Differences between long and short headers?? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-18-2014, 01:37 AM   #1
Registered Member
Region: California
Differences between long and short headers??

What exactly are the differences and which will give me better performance gains, sound, etc.

syndicate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 06:28 AM   #2
Registered Member
Region: New York
Literally just went through a highly detailed and thorough explanation of this on a recent thread. Not to be rude, but please search. There are 20 different header threads right now all repeating the same thing.

Sent from my 831C using Mustang Evolution mobile app

"At least it isn't a Honda"
GrabberBlue1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 06:40 AM   #3
Registered Member
Region: Texas
Just got done doing a lot of research on this and ended up going with LTs. The thing that you will hear over and over again is that shorties will provide more low end torque and LTs will provide more power in the higher RPMs. What helped most in my decision were the dyno results. Below are youtube links for bbk shorties and bbk LTs. Wait for the dyno charts and compare.

Hope this helps anybody trying to decide between the 2 options.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
JR4288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 11:11 AM   #4
Registered Member
Region: Alabama
Make sure you do really good research on O2 sensors failing with long tubes while your at it. Only 1 brand of long tubes don't throw any codes.
Also make sure to check some other forums on comparison of LT vs. Shorties of actual people owning both, not just a manufacturer claim. LT's barely make more peak hp while shorties provide more torque down low. There are several people who have owned LT's and swapped out to shorties.
If you need further proof of how well shorties work, find the 3.7 drag list and see which headers most of the people are running. It might surprise you.
SouthernCyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 05:39 PM   #5
Registered Member
Region: Tennessee
Long tubes are illegal except for Off Road vehicles and Shorties are not
2013 V6 MCoA, Performance Package, Security Package, Comfort Package and Electronic Package.
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 11:28 PM   #6
Registered Member
Region: Indiana
Originally Posted by syndicate View Post
What exactly are the differences and which will give me better performance gains, sound, etc.
Your in California, Shorties are your only option because of the SMOG requirements their.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Ford Racing Sport Axle-Back Exhaust...Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 06:18 AM   #7
Registered Member
Region: Washington
Like southerncyclone said. The power difference isn't much. I had both on my 94 3.8 and I preferred shorties over the long tubes. Shorties are awesome for bolt on performance because they bolt right in unlike long tunes that require custom work. Most work with oem emission equipment. And usually cheaper. I'm not saying long tubes don't have their place but in comparison a WELL built/designed shorty will be a better choice.

sledge42hammer is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang