future plans for our new mustang - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-19-2014, 06:57 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
future plans for our new mustang

We (wife and I) got our 14 v6 a couple months ago for a pretty good deal. Used with 4k miles on it. Previous owner blew up old engine somehow. So new engine and it's already got 26k miles on it. Wife drives it a lot. A LOT... I drive it occasionally and enjoy the heck out of it. Drives me nuts that people dog on v6 mustangs anymore. Hell, 300 hp is plenty for spirited driving!

Moving on, I'm personally into suzuki swifts... with turbos. Oh yeah and it was my goal to get one into 14s with stock computer no piggy back just sensor trickery. The one I just built can take the mustang no problem at a tolling start, but from a dig traction is a challenge on these little bastards. So I guess my point is, I can't leave the little cyclone alone.

I'm not looking into fi or nos but just the basics. My wife bought a damn bbk cai. Wish She hadn't. Would Have Preferred Shorties instead. But either way it's got the cai. I'd like to put shorty headers on it. It has bbk x pipe and magnaflow axle backs. Next move is a gt tb to smooth it out. I know it needs machined and am capable. I'm also looking into porting and intake manifolds to.

Probably wondering why I didn't mention a tuner... well because that's what I'm looking for feedback on. I'm looking for a tuner that is actually set up closer to vehicle needs with the changes made. Like poerted manifolds and such. not just a generic high octane, low octane, and economy tune. Thanks.

Jo
sledge42hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2014, 08:23 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
The v6 is extremely capable. I've built a full track 88 rx7 t2 and had a 2012 wrx before my v6. My base v6 is every bit as capable as either of those cars while being much more comfortable for long drives.

You have a plan, keep us posted on the progress. I will say, the extensive work you have planned may not give you the gains you are hoping for. They are good mods, but you will will get more bang for your buck with a dyno tune, 73mm tb and opening up the exhaust. If you go to the 73mm tb, I would suggest a steeda intake to take full advantage of it. Then work on the porting and such last if you still want more(who doesn't?).
Wysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 09:37 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Good point on a getting a dyno tune. Im going to looking into that. I'm going with 80mm gt tb even though I know I won't gain much if any.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2014, 09:47 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
I'll have my throttle body off in a few days if anyone wants to buy it. I have a 2014 gt. Just pm me
If you do.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
WhiteCali5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 10:59 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

pmed

has anyone played with acid porting and then polishing the stock ex manifolds?
Old 12-20-2014, 12:09 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
There are no gains using a GT throttle body. It's 80mm and frankly it's too big. The 67mm is much crisper on slow speed throttle tip in. The 73mm BBK has shown some down low gains but I have tested the 80mm and the 67mm at the track and there are no gains to be had. The 80mm tb has even been back to back dyno ed on a turbo setup and showed zero gains. I have had both on my setup and the 67mm stock on a MPT tune is as good as you will get.

I see more and more guys thinking the Gt tb is a way to go but it truly is money wasted.
popeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 01:41 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I understand there isn't any gain but I got one for 20 bucks and may as well. But I plan on other mods to compliment it.
Old 12-20-2014, 01:46 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Your not gonna compliment ****, THERE ARE NO GAINS!. Yah know what, actually your gonna be able to smoke every 5.0 and Gt500 you come across. I tried to keep it a secret and hoped you wouldn't stumble upon it. Just don't tell anyone else how fast your car really is.
Old 12-20-2014, 01:48 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Thank you.
Old 12-20-2014, 08:32 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Pop do you think it's beneficial to get rid of the 73mm bbk tb if we have it on and go back to stock? It seemed to help my car out I'll know when I get it dyno'd once my ported intake manis come in

Sent from my 831C using Mustang Evolution mobile app

---------- Post added at 09:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:31 AM ----------

And I'm glad to hear I was right about the GT tb having no gains

Old 12-20-2014, 11:30 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

The BBK has proven down low gains and is the properly sized TB for the 3.7. Bigger than that which the 80mm GT is is too much of a good thing. The Gt tb had very good street manners and idled perfectly. But a well data logged tune, GT verses the 67mm stock. The 67mm was better everywhere. The 73 isn't a mod that will blow you away but a small piece of the 3.7 puzzle. The GT tb has diminished returns.

And to those who doubt the no gains the entire CAI was perfectly matched to the Gt tb and everything was blended well. If it were me Grabber I would stay with the 73 but just get it well data logged and you know I will go with MPT every time
Old 12-20-2014, 11:36 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by popeye View Post
The BBK has proven down low gains and is the properly sized TB for the 3.7. Bigger than that which the 80mm GT is is too much of a good thing. The Gt tb had very good street manners and idled perfectly. But a well data logged tune, GT verses the 67mm stock. The 67mm was better everywhere. The 73 isn't a mod that will blow you away but a small piece of the 3.7 puzzle. The GT tb has diminished returns.

And to those who doubt the no gains the entire CAI was perfectly matched to the Gt tb and everything was blended well. If it were me Grabber I would stay with the 73 but just get it well data logged and you know I will go with MPT every time
So the stock TB is better all around compared to the BBK and the GT?...well then i guess ill keep it stock. I was reading a few guys on hear were running the GT and they were just impressed with how the car felt after...nothing too crazy but they felt it helped smooth out the acceleration.
Fintile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 11:46 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I have not had my hand on a BBK. That is second hand knowledge, I have extensive knowledge on the GT vs 67mm and that I know the 67 is far better. I started out with a 67mm that was tuned, mounted a GT and that was tuned. Went back with the 67mm. The 3.7 ECU adapts very well on these cars and allows a lot of leeway on combinations. Drag times were absolutely identical on the two TBs. The 67 is crisper and quicker on initial throttle tip in. If you need smoother, THAT is all tune related.
Old 12-20-2014, 01:39 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I have not had my hand on a BBK. That is second hand knowledge, I have extensive knowledge on the GT vs 67mm and that I know the 67 is far better. I started out with a 67mm that was tuned, mounted a GT and that was tuned. Went back with the 67mm. The 3.7 ECU adapts very well on these cars and allows a lot of leeway on combinations. Drag times were absolutely identical on the two TBs. The 67 is crisper and quicker on initial throttle tip in. If you need smoother, THAT is all tune related.
I see, well based on that knowledge Im still going to say that an extra 6mm isnt really going to do a whole lot, if 13mm didnt help/hurt much. You have ported Ims right?
Old 12-20-2014, 04:12 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Once I get my ported intake manis I'm going to do very extensive data logging with mpt. I feel like the bbk 73 May Give some gains down low vs the stock 67. I definitely feel an increase between 2k-4.5k range . I feel like the 73mm will really tie in the CAl, tb, ported intake manis, and shorty headers

Old 12-20-2014, 04:40 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Looking for power and porting but wants a shortys? Lol 💅✊

🐸☕️

Naturally Aspirated Is Lyfe
Laquisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 04:45 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laquisha View Post
Looking for power and porting but wants a shortys? Lol 💅✊

🐸☕️

Most people can't live with the sound and rasp of a long tube with the 3.7 not to mention it not passing in most of the states. Shorties do quite well enough if even just for the quality of the sound.
Old 12-20-2014, 08:44 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Most people can't live with the sound and rasp of a long tube with the 3.7 not to mention it not passing in most of the states. Shorties do quite well enough if even just for the quality of the sound.

Agreed. I went with shortys on my 2010 4.6 basically for the sound. Long tubes sound like garbage with some mufflers and no cats imho. I didn't want super rasp on that car so I had super 10s and bbk shortys. Sounded amazing I thought.

Old 12-20-2014, 08:53 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

That's what I'm looking for is no raspy
Old 12-20-2014, 09:06 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
No point in porting your intake then it you go for sound.

Laquisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 09:07 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

As long as you don't remove your cats rasp won't be as big an issue. Also decide now. Do you want a muscle car sound or just a really nice almost exotic car sound? Different set up will give you way different sounds
Old 12-21-2014, 09:13 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

No point in porting your car if you have shorties? What?
FYI I live in NY and cannot have LT headers because of emissions.
Even if I could I still would have went w. The shorties, the car needs the power down low.
Shorties give a very good amount of power and let you have a "no rasp" exhaust. My exhaust is perfect to me.
Just because we all don't follow the "cookie cutter build" in your eyes doesn't mean or her builds aren't viable.
My build is exactly what I want for my needs and wants.
I'm still not understanding what you meant by your comment really

Old 12-21-2014, 09:15 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Not gonna ruin my exhaust sound for a few HP up top

Old 12-21-2014, 12:17 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue1993 View Post
Even if I could I still would have went w. The shorties, the car needs the power down low.
Shorties give a very good amount of power and let you have a "no rasp" exhaust. My exhaust is perfect to me.
Just because we all don't follow the "cookie cutter build" in your eyes doesn't mean or her builds aren't viable.

+1, for me going LTS also made no sense, IMO as soon as the factory mid pipe is replaced whether catted or not your extremely limited to what AB can be used. Anything mid to loud in ABs sound terrible with LTS. That's when magnaflow streets or stockers become useful because they are quiet and will help balance out the sound. Shorties give a nice little bump down low where our cars lack. Just my 2¢

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 11:58 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

LOL, i have to dissagree with that statement about NOT folloing a cookie cutter build. almost 80% of the people on here have the same basic setup: Borlas, x pipe, Airraid...those 3 things right there. Thats pretty cookie cutter to me, but again its all on what you want. Your gonna buy what you want.
Quote:
Not gonna ruin my exhaust sound for a few HP up top

i wish it was a FEW, but ya. Not worth it for obnoxious noise
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
+1, for me going LTS also made no sense, IMO as soon as the factory mid pipe is replaced whether catted or not your extremely limited to what AB can be used. Anything mid to loud in ABs sound terrible with LTS. That's when magnaflow streets or stockers become useful because they are quiet and will help balance out the sound. Shorties give a nice little bump down low where our cars lack. Just my 2¢

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Agreed
Old 12-22-2014, 03:53 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

I have borlas. Because they're the best sounding exhaust imo. X pipe. Nah. Airaid? Nah.

Old 01-02-2015, 01:21 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Gt tb installed and yes it DOES makes a difference. Butt dyno confirms it. Twice!
Old 01-02-2015, 02:40 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledge42hammer View Post
Gt tb installed and yes it DOES makes a difference. Butt dyno confirms it. Twice!
Thats good to know. i got a TB spacer from a guy on the Cyclone FB page. Might look to fabricate it to fit the GT TB.
Old 01-02-2015, 03:58 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by sledge42hammer View Post
Unfortunately "butt dyno" is not reliable. If you think you will feel a difference, there's a high probability you will even if in reality there isn't. Its called placebo.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
95Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang