Tint, louvers, spoiler etc - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-11-2014, 04:55 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Tint, louvers, spoiler etc

so okay guys, i've got a bone stock 2014 v6 Premium. I don't have any tint on the windows, no louvers over the rear 2 windows, no spoiler, and no exhaust.

when i feel like spending the money, i'm going to throw down the $700 or so on the Borla S-Types, as I've done some research and think they might be exactly what i want...

but first, I really want to do some stuff with the windows and tinting. how much have you guys paid for tinting? at a place by me here in central NJ, i was quoted $300 for the two tiny back windows and the rear window. i thought that was honestly kinda ridiculous, especially since those windows are so small.

my second thought, if that price is pretty much what it'll be, is to maybe just buy rear window louvers. how do they typically attach? do i definitely need to buy the window "blackout" stick on things first, and then attach the louver? have you guys noticed that putting them on makes a blindspot even worse? i typically don't look out that window since the mirrors are really all i need to check behind me, but occassionally i do look out that window.

the louvers do look cool, though, but a tinted rear window would look sick on a black car, as it would just all be flush. or maybe just put those blackout things on there for $25 each, and not even tint it, and only tint the rear window?

and as for a spoiler, I really can't decide what i want. i don't want anything huge; even the CS spoiler seems kinda big. i wish mine just had that stock little mustang one, but on american muscle, unpainted they're like $130 bucks already, and then i'd probably have to bring it somewhere to be installed. for people who added spoilers, how much did it cost for someone to install it? (i don't feel like f'ing around with drilling holes myself, cuz i just don't trust myself to get it right lol)

what are your thoughts on all of this? anyone have any experience adding these things? thanks!!
MPT Performance Tune, AM Laguna Seca Black 19" Rims, Borla Touring Axlebacks, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace, Airaid Modular Intake Tube, aFe Pro Dry S Air Filter, Mustang GT Grille w/ Foglight Mesh, Taillight Tint, Tinted Door Ventvisors, Diode Dynamics LED's
jayochs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2014, 05:02 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
My tint was 140. 300 is a ripoff imo

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Pony123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 05:09 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Tint, louvers, spoiler etc

Mine was $150 here in southwest Florida but I got a discount from a friend of a friend. Typically around here I found it to be around $200. $300 does seem I bit high to me.

rringler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2014, 05:13 PM   #4
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California
My tint was $150 for the front side windows and the back window. I didn't do the small side windows cause I had louvers on them. No reason to tint the small ones with louvers covering them. Check out my pictures and you'll see what I mean. I did the louvers first and then the tint. At the time, the pre-painted louvers were $159 at American Muscle. The louvers came with 3M Velcro tape so you can take the louvers off to clean the window. Just clean the windows real good before installing the tape and actually follow the instructions. Pretty simple, really, a no-brainer.
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
MustangDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 05:27 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

thanks guys, i knew it was a rip.

i'm looking at these:
Matte Black Mustang Quarter Window Blackout (10-14 All) - Free Shipping

25 bucks for a pair? it seems to stick on just by spraying the window, and then I guess it clings. they have good reviews. seems easy to put on, and easy to take off. MMD has these same ones for like $100, but they're 3m tape i think. i'd spend the 25 bucks to see if i even like the blackout, and then i can decide to buy the louvers, which i'll already have hte blackout on so the rear of the louvers isn't ugly.

i'm gonna get these too:
AVS Smoked Mustang Ventvisors (10-14 All) - Free Shipping

on sale, and it would help immensley so i don't keep getting water on my seat when i open the door when it's wet! lol

so basically i'm gonna have to shop around for tint, and i might just get the rear window tinted. i'm in NJ and it's illegal to have any drivers/passengers side tint (which everybody still has, but i'm worried about being targeted since it's a sports car, and they'll pull me over and write a ticket for the tint.) i really want to get the front tinted, though, so who knows, maybe i'll take the chance. anyone else here in NJ have an issue?
MPT Performance Tune, AM Laguna Seca Black 19" Rims, Borla Touring Axlebacks, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace, Airaid Modular Intake Tube, aFe Pro Dry S Air Filter, Mustang GT Grille w/ Foglight Mesh, Taillight Tint, Tinted Door Ventvisors, Diode Dynamics LED's
Old 12-11-2014, 05:42 PM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayochs View Post
thanks guys, i knew it was a rip.

i'm looking at these:
Matte Black Mustang Quarter Window Blackout (10-14 All) - Free Shipping

25 bucks for a pair? it seems to stick on just by spraying the window, and then I guess it clings. they have good reviews. seems easy to put on, and easy to take off. MMD has these same ones for like $100, but they're 3m tape i think. i'd spend the 25 bucks to see if i even like the blackout, and then i can decide to buy the louvers, which i'll already have hte blackout on so the rear of the louvers isn't ugly.

i'm gonna get these too:
AVS Smoked Mustang Ventvisors (10-14 All) - Free Shipping

on sale, and it would help immensley so i don't keep getting water on my seat when i open the door when it's wet! lol

so basically i'm gonna have to shop around for tint, and i might just get the rear window tinted. i'm in NJ and it's illegal to have any drivers/passengers side tint (which everybody still has, but i'm worried about being targeted since it's a sports car, and they'll pull me over and write a ticket for the tint.) i really want to get the front tinted, though, so who knows, maybe i'll take the chance. anyone else here in NJ have an issue?
Make sure that once you hit 50 posts PM one of the AM guys for the 6% discount code.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 05:43 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal Stangman View Post
Make sure that once you hit 50 posts PM one of the AM guys for the 6% discount code.
oh cool! thank you, never even knew about this!

as for spoilers, i'm thinking this one:
Rear OE Style Mustang Spoiler - Unpainted (10-14 All) - Free Shipping

that's like the stock OEM spoiler, right? only thing that sucks is they don't have a painted version...is the unpainted one black? i really would like to add a small spoiler, but i'm wondering what installation would cost, and painting.

*edit*
oh and i found these, they look pretty cool. anyone have these rear light tints??
http://www.americanmuscle.com/smoked...tint-2013.html

sweeet. ordered 3 things! an early xmas present haha. found a $10 off coupon, too!

came out to $99.97 for:
http://www.americanmuscle.com/quarte...kout-1013.html
http://www.americanmuscle.com/mustan...sors-1014.html

sweet!
Old 12-11-2014, 06:55 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
oh cool! thank you, never even knew about this!

as for spoilers, i'm thinking this one:
Rear OE Style Mustang Spoiler - Unpainted (10-14 All) - Free Shipping

that's like the stock OEM spoiler, right? only thing that sucks is they don't have a painted version...is the unpainted one black? i really would like to add a small spoiler, but i'm wondering what installation would cost, and painting.

*edit*
oh and i found these, they look pretty cool. anyone have these rear light tints??

sweeet. ordered 3 things! an early xmas present haha. found a $10 off coupon, too!

came out to $99.97 for:
http://www.americanmuscle.com/quarte...kout-1013.html
http://www.americanmuscle.com/mustan...sors-1014.html

sweet!

Nice list. I have the stock spoiler like the one you have. I like the size of it as well, mine did come with the car when I bought it so I couldn't give you an install price.

I do have those taillight inserts and absolutely love them. Very easy install also. Here are a few pics, some before and afters.

Not sure if you are interested in these as well but I also added some pics of some of the side marker and back marker tints if you wanted to see the differences. I first bought the front ones and loved them so much I bought the rest of the tint they offered at AM as well. Lol

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1418345350.133964.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	875.9 KB
ID:	171589Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1418345411.377718.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	853.7 KB
ID:	171590Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1418345456.197389.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	918.5 KB
ID:	171591Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1418345487.889353.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	784.4 KB
ID:	171592Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1418345528.494407.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	918.4 KB
ID:	171593Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1418345546.404741.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	768.0 KB
ID:	171594

Old 12-11-2014, 07:29 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
^1 - those tinted pieces look great. Not a big vent visor guy except for on trucks but they do work well.

2008 Roush 427R
2014 V6 Prem
rmb427r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 07:29 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
so okay guys, i've got a bone stock 2014 v6 Premium. I don't have any tint on the windows, no louvers over the rear 2 windows, no spoiler, and no exhaust.

when i feel like spending the money, i'm going to throw down the $700 or so on the Borla S-Types, as I've done some research and think they might be exactly what i want...

but first, I really want to do some stuff with the windows and tinting. how much have you guys paid for tinting? at a place by me here in central NJ, i was quoted $300 for the two tiny back windows and the rear window. i thought that was honestly kinda ridiculous, especially since those windows are so small.

my second thought, if that price is pretty much what it'll be, is to maybe just buy rear window louvers. how do they typically attach? do i definitely need to buy the window "blackout" stick on things first, and then attach the louver? have you guys noticed that putting them on makes a blindspot even worse? i typically don't look out that window since the mirrors are really all i need to check behind me, but occassionally i do look out that window.

the louvers do look cool, though, but a tinted rear window would look sick on a black car, as it would just all be flush. or maybe just put those blackout things on there for $25 each, and not even tint it, and only tint the rear window?

and as for a spoiler, I really can't decide what i want. i don't want anything huge; even the CS spoiler seems kinda big. i wish mine just had that stock little mustang one, but on american muscle, unpainted they're like $130 bucks already, and then i'd probably have to bring it somewhere to be installed. for people who added spoilers, how much did it cost for someone to install it? (i don't feel like f'ing around with drilling holes myself, cuz i just don't trust myself to get it right lol)

what are your thoughts on all of this? anyone have any experience adding these things? thanks!!
Which pair of louvers are you looking at? If they are the eleanor then i would get the black outs but for the ones with the slits i wouldnt bother. I had louvers on my 09 and i didnt think i needed to black out that window. I plan on getting some louvers for my 2014 too but i like having that little bit of visibility even if its not much.
45thMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 06:52 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

thanks for the pics rringler! the tint looks great on the rear lights so I'm excited for that.

as for the louver, i'm not too sure. they seem so expensive for just pieces of taped on plastic lol. the vents are nice, and so are the eleanors.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk.
Old 12-12-2014, 06:56 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
thanks for the pics rringler! the tint looks great on the rear lights so I'm excited for that.

as for the louver, i'm not too sure. they seem so expensive for just pieces of taped on plastic lol. the vents are nice, and so are the eleanors.

Your very welcome. I was 50/50 on the louvers for about the last year. I finally decided I do want some, hoping the wife gets them for me for Christmas.

Old 12-12-2014, 09:03 AM   #13
Site Sponsor

Quote:

Hey

I'll cut right to the chase on this and that's definitely a little too much! I managed to get my entire car done for less than that and i would recommend taking a look at another shop unless they're using some really high quality materials and they do incredible work!

In regards to the Rear Window Louvers the MMD ABS Louvers for example below:

Will attach with the included mounting hardware that is stuck to the window with some 3M Double Sided Adhesive (This comes with 3M Adhesive Promoter as well which helps create a very strong bond) Pretty trick stuff!

At the end of the day it's your car and I might even recommend starting with Tint first before you throw the louvers on just to get an idea of what they're going to look like. If you're looking to get a better idea of how any of our parts will look on your car make sure to check out our customer submitted images where you can filter the pictures by color.

If you're after a little bit more of a subtle spoiler I would take a look at the Rear OE Spoiler below (Here's one on another 11-12 just so you can get an idea of how small it is)

I can't comment on the install and labor costs as it will typically change from shop to shop (Just like with the tint) but I would definitely recommend having it done professionally to be on the safe side!

Please let me know if you're to have any questions at all and I hope this helps!

Alex
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG & 2017 RAPTOR!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMAlexLazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 09:13 AM   #14
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
you should be able to find a used OEM spoiler that someone took off when they upgraded. It'll save a good bit since it'll be painted. I prefer look of tints over louvers (truthfully prefer GT500 spoiler over the little OEM)

If ya want a Race Red OEM I'll install mine on your car if you spring for a GT500 spoiler for me

I'll even treat for lunch
Old 12-12-2014, 12:13 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMAlexLazarus View Post
Hey

I'll cut right to the chase on this and that's definitely a little too much! I managed to get my entire car done for less than that and i would recommend taking a look at another shop unless they're using some really high quality materials and they do incredible work!

In regards to the Rear Window Louvers the MMD ABS Louvers for example below:

Will attach with the included mounting hardware that is stuck to the window with some 3M Double Sided Adhesive (This comes with 3M Adhesive Promoter as well which helps create a very strong bond) Pretty trick stuff!

At the end of the day it's your car and I might even recommend starting with Tint first before you throw the louvers on just to get an idea of what they're going to look like. If you're looking to get a better idea of how any of our parts will look on your car make sure to check out our customer submitted images where you can filter the pictures by color.

If you're after a little bit more of a subtle spoiler I would take a look at the Rear OE Spoiler below (Here's one on another 11-12 just so you can get an idea of how small it is)

I can't comment on the install and labor costs as it will typically change from shop to shop (Just like with the tint) but I would definitely recommend having it done professionally to be on the safe side!

Please let me know if you're to have any questions at all and I hope this helps!

Alex
awesome! thank you very much for the info. I do like the little spoiler, looks good.

Old 12-12-2014, 02:25 PM   #16
Site Sponsor

Quote:
awesome! thank you very much for the info. I do like the little spoiler, looks good.

Hey!

Anytime! It's definitely super subtle. I go back and forth with spoilers and this one is really a happy medium especially if you're looking to stay away from the Boy Ricer type of look.

Let me know if you have any other questions and I'm always around to help!

Alex
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG & 2017 RAPTOR!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMAlexLazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 05:32 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMAlexLazarus View Post
Hey!

Anytime! It's definitely super subtle. I go back and forth with spoilers and this one is really a happy medium especially if you're looking to stay away from the Boy Ricer type of look.

Let me know if you have any other questions and I'm always around to help!

Alex
thanks alex! glad to see AM guys around here! i'm thinking of the small spoiler. the GT/CS spoiler is nice too, but idk if that seems a bit too big to me. only thing i have to get quotes on is installation around here, and painting, since the OEM spoiler from AM is unpainted only.

question, is it black when it's unpainted? like, would keeping it unpainted look bad on a black mustang?
Old 12-14-2014, 08:30 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

got some new windshield wipers yesterday.. i don't think they've ever been changed on this car by the prior owner. got the rain x latitude. 43 bucks for a set.. expensive! what do you guys use?

Old 12-15-2014, 08:16 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
The quote you got is ridiculous. I got all the windows and a strip on the windshield for $160+tax. And that's with a lifetime warranty.
Old 12-15-2014, 08:28 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1418696874.668823.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	785.0 KB
ID:	171977Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1418696899.906233.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	741.3 KB
ID:	171978

Flowmaster force 2 exhaust, jlt cai, x4 bama tuner, carbon fiber dash overlay kit, modern retro shift knob, mmd hood and side scoops, classic quarter louvers, gt500 spoiler, 3.7 and pony emblems, mustang rocker stripes, eibach anti sway roll bar kit, Bbk shorty ceramic tuned headers
elkoritaNAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 05:39 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

I'm thinking of maybe getting the gt/CS spoiler but it's probably an expensive install.. not to mention it's expensive in the first place lol

Old 12-16-2014, 06:52 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
I'm thinking of maybe getting the gt/CS spoiler but it's probably an expensive install.. not to mention it's expensive in the first place lol

You can probably find a local body shop that will do it for less than $100. Just do some calling around and get some quotes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 12-17-2014, 01:15 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
When I was deciding on how I wanted my car to look, the windows were a big factor. On the rear side windows, I started with the black vinyl covers. No real expense, and easy install. After a few weeks using those, I decided to get the solid plastic covers and installed them over the vinyl. They are taped on, and the color match was spot on. Some people hate having the back side windows covered, but I cannot get any real use from them. I do best using the mirrors and backup camera. It does make the back seat darker, and limits passenger visibility.

I had my door windows tinted, but not the rear sides or back. The rear glass was going to be hard on the back deck, no matter what tint is installed, so rather than reduce my night vision any more, I installed MRT rear louvers. They keep the sun off and do not affect visibility. It also makes my stang look better.
Bear376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 02:35 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

check it out, just did my rear window blackouts, vent visors and rear tail light tint today:

Mustang Mods - Imgur

stupid tires are starting to brown up again..ugh, gotta wash her! haven't in weeks. just got myself a foam gun from amazon too, so i'm excited to try that..maybe next weekend.
Old 12-21-2014, 09:05 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Looks good with the black outs. Why you decide on that instead of louvers?
Old 12-21-2014, 01:54 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintile View Post
Looks good with the black outs. Why you decide on that instead of louvers?
well, cuz they were 25 bucks hahah..figured i'd try these out first to see if i like having that blind spot (which admittadley sucks when backing out of a parking spot in a parking lot..) and if I like em, i'll eventually buy louvers maybe. then again, i do like that clean look without louvers and just the flat matte finish on it.
Old 12-22-2014, 12:59 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Here are some pics of my side windows and rear louvers.

Bear376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 10:45 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
That looks nice Bear. Ill most likely end up with those same rear louvers one of these days
Fintile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 12:40 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

very nice bear! see, I want window tint, but if I get rear louvers, then i wont bother tinting. how do rear window louvers install?

Old 12-22-2014, 01:17 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
the rear two apply with 3m tape while the rear back window applies with adhesive brackets to your window then bolt on to the louvers for easy removal and i went ahead and tinted the back quarter panels it was really easy i never tinted b4 and hey i did baddazz for free even if i messed up i still could start over and not spend 300 and at the same time now can say i do my own tint u can even learn a life skill.
yellowconve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 04:45 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowconve View Post
the rear two apply with 3m tape while the rear back window applies with adhesive brackets to your window then bolt on to the louvers for easy removal and i went ahead and tinted the back quarter panels it was really easy i never tinted b4 and hey i did baddazz for free even if i messed up i still could start over and not spend 300 and at the same time now can say i do my own tint u can even learn a life skill.
nice! honestly, i was never a huge fan of rear window louvers, so i'm probably just going to end up tinting that back window. i'll probably keep my blackouts on my quarter windows, though. they do look pretty cool..but the blindspot pulling out of parking lots sucks lol
Old 12-22-2014, 05:03 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
nice! honestly, i was never a huge fan of rear window louvers, so i'm probably just going to end up tinting that back window. i'll probably keep my blackouts on my quarter windows, though. they do look pretty cool..but the blindspot pulling out of parking lots sucks lol
yup that blindspot is hard to see especially if you got both back window and rear window louvers. go for it and tint it reflective thats what i did at first looked nice even did it myself
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20141124_171309_790.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	172361   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20141103_085544_952.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	172362  

Old 12-22-2014, 05:50 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

looks cool! i think i'd go for a dark black though; mine is black and i like that stealthy look.
Old 12-22-2014, 05:53 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

go for it you wont rergret it its going to look nice good luck
Old 12-24-2014, 05:44 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

ugh, so i got my 3rd brake light tint today, and there's scratches ALL over it and a big gash in the middle right out of the box. so i contacted american muscle support...do you think they'll just do a swap? seems like such a hassle since it's such a small piece of vinyl. my other vinyls were perfect out of the box, but this one looks like it was beat to hell and scratched to hell...and i'm sure you all know how easily these vinyls scratch!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang