sr short shifter and bracket install - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-20-2014, 07:25 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
sr short shifter and bracket install

hey all so I looked at the YouTube video provided by am for the above install but they removed the driveshaft!!!! I was like wth I was underneath and the installation seems difficult. anyway, is it easy to remove driveshaft? I'm fed up w it lol may just go to a shop for install. also for those who have removed the rubber boot, how do u put it back te same way? all nice and tight?

Flowmaster force 2 exhaust, jlt cai, x4 bama tuner, carbon fiber dash overlay kit, modern retro shift knob, mmd hood and side scoops, classic quarter louvers, gt500 spoiler, 3.7 and pony emblems, mustang rocker stripes, eibach anti sway roll bar kit, Bbk shorty ceramic tuned headers
Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
elkoritaNAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2014, 07:31 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
You don't need to remove the driveshaft.
Old 12-20-2014, 07:35 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

it's too difficult without it or a lift. ds is a major interference

Flowmaster force 2 exhaust, jlt cai, x4 bama tuner, carbon fiber dash overlay kit, modern retro shift knob, mmd hood and side scoops, classic quarter louvers, gt500 spoiler, 3.7 and pony emblems, mustang rocker stripes, eibach anti sway roll bar kit, Bbk shorty ceramic tuned headers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2014, 08:32 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
If you have extensions and a swivel you should be in good shape. I would not remove the ds, that would be a pain in the ***. The boot should be shoved all the way in and then start with the back and work it up slowly until you feel it kinda pop into place as it fits in a channel or groove. You have to go slow or you will pour gas on the entire car and blow it up.
Roush Stage 1 blower,OE boost gauge,Custom axleback,MRT H-pipe,Barton short shifter and bracket,Whiteline trans bushing,McCleod RXT twin disc clutch w/billet steel flywheel,Steeda braided clutch line,Steeda g-force brace,Steeda subframe braces,Whiteline front sway bar,SR rear sway bar,SR rear vertical links,MM camber plates,Mich Pilot SS tires,Roush rear spoiler and hood heat extractors,25mm wheel spacers,and Ford Performance hood shocks,JLT oil separator,Flossy heavy weight shift knob
20bmr14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 08:48 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

why is everyone so afraid to remove the DS??? its like 4 bolts on each side so like 8 total??? I swapped mine for an aluminum ds and took me all but 30 mins for the entire job.
Lan_Evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 11:59 PM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

Super easy install.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 09:03 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkoritaNAY View Post
it's too difficult without it or a lift. ds is a major interference

If you have stock springs and DS its easy. I backed my car on the ramps then used a floor jack to lift the body to give me the needed clearance. This was done when I had a bigger diameter DS and the SR Springs. I installed the Barton one piece bracket. I rather not remove the DS if I didnt need to. Little more time involved but easy
Bigshow14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 12:48 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Yeah not that hard to do. The right tools will help.
Roush Stage 1 blower,OE boost gauge,Custom axleback,MRT H-pipe,Barton short shifter and bracket,Whiteline trans bushing,McCleod RXT twin disc clutch w/billet steel flywheel,Steeda braided clutch line,Steeda g-force brace,Steeda subframe braces,Whiteline front sway bar,SR rear sway bar,SR rear vertical links,MM camber plates,Mich Pilot SS tires,Roush rear spoiler and hood heat extractors,25mm wheel spacers,and Ford Performance hood shocks,JLT oil separator,Flossy heavy weight shift knob
20bmr14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 01:03 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigshow14 View Post
If you have stock springs and DS its easy. I backed my car on the ramps then used a floor jack to lift the body to give me the needed clearance. This was done when I had a bigger diameter DS and the SR Springs. I installed the Barton one piece bracket. I rather not remove the DS if I didnt need to. Little more time involved but easy
This. A friend of mine installed bracket for me - I guess I backed my car on ramps and used a jack for front. You DON'T need to remove driveshaft at all, just use extention and swivel. Checkout Barton shifter and bracket instal video by CJ pony parts, they have it laid out purdy clear. Once the bracket is off, put your shifter in, bolt it up and then install your bracket.

TIP: do use 2 washers (#45?) Underneath the shifter on each hole. You need to lift up your shifter a bit. Why? Cuz if you don't, within a few weeks the shifter spring is gonna get spongy and you will lose your reverse lockout + clear distinction between 1 and 3rd gear. Ask me how I know..

It was a major pain in the arse when you're the first one at traffic lights and instead of going forward, you end up going back - fcukin reverse gear! And it times it would go into 3rd, since 1st and 3rd are quite close. None of this happened once I had my shifter raised.
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 08:36 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lan_Evo View Post
why is everyone so afraid to remove the DS??? its like 4 bolts on each side so like 8 total??? I swapped mine for an aluminum ds and took me all but 30 mins for the entire job.
Not about being afraid. It's just not necessary and really it's wasted time for a bracket and short throw install. I think my Barton went in from start to finish in 30 min tops.
Old 12-21-2014, 08:46 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

thanks guys went to shop and charged 75 it's all good I'm happy. shop owner has a gt500 07 w about 650 hp lol took me for a ride. anyway shifter does its job... just a little clungy there is definitely more noise ican hear gear catching lol

Old 12-21-2014, 09:06 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
thanks guys went to shop and charged 75 it's all good I'm happy. shop owner has a gt500 07 w about 650 hp lol took me for a ride. anyway shifter does its job... just a little clungy there is definitely more noise ican hear gear catching lol

Did he put washers underneath your shifter or not? Something you need for sure with SR shifters
Old 12-21-2014, 09:08 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I have just the bracket and mine is the same noisy clunky sounding. Give it a few months and you wont even notice it anymore.
Old 12-21-2014, 09:13 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

no I don't mind at all... car feels quick lol even w 2.73 gears... decide to take a drive out to Malibu from la was doing good but then once I hit 101 got bunch of traffic... anyways car feels faster lol

Old 12-22-2014, 12:02 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

The install is strait forward. First you remove the stock bracket using a socket wrench, I guess you've already done that, then put the new bracket on using grease or hot water to slip the bushing on. No need to take off the drive shaft, just just have to maneuver around it. Before you tighten the bolts on the bracket you have to let it hang loose to install the shifter. The reason you keep it loose for the shifter install is because there is one bolt that holds the shifter that is more easily accessible if the bracket is loose allowing the shifter to hang down a little.

Marc
Marc3.71994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 06:42 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

it's been two weeks and the noise is still there... there's like a clink or clank sound when shifting into gears is this normal? is this damaging the transmission in any way?

Old 12-29-2014, 10:18 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
it's been two weeks and the noise is still there... there's like a clink or clank sound when shifting into gears is this normal? is this damaging the transmission in any way?

Give it somemore time it will get better.
Old 12-29-2014, 11:17 PM   #18
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigshow14 View Post
Give it somemore time it will get better.
Are you saying this noise is common? I have a Barton shifter and bracket and I don't and didn't notice any kind of noise. This is a great set up BTW.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 11:40 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal Stangman View Post
Are you saying this noise is common? I have a Barton shifter and bracket and I don't and didn't notice any kind of noise. This is a great set up BTW.
Yea from what ive read on this site and some product reviews. My shifter was alot louder when I first installed my bracket. Its no longer noisy after a few months of service. Great mod and a must for the mt82 crew. I have the orginal Barton bracket the two post may be quieter.
Old 12-30-2014, 02:24 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
I think im going to go with the Barton bracket once Ive finished the engine mods.
Fintile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 01:33 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

hey guys quick ? w the shifter and bracket... I've already describes the notchyness and roughness is it true that because of this the transmission can get messed up?

Old 01-31-2015, 06:07 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Welcome to the world of SR shifter problems lol. I'd take out that POS and get rid of it as soon as I can. I would have if i didnt trade my 3.7 for v8. It came to a point where shifts got super notchy, and I was getting locked out of gear 2 and/or 3.. And I wasn't over 5000 rpms! You're better off using your stock shifter with just a bracket, or save up and get a MGW.
Old 01-31-2015, 07:13 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

u
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazinga11 View Post
Welcome to the world of SR shifter problems lol. I'd take out that POS and get rid of it as soon as I can. I would have if i didnt trade my 3.7 for v8. It came to a point where shifts got super notchy, and I was getting locked out of gear 2 and/or 3.. And I wasn't over 5000 rpms! You're better off using your stock shifter with just a bracket, or save up and get a MGW.
i think I've already accustomed myself to it... my gripe is is it really going to damage the synchros or what? most of the time I shift okay...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang