Borla Headers w/ Mac Pro Chamber - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-18-2014, 02:06 AM   #1
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Borla Headers w/ Mac Pro Chamber

Is this possible? I'm looking at the Borla longtube headers and the only specs I can find state the outlet diameter is 2.25" while the Mac Pro Chamber states it's made with 2.5" pipe. The Borlas come with their own X-pipe while the Pro Chamber states it only fits on Mac headers (longtube anyways, the version for shorty headers does not specify this). The front of the Pro Chamber looks to have removeable tubes where the flanges connect to the header. It seems that I could remove this part and the Pro Chamber should fit where Borla's X-pipe is located. Has anyone done this? I'm thinking this setup paired with Borla S-Types should sound pretty good. I definitely want the Pro Chamber to avoid the rasp as much as possible, and I know I could just go with BBK shorty headers to fit the Pro Chamber, but I never seem to want to do things the easy way.

And yes, I know on the link to the Pro Chamber it states that it won't work with Borla headers, but I didn't know if that specified because of the attachments or what not...

Borla

Mac
MAC Off-road Pro Chamber 100198 Shorty Mid-Pipe 21205 (11-14 V6 w/ Long Tube Headers) - Free Shipping

"Holy crap bro. You're a genius." - 2011 Kona Blue
au01st is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2014, 06:51 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
The borlas look like they have different connection design. The borlas come with the x-pipe included. I would just use that. Don't think you will be able to find someone to buy just the x-pipe so it would be a waste to buy the combo and then have to buy the H-pipe. If you want LTs and H-pipe I would get the bbk LTs and the pro chamber H-pipe. This would still be cheaper than the borla LT combo. I just ordered Bbk LTs and bbk O/R x-pipe for $525 new compared to the borlas that run about $880. Hope this helps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
JR4288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 08:51 AM   #3
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

The Pro Chamber for long tubes states it only works with Mac long tubes.

They do look like they have a different connection, but it you look at the front of the Pro Chamber the pipe looks removable and the H-pipe should slide onto the end of the Borla tube. Worst case scenario I think a reducer could be welded in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2014, 10:22 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Well if that's the route you want to go you should do it but you are still left with the borla x-pipe

Old 12-18-2014, 10:26 AM   #5
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR4288 View Post
Well if that's the route you want to go you should do it but you are still left with the borla x-pipe

Haha, yeah. I would probably drive it for a while with the X-pipe. The Pro Chamber isn't cheap... I just feel like it will provide the sound I want, and if I'm gonna throw on $600 mufflers for sound only, what's another $600?

Old 12-18-2014, 10:31 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Personally I don't find the borla headers worth that much cash. You could get the Mac Longtubes in a ceramic coating for much less and not have to worry about fitment issues.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 10:41 AM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM91 View Post
Personally I don't find the borla headers worth that much cash. You could get the Mac Longtubes in a ceramic coating for much less and not have to worry about fitment issues.

I agree. It will just make things easier.

Also keep this in mind. I live near MAC and Ive been been trying for about 2 months to get the weld in Pro Chamber and its never in stock. They keep telling me next week...
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 10:44 AM   #8
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Any reason they're not worth it? I'm assuming about 25% mark-up because of the name, and throw in the X-pipe and they're not that unreasonable.

Haven't really found any videos with them, but maybe there's a reason for that...

Old 12-18-2014, 10:50 AM   #9
Registered Member

Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by au01st View Post
Any reason they're not worth it? I'm assuming about 25% mark-up because of the name, and throw in the X-pipe and they're not that unreasonable.

Haven't really found any videos with them, but maybe there's a reason for that...

No reason. You're definitely paying for the name. They do make a good product though. Its some thing you can install and be pretty sure you're getting high quality. On the other hand MAC isnt horrible either. They do tend to have a few quality issues some times but overall they are a good company.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 11:54 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Do some research on which LT's have O2 sensor problems.
I'm pretty sure Borla's don't suffer any O2 sensor problems.
SouthernCyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 12:00 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCyclone View Post
Do some research on which LT's have O2 sensor problems.
I'm pretty sure Borla's don't suffer any O2 sensor problems.
Not the O2 sensors themslves, but the extensions are a known issue. But with the correct routing on the BBK you don't need the extensions.

2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 01:30 PM   #12
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Now I wonder what the difference is between Pre-2010 and 10-14 V6 Pro Chambers? They look the same and the older ones are available for about $300. Seems they are just an empty box inside, and if the piping size is the same, the only difference would be the connectors at the front of the pipes, and if I'm going to discard those anyways...

Old 12-19-2014, 07:45 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
I would go with the Mac ceramic Lts and modify your choice of mid pipe I've never been a fan of the pro chamber. You get the best of both worlds with the Macs. Everyone says shorties for low end power and Lts for top end power. Shorties have 1 5/8" piping and Lts have 1 3/4" piping that peak a lil more up top. The macs are 1 5/8" Lts so your looking at a better power band across the rpms. I'm a firm believer of using smaller header piping on small cubic inch engines. When I had the Mac shorties my power band increased throughout with the 1 5/8" piping. The Mac collectors don't sweep low like the BBK and Borla do they are almost like mid length headers. This is why Mac midpipes are for their headers only

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Bigshow14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 07:47 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Now I wonder what the difference is between Pre-2010 and 10-14 V6 Pro Chambers? They look the same and the older ones are available for about $300. Seems they are just an empty box inside, and if the piping size is the same, the only difference would be the connectors at the front of the pipes, and if I'm going to discard those anyways...
I've looked into this before and I believe the clamp connections are the only difference. Never seen an actual picture of one but maybe we can get someone to post one for reference

Old 12-19-2014, 08:08 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Keep in mind the borlas are stainless and will likely outlast the car. The bbk, Mac, etc are not. To me, living in an area with salt stainless is worth the extra cost.
Old 12-19-2014, 08:30 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

The Mac ceramic Lts are high enough to avoid scrapes and most rock chips from the road. Also the pro chamber is stainless

Old 12-20-2014, 04:03 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

If you can swing it I would go with ARH LT with there H-pipe. I've heard nothing but good things about fitment and quality. Kinda pricey but I contacted Beefcake and they were willing to sell me the LTs w/ H-pipe for $1100. It's also all stainless!

http://www.teambeefcakeracing.com/mstv634nc.html
AJcruz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 06:58 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I have not done the H-Pipe due to performance reasons, but I can say that I had zero fitment issues with the borla headers, including the O2 sensors, the ford wires were very conveniently long enough, just had to undo some of the bundle to make slack.

Proving to my fellow racers that the disdain that some GT drivers have for V6 drivers is unfounded, one results archive at a time since 2013.
jande063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 08:05 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

The ProChamber is worth having on your car. For the performance and the deeper exhaust note is worth it. A Mustang shop can align the pipes to fit no problem.
-Can't pass up saying that you have BORLA LT headers and a ProChamber. That's a dream combo.
robb15033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 08:17 AM   #20
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Haha, I just paid for my S-Types, and will have them on in January sometime. Figured I'd keep it all in the Borla family if I could.

Old 12-22-2014, 08:37 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Thats great for you. I recommend a set of hi-flow cats to offeset resonator being removed losing low-end torque and they will help get a lower tone through exhaust.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:05 AM   #22
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Negative ghost rider. If I'm going to bother with cats I'll leave the stock ones in and leave the headers alone.

Old 12-22-2014, 07:09 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Can't use your stock cats with LTs.

Old 12-28-2014, 09:10 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Negative ghost rider. If I'm going to bother with cats I'll leave the stock ones in and leave the headers alone.

2V has 4 cats that deteriorate at a quick speed and need to be part of maintenance too.
4V has 6 cats.
-Cats and O2 sensors should be part of any exhaust job, gives more accurate info to a dyno machine when creating new files. Adding 3:73's would be nice toooo!
-Hi-flow cats are usful for alot of good things- back pressure/low end torque, exhaust tone sounds better, less rasy noise, it's leagal most places. Race/Speed shops can reccomend one or go wih Borla, Flowmaster, Spintech, Magnaflow, all slim and about 11" long.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang