Why cant we turbo like this? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-19-2014, 09:21 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Lightbulb Why cant we turbo like this?

Why cant it be this easy?
-SOLD-13.246s@107.81 RaceRed 2013 v6 Mustang, 3.73 gears, MPT 91Race Tune, Axle-Back Straight Pipe, Tower Brace, BMR LCA's, BBK Shorty Headers, BMR Relocation Brackets, Lethal Performance X-Pipe Catless.
-2008 Civic SI...
RaceRed3.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2014, 09:29 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
ummmm, what are we looking at here? I see a turbo with a built in wastegate and oil feed lines...what makes this easy compared to others?
Fintile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 09:31 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I believe that's the ST or EB mustang turbo. They've got Exhaust manifolds built into the head, so basically that little "arm" is all you need to swap turbos. Several pros and cons to a set up like this, but i guess it would be "easy."
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2014, 09:32 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
I believe that's the ST or EB mustang turbo. They've got Exhaust manifolds built into the head, so basically that little "arm" is all you need to swap turbos. Several pros and cons to a set up like this, but i guess it would be "easy."
dang I wonder if the new 2015 4's can do this method! Were ****ed lol.. Ya its from a ST. Gosh I just dont see why we have to spend 4k+ for turbo kits. If it was like 2k Id buy one for sure lol
-SOLD-13.246s@107.81 RaceRed 2013 v6 Mustang, 3.73 gears, MPT 91Race Tune, Axle-Back Straight Pipe, Tower Brace, BMR LCA's, BBK Shorty Headers, BMR Relocation Brackets, Lethal Performance X-Pipe Catless.
-2008 Civic SI...
Old 12-19-2014, 09:45 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Its because our cars did NOT come boosted from the factory...we literally have to fabricate all the components to fit the turbos into the setup.
If you had a turbo to begin with, even a small one, then it would just be a matter of swapping injectors, fuel pump, bigger turbo, higher psi wastegate or boost controller (I prefer an external wastegate with adjustable spring) and then tune...wouldnt cost more than $1200-$2500 depending on how extensive you want it...it could even be cheeper.
Just swap a bigger turbo in there and you could gain hp on a stock tune.

Ive been there, done that on a few cars and its a headache i NEVER want to go through again. If I am going to mess with boost on a car its because the damn thing came with it to begin with or I have a second car and money to play with (no, daddys money is not for me to **** with my car).
Old 12-19-2014, 09:48 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceRed3.7 View Post
dang I wonder if the new 2015 4's can do this method! Were ****ed lol.. Ya its from a ST. Gosh I just dont see why we have to spend 4k+ for turbo kits. If it was like 2k Id buy one for sure lol
Like Fintle said, you're having to start from scratch on a factory NA car. You need an intercooler, need a manifold of sorts, need boost control, need a turbo, need lines, pipes, hoses ... All those things add up very quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintile View Post
Its because our cars did NOT come boosted from the factory...we literally have to fabricate all the components to fit the turbos into the setup.
If you had a turbo to begin with, even a small one, then it would just be a matter of swapping injectors, fuel pump, bigger turbo, higher psi wastegate or boost controller (I prefer an external wastegate with adjustable spring) and then tune...wouldnt cost more than $1200-$2500 depending on how extensive you want it...it could even be cheeper.
Just swap a bigger turbo in there and you would gain hp on a stock tune

Yup. Although injectors arent really there for DI yet, we'll have to see what the Stock EB fuel system can handle, and then see what the aftermarket does for Auxiliary systems.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 10:17 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Ya I understang <--lol tired of this auto v6. I have a friend with a 20yr old car and he can keep up and he is stock sc300 (2jz-ge) should had just went his route cuz he can turbo for 900 and its a decent turbo kit.
-2008 Civic SI...
Old 12-19-2014, 10:48 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceRed3.7 View Post
Ya I understang <--lol tired of this auto v6. I have a friend with a 20yr old car and he can keep up and he is stock sc300 (2jz-ge) should had just went his route cuz he can turbo for 900 and its a decent turbo kit.
$900 isnt bad, 2jz-ge is what an N/A Supra motor right? Plus its 20 years old. less electrical garbage to worry about i would think. A buddy of mine did that to his IS300 spent about 3k doing it but it hauled *** afterward.

I agree the autos have a little less power to the wheels from the start and gears really make a difference. Im thinking of making the jump from 3.31 to 3.73 if i can get it done for a good price.
Old 12-19-2014, 12:04 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
$900 isnt bad, 2jz-ge is what an N/A Supra motor right? Plus its 20 years old. less electrical garbage to worry about i would think. A buddy of mine did that to his IS300 spent about 3k doing it but it hauled *** afterward.

I agree the autos have a little less power to the wheels from the start and gears really make a difference. Im thinking of making the jump from 3.31 to 3.73 if i can get it done for a good price.
Ya I was gonna do that too, but I read some forums and saw it only took off .1 off there 1/4 miles. Idk I might just save up for long tubes and x-pipe. That's the best bang for your buck I hear. and ya the gear kit is only like $320ish but the install would be hell no matter if I do it or if I pay someone lol.
-2008 Civic SI...
Old 12-19-2014, 02:24 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Are you planing on tracking your car pretty regularly? The car has plenty of power its just a matter of getting the power planted to the ground, gears will help along with better tires...thoe P-Zeros are just that...Zeros...they are the biggest poser tire I've ever seen. They Say Pirelli but act like a low grade General TIRE...
Old 12-19-2014, 02:27 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Are you planing on tracking your car pretty regularly? The car has plenty of power its just a matter of getting the power planted to the ground, gears will help along with better tires...thoe P-Zeros are just that...Zeros...they are the biggest poser tire I've ever seen. They Say Pirelli but act like a low grade General TIRE...
Ya I know what your saying. Lot of power being restricted from the crank to the wheels. man I just say **** it and turbo and drive shaft with some suspension and call it a day. The problem is the money.. lol
-2008 Civic SI...
Old 12-20-2014, 09:55 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Only .1 ??? Who told u that lol I have an auto and with only tune I ran a 14.0, after gears I ran 13.4 . Went from 2.73 to 3.73 btw.
R.R.STANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 10:55 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.R.STANG View Post
Only .1 ??? Who told u that lol I have an auto and with only tune I ran a 14.0, after gears I ran 13.4 . Went from 2.73 to 3.73 btw.
3.73s....the more i see this the more i want them...
Old 12-20-2014, 11:22 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
3.73s....the more i see this the more i want them...
They are fantastic. If you can get the cash together you gotta do it! You won't be disappointed. I also went from 2.73s to 3.73s.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang