It used to be a rental, bought it at 50k miles, now at 65k - Maintenance Questions - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-18-2014, 06:02 AM   #1

Region: California
It used to be a rental, bought it at 50k miles, now at 65k - Maintenance Questions

It's been a year since I've had my 2012 V6. I bought it from a rental agency at ~50k miles. I took it to the dealer and they thoroughly inspected it and gave me the okay to buy it, so I went with it. Now at 65k, I have zero problems.

But I've come to realize that I should probably pay more attention to the maintenance. All I've done is change oil every 3k. I use regular, but after scouring the threads here it's clear that I should make the switch to synthetic. But what else should I budget for so I can keep this car for a while? I don't know much about cars to be honest. I drive in Los Angeles where there are a lot of highway miles, and much more stop-and-go traffic. I'd just like to know some things to keep in mind so I can budget for and have them done over the next few months.
zizour10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2014, 06:41 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
use name brand fuel, or at least popular stations, more use = more new fuel shipments. being la, That shouldnt be tough.
Highways, go ahead and bolt it. the best way to clean out your engine is hard driving. all that heat out the exhaust gets rid of carbon deposits. especially those california cats. You dont have to use synthetic oil if you use a good brand. But technically, it is a better oil. Dont waste your money on oil flushes or too many additives in the fuel. proper maintainence goes a long way. do a coolant flush. change transmission fluid. and flush your break fluid if you can at some point. fluids are better clean.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:53 AM   #3
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
I'll just say, people like me are the reason I would never buy a rental car, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Holy crap bro. You're a genius." - 2011 Kona Blue
au01st is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2014, 09:00 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by au01st View Post
I'll just say, people like me are the reason I would never buy a rental car, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
True that. But hey, if the dealer inspects it and says okay and its only 50k, with a really good price i'd probably take it too. But yea, not only is it a rental, its a rental mustang. Im sure its seen its redline quite a bit.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:14 AM   #5
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
use your OLM (oil life monitor) and change it when it gets to 20-30% (you'll see other opinions) do the recommended maintenance in the owners manual and you should be good. Avoid dealers that try and up sell procedures not in the manual.

enjoy the ride.
Old 12-18-2014, 05:53 PM   #6

Is the OLM accurate to go by? The reason I ask is I'm at 4k miles from my last oil change (regular oil) and it's indicating 70%. That can't be right?

With the transmission and steering fluids, when should those be changed and how much do they cost?

Unrelated, but my mechanic is charging me $240 to change all four breaks. Is this reasonable?

---------- Post added at 05:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:53 PM ----------

Is the OLM accurate to go by? The reason I ask is I'm at 4k miles from my last oil change (regular oil) and it's indicating 70%. That can't be right?

With the transmission and steering fluids, when should those be changed and how much do they cost?

Unrelated, but my mechanic is charging me $240 to change all four breaks. Is this reasonable?
zizour10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 07:14 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
It's designed for synthetic blend/ full synthetic, if your not using either DO NOT go by the OLM.
paintmann111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 10:31 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenixignition View Post
use name brand fuel, or at least popular stations, more use = more new fuel shipments. being la,
I second that. My dad uses Costco fuel exclusively in SoCal (for his '13 Forester), and his car started making weird noises and having performance issues. His mechanic buddy told him it was his fuel injectors, directly caused by ****ty fuel, and he changed it for him for free.
mkashew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 10:49 PM   #9
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Be extra careful with rentals since they are often treated like crap. Change every single fluid in that car. Motor oil, transmission, rear end, brake, coolant ect............. Go over the suspension with a fine tooth comb, people generally aren't nice on rental car suspensions.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 10:50 PM   #10
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkashew View Post
I second that. My dad uses Costco fuel exclusively in SoCal (for his '13 Forester), and his car started making weird noises and having performance issues. His mechanic buddy told him it was his fuel injectors, directly caused by ****ty fuel, and he changed it for him for free.
I've had very good luck with Costco fuel. Always use 91 octane, i'm up in NorCal.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 11:14 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
I can't speak to the fuel quality, but around here gas stations don't get much more high use than Costco.

Just follow the Ford recommendations for oil quality (as a minimum) and change interval as stated in the owners manual. On every modern engine I'm aware of, even ones calling out conventional oil, 3k change intervals are nothing more than an unfortunate myth.

In fact, your owners manual is a great place to start reading if you want to learn pretty much everything you need to know for basic maintenance requirements...Among other things.

You can follow my Ford based 'Locost' build at:
GarageOdyssey.blogspot.com
GarageOdyssey.tumblr.com
@GarageOdyssey (instagram and twitter)
Driven5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 11:17 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Didn't costco make the list for top tier gases?
Old 12-19-2014, 12:33 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangholio View Post
Yes, Costco - more specifically Kirkland - brand fuel is on the list of companies that add more cleaning solutions to their fuel and is considered a top-rated brand. It needs to be a Costco that sells the Kirkland with additives brand - though I'm unsure if any Costco sells anything else anymore. You used to have to pick and choose your Costco.

My last Mustang, 2011 V6 Premium, was a former rental, though it only had about 35k miles on it when I bought it. Still, never had a single problem with it and I put it through the paces plenty. Regular oil changes and getting those multi-point inspections is good advice for any car, not just former rentals.

Also, no matter how badly they are driven, they are usually VERY well maintained by the rental agency - the last thing they need are cars that break down on their customers.
ninerone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 03:33 PM   #14

Region: Wyoming
I've had a couple of lease return vehicles and I've never had problems. I agree, Rental companies fix problems right away and maintain them well because a car on the lot makes no money
Dr RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 03:51 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangholio View Post
We have used Costco for several years in several different cars, a few which "required" premium. Never had any problems and I saw a study years ago where it was rated highly.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang