Water Leak (Sloshing) - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-16-2014, 11:38 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Water Leak (Sloshing)

Hey all,
Where I live was just hit by a storm with lots of rain, and my mustang is my daily driver so it was driven a few days in pretty heavy rain. Well yesterday I thought I heard water sloshing around in the car, so I checked for a water bottle or something that could be making the sound. nothing. I brake suddenly and try and replicate the noise, and can hear water sloshing around splashing off the body panels (coming from what seems to be the rear passenger armrest area). After a quick google search I found this is a somewhat common problem with, but could only find people with GT's experiencing the leak. From the sound of it there is A LOT of water stuck in there. I will be taking it to my dealer, and it better be repaired under warranty as the car isn't even 6 months old yet. Have any other V6 owners had this issue?

Link to a post on another forum: Water sloshing sound from passenger rear quarter panel - The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums
rgstelzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2014, 11:48 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
This is new to me. Subscribed.

Naturally Aspirated Is Lyfe
Laquisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 12:34 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Yeah haven't heard of that one. I've heard of leaks in the 13s and 14s around the firewall letting water into the floorboards.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2014, 12:35 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

ja so soon all our 2013 and 2014 will turn into aquariums for fish.
yellowconve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 05:45 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Great to know another thing to look out for, haven't heard about this or the firewall, has there been a fix?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Matts14fp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 06:03 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I know it happens in the rear doors of some of the new Ford Taurus'

2014 5.OHHHHHH
Noodles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 06:11 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Not sure yet, I took it in today and showed the guy at the body shop (local Ford dealers body shop) and he heard it, said it needs to get fixed but they're only open mon-fri and don't usually give out loaner cars. Well I work those days and only have the one car, so he told me he'd call me and get it taken care of.

The other forum posts I've seen had some dealers telling them it was their gas they were hearing. Others got it fixed by having the panels re-sealed. Looked for but did not find and service bulletins or recalls

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 12-16-2014, 06:41 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgstelzner View Post
Not sure yet, I took it in today and showed the guy at the body shop (local Ford dealers body shop) and he heard it, said it needs to get fixed but they're only open mon-fri and don't usually give out loaner cars. Well I work those days and only have the one car, so he told me he'd call me and get it taken care of.

The other forum posts I've seen had some dealers telling them it was their gas they were hearing. Others got it fixed by having the panels re-sealed. Looked for but did not find and service bulletins or recalls

I've noticed fords not real reliable on issuing recalls when they realize there is a problem, they'd rather fix cars individually or blame it on something else

Old 12-16-2014, 08:39 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I've heard of this and in the same area(rear Passenger side). I thought I heard it one night after heavy storms but then before I did anything about it we had several dry days and it went away. Guess I'll wait to hear it again.
gkcontra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 08:56 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Mine did it but it was the body plugs in the doors. There are two in each door. It is not very uncommon.
Old 12-16-2014, 11:49 PM   #11
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Do you have the coupe or convertible ?
Old 12-17-2014, 09:30 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Coupe

Old 12-17-2014, 11:42 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Shunc01 had this happen to him but in the front and found it to be a drainage issue with his cowl. There is a drain tube that got banged, moved or blocked and needs to be clean or corrected. he had water that leaked and flooded his glove box. Soaked his books, reg and poured under his passenger seat...a real mess.

For you there is most likely just a seal leak...not sure from your description where exactly it may be but i hope its not INSIDE your car...that would suck.
Fintile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 11:50 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I can't find any water in the car thank God, but it's insidr the rear passenger quarter panel and up against something else. Doesn't seem to be draining at all really, and I can't find any plugs or anything. I don't think this is a place water is supposed to be able to get. The car isnt even 6 months old, and this is looking to be a wet winter in CA.

Old 12-17-2014, 11:52 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Here is a quote from a guy off the Mustang Source link that was posted:" What happened was the wheel well wasn't sealed completely while at the factory. They sealed it up and sent me on my way. "...."The dealer found an issue with the right rear wheel housing seam. The report says that they sealed it up and drained the water out of the rocker panel."

Check your wheel well and see if there is any holes or leaks...also try rocking your car while its parked and see if water falls out anywhere
Old 12-17-2014, 12:02 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

A little comes out when I do that, but it's still sloshing around every stop or change of direction. From the pictures in that thread I wouldn't be surprised if water did start getting into the interior though

Old 12-17-2014, 10:45 PM   #17
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
There is a hole down that gets clogged with derbies. I'm not sure how to fix it on the coupe. I had the issue on mine, and was able to put the top down and suck it out with a Vacuum.
Old 12-20-2014, 12:24 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

So I got it back from the dealer fixed, and he said the factory just "missed" the seal between the panels in the wheel well. They removed the water and sealed everything up.

Old 12-20-2014, 02:33 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

thats y you dont buy cars made on monday or friday people are to hungover to work or to lazy and on friday just want to go home
Old 12-20-2014, 03:19 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Glad it got worked out
Old 12-27-2014, 09:59 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
So it's been raining here in MD and I noticed that there was a sloshing sound coming from both my rear passengers armrest panel/ quarter window panel. I have a 2014 GT/CS and I've had at only 2 months. I am going to take it to the dealership but I am worried a bit because I have a racing tune from Bama with JLT CAI. Would there be any reason they hook it up to their computer? I just don't wanna get my warranty voided. Thanks

Old 12-27-2014, 10:08 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Those won't harm your warranty for this issue because it has nothing to do with those parts. You are fine. You can always return to stock before bringing it in just to be safe.

DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 10:10 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks I know I might have been over reacting. This is the first stang I've had that I've done mods to

Old 12-27-2014, 12:25 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Dropped off the car. The leaks guy won't be in until Monday. Will let you guys know what they say.

Old 12-28-2014, 07:02 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

when I took mine in I had bbk shorty headers, bama tune, CAI, axelbacks and wheels and tires. They didn't say a word about it. But each dealer is different. And mine was less than 6 months old when l had the issue
Old 12-28-2014, 07:10 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgstelzner View Post
when I took mine in I had bbk shorty headers, bama tune, CAI, axelbacks and wheels and tires. They didn't say a word about it. But each dealer is different. And mine was less than 6 months old when l had the issue

You have multiple warranties, your performance mods wouldn't ruin the bumper to bumper body and interior warranty, just the engine and drive train.

Old 12-28-2014, 07:22 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Yeah. Even where I supercharged my car ,won't have anything to do with this problem( if I had this problem). They would have to be smoking crack to tell me that it did. But some places may try and play that card haha.

WhiteCali5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 07:34 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, I know that part. But the only thing I was worried about was them perhaps inspecting the car and documenting things like that for future reference (no idea whether or not this even happens anywhere). But the body shop for my dealer thought my AMR wheels were stock, so I doubt I had anything to worry about.
Old 12-28-2014, 07:36 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Some dealerships just don't care, I had an alignment covered under warranty, and the dealer knew I had aftermarket suspension parts

Old 01-04-2015, 08:58 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

There is a body seam at the right rear fender well that will allow water in. I usually see the water pool at the bottom of the b pillar where the seat belt assembly is. I heard it sloshing around after a heavy rain. I would remove the plastic trim at the rr b pillar. If you pull back the trim panels and the bottom of the fender (between the door and rear quarter panel) is dry....then your search continues. If it is wet or standing water as I had shop vac it and dry it well. Then using silicone you will need to put a couple globs along side of the factory body sealer that you will see at the back and bottom of this inner fender pocket. Smooth it out generously over the body sealer and you will not see water again. Hope this helps.
Roush Stage 1 blower,OE boost gauge,Custom axleback,MRT H-pipe,Barton short shifter and bracket,Whiteline trans bushing,McCleod RXT twin disc clutch w/billet steel flywheel,Steeda braided clutch line,Steeda g-force brace,Steeda subframe braces,Whiteline front sway bar,SR rear sway bar,SR rear vertical links,MM camber plates,Mich Pilot SS tires,Roush rear spoiler and hood heat extractors,25mm wheel spacers,and Ford Performance hood shocks,JLT oil separator,Flossy heavy weight shift knob
20bmr14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 09:04 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

I've only heard of this happening on 13-14 mustangs, all of which should be covered under warranty. So I had the dealer fix mine, not a problem new cars should be having
Old 01-19-2015, 10:37 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
ugh. just noticed this on my car tonight after a heavy day of rain. it's on the drivers side, sounds like it's the rear panel. guess i should just bring it to ford again and see what they say.
MPT Performance Tune, AM Laguna Seca Black 19" Rims, Borla Touring Axlebacks, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace, Airaid Modular Intake Tube, aFe Pro Dry S Air Filter, Mustang GT Grille w/ Foglight Mesh, Taillight Tint, Tinted Door Ventvisors, Diode Dynamics LED's
jayochs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 12:03 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

upon further inspection, i think mine is just the gas moving around. I learned there's 2 tanks on the car, so the same exact sound came from both sides, and i had about 13 gallons in the tank and it sounded like a LOT of liquid, not just a little bit stuck between the panels. had my dad help listen, and he shook the car and I listened and it sounds like it's coming from underneath the car, so i think i'm ok for now.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk.
MPT Performance Tune, AM Laguna Seca Black 19" Rims, Borla Touring Axlebacks, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace, Airaid Modular Intake Tube, aFe Pro Dry S Air Filter, Mustang GT Grille w/ Foglight Mesh, Taillight Tint, Tinted Door Ventvisors, Diode Dynamics LED's
Old 01-23-2015, 01:02 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

glad to hear its not the car converting into a driving aquarium.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:04 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowconve View Post
glad to hear its not the car converting into a driving aquarium.
i hope not. supposed to rain HARD tonight, so we'll see what happens lol

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang