MPT / Bomber Performance Turbo Kit - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-09-2014, 10:45 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
MPT / Bomber Performance Turbo Kit

I'm starting this new thread to post information about the new turbo kit currently being developed by MPT and Bomber Performance for the 2011-2014 V6s.

I will be completely transparent.

Here's the current situation of the kit:
ETA to Market
It is days away from being completed on the first car, and Bomber will be creating jigs based off this initial kit.
My car is the second that will be used to test the accuracy of the jigs, with a planned install date anytime between next weekend and early January (depending on our schedules). Therefore, the kit should be ready come January.

Kit Details (To my current knowledge)
Pricing: TBD - though I have heard many times it will be priced competitively with LPF's kit.
Plumbing: It will retain both stock or shorty headers, and will replace the mid-pipe (I say both, because LPF's kit replaces one of the headers). Will not work with long-tubes.
Turbo: TBD - I'm not sure what they will end up with for the mass production of the kit, but Bomber / MPT have worked with us closely according to our budget. I don't know what turbo the first car chose to go with, but I requested an oil-less turbo (same as LPF), and they sized the following model for me:
CT4X-6765-3BB with a .82 AR stainless V-band housing
Tuning: MPT will offer an option for a canned tune. I will reconfirm this and see how it affects the pricing.

I will post pictures of the kit as soon as he's finished.

As far as my mods go (ignore my signature), I just went through a round this last weekend to help accommodate the power increase and keep the rear end planted:
Suspension:
-Whiteline LCA, Relocation brackets, UCA and Watts-Link
Drivetrain:
-3.55 Gears with Trac-Lock Carbon Disc rebuild
-DSS Aluminum Drive Shaft
-MGW Shifter
-Blowfish Bracket

My car is not lowered and running on other-wise stock components.

The baseline Dyno that I took right after I had the suspension and drivetrain installed read 288/276 HP/TQ, dyno'd at MPT with the following intake/exhaust mods:
-Steeda CAI
-BBK 73mm Throttle Body
-BBK Shorty Headers (Ceramic)
-MRT Catted H-Pipe
-Magnaflow Competition Axlebacks

I have chosen to have installed (in addition to the turbo):
-80 lb injectors (Siemens Deka)
-Ported Intake Manifolds (Upper and Lower)
-GT Overaxle Pipes & Axleback (opens the V6's 2.25" to 2.5" diameter)

I'll add pictures soon, and provide updates accordingly.

Feel free to ask any questions and thanks for reading!

Pics:
Hotside Piping of Turbo ("Teaser") - Great Fitment with Plenty of Ground Clearance. Wastegates have not yet been installed in these pics, but will be recirculated back into the downpipe to minimize the excessive noise (The weedwhacker sound in LPF's kit).
https://farm9.static...94834445b_m.jpg
https://farm8.static...fa9931ff7_m.jpg
https://farm8.static...a4690ee69_m.jpg

Before / After Suspension Mods
https://farm8.static...eb1da565e_m.jpg
https://farm8.static...d616e88c7_m.jpg
spacechalklate is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2014, 09:13 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Sweet! Can't wait to see the final product.
RaceRed3.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 09:16 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Nice, very excited to see how this kit performs.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2014, 11:55 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

The GT overaxles are 2.75". They have a spot that slightly tapers on 2.5. But MPT themselves (specifically Ken) said to stay away from that large. 2.5" is as big as you want to go and 2.25 will likely be just fine.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 12:06 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

For Na. For boosted damn near no exhaust would be best, especially post turbo.
Old 12-10-2014, 12:31 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
For Na. For boosted damn near no exhaust would be best, especially post turbo.
I'll have to find the email but based on his experience, Ken the lead calibrator at MPT said he would only recommend a 2.5" catback for boosted applications on the 3.7L. Not to say 2.75 will be "harmful" but that's what they and Borla said as i was considering the same route.

2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
Old 12-10-2014, 12:37 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Here is the email:

The guys at Borla are correct. 2.75” is probably over-kill for a naturally aspirated 3.7L. It’s probably over-kill for a forced induction 3.7 even.

To give you an idea of the amount of flow that size piping will support. Our Ecoboost F150 runs a single 3” exhaust split into two 2” pipes after the Magnaflow muffler and over the axle. Our truck makes 600 whp and over 600 lb/ft tq at the wheels on nitrous, and has no signs of exhaust restriction.

We also recently finished tuning a twin turbo*2013 GT that made nearly 1200 whp. Hos car runs dual 3” from front to back, and also has an electric cut-out on each side. At 11 psi and 900 whp, we saw no performance increase by opening the exhaust cut-outs. Only at 16 psi and 1000 whp did we see an increase in performance. Opening the cut-outs gained 186 whp.

So, as you can see 2.75” piping is designed to support a pretty extreme amount of power. Going too large slows exhaust flow, which reduces scavenging, reduces back-pressure, increases noise, and typically decreases power. This is also something that can’t be “tuned out”.

Personally I’d run 2.25” all the way back, and 2.5” if you’re thinking of forced induction in the future.

Ken Osborne

* Lead Calibrator

Old 12-10-2014, 12:46 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
I feel like switching to a GT H-back just for the heck of it to put that to the test (at the track of course).

This turbo kit looks very promising. Recirculated wastegate is fantastic, can't wait to see how all the piping works out. Will they be making your midpipe bolt on for a GT catback?
Old 12-10-2014, 01:04 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I got that opinion first from Borla which I dismissed slightly as a marketing pitch as he then went on to tell me about their catback, but when an impartial source like MPT confirms it, I'm inclined to believe them.

Old 12-10-2014, 01:13 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I guess all my experience is turbo 4's which utilize a single exhaust. 3.7 / 2 is only 1.85 lol, whereas i'm used to dealing with 2.3L.
Old 12-10-2014, 01:42 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Too late on the GT OTA and Mufflers. They were sort of an impulse buy, and I was under the impression that they were 2.5"

Anyways, not trying to turn this into a he-said she-said, but I had asked Ken with MPT a few months ago regarding the matter, and this is was what was stated:

2.5” exhaust will be plenty large enough for 500+ whp, so no need to go larger. The larger piping should give it a nice tone as well. You won’t need to go drastic with mufflers since the turbo will quiet the exhaust considerably. Usually just running a pair of nice straight through mufflers, like Magnaflows, is enough to give the car a really nice exhaust note.

Regardless, I will be running the GT pipes, since I do plan on building the motor and taking it around 700+ RWHP in a few years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveWire003 View Post
I feel like switching to a GT H-back just for the heck of it to put that to the test (at the track of course).

This turbo kit looks very promising. Recirculated wastegate is fantastic, can't wait to see how all the piping works out. Will they be making your midpipe bolt on for a GT catback?
Bomber is basing the V6 kit off the one he made for his GT. From what I understood, the mid pipes and cat-back are actually different lengths from the V6, though someone will need to confirm that.

He will confirm the jig with my stock V6 exhaust, and then will be making a special fitment for the GT OTA pipes that I'd like to get installed.

Hope that makes sense.
Old 12-10-2014, 01:52 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, for a turbo car I don't see 2.75 being "harmful" just unnecessary and might sound like crap. But since you already have them, it's a moot point.

Old 12-10-2014, 02:14 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM91 View Post
The GT overaxles are 2.75". They have a spot that slightly tapers on 2.5. But MPT themselves (specifically Ken) said to stay away from that large. 2.5" is as big as you want to go and 2.25 will likely be just fine.

Great job bro. Looking forward ti seeing your dyno and track numbers. I see you. Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacechalklate View Post
I'm starting this new thread to post information about the new turbo kit currently being developed by MPT and Bomber Performance for the 2011-2014 V6s.

I will be completely transparent.

Here's the current situation of the kit:
ETA to Market
It is days away from being completed on the first car, and Bomber will be creating jigs based off this initial kit.
My car is the second that will be used to test the accuracy of the jigs, with a planned install date anytime between next weekend and early January (depending on our schedules). Therefore, the kit should be ready come January.

Kit Details (To my current knowledge)
Pricing: TBD - though I have heard many times it will be priced competitively with LPF's kit.
Plumbing: It will retain both stock or shorty headers, and will replace the mid-pipe (I say both, because LPF's kit replaces one of the headers). Will not work with long-tubes.
Turbo: TBD - I'm not sure what they will end up with for the mass production of the kit, but Bomber / MPT have worked with us closely according to our budget. I don't know what turbo the first car chose to go with, but I requested an oil-less turbo (same as LPF), and they sized the following model for me:
CT4X-6765-3BB with a .82 AR stainless V-band housing
Tuning: MPT will offer an option for a canned tune. I will reconfirm this and see how it affects the pricing.

I will post pictures of the kit as soon as he's finished.

As far as my mods go (ignore my signature), I just went through a round this last weekend to help accommodate the power increase and keep the rear end planted:
Suspension:
-Whiteline LCA, Relocation brackets, UCA and Watts-Link
Drivetrain:
-3.55 Gears with Trac-Lock Carbon Disc rebuild
-DSS Aluminum Drive Shaft
-MGW Shifter
-Blowfish Bracket

My car is not lowered and running on other-wise stock components.

The baseline Dyno that I took right after I had the suspension and drivetrain installed read 288/276 HP/TQ, dyno'd at MPT with the following intake/exhaust mods:
-Steeda CAI
-BBK 73mm Throttle Body
-BBK Shorty Headers (Ceramic)
-MRT Catted H-Pipe
-Magnaflow Competition Axlebacks

I have chosen to have installed (in addition to the turbo):
-80 lb injectors (Siemens Deka)
-Ported Intake Manifolds (Upper and Lower)
-GT Overaxle Pipes & Axleback (opens the V6's 2.25" to 2.5" diameter)

I'll add pictures soon, and provide updates accordingly.

Feel free to ask any questions and thanks for reading!

Pics:
Hotside Piping of Turbo ("Teaser") - Great Fitment with Plenty of Ground Clearance. Wastegates have not yet been installed in these pics, but will be recirculated back into the downpipe to minimize the excessive noise (The weedwhacker sound in LPF's kit).
https://farm9.static...94834445b_m.jpg
https://farm8.static...fa9931ff7_m.jpg
https://farm8.static...a4690ee69_m.jpg

Before / After Suspension Mods
https://farm8.static...eb1da565e_m.jpg
https://farm8.static...d616e88c7_m.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1418242429220.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	171509  
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 02:29 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Great job bro. Looking forward ti seeing your dyno and track numbers. I see you. Lol
Am I missing something? Lol

Old 12-10-2014, 03:39 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM91 View Post
Am I missing something? Lol

Sorry bro. Not sure what happened. My comment was for the OP. Lol.
Old 12-10-2014, 03:57 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Haha nice. I see you too!
Old 12-10-2014, 05:21 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Subbed!

Can't wait to see how this kit looks and turns out. Of course I wish y'all all the luck.

And on a side note damn that a good looking rear end!!
Lan_Evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 09:09 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Haha nice. I see you too!
That's me bro. Ha ha. I really like cyclone mustangs on FB. Another great site to talk V6. Lol.
Old 12-10-2014, 09:26 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Are you located close enough to attend the AM car show next year? It would be cool to check this kit out in person.
paintmann111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 10:34 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Not even kidding... I was looking at my engine bay a couple weeks ago and thinking how I would design an exhaust manifold if I were to ever make a turbo kit for my car. It would've looked remarkably like the one you guys have shown.

It's super simple, looks efficient, and seems to be extremely easy to put on.

By any chance will this be a twin scroll setup? I feel like our v6 with its firing order is just begging for it and it's hard to tell from the pictures you guys posted.
superblur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 08:29 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lan_Evo View Post
Subbed!
And on a side note damn that a good looking rear end!!
Hey thanks! Yeah I'm glad that when I look underneath from now on, I won't be staring at and feeling like I bought a huge pile of rust. Thank God.

Quote:
That's me bro. Ha ha. I really like cyclone mustangs on FB. Another great site to talk V6. Lol.
Yep! Really makes info a lot easier to find. Except I wish all the info was on the website instead so that way people would stop asking the same questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintmann111 View Post
Are you located close enough to attend the AM car show next year? It would be cool to check this kit out in person.
Where and when is the AM car show? I go back and forth between Sanford/Orlando and Miami/Ft. Lauderdale areas a lot, so if it's somewhere in Florida I can most likely make it. Or if you live near those areas maybe we can grab a beer or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superblur View Post
By any chance will this be a twin scroll setup? I feel like our v6 with its firing order is just begging for it and it's hard to tell from the pictures you guys posted.
Good question! I'll find out and let you know.
Old 12-11-2014, 08:34 AM   #22

Wow can't wait to see the final product.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
BlackStang305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 08:35 AM   #23

The AM carshow is in PA in August

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
BlackStang305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 08:43 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackStang305 View Post
The AM carshow is in PA in August
Haha that's a little far out for me. If you ever find yourself in Florida, shoot me a message!
Old 12-11-2014, 09:32 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Will do, but if I'm in Florida I'll probably be flying since I live in CT. Lol
Old 12-11-2014, 10:31 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Hey thanks! Yeah I'm glad that when I look underneath from now on, I won't be staring at and feeling like I bought a huge pile of rust. Thank God.

Yep! Really makes info a lot easier to find. Except I wish all the info was on the website instead so that way people would stop asking the same questions.

Where and when is the AM car show? I go back and forth between Sanford/Orlando and Miami/Ft. Lauderdale areas a lot, so if it's somewhere in Florida I can most likely make it. Or if you live near those areas maybe we can grab a beer or something.

Good question! I'll find out and let you know.
Very true. It would great if the other V6 members on here joined the Cyclone FB page as well. 😎
Old 12-11-2014, 02:11 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Very true. It would great if the other V6 members on here joined the Cyclone FB page as well. 😎
Done and done

Well... done and "pending"
WordySanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 02:35 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordySanchez View Post
Done and done

Well... done and "pending"
Sweet bro. It won't be long now. Lol
Old 12-11-2014, 06:12 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Hm.. it won't let me update the OP anymore. Can someone help me with this? I don't want to keep adding posts for updates. Would prefer to have it all in the OP so people can read it in one place!
Old 12-12-2014, 07:28 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Seems to be a common problem on this site. You'll have to PM a mod, or go over to the help section and post and they'll update OP for you.
Old 12-12-2014, 10:09 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
Seems to be a common problem on this site. You'll have to PM a mod, or go over to the help section and post and they'll update OP for you.
I just received a message about it. It's not a "problem" - it's just how they're setup. The ability to edit posts expire after a certain amount of time (I think 1-2 days?)

I wanted to keep the thread clean by putting all the info on the OP, so people don't need to spend time searching (in case the thread ends up being pages long) - but looks like I'll just have to keep adding posts.

Anyways. Car scheduled to be dropped off on the 26th, with pickup right after New Year's. So I don't anticipate any updates until around then... sorry guys!
Old 12-12-2014, 03:01 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Not to be off topic, but - what's the cyclone Facebook page?

On topic- love MPT, excited to see this kit when it's ready

Sent from my 831C using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 12-12-2014, 04:25 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
https://www.facebook.com/groups/CycloneMustangs/
WordySanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 05:30 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue1993 View Post
Not to be off topic, but - what's the cyclone Facebook page?

On topic- love MPT, excited to see this kit when it's ready

Sent from my 831C using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Its a Facebook page for people who strictly have 3.7 mustangs.
Old 12-12-2014, 07:35 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Just joined it...pending approval. lol

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang