Has anyone "maxed" their NA v6? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-16-2014, 12:40 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Has anyone "maxed" their NA v6?

What im talking about is like a general HP that you can get to with a naturally aspirated 6 and then not much more. I have a '14 v6 and dont know if i should keep it na or go forced induction. I also havent been able to find a reliable source for the 0-60 on a '14 v6. If anyone has any info on either of these questions it would be much appreciated . (massive noob here) thanks!
syndicate is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2014, 12:49 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I would guess around 315 whp. There are plenty of source for the 0-60. Car and driver, edmunds, ect

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
JR4288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 01:27 AM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR4288 View Post
I would guess around 315 whp. There are plenty of source for the 0-60. Car and driver, edmunds, ect

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
I would assume a lot more than that with a full on na build

05 Gt Premium Performance White, flowmaster outlaws, Jlt Series 3, Bama 91r tune
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2014, 01:47 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
I would assume a lot more than that with a full on na build

05 Gt Premium Performance White, flowmaster outlaws, Jlt Series 3, Bama 91r tune
315 at the wheel sounds ab right from what I've seen thus far
Old 12-16-2014, 02:01 AM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stangz View Post
315 at the wheel sounds ab right from what I've seen thus far
Yep did some looking and was rather surprised. Looks like the 315-320 range

natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 02:30 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

that sounds about right to me
syndicate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 09:22 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

315 hp @ the crank w/93 octane gas. Stock. Tuned/intakes ported/CAI Steeda/ LT's ect. I don't know for sure?
Old 12-16-2014, 09:28 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

H/c/i exhaust ? Probably 350hp on E85

Naturally Aspirated Is Lyfe
Laquisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 09:48 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Oh the numbers game...315-320? sounds like a variable on the dyno...I wouldnt expect anymore than 305-310 peak. Most the power gains I have seen from various guys is all low to mid range power...which for me is much more useful than peak...its cool to be able to say you have 310....315...shoot 330 peak whp, but what good does it do you if your only putting out 280 trq at 5k or you got 280 whp @ 6k then jump to 330 at 7200k? ( I know its not likely that kind of scenario due to how our engines curve the power but it does look like the higher your peak power the lower your...well low end power?

I guess what im saying is it depends on what you are looking to do with the car. Casual drag racing - you'll want that top end power
Street - your gonna want more low and mid range grunt
and unless your doing comp racing of any sort well then get the mods you think will sound best and by that i mean the difference between an H and X pipe are barely even there and by no means feel much different also state smog laws and such will kill any chance of LT headers as they require a cat delete (unless you wire in extensions to your o2 sensors and have your stock cats put in after or you cut the pipe to have them installed in the header)
Blah blah blah, im rambling now. sorry OP

MAXED out 3.7s depending on location and mods and what type of dyno you are running i would say what i said before is more along the likely chance of 310 MAX N/A. Like with ANY car you WILL get a much better power increase slapping a turbo or Procharger on a stock car than putting that same amount of money into it N/A Id say drive someones car who has a decent amount of mods see how you like the way it feels, if you like it and think you can live with that for a good amount of time then go that route otherwise start now and save up for either a turbo kit of Procharger cause a good portion of the mods you will make wont be usable with those. (aaaaand i rambled an extra 5 pages....geeez. I need to lay off the coffee so early in the morning)
Fintile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 10:36 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I don't think anyone has maxed this engine out - or even tried.

I bet with independent throttle bodies, bigger cams , ported heads, off road exhaust and 8000 rpms that 350rwhp isn't out of the question. But no one I know of has tried to put that kind of money into our engines.
superblur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 10:36 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
My 3.7 puts down eleventy-billion rwhp and rwtq with just a tune. I added a CAI and now it's faster than light from 0 - 60 and I only lost to light by a car length in the 1320.

Seriously... a 3.7 will max out around 300 - 310 whp NA on 93, with the manual cars putting down more power. If someone were to make cams and lockouts and bump the compression, I could see maybe 320 - 330 whp.

Running E85 with a good tune, maybe add 10 - 20 whp.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:51 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by superblur View Post
I don't think anyone has maxed this engine out - or even tried.

I bet with independent throttle bodies, bigger cams , ported heads, off road exhaust and 8000 rpms that 350rwhp isn't out of the question. But no one I know of has tried to put that kind of money into our engines.
I heard of a couple guys that had their cam reground...dont think it did much or was a valid gain as they went to different dynos and never did a base run. Also a lot of guys have said to stay clear of going higher in the rpms cause the cost to make it "safe" to run would be much MUCH more than the gains, but I see your point there are a bunch of things that could be done but most of what your talking about would have to be custom and i doubt anyone will put that kind of money into the car and not have it FI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish416 View Post
Seriously... a 3.7 will max out around 300 - 310 whp NA on 93, with the manual cars putting down more power. If someone were to make cams and lockouts and bump the compression, I could see maybe 320 - 330 whp.

I believe MMR has a 4.0 stroker kit available but again it sounds like the cost will far outweigh the power gains.

For now the most anyone can do with out custom fabricating the parts from scratch would be: intake, TB, TB spacer, ported upper and lower intake manifolds, ignition coils. hotter spark plugs?, E85 with fully custom tune, headers, catless exhaust, alm drive shaft, suspension, lighter flywheel, performance clutch, new fluids, and of course lighter wheels and tires....i think i got it all...

is there a list anywhere for someone to look up and add the total it would cost to "MAX OUT" their car or get a reference point to see the total cost N/A vs F/I?
Old 12-16-2014, 10:52 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish416 View Post
My 3.7 puts down eleventy-billion rwhp and rwtq with just a tune. I added a CAI and now it's faster than light from 0 - 60 and I only lost to light by a car length in the 1320.

Super Six makes the cams and lockouts already, but I haven't seen any good data from a car running them.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 10:57 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM91 View Post
Super Six makes the cams and lockouts already, but I haven't seen any good data from a car running them.

They also do Intake manifold porting too
Old 12-16-2014, 11:01 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintile View Post
They also do Intake manifold porting too
Yeah they and Lone Wolf do. I haven't seen anything about porting heads or anything like that yet though.

2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
Old 12-16-2014, 11:04 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Ya, head porting would be nice...make better use of the headers and ported intake... but for your avg. shop online, buy parts, install would run you total (and this is off the top of my head...no real data to go by) roughly 1/4-maybe 1/3 the cost to go F/I and you will have less than 1/8 the gains
Old 12-16-2014, 11:20 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ya, head porting would be nice...make better use of the headers and ported intake... but for your avg. shop online, buy parts, install would run you total (and this is off the top of my head...no real data to go by) roughly 1/4-maybe 1/3 the cost to go F/I and you will have less than 1/8 the gains
Very true. I'd still like to see someone go all out. Built engine (forged, ported, cams, lockouts, etc), built tranny (new clutch plates for auto, flexplate, new oil), ported IM, full bolt ons.

Basically the pinnacle of a NA build and then add FI. (Maybe custom cams specifically for FI) and crank that up. Of course that's an absurd amount of money but it would be interesting to see what the "true" limit is.

Old 12-16-2014, 12:22 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Well ANY engine built up will make great power...honestly if you had a V8 with 700whp and a 4banger with 700 whp...it will roll about the same granted the weight of the engine will throw you off...but still...would be nice to see how much money a fully built N/A 3.7 can put down
Old 12-16-2014, 12:26 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
4.0 Stroker, 13:1 compression, e85 or race gas, ported heads, cams, ported intake.
You could be making a lot of power :p

The real... boss 227
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 12:32 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire View Post
4.0 Stroker, 13:1 compression, e85 or race gas, ported heads, cams, ported intake.
You could be making a lot of power :p

The real... boss 227
But at that point you would not be able to DD it likely. But still! Haha

Old 12-16-2014, 12:41 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
But at that point you would not be able to DD it likely. But still! Haha

Why

Laquisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 01:07 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laquisha View Post
Why

Unless you have E85 or race gas available everywhere you go, you're gonna have a bad time.

In my area for instance, the closest E85 or 93 octane is 30 miles away.

Old 12-16-2014, 01:08 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Not sure what the NA limit is on this engine. There is a 2011 auto running 12.2 @ 113, a 2013 manual running 12.3 @ 111, and a 2012 auto running 12.5 @ 108. But they are racers, not dyno queens, who knows what they put down...
Old 12-16-2014, 01:42 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Very true. I'd still like to see someone go all out. Built engine (forged, ported, cams, lockouts, etc), built tranny (new clutch plates for auto, flexplate, new oil), ported IM, full bolt ons.

Basically the pinnacle of a NA build and then add FI. (Maybe custom cams specifically for FI) and crank that up. Of course that's an absurd amount of money but it would be interesting to see what the "true" limit is.

Not to be nit picky but you'll find a lot of times motors built for FI and NA are complete opposites in regards to compression and cam overlap. Not meaning to rain on your hypothetical parade lol ... just sayin. Really you have to start with an end goal in mind, be it boost or Na.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 01:45 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
Not to be nit picky but you'll find a lot of times motors built for FI and NA are complete opposites in regards to compression and cam overlap. Not meaning to rain on your hypothetical parade lol ... just sayin. Really you have to start with an end goal in mind, be it boost or Na.
Eh it's just that. Hypothetical.

Old 12-16-2014, 01:46 PM   #26
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Has anyone "maxed" their NA v6?

With E85 or race gas to can run high compression and boost. I saw an EVO with 17:1 compression also running 40psi of boost. Granted it was on race gas. But how it accelerated was ungodly. 2000 horsepower and it revved to 12k rpm

But yea cams do matter with boost vs NA

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 01:54 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
How's this for a N/A build :
Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm TB, BBK ceramic shorties, ported & polished intake manis, Ford racing x pipe , auto trans
Anything I can add on or take off before going FI?

Sent from my 831C using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 12-16-2014, 01:55 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue1993 View Post
How's this for a N/A build :
Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm TB, BBK ceramic shorties, ported & polished intake manis, Ford racing x pipe , auto trans
Anything I can add on or take off before going FI?

Simple bolt ons are fine. What Volt was referring to is changing engine internals to alter compression.

Old 12-16-2014, 01:58 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Oohhh ok I got scared for a sec! I'll leave this convo to y'all that's all over my head

Old 12-16-2014, 02:06 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
With E85 or race gas to can run high compression and boost. I saw an EVO with 17:1 compression also running 40psi of boost. Granted it was on race gas. But how it accelerated was ungodly. 2000 horsepower and it revved to 12k rpm

But yea cams do matter with boost vs NA

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Its a matter of more than just octane. I work with a guy with a 1400 whp gt500. He has another guy at the same shop he uses with another 1400 whp GT500.

My buddy Jake's car:
9.5:1 compression
5.8L
4.7L supercharger running 23-24 psi of boost.

Other guy
11:1 compression
5.8L
3.6L blower + nitrous

The second guy has to replace head gaskets every every couple of passes ... just gets to a point where the cons of the compression outweigh the benefits. I cant imagine that Evo though lol 17:1 with high boost is unreal.

At any rate, i dont think it would be too outrageous for a 350 - 370 whp 3.7L. Granted the coyote has slightly higher compression, its not "hard" to get a 5.0L over 500 whp. The 3.7L cylinder heads apparently flow pretty well, and the stock intake manifold seems to hold power fairly well into the rpm band ... really just comes down to someone actually doing it is the thing.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 02:18 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

I think it comes down to people just don't want to lay down the money on a base model car. But in contrast the same engine in an import would be worshipped.

I'll use the new 3.5L Hyundai Genesis coupe as an example. That's the top tier and although I haven't researched it, I'd assume it has a lot of aftermarket support.

Old 12-16-2014, 02:46 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Damn...I leave to actually get SOME work done and EVERYONE is on here chatting up lol
Again it is all dependent of what you are going to use it for. REAl racing, casual drag, stupid teenage street speeding or just to have a good street car with balls when you need it...
Old 12-16-2014, 02:53 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveWire003 View Post
Not sure what the NA limit is on this engine. There is a 2011 auto running 12.2 @ 113, a 2013 manual running 12.3 @ 111, and a 2012 auto running 12.5 @ 108. But they are racers, not dyno queens, who knows what they put down...
Are you talking about N/A with NO2?... for a 12.2@113 you've gotta be packing over 4k in engine work or a swap and making around 345-355 whp...no way the 3.7 can do that with an avg budget
Old 12-16-2014, 02:58 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Are you talking about N/A with NO2?... for a 12.2@113 you've gotta be packing over 4k in engine work or a swap and making around 345-355 whp...no way the 3.7 can do that with an avg budget
No those are completely NA. They have slicks and skinnies with full bolt ons.

Old 12-16-2014, 03:03 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

I cant see that...even with 4.10s thats a stretch...I dont race so i have no idea the tricks people use to get the times they run...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang