Bama Tuned V6 Gains and feel - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-15-2014, 04:14 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Bama Tuned V6 Gains and feel

I was wondering if anyone else has their 3.7 V6 tuned by Bama, and had felt it falls way short of the professed "different beast" hyperbole. I'm currently still working with them, but I can honestly say, after 3 Tunes up front, and 3 revised tunes, I'm still very disappointed. The car is an Automatic as well, which they say experiences the "most dramatic" gains. Thoughts?
ThaDPartiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2014, 04:25 PM   #2
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California
I really don't mean to be rude, but seriously, did you try the Search button? I typed in "bama tune" and got 25 pages with hits. There's bound to be your answer in there I'm sure
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
MustangDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 04:34 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I thought maybe it was less of a common thing to have issues with the tune, ive read tonz of forums on how good people thought it was. I appologize, newbie to Evolution, and kinda wanted to start a talk, rather than read through old ones. Didn't mean to offend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2014, 04:35 PM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
I can promise you the gains are there, maybe you just thought it would be more dramatic

05 Gt Premium Performance White, flowmaster outlaws, Jlt Series 3, Bama 91r tune
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 04:38 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Even then I don't understand how the 91/93R are anything but dramatic increases over stock (Auto if that makes any difference)

SR Performance CAI, Diablosport Intune bama tuner, Roush Axleback, Matte black rocker stripes.
Quack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 04:38 PM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDPartiD View Post
I thought maybe it was less of a common thing to have issues with the tune, ive read tonz of forums on how good people thought it was. I appologize, newbie to Evolution, and kinda wanted to start a talk, rather than read through old ones. Didn't mean to offend.
Who are you working with at bama?

05 Gt Premium Performance White, flowmaster outlaws, Jlt Series 3, Bama 91r tune
Old 12-15-2014, 04:40 PM   #7
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
You didn't offend, just surprised you couldn't find anything, lol. Anyway, NateStang07 is right, just depends. Heck, anything's better than stock.
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
MustangDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 04:40 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Well I did Steeda CAI with it, and have Pypes which i know the pypes do nothing, but 10% gains looked promising. But the upshifts feel really long, and too smooth, no punch. And there's this nasty long hesitation in second gear between 2-3k rpms, that i expected would disappear.
Old 12-15-2014, 04:42 PM   #9
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Well I did Steeda CAI with it, and have Pypes which i know the pypes do nothing, but 10% gains looked promising. But the upshifts feel really long, and too smooth, no punch. And there's this nasty long hesitation in second gear between 2-3k rpms, that i expected would disappear.
Well I am not sure how well they know slash are able to tune the steeda intake

Old 12-15-2014, 04:45 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Even then I don't understand how the 91/93R are anything but dramatic increases over stock (Auto if that makes any difference)

SR Performance CAI, Diablosport Intune bama tuner, Roush Axleback, Matte black rocker stripes.
Quack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 04:47 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I wrote a review on my experience with 93 Race. Everything works perfectly on my end. Dramatically improved driving experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 04:48 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

American muscle is misleading in selling that intake, and having Bama unable to time for the freaking thing. And they offer free tines for life, but don't do Ghost Cams for V6, nor do they time for racing octane. What the hell? No 110 tune, even by special request? And I've been told they maxed my shift pressures on the Rev tunes, but it's not the slam shift I wanted, i know they tune semi conservative, but really?
Old 12-15-2014, 04:48 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
There should be no long hesitation between that especially with an auto.
Request someone else to look at your tunes if you're not satisfied with what you've gotten.
There is nothing wrong with bama tunes, you may just have been expecting more .... Yes it's big gains but it's not gonna turn your car into a Lamborghini

Sent from my 831C using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 12-15-2014, 04:51 PM   #14
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
American muscle is misleading in selling that intake, and having Bama unable to time for the freaking thing. And they offer free tines for life, but don't do Ghost Cams for V6, nor do they time for racing octane. What the hell? No 110 tune, even by special request? And I've been told they maxed my shift pressures on the Rev tunes, but it's not the slam shift I wanted, i know they tune semi conservative, but really?
First of all Ghost cam tunes should not even touch a car, and if you are wanting staff like high octane tunes you need a different tuner as bama is basic in nature

Old 12-15-2014, 04:53 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

The hesitation is so bad, it's concerning. That was my main reason for tuning, because i assumed it was a Ford tuning gas mileage thing. It hangs like it is changing gears again at those rpms, but there's no shift, just a long strange rev, and weird almost loss of power feel, unless i punch it, it downshifts, and doesn't see that rpm range because it shifts into 2nd at about 4 when it shifts at 60 or so.
Old 12-15-2014, 04:55 PM   #16
Registered Member

Regular

Request Paul to take a look at your logs

Old 12-15-2014, 04:59 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I know it won't change my girl into a Lambo, but i thought it would feel like the power was really on tap. The 305hp always felt like it was caged, not all there all the time, especially on runs from a stop. If i punch it doing 30 or 60, stock, it felt like i was rolling a bad ***. But from a stop, it felt lacking.
Old 12-15-2014, 05:02 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

What sensors do i need to log? And do I do it in R93, or any of the tunes? Also, should i log several driving cycles, or is one good enough?
Old 12-15-2014, 05:06 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
I mean if you have the factory 2.73 gears thats your problem right there.
Ghost cams don't do anything beneficial to your car and only really work on a manual.
If you want a 110 tune you're going to have to go to the expensive tuners. Not sure why you would want one either.
I'm pretty sure they're capable of tuning for a cold air intake lol. Myself and many others have them with 0 problems. If you want "slam shifts" you shoulda gotten a manual.... My MPT is aggressive but "slam shifts" just doesn't happen in an auto
If your car is really performing that poorly, I would check that your car is OK

Old 12-15-2014, 05:07 PM   #20
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue1993 View Post
I mean if you have the factory 2.73 gears thats your problem right there.
Ghost cams don't do anything beneficial to your car and only really work on a manual.
If you want a 110 tune you're going to have to go to the expensive tuners. Not sure why you would want one either.
I'm pretty sure they're capable of tuning for a cold air intake lol. Myself and many others have them with 0 problems. If you want "slam shifts" you shoulda gotten a manual.... My MPT is aggressive but "slam shifts" just doesn't happen in an auto
If your car is really performing that poorly, I would check that your car is OK

I did not realize they sold the steeda intake.. seems odd to me lol

Old 12-15-2014, 05:13 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

It's not performing horribly, just not what I expected, and not much better than stock. Ghost cam just looked cool, and i read small gains over Race tunes.
Old 12-15-2014, 05:14 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

And yeah i have the factory 2.73. Which while we're on the subject, 3.55 or 3.73? And can that really be the whole problem? Because if it is, I'm swapping the rear end Gear and pinion tomorrow.
Old 12-15-2014, 05:16 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
The hesitation is so bad, it's concerning. That was my main reason for tuning, because i assumed it was a Ford tuning gas mileage thing. It hangs like it is changing gears again at those rpms, but there's no shift, just a long strange rev, and weird almost loss of power feel, unless i punch it, it downshifts, and doesn't see that rpm range because it shifts into 2nd at about 4 when it shifts at 60 or so.
I have the exact same hesitation in second gear. I can actually watch my rpms dip. Just like you said it's almost like the car is shifting. It even does it in sport mode when I am manually shifting with the little button. It really pissed me off the first month, but I've gotten to the point where I just deal with it. I Still kick myself in the butt for not getting the manual tranny.

I took it back to the dealer and the tech (who smelled like alcohol) test drove it and said it was fine. Said I was probably just letting off the gas a little. I told him it does it even at wot when I was trying to push the pedal thru the floor. He then said it was probably the the computer trying to learn my driving style. Bull crap!

I'm just happy to know I'm not the only one having this problem. Please let me know if you find anything that fixes this issue.
ridge_runner91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 05:20 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridge_runner91 View Post
I have the exact same hesitation in second gear. I can actually watch my rpms dip. Just like you said it's almost like the car is shifting. It even does it in sport mode when I am manually shifting with the little button. It really pissed me off the first month, but I've gotten to the point where I just deal with it. I Still kick myself in the butt for not getting the manual tranny.

I took it back to the dealer and the tech (whole smelled like alcohol) test drove it and said it was fine. Said I was probably just letting off the gas a little. I told him it does it even at wot when I was trying to push the pedal thru the floor. He then said it was probably the the computer trying to learn my driving style. Bull crap!

I'm just happy to know I'm not the only one having this problem. Please let me know if you find anything that fixes this issue.

I will let you know, I refuse to drive my baby much longer with this ridiculous garbage, and the dealer told me the same, which is why i tuned. I said Eff ford and the warranty, I want my car to act right. And perform how it should.
Old 12-15-2014, 05:26 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Honestly at least I have confirmation I'm not crazy. The car does hesitate, and its nasty. In sport, drive, manual shift. Doesn't matter, like it's choking on rich fuel mixture.
Old 12-15-2014, 05:28 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

RidgeRunner, are you base with 2.73 rear end as well?
Old 12-15-2014, 05:36 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
RidgeRunner, are you base with 2.73 rear end as well?
Yep.... 100% stock
ridge_runner91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 05:42 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Throttle Hesitation

That's a forum on permanent removal of "adaptive shifting", rewiring fuse 47 to a relay to shut off every time the car is shut off. Apparently it's Torque Converter Lock Up. But fuse removal fixes it for 2 weeks or so.

---------- Post added at 06:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:41 PM ----------

I'll request Bama remove this and see what they say.
Old 12-15-2014, 06:11 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
I was wondering if anyone else has their 3.7 V6 tuned by Bama, and had felt it falls way short of the professed "different beast" hyperbole. I'm currently still working with them, but I can honestly say, after 3 Tunes up front, and 3 revised tunes, I'm still very disappointed. The car is an Automatic as well, which they say experiences the "most dramatic" gains. Thoughts?

All I got to say is MPT forget bama after I tuned with mpt you can notice much more difference than bama

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
stanglife305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 06:24 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
And yeah i have the factory 2.73. Which while we're on the subject, 3.55 or 3.73? And can that really be the whole problem? Because if it is, I'm swapping the rear end Gear and pinion tomorrow.
The gears are a HUGE factor. I tuned before I did gears and wasn't floored by the performance by any means, it was better than stock but still lacked. I was debating 3.55s or 3.73s and after a lot of research I decided to go with 3.73s for a tad more bite down low. WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!! It was exactly what the car was lacking and finally felt like it had 305hp! I have also had the privilege of getting seat time with 3.31s and 3.55s, and while 3.31s were pretty good, for me 3.55s and 3.73s are the best choices if you don't have the pp 3.31s already. I drive a manual so the sluggish shifting I can't help you with, but others on this forum with autos say MPT is the ***** for their transmissions.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 06:26 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Mpt tuner is the same price as the bama tuner. People just get fooled by the "life time tunes". The 6 months with mpt is more than enough to get it dialed in and if you do mod upgrades after the 6 months it's only 20 dollars for another 6 months of tuning on all your tunes. I even got my MPT tuner with 4 custom tunes for 360 on cyber monday. Better than the 400 for bama. I have not tried bama so I cannot speak to the quality and performance but I know that mpt offers a lot of the stuff you were complaining about. Ghost cam, race fuel tunes, ect.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
JR4288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 06:31 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
And I would like to say that my expectations were also very high and i was disappointed at first with the performance increase. But after a couple weeks of driving and you really can tell the difference over stock.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
JR4288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 06:36 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

^This^ Op after a couple of weeks go back to stock, you'll notice. Lol

Old 12-15-2014, 06:44 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

I paid 470 for iTSX, with tunes. Plus the 300 for the intake (which sounds sweet as hell) but my first tune was so weak, i thought i might be running lean and doing damage, as if it wasn't tuned at all. And customer support has been garbage. They don't answer my questions, and send me pre written templates. Then won't guide me to the right things i should log so they can fix it, and honestly have left a real bad taste in mouth over the whole ordeal.
Old 12-15-2014, 06:58 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I paid 470 for iTSX, with tunes. Plus the 300 for the intake (which sounds sweet as hell) but my first tune was so weak, i thought i might be running lean and doing damage, as if it wasn't tuned at all. And customer support has been garbage. They don't answer my questions, and send me pre written templates. Then won't guide me to the right things i should log so they can fix it, and honestly have left a real bad taste in mouth over the whole ordeal.
I hear you, I had a couple of less than impressive calls while dealing with bama, but I've also had some great reps that helped out extensively and walked me through on how to install the SCT app on my desktop, then step by step walkthrough to down load my new tunes into my tuner which would have taken me forever by myself lol. I know its tough right now and you feel pretty pissed at how things are going, I've been there also, but in my case it all worked out and I'm very happy with how my car performs being bama tuned. Hope it works out for you also. Keep us posted.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang