 AM   #18

Cool. That's what I need right now. The power is fine for now it's just very sluggish. Thanks for the reply Alex!

MODS:
BlackStang305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 09:33 AM   #19
dlm
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Thanks for the info.
dlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 09:38 AM   #20
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackStang305 View Post
Cool. That's what I need right now. The power is fine for now it's just very sluggish. Thanks for the reply Alex!

MODS:
If you can track down someone local that's Bama Tuned I would highly recommend catching a ride to see and feel the difference! It's definitely night and day to the point where after I had my first 3.7 ride years back I was irritated driving my V8 afterwards...Oh well! Coyote in the not too distant future!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Old 12-11-2014, 01:18 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thanks again for the honest feedback, the Bama Tuners appreciate it and it's definitely one of the best mods that can be installed on the Mustang!

Regarding the Hybrid Tune some time back Bama was receiving requests from customers that they we're wanting something where they could mix some of the personalities and characteristics of one tune, and have it merged into another. Hybrid was essentially coined on the forums and it's something that's not better than one or the other.

I know it's a little convoluted but what I'm getting at is Bama will work with their customers to create something entirely unique to your driving style. If there's an area that you think can be corrected they're happy to datalog and see what can be adjusted to get you a better driving experience.

(Let me know if any other questions on this!)

It will definitely make it not feel so sluggish and watered down. They make the 3.7 feel like a rocket sled!

Alex

I've heard high and low that Bama will not datalog you, has this changed recently?

SR Performance CAI, Diablosport Intune bama tuner, Roush Axleback, Matte black rocker stripes.
Old 12-11-2014, 01:23 PM   #22
Registered Member

Regular

If someone there refuses to data log, which they shouldn't, ask for the lead callibrator whose name is eluding me currently... maybe Joe?

05 Gt Premium Performance White, flowmaster outlaws, Jlt Series 3, Bama 91r tune
Old 12-12-2014, 09:27 AM   #23
Site Sponsor

Quote:
I've heard high and low that Bama will not datalog you, has this changed recently?
Really?? Let me know where you're seeing this! I almost even encourage getting a datalog set up in order to let the Bama crew really dial people in.

Quote:
If someone there refuses to data log, which they shouldn't, ask for the lead callibrator whose name is eluding me currently... maybe Joe?
Nate-Bama's new lead Calibrator is Paul-There's absolutely no reason why they would ever refuse to have this set up for anyone unless someone were asking to have a tune written for something like an axleback which we know doesn't require a tune. Another example of something like this would be if a customer were asking to get one set up for a part that's not advertised as needing a tune revision. They're happy to help but if they feel that it would be a waste of the customers time and effort they'll be straight forward about this! At the end of the day I wouldn't want to waste someones time on this either!

Let me know if you have any other questions at all and I hope this helps!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Old 12-12-2014, 10:21 AM   #24
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Really?? Let me know where you're seeing this! I almost even encourage getting a datalog set up in order to let the Bama crew really dial people in.

Nate-Bama's new lead Calibrator is Paul-There's absolutely no reason why they would ever refuse to have this set up for anyone unless someone were asking to have a tune written for something like an axleback which we know doesn't require a tune. Another example of something like this would be if a customer were asking to get one set up for a part that's not advertised as needing a tune revision. They're happy to help but if they feel that it would be a waste of the customers time and effort they'll be straight forward about this! At the end of the day I wouldn't want to waste someones time on this either!

Let me know if you have any other questions at all and I hope this helps!
Why at tuners names always one syllable..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang