Cravenspeed "The Stubby" antenna - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-17-2014, 03:35 PM   #1
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Cravenspeed "The Stubby" antenna

Searched and didn't really find any comparison pics, just pics of the new antenna installed. I wanted a short antenna because I like the way they look and never use my terrestrial radio (Sirius and iPhone). They shipped it quick; I ordered Sunday night and it arrived today, Wednesday. Not bad for going across the country during the holidays and standard shipping.

This thing is solid, and looks great. I like the way it follows the contours of the antenna base instead of being a flat base that looks like an afterthought. Two thumbs up to Cravenspeed!

This is my first offical "mod".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stubby1.jpg
Views:	473
Size:	401.5 KB
ID:	172075   Click image for larger version

Name:	Stubby2.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	452.2 KB
ID:	172076  

"Holy crap bro. You're a genius." - 2011 Kona Blue
au01st is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2014, 04:06 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I have been contemplating getting this little stubby guy; however, I'm still unsure about the quality of reception. Has it been similar to stock antenna? I also have navigation with built in HD radio, I'm wondering if a change in antenna would impact the quality of sound?
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 04:19 PM   #3
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California
This was one of the first mods I did when I first bought my car. There has been no difference in reception from the original Ford antenna as far a I can tell. Great price and quality, just get it. It's the only shorty that actually looks like it belongs on the car as a stock antenna
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
MustangDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2014, 05:22 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
I don't really get the shorty antenna. The stock one is already pretty small. I guess it just doesn't bother me as much.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 07:06 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I'm now looking for a stock antenna. The shorty one the previous owner installed on my car can't pick up any of stations I listen to in the morning. Sure I can use my phone for talk radio shows, but data limits limit the listening time for a 1.5 hour drive
Josh_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 07:14 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Reception depends where you live. Someone in the midwest plains isn't going to be as limited as someone in a mountainous region. FM is line of sight...
paintmann111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 09:09 PM   #7
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM91 View Post
I don't really get the shorty antenna. The stock one is already pretty small. I guess it just doesn't bother me as much.

I don't get why exterior antennas still exist at all. My Grand Marquis had the antenna inside the rear window. My Equinox had an all in one satellite radio and terrestrial antenna.

Old 12-17-2014, 09:19 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by au01st View Post
I don't get why exterior antennas still exist at all. My Grand Marquis had the antenna inside the rear window. My Equinox had an all in one satellite radio and terrestrial antenna.
+1 The only exterior part I dislike about our mustangs is that ugly antenna. I'll take the rear window EVEN if it meant not as good reception. Awhile back someone did a antenna delete, its not much but of an exterior mod made a huge improvement on the overall look of our cars IMO.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 09:04 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM91 View Post

Id agree I think the stock one looks better
-SOLD-13.246s@107.81 RaceRed 2013 v6 Mustang, 3.73 gears, MPT 91Race Tune, Axle-Back Straight Pipe, Tower Brace, BMR LCA's, BBK Shorty Headers, BMR Relocation Brackets, Lethal Performance X-Pipe Catless.
-2008 Civic SI...
RaceRed3.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 02:16 PM   #10
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Just thinking outside the box here, anybody know the thread size of the antenna? Seems like it might be a good spot to securely mount my GoPro camera as opposed to using the suction cup on the window or side of the vehicle. Of course it's not 1/4"x20, already checked. It's slightly smaller. Might see what could be done with 3D printing...

Old 12-18-2014, 09:30 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I got my shorty antenna fixed. This morning it seemed to have been worse with reception, checked it 30 minutes ago and found it working itself loose. So I tightened it the best I could even though there's no wide base to really grip it, only the rod itself turns on a threaded stud. Reception is great ATM, it's even picking up several HD stations here To my surprise, the HD sounds vastly better than regular broadcasted stereo!
Old 12-18-2014, 11:32 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
The local carwashes make you take of your antenna and if you don't and their equipment breaks it, it's all on you. The shorty antenna poses no problem.

Of course I have had my car since July 12th, 2012 and it's only been hand washed. I haven't had any problems in receiving local stations and I have Sirius Satellite for distant trips.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 07:26 AM   #13
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh_101 View Post
I got my shorty antenna fixed. This morning it seemed to have been worse with reception, checked it 30 minutes ago and found it working itself loose. So I tightened it the best I could even though there's no wide base to really grip it, only the rod itself turns on a threaded stud. Reception is great ATM, it's even picking up several HD stations here To my surprise, the HD sounds vastly better than regular broadcasted stereo!

Which stubby antenna do you have? Something good to be on the lookout for.

And HD radio should sound better. It's a digital signal compared to an analog, think of it as HDTV versus standard. I will check out my reception on the drive home today, but with nothing to compare against, as long as it picks up a few stations I will think it's fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 12-19-2014, 08:02 AM   #14
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Texas
You can make your own stubby in about thirty seconds and for about 50 cents. The antennas are fiberglass and can be cut easily with a pair of wire cutters. Cut it off at the top of the boot. Then go to your favorite parts store and get a vacuum line cap for about 50 cents. Stick it on the antenna and voila! I did all three of my cars this way and found no degradation of reception. Looks just like the commercial versions but practically free. This works for the earlier metal antennas also but they are a bit harder to cut. Go for it.
2002 Black/Red GT (Ginger)
2011 Red Candy Metallic V6 (Manfred)
2016 Magnetic Metallic GT (Susie II)
bigmac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 09:04 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Mine got stolen while I was in school last year. 😂

Naturally Aspirated Is Lyfe
Laquisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 09:54 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post
The local carwashes make you take of your antenna and if you don't and their equipment breaks it, it's all on you. The shorty antenna poses no problem.

Of course I have had my car since July 12th, 2012 and it's only been hand washed. I haven't had any problems in receiving local stations and I have Sirius Satellite for distant trips.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laquisha View Post
Mine got stolen while I was in school last year. 😂

2 reasons why i find it stupid to replace something so trivial...why are you taking your car through a car wash?! Go through a self service hand wash station if you cant wash your car at home. I live in an apt now away from family so i no longer have access to a garage or hose to wash my car, but I get free hand washes at work so its all good, lol
Fintile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 10:36 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Which stubby antenna do you have? Something good to be on the lookout for.

And HD radio should sound better. It's a digital signal compared to an analog, think of it as HDTV versus standard. I will check out my reception on the drive home today, but with nothing to compare against, as long as it picks up a few stations I will think it's fine.

I think it's the Scott Drake antenna that CJ pony parts sells.
Old 12-19-2014, 10:54 AM   #18
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac3 View Post
You can make your own stubby in about thirty seconds and for about 50 cents. The antennas are fiberglass and can be cut easily with a pair of wire cutters. Cut it off at the top of the boot. Then go to your favorite parts store and get a vacuum line cap for about 50 cents. Stick it on the antenna and voila! I did all three of my cars this way and found no degradation of reception. Looks just like the commercial versions but practically free. This works for the earlier metal antennas also but they are a bit harder to cut. Go for it.
I had tried this and the vacuum cap started to discolor to light gray after a couple of weeks, and it looked exactly like what I had done . . . cut the original down and cheaply capped it. The Cravenspeed shorty looks more professional and it's a relatively inexpensive mod. It works, it looks nice and I'm happy. Just like anything else, it's a style thing just like fake scoops and strips. Whatever ya like, just go with
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
Old 12-19-2014, 11:08 AM   #19
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangDawg View Post
I had tried this and the vacuum cap started to discolor to light gray after a couple of weeks, and it looked exactly like what I had done . . . cut the original down and cheaply capped it. The Cravenspeed shorty looks more professional and it's a relatively inexpensive mod. It works, it looks nice and I'm happy. Just like anything else, it's a style thing just like fake scoops and strips. Whatever ya like, just go with
Interesting, mine are all still black after several years. Easy fix with a shot of black spray paint.
Old 12-19-2014, 11:10 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintile View Post
2 reasons why i find it stupid to replace something so trivial...why are you taking your car through a car wash?! Go through a self service hand wash station if you cant wash your car at home. I live in an apt now away from family so i no longer have access to a garage or hose to wash my car, but I get free hand washes at work so its all good, lol
I have no idea what you do for work, but I will be worried about scratching my car with those free hand washes. Just cuz of the same materials they use on every other car. I'm just guessing here, it could be a pro detailing shop afterall.
Old 12-19-2014, 11:44 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac3 View Post
I believe it's a 7/32's cap...got mine at Autozone. No issues or cap fading. But I normally keep my car in the garage and out of the ol' hot sun.
Old 12-19-2014, 11:49 AM   #22
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Hey, it's no big deal guys, it's just a shorty antenna, lol.
Have a good one and happy holidays
Old 12-19-2014, 01:38 PM   #23
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangDawg View Post
Hey, it's no big deal guys, it's just a shorty antenna, lol.
Have a good one and happy holidays
Same to you. Drive careful.
Old 12-20-2014, 11:28 AM   #24
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

No issues I noticed driving around this morning flipping thru FM stations. I only had 3 presets and they all worked fine, no static or anything.

Old 12-20-2014, 12:35 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

I'm waiting for AM guys to have mmd shorty antenna back in their stock. Says excellent radio reception, but the installation might be just a little windy.
Old 12-22-2014, 08:58 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

I saw a 2015 Mustangs on the road recently and noticed the external antenna isn't where it is on my 2013. Did they delete it?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
texaskilowatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 04:22 PM   #27
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaskilowatt View Post
I saw a 2015 Mustangs on the road recently and noticed the external antenna isn't where it is on my 2013. Did they delete it?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Yeah, it's been deleted. Saw 3 of them at the local cars & coffee Saturday. Ford moved the round satellite antenna to the roof, centered at the top edge of rear window. Same place as the shark fin antenna on the BMWs.
Old 12-23-2014, 12:54 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Just thinking outside the box here, anybody know the thread size of the antenna? Seems like it might be a good spot to securely mount my GoPro camera as opposed to using the suction cup on the window or side of the vehicle. Of course it's not 1/4"x20, already checked. It's slightly smaller. Might see what could be done with 3D printing...

Heh, you're overthinking it man.

Take your old antenna down to Home Depot's screw aisle. You will see a thread finder guide mounted to the shelf ever 10 or 12 feet. Check your antenna thread against that and you'll know what you need.

Then just find a good mount and epoxy the right bolt to it and you're good to go.
WordySanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 01:48 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Dude just buy a stubby it's like $10. Yall really debating on a antenna lol.

Laquisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 03:12 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Lol, totally.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 03:40 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:

This.

I just ordered one (though don't blame anyone for clipping and capping. Sad truth of my life is, the UPS guy will be here before I get enough time to actually run down to Autozone.
WordySanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 05:52 PM   #32
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Nah, it's ordered and on the car. And Wordy, I do tend to overthink things. Bad habit picked up after four years of engineering school. I don't want "a solution" I want "the best solution".

And epoxying a bolt to a mount wouldn't work because I would have to make sure the orientation was the same every time. I already ordered a mount that I think will look good and be strong. I had planned to go to Home Depot today to figure out what size bolt I need, but working in retail, it has been a bit hectic lately (switched majors from engineering to logistics a few semesters before graduating with BS in aerospace).

As I said, if it doesn't work right, it can always go on my mountain bike, so it's no wasted money...

Old 12-24-2014, 12:21 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Cravenspeed "The Stubby" antenna

I'd like a stock antenna in Silver.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Midnight2012 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang