Manifold Porting Questions - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-24-2014, 06:49 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Manifold Porting Questions

So I finally got around to checking out these manifolds I have in my parents garage (being in an apartment really makes working on the cars difficult until I can get over to my parents house) and trying to work on a game plan for porting these manifolds.

Porting: I think the general consensus when porting is that it matters more to increase the efficiency of the flow, as opposed to strictly trying to increase the volume by hogging it out. This basically means i'll be trying to address the flow through all the transitions between the upper, lower, and cylinder head.

Upper: The upper seems to actually have a pretty good shape, and flow ... really doesn't look like theres much work to be done here. The only things I can see to address would basically just be smoothing out the casting lines, there's not really much material that can be removed before hitting the gaskets on the side so ... I guess that's that.

Lower: The lower is where I think the majority of the work is going to be done. The inlets are more of a square shape, but as you can see, it has a very rough transition into the oval shape of the cylinder head with a rapid expansion. In my very limited understanding of fluid dynamics this is bad. Basically a large and sudden increase in volume will lead to a decrease in velocity, a big problem for trying to make power. Basically, i'm going to attempt to smooth that transition and avoid any sudden expansions or harsh edges to maintain both flow and velocity.

Its my understanding that the weight and flow of the air favors the side of the runner opposite the injector bung, so its shape isn't as important. That being said, there is obviously a ton of material that can be shaped and/or removed there, so i'm going to look to address that spot as well.

Really that's all I can think of: Smooth casting in the upper, Smooth transition in the lower, Reshape injector bung. Also, this manifold is disgusting... I cant stress the importance of an OCC enough. At any rate though, any questions, comments, or concerns before I get started in the next few days are more than welcome. Thanks.

Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2014, 07:13 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Thank you for putting together such good threads
sledge42hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 07:20 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Haha well thank you, but I'll be the first to say I really am not sure how to approach this and was hoping someone would have some input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2014, 07:52 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Your too smart man. What school did you go to jesus... Props for your knowledge homie

Naturally Aspirated Is Lyfe
Laquisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 08:43 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I actually have an accounting degree -_- regret every day not sticking with mechanical engineering. It pays the bills though, so I can't complain I work contract though, so slow periods allow me lots of time to research and let my mind wonder with ideas like this.
Old 12-25-2014, 08:19 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
What does OCC stand for?
ridge_runner91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 12:23 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Oil Catch Can. Since the Intake manifold places vacuum on the crankcase, you basically want something in the middle of that line for the oil to separate out into to prevent gunk and sludge from making its way back into your engine.
Old 12-25-2014, 01:32 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
There are edges and overlaps of the upper and lower when mated together, get those to match up when mated together. Smooth out transitions. Also the 11-12 and 13-14 are slightly different as far as the angle of the port into the cylinder head.

If you wanted to take it one step further you could take out the 2 casting supports that run through the middle of the upper manifold and fill those squares in with aluminum and epoxy. Adds a considerable amount of work, time and money for proper industrial strength epoxy though.

Lonewolf doesn't do the plus method as I call it. There is 3 of us that have them that way. I used different type of epoxy then the other 2 that were done. One of them had contacted me about possibly redoing his because the type of epoxy they used was cracking. Mine have been perfect so far.
SouthernCyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 09:02 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Hmmm, probably above a first timer like me, i think i'll just stick to the basics haha. Going to have to try to figure out a way to see where things overlap when putting the upper and lower together though. A trick i saw a gunsmith use once was putting some ink on the "female" end of a piece, and placing the "male" piece in and seeing where contact was being made by checking for the ink transfer.
Old 12-26-2014, 08:42 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
Hmmm, probably above a first timer like me, i think i'll just stick to the basics haha. Going to have to try to figure out a way to see where things overlap when putting the upper and lower together though. A trick i saw a gunsmith use once was putting some ink on the "female" end of a piece, and placing the "male" piece in and seeing where contact was being made by checking for the ink transfer.
That's basically what dykem is for machinist. Blue lay out dye that takes a long time to dry that lines can be drawn on..
SouthernCyclone is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang