Mustang Evolution Forum banner

2012 Deep Sounding V6

9K views 101 replies 31 participants last post by  cwwjr1681 
#1 · (Edited)
So after weeks of research I finally reached my goal..... A deep sounding v6.

This is probably the best it will get. Its loud too :p
http://youtu.be/2reWaeIDweA

#56 ·
A couple people have asked me on here and through other site so i made a video.It's a little late, but this was the best video I could come up with. It gives you an idea of what it sounds like. The video makes it sound a little higher pitched. My mods are listed in the description : http://youtu.be/t6RR0Otnrbg

#60 ·
Good videos! I'm sold on the H with stock cats/resonators.

I'm gonna try to score a GT exhaust from the H back to go with the shorties. Then have interchangeable (stock catted/resonator vs. straight pipe) for the track and/or N2O.

p.s. Never liked Maggie streets, you changed my view on them sir.

#61 ·
Sounds good Fintile!

Good videos! I'm sold on the H with stock cats/resonators.

I'm gonna try to score a GT exhaust from the H back to go with the shorties. Then have interchangeable (stock catted/resonator vs. straight pipe) for the track and/or N2O.

p.s. Never liked Maggie streets, you changed my view on them sir.

Yea the Mag streets are good mufflers or catback in my case. When I had them I loved the way they looked and shined but it wasn't loud enough for me which is why I made the switch. Anyone who wants a setup that growls when you get on it but is tame (just a tad bit louder than stock) during idle and cruise should get the streets. I would recommend them to anyone. Next up as far as that sound but louder would be the S-types imo.

#67 ·
Have you tried looking up videos on Youtube to see if anyone else has that setup or something close? You should never have to go in blind when spending over 1k in exhaust.
I like my 18" glasspacks and muffler delete. deep sounding and very nice at WoT
Got a video? Id like to hear that. Looking to go muffler delete (sort of) in spring. Looking at Mag Comps and Pypes. Mag Comp Cat back first cause i want the over axel pipes.
Just wait and try to pick up the resignator from a 2015 v6
Are they drastically different resonators in the 2015s?

#69 ·
Ya, the removal of the Cats makes the LTs very, VERY raspy and more so when paired with an X pipe. I dont want to say the MACs will be but its a good chance they will be raspy as well. If you dont end up liking it i dont see any hassle in selling them. A lot of guys get the LTs over the Shorties anyway.

#71 ·
UPDATE! I have a NEW setup! My old one in that video sounds like crap compared!

My New Setup
-Airaid CAI
-Resonators Removed (Warning this will make the car LOUD! They Located right behind cats inbetween stock X pipe and cats.)
-Stock X pipe replaced with Custom H pipe (Sounds much louder deeper and meaner now. V8 like below 4k rpms. Above 4k rpms and at WOT it sounds more nascarish. Like a an old school v8)
-Flowmaster super 44
-10" long by 4" wide single wall chrome Tips (This is a MUST! it makes the sound echo within the pipe and sound meaner more V8ish)

I have spent a lot (dont ask how much) trying every muffler you can think of. (Buddy owns and exhaust shop) I can say this the Supper 44s are by FAR the best out of the lot. Even tops Borla. Every other muffler other than flowmaster come out sounding very euro. The Original 40s sounded good with this setup;however they had a tingy tin can sound mixed in with a very good muscle car sound. The Super 40s sounded great except at WOT that tingy tin can sound mildly returned. The Super 44s deepen the tone more than the Super 40s and are a tad more quiet. Why are they better? That tingy tin can sound is GONE! =D

So bottom line with the setup I have and the Super 44s just cursing around town you will come out sounding like a stock 1995 Mustang GT 5.0

PLEASE CHECK THIS OUT! This other guy started a great forum. I hope this info helps people!
http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f356/t360030/

#73 ·
I heard his clip. not bad. Im sure in person it has a much deeper tone (all phone videos do that) Wheres your new clip? What size did you go with the custom H? Any reason why you went for a custom vs using a stock GT or getting one of the ones online? (just curious...not hating)

Plus i agree with your statement about most mufflers making everything sound Euro. I thought the same. The sound is good dont get me wrong but for me i want it to sound more beefy, more muscular. NOT V8 but muscular.
I recently switched back to my Bassani axel backs. I like the sound much better with the shorty headers. Here is the only clip I have of them at the moment (sorry for quality)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rgoTNeDnzY
UGGGGGH...I love the Bassanis, been trying to find some used but I have only seen them twice used in the 3 years ive owned the car. Its why i went with Mag Streets. Next best thing.

#75 ·
Shorties are magic to this engines exhaust....Mine was louder before now with shorties i can barely hear it. it sounds stock ...from inside the cabin that is. i want just a touch more aggression. Im looking to trade my Mag Streets for a mag Comp cat back or axel back with some money. Blows my mind that they charge $500 for pretty much a resonator and tip! let me know if you decide to sell...I might be in the market.

#84 ·
Pypes on a stock 3.7 or one with an Xpipe or catless exhaust is very raspy and it drones a lot on the hwy. Its good for when its your only exhaust mod. once you change something else out it turns to a very metallic gross noise to most people that is.
This +1 I just find it sad so many people think the V6=Slow. Its like yeah maybe in 2002
In reality the 3.7 V6= slightly slower than the GT, better gas miliage, and better insurance rates.

My buddy has the GT. He floors it everywhere he goes and gets 7-10miles to the gallen due to that. Me doing the same thing? 17-21:thumb:
Oh ya, the V6-V8 is about a sec stock for stock in 1/4 mile times and 0-60. You just cant argue with the V8 sound though...almost every one sounds amazing.

#83 · (Edited)
This +1 I just find it sad so many people think the V6=Slow. Its like yeah maybe in 2002
In reality the 3.7 V6= slightly slower than the GT, better gas miliage, and better insurance rates.

My buddy has the GT. He floors it everywhere he goes and gets 7-10miles to the gallen due to that. Me doing the same thing? 17-21:thumb:

#89 ·
I've never heard of shorties making an exhaust sound bad unless they go high flow cat, no cats or something along those lines before. There is something wrong with FMs if installing shortie headers is causing rasp or drone

#90 · (Edited)
Th word "bad" is based on opinion. If you think the Ferrari/BMW is a bad sound for a Mustang then yes that Euro sound is bad. Thats how the headers made the car sound. If you like that sound then rock some headers with magnaflows and call it a day?

I personally like the V8ish rumble sound on a mustang. Its the sound the car had prior to getting the headers installed. Now that the stock manifold is back on, I have that sound back. :thumb:

PS> A large reason for this may be that I have a unique exhaust setup. I have a hand crafted catback setup and 100% custom by the good boys from Steeda out at Daytona Performance in Daytona Florida.

#91 · (Edited)
Im sorry, but you DID hear the clip I made right? I think it was you (I could be mistaken) who asked me to, but my setup does NOT sound euro...its the exact opposite. Piping is piping buddy. It doesnt matter if Steeda made it in a performance shop, James made it in some back woods shop or Carol Shelby himself "hand crafted" it by forging the steel with his bare hands. Its going to produce a similar sound when using the same pipe diameters.

Im also questioning it as a general setup rather than yours personally. I noticed a few people on this thread posted comments and others on your OTHER thread. So i want to gauge their input mainly because the stock manifolds tend to make things sound like garbage while the shorties mellows the rasp and high pitch "metallic" tinging noise, but So far many have not liked the Flowmasters (they have gone the V6 axel back route or FOrce II's? maybe 60s? Not sure as i have a V6 and dont think Flows sound that great on the sixers) mainly due to drone and rasp later on with LT headers and such. You did say you have an H pipe so theres a lot on the true "muscle car" sound coming from that as I noticed with mine with the GT H pipe. I think mine is a bit on the softer side when you hear it in person. I'm trying to get it just a tad louder so we will see, but the tone is right there with everything you are saying you are looking for. Deep, gurggle on start up and idle, big roar when getting on it, but ya your right its all personal taste.

I will say that that I'm right there with ya, these are Mustangs...Not VW, not BMWs, not Genesis Coupes, but Mustangs and they should sound as such. Even a V6. Deep and aggressive.

good god...Euro?!...LOL

#92 ·
It's also a V6 Mustang. No matter how much you want it to, it's not going to sound or be a V8.

The only thing Muscle Car about a V6 is the chassis and RWD. I say that as another owner. I'm fully aware of that. That's why I strive to make my V6 the best sounding V6 (in my opinion of course), I can rather than trying to mimic a V8.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#94 ·
Just busting your chops a bit.

#97 ·
My 2014 DIB with a canned SCT tune has gone 14.0 1/4 mile with just an Airaid tube and 26" tires 275/40/18's scares the 4.6 boy's.

#100 ·
Just a pet peeve of mine: Stop racing through neighborhoods like this. I know it's convenient for exhaust videos, but you might hit some kid playing around out there.

Rant aside, it doesn't sound terrible. A little quiet though.

#102 · (Edited)
The only part of the video where I sped there are no houses bro. There is a long fence and a wall so unless those kids can teleport I think I was good. There was a cop there too. Told him what I was doing and why. He said "Roll with it. I'll hold cars here till you are done." Thats why you hear a car start at final pass. Traffic was held there by the cop. Orlando cops are the best :thumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.