Need more growl! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-14-2014, 10:05 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Need more growl!

So I installed an SR CAI and a Bama 87S tune and I notice this unique growl under the regular exhaust note around 2000-2500K rpms. How would one bring out more of that growl/burble? Would an H-pipe or shorty headers help? Thanks again for all the help guys, my cars come a long way since I got it in August.

SR Performance CAI, Diablosport Intune bama tuner, Roush Axleback, Matte black rocker stripes.
Quack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2014, 09:36 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
H pipe and shorties will add to the burble in the exhaust, however if you just want to hear the sound more from your CAI then install a sound tube...it really increases the sound inside the cabin and makes the car roar...but again its ONLY in the cabin. You can hear it more but outside will still sound the same.
Fintile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 10:25 AM   #3
Site Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quack View Post
So I installed an SR CAI and a Bama 87S tune and I notice this unique growl under the regular exhaust note around 2000-2500K rpms. How would one bring out more of that growl/burble? Would an H-pipe or shorty headers help? Thanks again for all the help guys, my cars come a long way since I got it in August.

Quack-That's a good question and if you're looking to increase the growl and/or burble under the hood you can go a few different routes and I would recommend a BBK 73MM Throttle Body it's going to make the sound under your hood that much more deep and muscular. After that you could definitely look into an H-Pipe like MAC's Off-Road Pro-Chamber which would give a very thick deep sound! In comparison to a BBK Catted X-Pipe which would have a little bit of a higher pitched sound. I do want to note that the MAC is an Offroad meaning that it will not have cats (This can give your exhaust a very high pitched sound) but it can be modulated/adjusted depending on what axleback you're running. Let me know if you have any other questions on this and I hope this helps!
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG & 2017 RAPTOR!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMAlexLazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2014, 12:38 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

No cats would be an issue for me as I live in California with intense emissions laws, is there by chance a catted h-pipe?

SR Performance CAI, Diablosport Intune bama tuner, Roush Axleback, Matte black rocker stripes.
Old 12-15-2014, 02:48 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No cats would be an issue for me as I live in California with intense emissions laws, is there by chance a catted h-pipe?

YUP...just install a GT H pipe. have a shop cut your mid pipe out and weld the GT in place. there you go...bigger piping (not too big), defined H sound and its stock piping so when they SMOG you and look underneath they wont know the difference (they HATE shiny metal parts on cars in CA.) I had my cars frequently kicked out of SMOG stations because of that, they were legal cat-backs and CARB certified parts. they still wouldnt test me or would fail me until i replaced it with none "shiny" parts LOL

I ended up painting my undercarrage black and then i would get tested and pass....then tell them afterward it was all aftermarket...ha ha ha
Old 12-15-2014, 03:33 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintile View Post
YUP...just install a GT H pipe. have a shop cut your mid pipe out and weld the GT in place. there you go...bigger piping (not too big), defined H sound and its stock piping so when they SMOG you and look underneath they wont know the difference (they HATE shiny metal parts on cars in CA.) I had my cars frequently kicked out of SMOG stations because of that, they were legal cat-backs and CARB certified parts. they still wouldnt test me or would fail me until i replaced it with none "shiny" parts LOL

I ended up painting my undercarrage black and then i would get tested and pass....then tell them afterward it was all aftermarket...ha ha ha

How much would a GT H pipe cost me?

Old 12-15-2014, 03:49 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

You can find them on Craigslist for less than $90. Most GT guys just have them sitting around. Ask around in the Classifieds section or GT section. Im sure there will be someone you can get to give you a deal.
Old 12-16-2014, 08:59 AM   #8
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Quack-That's a good question and I personally haven't seen any Catted H-Pipes (If you catch one shoot me a link so we can have it brought on) but It sounds like Fintil's onto something here! Sorry i wasn't much help on this but let me know if you have any other questions, I'm always here to help!

Alex
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Old 12-16-2014, 05:37 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMAlexLazarus View Post
Quack-That's a good question and I personally haven't seen any Catted H-Pipes (If you catch one shoot me a link so we can have it brought on) but It sounds like Fintil's onto something here! Sorry i wasn't much help on this but let me know if you have any other questions, I'm always here to help!

Alex
I got you Alex

http://www.stage3motorsports.com/93P...ed-H-Pipe.html

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 06:08 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Yikes!!! Over $500?!! Sorry but no thanks...i forgot about these guys (having a vatted H that is...you could have a shop weld you up one for 1/2 that.
Old 12-16-2014, 07:02 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintile View Post
Yikes!!! Over $500?!! Sorry but no thanks...i forgot about these guys (having a vatted H that is...you could have a shop weld you up one for 1/2 that.
Maybe, but others may not want to spend the time to do that. It would take trial and error to get good fitment and for some reason welding seems to be a lost art.

Most welds I see out of normal shops look like a 3 year old got a hold of the torch. Slag and uneven beads everywhere which means pinhole leaks.

2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
Old 12-17-2014, 09:03 AM   #12
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM91 View Post
Ahh Joey to the rescue as usual! I knew there was one out there I just forgot who had it! It's tough when I'm on our website for 7 days a week I would still be concerned with the cats and having Quack pass Cali emissions. My friends out there say it's like living in a different country! Thanks for letting me know though I'm going to see if we can maybe get this brought on!

Alex
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Old 12-17-2014, 09:12 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah since they're high flow cats it would be iffy on California smog testing. If you had stock manifolds it'd probably pass, but I couldn't say, I live in a much more lenient state lol

Old 12-17-2014, 11:30 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM91 View Post
Yeah since they're high flow cats it would be iffy on California smog testing. If you had stock manifolds it'd probably pass, but I couldn't say, I live in a much more lenient state lol

Passing CA Smog is a negative ghost rider...it has to be factory cats or you fail both visual and sniffer....its crazy how they know.

I would still go to a shop...not sure about your state Joey but Southern Cali has a ton of exhaust shops ,performance garages and the like. Ive never had an issue with any of the places i went to, and since there are so many of them out there they are also very competitive with pricing, might even do it for less if you work 'em a bit.
Old 12-17-2014, 11:37 AM   #15
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
back to the Quacks question......I'll 2nd the sound tube answer, but I wonder if changing exhaust will hide that growl under exhaust notes. To my ears with the Airaid and Bassani the growl/whistle is from the front and more of an intake sound. Making the exhaust louder will bury those notes. You can score intake tubes cheap so it is worth a shot.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang