Auto to Manual Swap- Looking for a manual transmission for 2013 v6 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-23-2014, 12:58 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
Auto to Manual Swap- Looking for a manual transmission for 2013 v6

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and I own a white 2013 3.7L. Recently I have started to really hate my car not being a stick and most people say to just trade it in because they expect the swap would be super expensive but it wont be possible to trade it in because of putting money into mine already and it really just not being worth it. I talked to 3.7Cyclone today about his Auto to Manual swap and have gained a lot of confidence in the whole process after seeing his project and talking to him about it. If anyone is looking to do a Manual to Auto swap (trade with me) or is looking to sell their Manual Trans, please DM me!

I really hope to start gathering the parts soon and get the install done when it starts to warm up!

If anyone has any info on the install or any info on getting the parts please contact me! Happy to be a part of the forum!

Thanks for any help!
Bdeysher21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2014, 02:08 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Check out eBay, tons of 3.7l engines and manual transmissions for our cars

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
3.7L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 02:29 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
If you're really going for a manual transmission, I would suggest you get tremec kit. For $4k it's pretty much a bolt on - double check for an auto car. You will be much happier with it in long run, than going with a MT82.
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2014, 09:27 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.7L View Post
Check out eBay, tons of 3.7l engines and manual transmissions for our cars

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
thanks man! I'll make sure to check them out!
Old 12-23-2014, 09:29 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazinga11 View Post
If you're really going for a manual transmission, I would suggest you get tremec kit. For $4k it's pretty much a bolt on - double check for an auto car. You will be much happier with it in long run, than going with a MT82.
I looked into that but it seems like the stock transmission would be much cheaper and I really don't have enough money to go with the tremec or I would
Old 12-23-2014, 09:59 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
I hope your IN LOVE with your car the way it looks. Seriously its a ***** to do any kind of swap even if it is simple. Once you do it, your stuck with it for life as you will never be able to sell it or trade it unless you go through the painstakingly ****ty process of registering it with your DMV. I did it once on a car and NEVER again,,,it wasnt hard just a PITA...
Fintile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 10:26 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
The MT82 is a steaming pile of crap. Mine has less than 20,000 miles on it and is absolutely without question the worst manual transmission that I have ever driven. It grinds, pops out of gear, has lockout issues and thunks like it just crushed a rock when cold. Then you have the hydraulic issues with the clutch pedal..

If you want to swap the car to a manual and don't go with a Tremec, you're simply an idiot.

If you don't have the money, save up for it, it will absolutely be worth it in the end.
Old 12-23-2014, 11:25 AM   #8
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
If your car ain't highly modded (Like Cyclones) or you don't love working on cars I suggest you may want to reconsider and either live with what you have or trade and get a manual.

.02 worth of advice
Old 12-23-2014, 11:30 AM   #9
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
You say you put "a lot of money" into it. That can be different for each person. Want to give a little more info on that?

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 12:15 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
If your car ain't highly modded (Like Cyclones) or you don't love working on cars I suggest you may want to reconsider and either live with what you have or trade and get a manual.

.02 worth of advice
naw Mud...I'd have easily paid $100 for that before i spent $1000's on easily avoided unnecessary modifications.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
You say you put "a lot of money" into it. That can be different for each person. Want to give a little more info on that?

+1
Old 12-23-2014, 12:31 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish416 View Post
The MT82 is a steaming pile of crap. Mine has less than 20,000 miles on it and is absolutely without question the worst manual transmission that I have ever driven. It grinds, pops out of gear, has lockout issues and thunks like it just crushed a rock when cold. Then you have the hydraulic issues with the clutch pedal..

If you want to swap the car to a manual and don't go with a Tremec, you're simply an idiot.

If you don't have the money, save up for it, it will absolutely be worth it in the end.
Just curious have you changed your bracket. My trans did the same( but never popped out of gear ) until I installed the Barton one piece bracket. 18k on it since the install and besides being a lil noisey for about 6 weeks its the best $50 you can spend. I posted a video on youtube driving around two finger shifting. I am no longer a MT82 hater. Maybe down the road I might eat my words but for now its all good.
Bigshow14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 12:38 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigshow14 View Post
Just curious have you changed your bracket. My trans did the same( but never popped out of gear ) until I installed the Barton one piece bracket. 18k on it since the install and besides being a lil noisey for about 6 weeks its the best $50 you can spend. I posted a video on youtube driving around two finger shifting. I am no longer a MT82 hater. Maybe down the road I might eat my words but for now its all good.
+1, the barton shifter bracket was a great investment for me. Other than the mt-82 being a little noisy I have none of the above problems mentioned in the previous post. 22k

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 12:44 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
+1, the barton shifter bracket was a great investment for me. Other than the mt-82 being a little noisy I have none of the above problems mentioned in the previous post. 22k

22.657k on mine lol
Old 12-23-2014, 12:49 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post

The MT-82 isn't as bad on it own, but 'combined' with stock shifter and crapy bracket -it's one big piece of shiet! At least this is what I have learned during my experience here on ME. Too much tranny movement if you're really pushing it. As I mentioned in another thread, put a MGW race spec/any other short shifter with 2 peice shifter bracket and blowfish thing right when you buy your car- I'm more than certain we wouldn't be saying so many problems we are in present day.

Bigshows example with just a bracket pretty much replicates what I'm saying.

Quote:
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 01:07 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
How does the Barton bracket differ from the Blowfish?

And to the OP, there's some simple math here for you to do.

You can either sell off your mods separately and sell your car and buy a manual, or be patient about selling it and get a fair amount for your car. Figure in what you'd pay to do the swap (and don't forget to factor in that you will have a very difficult time ever selling this car once you've done the swap).

Having done a lot of wacky sh*t with cars over the years I can tell you that in the end the money difference will either be negligible or actually favourable to just buying a manual.

These kinds of swaps are great with cars that are at the bottom of their resale. But you will be putting your car in the same category as the guys selling their **** with salvage titles if you ever go to sell it. I filter those out and don't even consider them when I'm car shopping.

I BARELY trust a car that I've done swaps on, I'm certainly not trusting a stranger to have done it right.
WordySanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 01:08 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post

well i'm only 17 years old and I love working on my car but being young it is hard to save up so much money and I have spent almost all of the money I have saved up and pretty much everything I get for birthdays and christmas and **** like that go towards my car as well considering it makes me happier than anything else I could spend it on.

Just to give you guys an idea of the mods I have done since I am new to the forum,
-about $2,000 for rims and tires when i first got the car
-$700 on ford racing sport axle backs
-$700 for Airaid CAI and BAMA X4 Tuner
-like $300 for my gt/cs spoiler
-$210 for my Roush Upper Grille
-$280 for my Lower Grille Delete
-$190 for the Roush Front Chin Splitter
-close to $1000 for the 3.73 gears, kit, and install prices (only thing I havnt done myself)
-raxiom GPS (won at the AM show last year with the raffle)
-$300 for speakers and amp
- $200 for iluminated door sills
-and then a couple a hundred for the marker tints, window tint, and mirror covers and other small stuff

Really don't think its worth it to trade the car in so i might just have to stick with the auto sadly
Old 12-23-2014, 01:24 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdeysher21 View Post
well i'm only 17 years old and I love working on my car but being young it is hard to save up so much money and I have spent almost all of the money I have saved up and pretty much everything I get for birthdays and christmas and **** like that go towards my car as well considering it makes me happier than anything else I could spend it on.

Just to give you guys an idea of the mods I have done since I am new to the forum,
-about $2,000 for rims and tires when i first got the car
-$700 on ford racing sport axle backs
-$700 for Airaid CAI and BAMA X4 Tuner
-like $300 for my gt/cs spoiler
-$210 for my Roush Upper Grille
-$280 for my Lower Grille Delete
-$190 for the Roush Front Chin Splitter
-close to $1000 for the 3.73 gears, kit, and install prices (only thing I havnt done myself)
-raxiom GPS (won at the AM show last year with the raffle)
-$300 for speakers and amp
- $200 for iluminated door sills
-and then a couple a hundred for the marker tints, window tint, and mirror covers and other small stuff

Really don't think its worth it to trade the car in so i might just have to stick with the auto sadly
Don't be sad I went for the cheapest car I could find when I was stang shopping is why i have the manual. Get your transmission tuned and have fun with it the auto can be faster with a proper tune
Old 12-23-2014, 01:51 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Don't be sad I went for the cheapest car I could find when I was stang shopping is why i have the manual. Get your transmission tuned and have fun with it the auto can be faster with a proper tune
Agreed. Dude your young...you have many years to explore and tune and get that ONE car you always want. First car? **** if it is im sure many can agree to have this EVEn as an auto is far better than some of the first cars some of us have had...**** i would have KILLED for a 300 hp car at 17 even if it was an auto...SADLY I had a whooping 105 hp as my true first car....lol learn the ropes, get some experience under the hood and in a couple years trade it in or whatever....but above else enjoy what you DO have instead of what you DONT.
Old 12-23-2014, 01:58 PM   #19
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
BD, Nice ride.....I will say most of that will unbolt, however you will then have depreciation unless you find the right private party to swap with. I will suggest putting out feelers for a trade if you find someone within driving distance it's worth a look and at least you get a drive and meet a fellow Stang lover (or homicidal maniac).

my first car was a 20 year old Volvo that had taken down a telephone pole...I loved even that POS. You always remember your first
Old 12-23-2014, 02:04 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazinga11 View Post
The MT-82 isn't as bad on it own, but 'combined' with stock shifter and crapy bracket -it's one big piece of shiet! At least this is what I have learned during my experience here on ME. Too much tranny movement if you're really pushing it. As I mentioned in another thread, put a MGW race spec/any other short shifter with 2 peice shifter bracket and blowfish thing right when you buy your car- I'm more than certain we wouldn't be saying so many problems we are in present day.

Bigshows example with just a bracket pretty much replicates what I'm saying.
Actually the stock shifter really isn't all that bad when you replace the god awful shifter bracket. Its really just the oem shifter bracket that causes most of the common problems with our mt-82. I've been eyeing the MGW for a while but I'm pretty good with the stock shifter paired with a good bracket. The blowfish is overkill IMO for a dd.

FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 02:05 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

My first vehicle was an 1970 chevy c-10 pick up yes was restored but had a straight 6 with a 3-speed on the column, no ac, radio, power steering, or power brakes, but had 3.73's lol. Try driving that on a humid rainey day.
Old 12-23-2014, 02:52 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
My first vehicle was an 1970 chevy c-10 pick up yes was restored but had a straight 6 with a 3-speed on the column, no ac, radio, power steering, or power brakes, but had 3.73's lol. Try driving that on a humid rainey day.
before i got the Hyndai i had a Ford Ranger i was using...same thing, no AC or power steering and i was in hawaii to boot. Not a fun summer working thats for sure...
Old 12-23-2014, 05:17 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintile View Post
Agreed. Dude your young...you have many years to explore and tune and get that ONE car you always want. First car? **** if it is im sure many can agree to have this EVEn as an auto is far better than some of the first cars some of us have had...**** i would have KILLED for a 300 hp car at 17 even if it was an auto...SADLY I had a whooping 105 hp as my true first car....lol learn the ropes, get some experience under the hood and in a couple years trade it in or whatever....but above else enjoy what you DO have instead of what you DONT.
Yeah I realize how lucky I am to have the stang as my first car and I know i'm gonna be hooked to cars for the rest of my life because of it haha And yeah I looked into the manual swap because of loving to do projects and installs to my car because of the feeling you get from making your own car faster or look better, plus i enjoy spending the time with my dad doing something we both love to do! The car is just great all around and I wouldn't mind taking on a big project like the manual swap but I realize its probably just not worth it and I'll stick with the manual.
Old 12-23-2014, 05:20 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Paddle Shifters?

Anybody know if its possible to set up paddle shifters and improve the shifting on the auto?

I saw a kit to put clamp on paddles on the wheel and it hooks up to the sport mode shifter which i think would be cool, but I would love if I could do that and also improve the shifting of the auto-manual aspect. It feels loose and decides when it wants to shift slow or fast, it would be sweet to have solid feeling shifts close to that of a real paddle shifting car. Not sure if this is possible but would be real cool and a great fix to not having a full on manual.

Any info is appreciated!
Old 12-23-2014, 05:28 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
I've seen the kits, but its just going to hook into the same switch that the "sport shift" mode thing uses. Best thing for improving how your auto shifts is a good tune.

ALso, not that I am in anyway encouraging the OP to destroy the resale of his car, but 2012 Mustang GT 6 Speed Transmission
WordySanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 03:03 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

http://youtu.be/uJGJ6itW4Q8
Old 12-25-2014, 08:52 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Very nice. So uou just changed out the bracket...that's it?
Old 12-25-2014, 05:19 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintile View Post
Very nice. So uou just changed out the bracket...that's it?
Yes thats it, smooth shifting.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang