Are Nitrogen-filled tires necessary? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-10-2014, 04:59 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Are Nitrogen-filled tires necessary?

So one of my tires got a puncture recently so I went to my local Firestone to replace it. My Mustang is equipped with the Performance Pack so I have nitrogen-filled tires. I asked if they carried nitrogen filled tires and they replied "unless you're going on a rally or constantly going to track days there's no need for it. Then I went to a local speed shop and they basically said the same thing, they air filled tires are completely fine for everyday driving. So what do you guys think. Are they a rip-off or are there advantages to spending a little extra $ to have them filled?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
MadGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2014, 05:20 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

As someone who has sold, installed and repaired tires for a living I can tell you 100% you don't need it. The main benefit of nitrogen is that it is more resistant to temperature changes, which cause fluctuations in the tires pressure. If you check your tires pressure even once a month you have negated any advantage they have in a daily driving scenario.

For track use, the same applies, but since the temperature changes are considerably more than someone who is DD the car, it has its advantages. As temperatures increase, PSI increases and the opposite when the tires cool. Thus having a more stable PSI means you have more predictable and consistent handling/grip.
paintmann111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 05:21 PM   #3
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Exactly what he said.

Also nitrogen molecules are larger, so they are less likely to escape causing the pressure to lower over time.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2014, 05:55 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

The only reason that the pressure is more consistent with temperature is because the process of separating nitrogen from air causes it to be extremely dry. The Ideal Gas Law shows that dry air would perform exactly the same as dry nitrogen as there's no accommodation in that formula for the type of gas. The problem is that most compressed air sources use compressors that just compress normal ambient air. What you will find is that most of these sources are poorly maintained and tend to accumulate moisture.

When that moisture gets into your tire you now have a substance (water) that can change state from liquid to gas with temperature. This changing of state can cause large fluctuations in pressure at higher temperatures like one might encounter in racing, For street use your tires won't get hot enough for that to make much difference and as you are not generally driving at the limit of traction, even if you did have large pressure changes, they would likely be inconsequential and unnoticeable in normal driving.

If the tire shop include nitrogen as part of their service - great, but I wouldn't pay a nickle extra for it. After all air is already 80% nitrogen.

As far as molecular size it's not that simple. The process in which a gas is lost from a closed container, such as a tire, is called permeability. Permeability is a factor of simple diffusion (which is related to molecular size) and the solubility of the gas in the material the container is made from. Try filling a balloon with CO2 and a second balloon with air and then monitor their deflation. In spite of CO2 being a much larger molecule than either oxygen or nitrogen, the CO2 filled balloon will deflate so quickly you'll think it's got a leak. The diffusion coefficient of the permeability is much slower that for air but because the CO2 is so much more soluble in the rubber, there are many more molecules making the trip across the rubber at any given time.
MGW, Blow Fish, AM Hood Struts
Tinted, Borla Touring AB, ProCal Tune
Full Shelby/Kicker Audio Upgrade
WJBertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 06:01 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Here's an interesting article about using Nitrogen in tires...
https://ahotcupofjoe.wordpress.com/2...-tires-a-scam/

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 06:13 PM   #6
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Whenever I hear someone ask if something is necessary...

"Holy crap bro. You're a genius." - 2011 Kona Blue
au01st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 06:23 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by au01st View Post
Whenever I hear someone ask if something is necessary...

But I like the taste!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 06:24 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I am surprised people charge for nitrogen, the only reason I got it was for the pressure changes with the temperature, but it's free everywhere I checked so I thought why not.

G.H.I.G 2014 V6 Mustang
MMD Ducktail spoiler
Roush axle back exhaust
Black upper and lower retro billet grille
MMD 551c matte black rims
Eno07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 06:26 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eno07 View Post
I am surprised people charge for nitrogen, the only reason I got it was for the pressure changes with the temperature, but it's free everywhere I checked so I thought why not.

G.H.I.G 2014 V6 Mustang
MMD Ducktail spoiler
Roush axle back exhaust
It's the opposite here where I am. If you can even find it outside major cities, tire shops will charge you about $2.50 a tire on normal passenger car tires. (At least the ones I've scouted out)

2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 06:30 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM91 View Post
It's the opposite here where I am. If you can even find it outside major cities, tire shops will charge you about $2.50 a tire on normal passenger car tires. (At least the ones I've scouted out)

That's weird

G.H.I.G 2014 V6 Mustang
MMD Ducktail spoiler
Roush axle back exhaust
Eno07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 06:33 PM   #11
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
Are Nitrogen-filled tires necessary?

Also keep in mind that the air we breathe is almost 80% N2.

And unless they are able to vacuum every last bit of air out of the tire, you're going to have more than just pure N2 in there

It's just a scam.
Old 12-11-2014, 12:19 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Yup.

-Jeff
MGW, Blow Fish, AM Hood Struts
Tinted, Borla Touring AB, ProCal Tune
Full Shelby/Kicker Audio Upgrade
WJBertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 01:29 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

It was started as a story about how racers use nitrogen in their cars, and so every wannabe racer started doing it. Tire shops found it easier to jump on the bandwagon than argue. Maintaining your tires with pressure checks, rotation, and inspection will do more than nitrogen.
Bear376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 05:39 AM   #14
Staff

Regular
Staff

it ain't necessary but it's good for the seller. This was one of the lines I X'd out on my order form along with VIN etch. Nothing wrong with them but not at what most dealers try to get. Truthfully I wouldn't pay $20 for both if that's what they wanted.
Old 12-11-2014, 05:47 AM   #15
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Hmmm. I heard that id made the car 30% lighter, and therefore you would get 4 to 5 MPG more using it in your tires.

Darn...another myth brought to fact.
Old 12-11-2014, 07:27 AM   #16
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Hmmm. I heard that id made the car 30% lighter, and therefore you would get 4 to 5 MPG more using it in your tires.

Only if you get it dialed in with your tune.
Old 12-11-2014, 09:39 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post

That's why I fill mine with helium.

It works.

1989 Sonic Blue LX Coupe, 349 ci, TW heads, TFS Track Heat Intake, 75mm Accufab TB, 80mm ProM, 30 lb. inj, TKO, 3.73, 31 spline w/ TruTrac, MAC 1-5/8" LT headers w/ H pipe, Flowmaster, electric fan Moates QH
391 rwhp & 424 rwtq...Mustang Dyno 11.5@122mph
smurf stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 10:40 AM   #18
Staff

Regular
Staff

Molten lead, although you might think the weight would work against you for those of us that like blasting down twisty roads it lowers your center of gravity.
Old 12-11-2014, 11:25 AM   #19
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
Molten lead, although you might think the weight would work against you for those of us that like blasting down twisty roads it lowers your center of gravity.
Combine that with enriched plutonium wheel weights when balancing wheels and you stay shielded from radiation while being able to generate enough power for the flux capacitor. But don't try this without a tune!

"Holy crap bro. You're a genius." - 2011 Kona Blue
au01st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 11:44 AM   #20
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM91 View Post
Most of the few places that offer it around here do not charge for N2, however one of the Ford dealers added it as a $100 dealer option on new Mustangs. Now that's a rip-off. This was the same dealer that once added $7K to all his GT500s as a "Market Adjustment" fee. Found out later that he had to drop it or watch the cars just sit on his lot.
2002 Black/Red GT (Ginger)
2011 Red Candy Metallic V6 (Manfred)
2016 Magnetic Metallic GT (Susie II)
bigmac3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang