Looking to supercharge my 2014 v6 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-24-2014, 11:31 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Looking to supercharge my 2014 v6

Basically im in high school so i couldnt afford a v8 and had to settle on a used v6. Ive come across a bit of cash recently and want to supercharge it. I know procharger makes a tuner kit which doesnt include injectors or a tune. Where/how would i get this. I dont have the mechanical knowledge yet to do this myself so i would need to have a shop do it. Does anyone know how much this may cost to have done or know anyone that has done this to a '14 model? Any info appreciated.
syndicate is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2014, 11:33 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
I'm sure you could find the injectors about anywhere online. And go to a reputable tuning shop or maybe someone could remotely tune it like Lund or vmp mpt.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
WhiteCali5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 11:41 PM   #3
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
In high school and had to settle on a 2014 Mustang? I would save the cash for college. You're probably looking at $6k for the whole setup installed and tuned, and that's a conservative number. Then there's the things you have to do so you can use the power like change suspension parts. You can buy the tuner kits from Procharger, but you can't buy the warranty with those kits, only the full install kit and only if it's at one of their certified shops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Holy crap bro. You're a genius." - 2011 Kona Blue
au01st is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2014, 11:41 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

oh ok cool thanks. would i need forged internals if i ran the 8psi boost from the procharger kit?
Old 12-24-2014, 11:42 PM   #5
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

No, forged internals are not required when running the stock 8psi setup.

Old 12-24-2014, 11:43 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Looking to supercharge my 2014 v6

Many people have had it done and there is a lot on here regarding adding forced induction to a v6. You will also need a one piece drive shaft as the two piece stock one is prone to fail with that much hp.

I would guess a reputable shop would charge anywhere from 600-1500 hundred to install and tune. Just don't cheap out and cut corners or else it will cost you a lot more in the long run. If you have a shop do it and do the proper supporting mods I would say you will be in it 7500-10000 at a minimum.

StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 11:44 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

i have the cash right now because ive been saving for a while and the mustang only cost me 17k. i wont need the money for college because im going to a service academy (free). Does procharger or any other company make a FULL kit for the '14?
Old 12-25-2014, 01:39 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
It has been said so many times. Instead of pro charging it or super charging it just sell it and get a V8 because that is the cheapest route by far. It might be cool to spend a ton of money on your car but you should wait until you are out of school or at least out of high school and have a job to have some spending cash on your car. Also if you are not mechanically inclined then you are going to be spending a lot of money at the shop when you can be doing it yourself for a fraction of the price. Just my opinion.

Bama 91 Race tune, GT500 blue racing stripes with matching hash marks and side stripes, cold air intake, Flowmaster super 44s with Roush 4" Tips, CDC performance grille, side scoops, painted quarter windows, all lights tinted
Chaz12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 07:03 AM   #9
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndicate View Post
i have the cash right now because ive been saving for a while and the mustang only cost me 17k. i wont need the money for college because im going to a service academy (free). Does procharger or any other company make a FULL kit for the '14?

Ok, well that's different than saying you came across some money, which sounds like an unexpected windfall. If you have been saving for it then that's different. I would make every effort to pay off the car before s/c, but if that's done too, then go for it.

And college has expenses besides tuition: books, beer, and babes (the three B's). I know there's quite a few times where an extra $100 would have come in real handy.

Old 12-25-2014, 08:17 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by au01st View Post

And college has expenses besides tuition: books, beer, and babes (the three B's). I know there's quite a few times where an extra $100 would have come in real handy.

No no no
Besides books, it's R,R,R
Racecar, racecar, racecar

The real... boss 227
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 05:27 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Some people, can't get the v8 because insurance won't cover them, but a v6 is covered... Well atleast that's my case and the reason I won't to do something similar

Matts14fp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 06:14 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Bought a 2014 V6. Been there, done that.
If you plan on keeping the car forever/till the wheels fall off, a supercharger can be a good way to get V8 performance for less money than buying a V8.

- Provided you do the work, get a deal on the parts, and are handy with tools. $5-6K if you go this route. Closer to $7-8K for a typical first-timer having to use someone else's shop.

I'd keep the V6. Here's what to do to it:

- 3.73 gears if it doesn't already have it. 4.10s are actually past optimal for the V6 - 3.73 are where it's at if you have manual.
- Shifter bracket kit.
- One piece driveshaft.
note - this will increase the car's 0-60 to the almost same as the previous generation V8. Top speed if you disable the limiter will now be a bit over 150mph. (3.73 gears top out at about 150) Faster you don't need.

- Add fog lights if it doesn't have it.
- Add whatever aesthetic upgrades you want. Side louvers and a spoiler are a good low-cost start.

Total would be around $2K. The car will be noticeably faster and drive better as well.

Note - if it's about people giving you "it's not a V8" grief, I'd just ignore it. I got 34mpg going from Los Angeles to Vegas this last weekend and flew up the 4000ft mountain passes. 5th gear, 5% grade, 70mph. A/C on and cruise control. Car didn't budge from the set speed. No worries about overheating, either. Just ate up the miles.

And I got plenty of double-takes from people in hybrids and mini-vans.

The V6 is perfectly fine after you fix the gears and shifter. More car than most people can handle at that.
JOberlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 07:32 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Honestly, with a supercharger i would not recommend a 3.73, that's going to be a lot of gear and the car might struggle for traction. Typically a longer gear, 3.31 or so, is more desirable for a boosted car with a broad powerband. My buddy had a S/c 3.7 with the 3.31 gear and it ran pretty good.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 07:59 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOberlander View Post
Bought a 2014 V6. Been there, done that.
If you plan on keeping the car forever/till the wheels fall off, a supercharger can be a good way to get V8 performance for less money than buying a V8.

- Provided you do the work, get a deal on the parts, and are handy with tools. $5-6K if you go this route. Closer to $7-8K for a typical first-timer having to use someone else's shop.

I'd keep the V6. Here's what to do to it:

- 3.73 gears if it doesn't already have it. 4.10s are actually past optimal for the V6 - 3.73 are where it's at if you have manual.
- Shifter bracket kit.
- One piece driveshaft.
note - this will increase the car's 0-60 to the almost same as the previous generation V8. Top speed if you disable the limiter will now be a bit over 150mph. (3.73 gears top out at about 150) Faster you don't need.

- Add fog lights if it doesn't have it.
- Add whatever aesthetic upgrades you want. Side louvers and a spoiler are a good low-cost start.

Total would be around $2K. The car will be noticeably faster and drive better as well.

Note - if it's about people giving you "it's not a V8" grief, I'd just ignore it. I got 34mpg going from Los Angeles to Vegas this last weekend and flew up the 4000ft mountain passes. 5th gear, 5% grade, 70mph. A/C on and cruise control. Car didn't budge from the set speed. No worries about overheating, either. Just ate up the miles.

And I got plenty of double-takes from people in hybrids and mini-vans.

The V6 is perfectly fine after you fix the gears and shifter. More car than most people can handle at that.

With 3.73s he'd be able to take down stock 4.6 gt's

I gave my buddys 4.6 a run for its money, and he's got nearly 2 grand sank in bolt-ons and aftermarket parts
somedopebeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 08:54 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Low mileage 5.0's are getting to be dirt cheap right now and the gap between a V6 and GT is shrinking. Example:

2013 Ford Mustang for sale in Red Springs - 1ZVBP8CF8D5223234 - Baker Chevrolet

http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/de...2876/overview/

http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/de...8381/overview/

http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/de...5384/overview/

http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/de...8745/overview/
605 RWHP on a safe tune
scott9050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 01:16 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
Honestly, with a supercharger i would not recommend a 3.73, that's going to be a lot of gear and the car might struggle for traction. Typically a longer gear, 3.31 or so, is more desirable for a boosted car with a broad powerband. My buddy had a S/c 3.7 with the 3.31 gear and it ran pretty good.
The 3.73 would be if he doesn't get the supercharger. The idea with the V6 is to spend as little as possible and get a nice and quick car. There are three things wrong with the V6:

1: The 2.73 gears. Too tall to get any performance out of.

2: The rubbery shifter and getting locked out of a shift. Mine used to lock me out of 5th gear as little as half throttle. Amazingly annoying. A bit less than $350 fixed that. (Blowfish Racing kit - also doubles as a drive shaft loop)

3: The silly low speed limiter and two-piece driveshaft.

#3 isn't an issue if you never plan to race it. The other two are straightforward mods.
JOberlander is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang