MPT / Bomber Performance Turbo Kit - Page 6 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-30-2015, 02:52 PM   #176
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCALD View Post
Interesting report. Did you actually calculate the mileage or are the numbers from the car computer? I have found that the car computer calculations are incorrect after doing the turbo tune (6 to 7 mpg). I also have 255 gears and my calculated mileage is around 26 on the highway, which is fine. Your power numbers are interesting as well. I am making 400 RWHP at 7.5 pounds of boost and 450 foot pounds of torque at 3200 rpm. The turbo cars are great fun!
Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
That's from the car computer and seem about consistent with the amount of driving I've done and the times I've went to the gas station. I started to collect the numbers to do some real calculations, but something happened (you'll see in separate post).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lan_Evo View Post
"(Tuned conservatively, since it's my daily)
-450 RWHP / 415 TQ @ 10 lbs of boost and 93 octane, and according to MPT there was still a lot of room for more power. Just limited for longevity."
If I'm honest I'm a little surprised you made that much power on 93 even with a concervative tune, I would have guessed a little more but eh. The only reason I say that is because I'm really interested in the kit myself but being in cali we have ****ty 91 and was hoping on making more than 400 hp & tq so I guess we'll see.
with the new found power how is 1st gear? I'm sure with tc off its pretty useless unless you're running bigger tires and if so what size? thanks!
I remember them telling me it had potential to go more than 500rwhp, but that would put it at the 550hp crank which seems to be the upper limit of normal car's internals. I say normal because Connor's (Clamphier) car made some ridiculous amounts of power on stock internals (which is definitely not normal). This is my daily and I did appreciate them erring on the side of safety.

Well the thing with turbo is that the power ramps up (there is lag, after all). So it's pretty easy to control and maintain (with traction on). I'm on stock tire size, but I did upgrade to Michelin's Pilot super sports, which have really good grip (comparably). My car's also a manual, so it's a little different than driving an auto.

But once you're in boost, the throttle becomes super sensitive. I've had a little issue with the amount of torque that throws you back in the seat, it pulls my foot a tiny bit off the pedal, causing the car to quit surging forward, but since I'm trying to compensate for being pulled back in my seat, I end up over compensating and my foot presses back down a little bit harder, causing the car to surge forward again, which throws me back in the chair again, pulling my foot back off the pedal (again), resulting in a cycle (lol).

I'm still getting used to it. Of course the problem is avoided entirely if I just floor it, but I don't want to break the traction so easily. I'm trying to teach myself throttle control. Maybe my foot placement's weird? I have to do a bit more research to see what I can do to prevent my foot from being affected by the torque.
spacechalklate is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2015, 02:55 PM   #177
Registered Member
Regular

So, responses aside - here's a new update.
Turns out BBK ceramic shorties won't hold up to the heat of the turbo. Driver side developed hairline crack, so I'll be going back to the stockers.

In addition, (and this may be the first documented case) my turbo blew. Or broke, or something. Better the turbo than the motor, but the compressor wheel / turbine part of it was wobbling around.

The Bomber kit itself is fine and no issues, but the Comp turbo I selected will be going back to see what's up. Since it was oilless, it leaked grease everywhere... Into the blow off valve and into the boost gauge. Kind of annoyed since the whole reason I wanted the oilless was to be cleaner and easier.

We'll see what they say. Bomber has been really good at troubleshooting and checking everything for me, and making sure everything will be right. It's an inconvenience but I'm comfortable with him handling the situation.

I'll keep y'all updated
Old 04-16-2015, 02:23 PM   #178
Registered Member
Regular

Another update:

Comp received the turbo, inspected it and found leaking O-rings, which they proceeded to replace and then rebalanced the turbo (all covered by the warranty). It's currently on the way back. In the mean-time, car will get an AEM meth kit installed, and MPT will advance the timing by 2 or 3 degrees to take a little advantage of it (they estimated about 5-6 degrees max to take full advantage, but we want to use it mostly as a safety blanket), so expecting about another 20-25 HP increase.

I'm hoping to have everything buttoned up and back on the road next week, and in the next few months I'll be putting about 6-8k miles on the car (going to be temporarily stationed in Dallas). The kit is solid, and I'm not worried about its longevity. At this point, more worried about the seals in the turbo. We'll see everything fares.

At this point still not worried about the engine. A good tune goes a long way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2015, 02:41 PM   #179
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
You're going to love spraying methanol. I love the smell of it ... smells like horsepower lol. The affects on a hot day are night and day difference.

I'd imagine you'll be spraying around 7 gph or so? When i tune people on meth i like them to have a larger nozzle than they will need and a progressive controller, basically spraying 70% of a 10 gph nozzle would be 7 gph roughly - its not perfect, but still.
Anyways, for ****s and giggles one night on a ~370 whp 2.3L we just ran his 10 gph meth nozzle wide open. Ambient temps were in the 60s and his boost air temps were in the low 40s lol. The stuff is amazing on a boosted car, keeps everything fresh and clean too, no carbon build up and crap on the valves.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 04:26 PM   #180
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
I'd imagine you'll be spraying around 7 gph or so? When i tune people on meth i like them to have a larger nozzle than they will need and a progressive controller, basically spraying 70% of a 10 gph nozzle would be 7 gph roughly - its not perfect, but still.
Anyways, for ****s and giggles one night on a ~370 whp 2.3L we just ran his 10 gph meth nozzle wide open. Ambient temps were in the 60s and his boost air temps were in the low 40s lol. The stuff is amazing on a boosted car, keeps everything fresh and clean too, no carbon build up and crap on the valves.
I do miss the boost. I can't imagine going back to a non-boosted car. And I can't wait to see what it's like with the meth kit.
I'm leaving MPT to handle the gph and figure out the best progressive settings.

But yeah, from the research I've done, the meth injection is equivalent to steam-cleaning the inside of your engine, and the benefits totally outweigh the risks.

When I build the motor, I'll definitely be asking MPT to tune as aggressive as they can, squeezing out the horses wherever possible.
Old 04-16-2015, 04:33 PM   #181
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacechalklate View Post
I do miss the boost. I can't imagine going back to a non-boosted car.
Thanks A- hole
Haha jk jk
Hope you're back on the road soon

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 11:32 AM   #182
Registered Member
Regular

Turbo is now re-installed and headers swapped back to freshly ceramic-coated stock. Exhaust and interior sounds are a little bit different now, not as loud.

I have to break-in the turbo again, for about 500 miles. Trying to keep it between 2-3k RPM, but it's tough because I can hear the turbo trying to spool (making that electric fan sound again) at close to 3k RPM. It almost sounds like someone stuck a kazoo on the turbo. I'm hoping this time it's due to it not having been fully broke in yet.

I'm not going to lie, I am a little disappointed with the turbo (which I had selected and requested them to use in place of the turbo that was originally part of the kit). MPT and Bomber have done their best to take care of me, which I appreciate. Comp covered the affected parts under warranty, and rebalanced the turbo, which I also appreciate. But at this point, I'm a little worried about the reliability of the turbo (there was no substantial explanation as to what happened, what caused the leaks, and if the leaks were considered normal or not, etc.) - so I have very little information. The one thing that was made very clear to me, was that Comp would no longer cover the turbo under warranty should the turbo happen to have issues due to lack of oil.

There's a part that you can purchase (which I did) to help you re-oil the turbo, which they suggested topping off every 2-3k miles. The whole reason I went with oil-less was because I thought it'd be easier to maintain!

So, I'll keep a close eye on the turbo, and make sure it gets treated as per Comp's recommendations. But, pending my experience for the next 3 months and 5k miles, I'll probably be changing the turbo for my final setup.

Meth tune is scheduled for this Friday.

Update on Bomber Kit to market:
Bomber Kits are currently available only locally, still priced competitively with LPF's kit. They're also looking for someone to test some Garret turbos. They really want to make sure the kit is solid before making it available to everyone and shipping it out. So, if anyone in the Central Florida area's interested, feel free to contact Bomber or let me know and I'll relay the message (I'm not sponsored or anything, but I can contact on your behalf). Seeing the results of my turbo, it definitely looks like they won't be offering Comp with the Bomber kit - but if you really want to (and you have better luck than I), they can make it work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire View Post
Thanks A- hole
Haha jk jk
Hope you're back on the road soon
Haha I know how you feel man. It's a terrible, terrible feeling.
Old 04-21-2015, 01:06 PM   #183
Registered Member
Regular

Mind sharing what Garrett Turbo they plan on using? Been a longtime Garrett fan myself.
Old 04-23-2015, 11:23 AM   #184
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Mind sharing what Garrett Turbo they plan on using? Been a longtime Garrett fan myself.
Wish I could, I don't know and didn't really ask. I'm not a rep for them or anything. But maybe one day!

I have a whole bunch of my own stuff to sort out before doing that though. Starting with getting my car back in boostable condition

If I happen to find out though, I'll definitely let you know.

And after this experience, I'm most likely going to invest in another daily. Lol.
Old 06-09-2015, 02:46 PM   #185
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I really hate bumping old threads but anymore word on this kit? it seems like the turbo world just died out.
Lan_Evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 02:46 PM   #186
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
I believe whitelightnin said itblew up the care
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 03:11 PM   #187
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I knew about it blowing the car but I'm pretty sure they went back to the drawing board. I'm pretty sure its the TQ thats killing these motors which is why the procharger kit is doing okay. I honestly don't believe I've seen a procharged go above 400tq at the wheels and turbo kits are doing that on 8+ lbs
Lan_Evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 03:23 PM   #188
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lan_Evo View Post
I knew about it blowing the car but I'm pretty sure they went back to the drawing board. I'm pretty sure its the TQ thats killing these motors which is why the procharger kit is doing okay. I honestly don't believe I've seen a procharged go above 400tq at the wheels and turbo kits are doing that on 8+ lbs
^^ This. Its never HP that blows a motor, its always the torque. The further you can push a torque peak into the RPM band, the longer the motor will last.

The fact that a lot of these turbo kits are making more torque than horsepower shows they are undersized for this application. This is typically ok in a street car as you end up with a fat mid range, but top end HP suffers, and then obviously your torque peak is much lower in the RPM band.

The flip side is a larger turbo, which consequently will come with more lag, a little less "pep" and "fun" around town, but you cant have your cake and eat it too. We can get big turbos to spool very well now days, but transient response is something that is pretty much dependent on the size of the turbo being ran.
Old 06-09-2015, 04:42 PM   #189
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
^^ This. Its never HP that blows a motor, its always the torque. The further you can push a torque peak into the RPM band, the longer the motor will last.

The fact that a lot of these turbo kits are making more torque than horsepower shows they are undersized for this application. This is typically ok in a street car as you end up with a fat mid range, but top end HP suffers, and then obviously your torque peak is much lower in the RPM band.

The flip side is a larger turbo, which consequently will come with more lag, a little less "pep" and "fun" around town, but you cant have your cake and eat it too. We can get big turbos to spool very well now days, but transient response is something that is pretty much dependent on the size of the turbo being ran.
I really don't know anything about this subject but can't twin turbos help this situation?
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 06:13 PM   #190
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
I believe whitelightnin said itblew up the care

It did and the owner sold them the car. They were going working on it according to his schedule, now they can do it whenever now. No real updates
Old 06-10-2015, 06:22 AM   #191
Registered Member
Regular

All I ever saw posted was that it started leaking coolant. So probably head gasket blew unless I missed where they said it was something more extreme, which is possible.
SouthernCyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 07:35 AM   #192
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
I really don't know anything about this subject but can't twin turbos help this situation?
Well, it just depends, but inherently id be tempted to say no.

The reason i say it depends is because if you have two larger turbos, it will essentially be the same as one large turbo - less low end torque, and the torque peak gets pushed further into the RPM band.

The flip side is with two smaller turbos you have the same issue as 1 smaller turbo, your peak torque is much lower in the RPM band.

There are tons of different things that shape when and where a turbo will hit, least of which is the tune. The AR of the exhaust housing, if its journal or ball bearing, cast wheels or billet, what type of turbo manifold(s) you have ... a lot of factors involved.
Old 06-10-2015, 09:20 AM   #193
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
There are tons of different things that shape when and where a turbo will hit, least of which is the tune. The AR of the exhaust housing, if its journal or ball bearing, cast wheels or billet, what type of turbo manifold(s) you have ... a lot of factors involved.
Whether or not you're spraying meh before the turbo

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:38 AM   #194
Registered Member
Regular

wet compression = beast mode.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang