Tuned to 93 octane - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-24-2014, 07:59 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via Yahoo to roushMarlon831
Tuned to 93 octane

So when tuned to 93 octane does it necessary mean I have to pump 93 octane into it?
roushMarlon831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2014, 08:01 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Yes

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 08:03 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Only reason why I ask is because a friend of mine owns a cobra and he just pumps 91 octane cause that's as high as it gets here in California at a normal gas station and he says since it's tuned to 93 the computer reads it as 93?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2014, 08:04 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

If your 93 octane tuned, feel free to put 87 in, just don't expect your car to work. 😄

Naturally Aspirated Is Lyfe
Laquisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 09:00 PM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
You can always go higher but not lower on the octane. If you go lower octane than you are tuned for you will have detonation (pinging) and that is a killer of pistons.

Your friend is lucky, or he has a different tune for California.

The newer cars (2011+) will read and adjust for the octane using knock sensors. His cobra doesn't have that (unless you are saying "cobra" but mean the 2011+ GT500 which is not a cobra)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 10:05 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by roushmarlon831 View Post
so when tuned to 93 octane does it necessary mean i have to pump 93 octane into it?
oh yes, 93 octane you must use. 😎
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 11:53 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I meant the 2004 cobra. But yea I see now his car must be different since it's an older model with less technology
Old 12-25-2014, 07:24 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mexico
I would like to know why you have to put 93 into a 93 only tune. If the knock sensors are working like they should, the timing and cams should adjust accordingly if running 87. Otherwise the tune would not be safe for the engine at all if knock sensor adjustment sensitivities were altered in some way.
2014SGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 07:33 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014SGM View Post
I would like to know why you have to put 93 into a 93 only tune. If the knock sensors are working like they should, the timing and cams should adjust accordingly if running 87. Otherwise the tune would not be safe for the engine at all if knock sensor adjustment sensitivities were altered in some way.
EXACTLY!
Read up on your engine here
Ford Mustang 3.7L V6 Engine Explained | A 3.7L V6 Mustang Owner Resource for Modifications and Repairs
BrewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 08:32 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Gas is cheap enough now so just fill it up with 93
Old 12-25-2014, 09:04 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewGuy View Post
After reading that article what comes to mind is...
Does an after market tune have any impact on the ECU's original program of adaptive-knock spark control?
Then you have the GT that recommends 91 octane (unleaded 87 octane minimum)
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 09:12 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014SGM View Post
If you want your car to run right and not jacked up, put the correct minimal grade of fuel that is for the tune. If you have a 93 tune , put at least 93 octane in. Only if you want your car to run properly, if not carry on with 87.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 09:15 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

If you "let" the computer pull timing because of knock, you're missing a very important point; Its still knocking. If the car is tuned for 93, it should be running 93, trying let the computer "dumb itself down" is not at all a good idea.
Voltwings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 09:20 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
If you "let" the computer pull timing because of knock, you're missing a very important point; Its still knocking. If the car is tuned for 93, it should be running 93, trying let the computer "dumb itself down" is not at all a good idea.
This. You're playing hide n seek if using 87/91 gas on a car tuned for 93. Not worth 5-7 bucks you will save per tank
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 09:55 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
The computer is designed to protect the engine. There are many factors causing detonation. Just because someone runs 93 doesn't mean the engine won't get knock. Some tuners were letting the engine knock more times before pulling timing and damage may have been occurring, like overheating the number 8 piston. So dumbing down (adjusting cam timing, lobe center, spark, a/f ratio) is what the computer does in all scenarios.

I am not trying to sell the idea to run 87 during the week and filling the tank with 93 to hit the drag strip or road course but my point is any tuner should not disable the safety measures built into the system in order to gain a horsepower or two.

I'd really like to hear from a tuner on this to see what they say.
2014SGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 10:07 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Umm me lol ... i tune, its a stupid idea. There's threshold knock tables where the ECU will look to add timing to make power until it detects knock, and then it will back off. However, if you're starting out with octane the tune was never meant for, the computer is already starting at a significant disadvantage.

Secondly, if the computer is adding timing to make more power, it has a better idea of the combustion process currently happening, and can back timing off more easily / readily, and in a controlled manner. There's knock threshold tables dictating: How many degrees to pull based on a knock event, how quickly to pull it, how much to richen the AFR... Most of the times when actual knock is detected, the computer will pul 2-3 more degrees (this can be adjusted by the tuner) than the knock event dictates. For example, if there were 1* of knock, the computer is pulling 3-4* to be safe, i've even set some tunes as aggressive as 2x the knock event depending on conditions. On the contrary, when the computer is adding timing to make power and detects knock, if just backs off to where it previously was instead of pulling massive amounts

There's so much more to the tune than just the "safety" features you're mentioning. They're not a method of tuning, they are a method of doing just that; keeping the engine alive. They will completely neuter timing, dump fuel in to cool the cylinder, and otherwise kill performance. There is no way a tune set up for 93 is going to be happy on anything but. No tuner is "disabling" any safety nets. Those safety nets just operate on a range, and how wide that range is set is what determines their effectiveness.

For example, i work on a lot of boosted cars, and i cant tell you how many amateur mistakes i have seen fixing other peoples tunes when it comes to those ranges. I had a guy come to me once with a car that should have been running 40 psi wide open and was struggling to hit 25 ... The wastegate table was completely maxed out at 100%, the boost by gear tables were completely maxed out at 200% (making the effective wastegate duty cycle 200%) ... the issue was the "tuner" did not adjust the throttle close table, the table in charge of overboost; that was still set at 24 psi. They were running this turbo wide open against a closed throttle, its a miracle nothing blew up. Classic example of a car working outside the effective window of a safety net.
Old 12-26-2014, 05:50 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
In the article I pointed at with my link. I took the following paragraph to mean that it would be safe for me to, switch to 93 octane without a tune to gain a few more HP, without doing any damage to my engine. Am I correct?

Finally, the V-6 Mustang gets dual exhaust! What this means in performance terms is that, if the owner uses premium or race gas on weekends, the engine should make considerably more power and torque than the numbers quoted here, which are the product of standard SAE dynamometer laboratory testing procedures and not real-world driving. - See more at: Ford Mustang 3.7L V6 Engine Explained | A 3.7L V6 Mustang Owner Resource for Modifications and Repairs
BrewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 06:07 AM   #18
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewGuy View Post
In the article I pointed at with my link. I took the following paragraph to mean that it would be safe for me to, switch to 93 octane without a tune to gain a few more HP, without doing any damage to my engine. Am I correct?

Finally, the V-6 Mustang gets dual exhaust! What this means in performance terms is that, if the owner uses premium or race gas on weekends, the engine should make considerably more power and torque than the numbers quoted here, which are the product of standard SAE dynamometer laboratory testing procedures and not real-world driving. - See more at: Ford Mustang 3.7L V6 Engine Explained | A 3.7L V6 Mustang Owner Resource for Modifications and Repairs
You can always run higher octane than you are tuned for.

And the 3.7, like the 5.0, will adjust for the higher octane and get you a little more power. Not as much as a tune, but it will adjust.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 09:04 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

There is a threshold the computer is allowed to add timing, it will not indefinitely add timing due to high octane. That being said, running higher octane (93+) even on a stock tune will more more power than <93 octane.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang