INSTALLING a GTCS REAR SPOILER - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-15-2014, 06:22 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via Yahoo to roushMarlon831
INSTALLING a GTCS REAR SPOILER

Has anyone installed a gtcs spoiler on a 2013 that didn't come equipped with a spoiler? And if so was it difficult. I contacted american muscle and they told me to have the spoiler installed at a ford dealership that has an autobody.. I can already tell it will be pricey there. Need help, I don't wanna pay for a spoiler I already spent 300 for
roushMarlon831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2014, 07:46 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Since yours didn't come with a spoiler. You'll have to drill 8 holes to install if I'm not mistaken. How difficult is it? Eh idk but I'm afraid of drilling on mine and messing up. I'm getting the same one for my '14, didn't come with a spoiler. I'll be taking it to a local shop once I get it.

If I were you and you don't feel comfortable drilling 8 holes. I would ask around local body shops with a good reputation for a quote
Old 12-15-2014, 08:00 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
I got that spoiler a couple years back(first mod I did), and I wasn't about to drill holes in my trunk lid. I know a guy who owns a body shop and he did it for $50. Unless you're confident that you can do it, I would find a local body shop to do it, or at least someone with experience. The extra money outweighs the risk of screwing up your trunk lid in my opinion.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Old 12-16-2014, 04:15 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
The auto body shop my Ford dealer uses did it for $80 for me.
Well worth the $ to not risk messing up when I have 0 experience with drilling. Could I have done it? Sure I bet it would have been fine. Didn't risk it tho

Sent from my 831C using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 12-16-2014, 04:36 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via Yahoo to roushMarlon831
Alright body shop it is. Thanks
roushMarlon831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 07:52 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Theres pre drilled holes already in the trunk, you can see them if you remove the liner. Just drill a 1/4" hole or so in each of those pre drilled holes (will make more sense once you actually see it) and place the posts of the spoiler (there were only 4 when we did my Gfs wing) into those holes. You can then just use nuts and washers + 3m tape to line it up, center it, and tighten it.

The pre drilled holes in the trunk give you a LOT of wiggle room, so you dont have to drill the holes in precisely the right spot. You can just over drill the hole, center it with the washers, then tighten it down.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 08:32 AM   #7
Site Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by roushMarlon831 View Post
Has anyone installed a gtcs spoiler on a 2013 that didn't come equipped with a spoiler? And if so was it difficult. I contacted american muscle and they told me to have the spoiler installed at a ford dealership that has an autobody.. I can already tell it will be pricey there. Need help, I don't wanna pay for a spoiler I already spent 300 for
Hey Roush!

Sorry about the delay but it's looking like you got some solid info here! For what it's worth on a brand new car I would recommend taking it to a body shop. I'm definitely gun-ho for doing installs myself but for something like this I would take a look at a shop. The rates that I'm seeing in here are right on the money as well and if you're getting quoted more, I would get a couple different estimates.

Feel free to grab the PDF Installation Instructions (Or our Customer Submitted Install Guide) to take a long with you when you're getting the estimates, I think it would take a shop maybe an hour to knock something like this out for you!

Let me know if you have any questions about this at all and I'm here to help!

Alex
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG & 2017 RAPTOR!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMAlexLazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 08:39 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

^^ I thought i remember seeing American Muscle has a template for installing these wings since they're all the same general shape? Actually bought my GF a gt500 spoiler for her car but didnt think to open and check before it got wrapped.
Old 12-16-2014, 08:44 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Not to intrude, but I have also heard there are a couple spoilers out there that require holes drilled out even if you ALREADY have a factory wing...this and the GT500 wings are not like that right?
Fintile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 08:52 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I put a GT500 wing on my GT that came with the little factory spoiler and it did not require any additional holes. We put this GT/cs Spoiler on my Mom's 5.0 that came with the factory GT spoiler, and if i remember correctly it did not require additional holes either.
Old 12-16-2014, 08:58 AM   #11
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I have installed both an AM and OEM GT/CS wing on my two cars. It can be done but you will get the best results with care, patience and help from a friend.

First, if you have a spoiler delete (no spoiler at all from the factory), there are no holes. If you have the little lip spoiler, you are half way home and only have to drill four holes. The hole template guides that come with the AM spoiler are really cheesy and require a lot of patience. An OEM GT/CS wing is the best because it has studs instead of screws and you just have to draw a circle around the studs on your trunk lid for a template.

In the end, if you are not comfortable doing it yourself and you want a good job done, take it to a dealer or reputable body shop. The cost is worth the peace of mind.
2002 Black/Red GT (Ginger)
2011 Red Candy Metallic V6 (Manfred)
2016 Magnetic Metallic GT (Susie II)
bigmac3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang