CAI and LT Headers - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-10-2014, 04:35 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

CAI and LT Headers

I know what you guys are saying," oh look another CAI thread." And I know a lot of you are initially going to tell me to use the search bar, sorry to disappoint you but I didn't find my answer with the search bar.

I have bbk LT headers with a catted x pipe with the stock intake. From the threads I have read most people have said to not get a CAI unless you are going with forced induction since the stock intake is so good. Is this true? Now that I have better exhaust flow wouldn't it make sense to upgrade to a CAI? A guy in my area is selling a steeda CAI for $250. Would I simply be waisting my money, or would I see a good amount of gains?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
3.7L is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2014, 04:46 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Are you tuned?
DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 04:49 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Yes, I have Bama tunes

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2014, 05:01 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
Replacing your stock intake for a CAI will help, especially with your LT's. A tune on top of the CAI will further benefit the power and you shouldn't lose mileage, however with the additional HP your go-fast foot might press down more often
applebit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 05:24 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
A CAI isn't going to show you any gains. It looks good and adds some sound in comparison with the stock (which for all intents and purposes is already a CAI thanks to the snorkel system it has) Case closed.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 06:01 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM91 View Post
A CAI isn't going to show you any gains. It looks good and adds some sound in comparison with the stock (which for all intents and purposes is already a CAI thanks to the snorkel system it has) Case closed.

I can understand this logic for a stock 3.7l mustang, but I struggle to understand why this would make sense with a car that has better exhaust flow than a stock 3.7l mustang. Care to elaborate?

Old 12-10-2014, 06:04 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.7L View Post
I can understand this logic for a stock 3.7l mustang, but I struggle to understand why this would make sense with a car that has better exhaust flow than a stock 3.7l mustang. Care to elaborate?

Because you aren't changing anything. The intake pipe is the same size therefore the MAF size is the same. (Unless you get the Steeda, then it's slightly larger). Then the filter is just more convenient, doesn't provide any extra air. Then, the new CAI reuses the same snorkel system as stock. (Assuming you get a quality CAI that is ).

You get better sound due to no baffles in the intake pipe and the open top.

2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
Old 12-10-2014, 06:13 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I am considering getting the steeda intake.. According to what you are saying it will still only provide minimal gains? If this is true why does steeda their intake provides 20-30hp with a tune?

Old 12-10-2014, 06:14 PM   #9
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
I am considering getting the steeda intake.. According to what you are saying it will still only provide minimal gains? If this is true why does steeda their intake provides 20-30hp with a tune?

The tune...

"Holy crap bro. You're a genius." - 2011 Kona Blue
au01st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 06:15 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by au01st View Post
The tune...
Pretty much this. The Steeda may give you SOME extra power, but nothing you're really going to feel. That one requires a tune because the MAF diameter is larger. If you don't tune for it, you can run lean. Meaning too much air, not enough fuel.

Old 12-10-2014, 06:21 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:

^^^This^^^

Quote:
Because you aren't changing anything. The intake pipe is the same size therefore the MAF size is the same. (Unless you get the Steeda, then it's slightly larger). Then the filter is just more convenient, doesn't provide any extra air. Then, the new CAI reuses the same snorkel system as stock. (Assuming you get a quality CAI that is ).

You get better sound due to no baffles in the intake pipe and the open top.

^^^And this^^^

Quote:
Pretty much this. The Steeda may give you SOME extra power, but nothing you're really going to feel. That one requires a tune because the MAF diameter is larger. If you don't tune for it, you can run lean. Meaning too much air, not enough fuel.

^^^And finally this^^^

I'm a fan of how mine sounds and looks, but even tuned I felt no difference. Unlike our crappy drive shaft ford actually did a great job with the factory airbox.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 06:30 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

So even though I have LT headers and a tune I will still not notice any gain from a steeda CAI?

Old 12-10-2014, 06:34 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So even though I have LT headers and a tune I will still not notice any gain from a steeda CAI?

That's a big Ole nope. You'll get some more sound, it will look good and be easy to clean. But power? Nah.

Old 12-10-2014, 06:36 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

That is very surprising that I will not see any gains from a steeda CAI

Old 12-10-2014, 06:44 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
They bundle them up as a gimmick. That way, they can advertise that massive power spike you get from buying the bundle. What they don't tell you is that the tune is what gives you the power spike in that bundle and the CAI is there for looks and sound.

It's all in the marketing.
DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 08:26 PM   #16
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
Quote:

This.

You'd have to do a lot more work to make the factory intake be the choke point of your system.
Old 12-11-2014, 07:39 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I have a full header back exhaust on my 5.0, and 100% stock top end, down to the factory paper filter. Your 3.7 uses the same intake as my car, and i can promise I'm moving a lot more air than you with no restriction.

The steeda is a nice piece, spend the money if you want, but don't expect large gains. There likely will be "some" gains, they will just be marginal.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 09:20 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
I have a full header back exhaust on my 5.0, and 100% stock top end, down to the factory paper filter. Your 3.7 uses the same intake as my car, and i can promise I'm moving a lot more air than you with no restriction.

The steeda is a nice piece, spend the money if you want, but don't expect large gains. There likely will be "some" gains, they will just be marginal.

Awesome, thank you for the sound advice! I'll take my money and put it toward gears instead

Old 12-11-2014, 09:24 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
That is a much better idea haha.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
cai