LTS or Shorties? Ordering this weekend! - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-19-2014, 08:09 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Need to take my car in for warranty work before install

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1419041339879.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	172229  
JR4288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2014, 08:10 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
OP went with long tubes.
sledge42hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 08:36 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR4288 View Post
Need to take my car in for warranty work before install

Kinda was hoping you was going for the Macs. Nothing wrong with the BBKs though

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Bigshow14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2014, 08:38 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Ya just got a good deal on the bbks

Old 12-22-2014, 07:08 AM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
For performance, I am very pleased with my long tube borlas, but below 3500 rpm, they sound terrible. Above 4500, the car sounds great. I will say that even though everyone states that I have lost low range torque, after the install (took three hours, including a pair of cross threaded O2 sensors, thanks for that Ford), I no longer need to shift out of sixth gear in the hills on the way to VIR, which I previously was required to do.

Proving to my fellow racers that the disdain that some GT drivers have for V6 drivers is unfounded, one results archive at a time since 2013.
jande063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 07:54 AM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Time to plan a dyno tune once all is installed. Congrats on getting nice pieces!
robb15033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 09:04 AM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue1993 View Post
Hey there seems to be a lot of misinformation going around about headers on here lately.
Shorty headers: gonna give you slight HP gains but a good amount of down low TQ. You will really feel it driving around town but not so much in the higher RPM range.
LTs- will give much more HP in the higher RPM range. You may even lose some down low power (barely) but will really feel it up top
If you get LTs you will need a new mid pipe. If you live in a smog restrictive state such as California you will not pass inspection because of this. You will also get a much raspier, loud "wailing" exhaust tone, so be warned.
Shorties you do not have to replace the mid pipe and you will pass inspections. It deepens up the exhaust tone and makes it sound better. no rasp.
LTs with a mid pipe will be double cost of shorties. Install is a lot harder and more expensive.
Ceramic finish (coating) is a must. Keep those engine temp Down. You're spending that much $ on an expensive vehicle, might as well not be a cheapo to be safe as can be.
If you're tracking your car a lot I would recommend LTs. Just want some more noticeable power driving around and a nice exhaust note, shorties.
Those are pretty much all the factors involved in making your choice!

Sent from my 831C using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Excellent write up bro. Very nice. I have long tubes on my 11 3.7 and very happy with them. I live in a rural area so all my driving is on highways or one lane roadways where the speed limit is 55. I don't drive in urban environment and very few traffic lights. Based on this I spend my time driving in higher rpm's so long tubes is what I wanted.

Can't say I feel that I lost down low grunt but I did install my 3:73 gears same time as my long tube headers. It is my understanding that if someone drives in a lot of stop and go areas, the shorties seem to be a better choice.

Back a few years ago when I purchased my ceramic long tubes they didn't even have shorties available for our 3.7's. The shorties came out a few months later.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 09:20 AM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Excellent write up bro. Very nice. I have long tubes on my 11 3.7 and very happy with them. I live in a rural area so all my driving is on highways or one lane roadways where the speed limit is 55. I don't drive in urban environment and very few traffic lights. Based on this I spend my time driving in higher rpm's so long tubes is what I wanted.

Can't say I feel that I lost down low grunt but I did install my 3:73 gears same time as my long tube headers. It is my understanding that if someone drives in a lot of stop and go areas, the shorties seem to be a better choice.

Back a few years ago when I purchased my ceramic long tubes they didn't even have shorties available for our 3.7's. The shorties came out a few months later.
Did you resolve the o2 issues you were having a few months ago
Old 12-22-2014, 03:40 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigshow14 View Post
Did you resolve the o2 issues you were having a few months ago
Actually, yes. I just disconnected the bbk extender and some water drained out. Put it back on and no more issues. Very strange. Lol

I didn't even need another 02 sensor. 😎
Old 12-22-2014, 05:46 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jande063 View Post
For performance, I am very pleased with my long tube borlas, but below 3500 rpm, they sound terrible. Above 4500, the car sounds great. I will say that even though everyone states that I have lost low range torque, after the install (took three hours, including a pair of cross threaded O2 sensors, thanks for that Ford), I no longer need to shift out of sixth gear in the hills on the way to VIR, which I previously was required to do.
What is your exhaust set up from the headers back?

Old 12-22-2014, 07:10 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Actually, yes. I just disconnected the bbk extender and some water drained out. Put it back on and no more issues. Very strange. Lol

I didn't even need another 02 sensor. 😎
Thx good to know.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:24 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigshow14 View Post
Thx good to know.
It was so weird bro. The 02 sensor code was going off. Then it stopped and the extender code went off. Disconnected the connectors, little water dripped out and good to go. Been great for over 6 months.
Old 12-24-2014, 05:03 AM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
What is your exhaust set up from the headers back?

Borla catless x pipe mated the the factory catback. Not hugely loud outside the car, was clocked at 82 decibels at 50' at a bit over 7500rpm at several regional autocrosses. It is quite a bit noisier inside the car though.

Proving to my fellow racers that the disdain that some GT drivers have for V6 drivers is unfounded, one results archive at a time since 2013.
Old 12-24-2014, 02:38 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

What axlebacks?

Old 12-24-2014, 08:59 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

You went with the best option. I currently run bbk ceramic lt headers and bbk o/r x pipe. Borla stingers outback. I love the way the car sounds. I wouldn't change anything in my exhaust if i was staying supercharged. You won't regret your Christmas present
Raeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 11:18 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
What axlebacks?

Factory mufflers that came with the car (manual transmission). I am looking into making a set of custom after x-pipe tubes that would just dump in a turn down immediately following the back of the driver seat. They would be purely for weight savings, and only used on track, anything else would be exceptionally rude.

Old 12-28-2014, 08:53 AM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

AAP dyno'ed info to read.
*Pipe size, mid-pipe choice & size including muffler down to tips;
I want to upgrade the exhaust system on my Mustang, what do you think?
2V GT: Traditionally, a free flowing exhaust system has always been an excellent way of increasing overall power. The 4.6L is no different but responds differently than a traditional 302.
Ford Motorsport makes a very nice set of headers for the 96 - 98 Mustang GT. They use a high tech coating to keep them from rusting and ensure long life. Their primary tubes are 1 5/8" and they offer a noticeable gain.
The most important thing to remember when choosing a high flow H-Pipe and catalytic converters is that the 2V engine is very sensitive and easily looses torque if the exhaust is too large. We recommend a 2 1/4" h-pipe, any larger and low end torque suffers significantly. And low end torque is what this engines needs improved the most. The Motorsport headers and a good h-pipe are worth approximately 25 hp.
4V Cobra: We have done extensive dyno testing with the Cobra's exhaust and found significant gains by using both headers and a free flowing h-pipe with converters.
As with the 2V engine, the 4V is sensitive to the size of the exhaust and can suffer torque losses if it is too large. We've used, with great success, a 2 1/4" h-pipe / converter set up that by itself is worth 15-18 horsepower. We have also dyno’d a set of stainless steel headers that by themselves are worth 25 hp and when combined with the h-pipe are worth 50 hp.
robb15033 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang