Breaking in your car: Drive it like grandma or Mario Andretti? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-25-2014, 06:46 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Breaking in your car: Drive it like grandma or Mario Andretti?

Saw this article while searching for another that is similar. What do you guys think?
New Car Care – How to Take Care of a New Car - Popular Mechanics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2014, 06:53 PM   #2
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Andretti

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 06:57 PM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Break it in like you are going to use it in my opinion

05 Gt Premium Performance White, flowmaster outlaws, Jlt Series 3, Bama 91r tune
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2014, 07:22 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Something I never under stood is these mythical break in methods. The only thing that really "breaks in" is the rings and cylinder walls. And even then new engines are built to tight consistent clearances unlike an old engine getting honed and re-ringed.
My 0.02
sledge42hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 07:29 PM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

Line lock burnout leaving the dealership lot

05 Gt Premium Performance White, flowmaster outlaws, Jlt Series 3, Bama 91r tune
Old 12-25-2014, 07:38 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Drive it like you stole it

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Matts14fp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 08:36 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
+1 to all of the above lol

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Bigshow14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 08:56 PM   #8
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Buy used. Then the breaking in is already done!

"Holy crap bro. You're a genius." - 2011 Kona Blue
au01st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 08:57 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I know plenty of shops that will start a built motor and let it idle for 3-5 minutes, flush the oil, then it goes on the dyno for tuning. My last built motor got oil changes ever 200 miles for ~1200 miles before i stopped seeing "pearl" in the oil filter. I'm probably a lot more anal and OCD than most, but i don't want to be running my engine hard with all that break in material in the oil.

I use a healthy dose of engine breaking, lots of rev variation (not constant cruising) and dont really even apply half throttle until ~500-700 miles or so. Figured i just spent a LOT of money on this built motor, i'm going to make sure its broken in real nice before i start hounding it. Typically not a bad idea to do a compression and leak down test to really test "break in" but again i digress, i am probably overly anal about it.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 09:00 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I broke my Built motor in with a clutch drop leaving the shop.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 09:08 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
I broke my Built motor in with a clutch drop leaving the shop.

I like your method...
Old 12-25-2014, 10:12 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I say drive it the way you intend to for the duration of your ownership, so r me it was the occasional pull and regular driving break in. Not running it too hard but not going grandma.

SR Performance CAI, Diablosport Intune bama tuner, Roush Axleback, Matte black rocker stripes.
Quack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 10:42 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I did roughly the same. Brought the rpms closer to 5k but never really went to redline to often. Very spirited driving though.
Old 12-26-2014, 12:14 AM   #14
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
I've heard both sides and they both have valid arguments.

Personally, I drive it like I'm being chased.
Old 12-26-2014, 01:05 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
When you get it then it should be able to stand punishment forget that break in period drive it like a track star. How else would you find out if it's build stout enough to withstand your right foot?
Old 12-26-2014, 01:31 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

See, I agree with the "drive it like you stole it" type of new car driving. I feel you are wasting time and warranty millage putting around and babying it. Just drive it. If it breaks on you, its a brand new car, you have a warranty and it WILL get fixed.
Fintile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 03:44 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
I usually follow the 1000 mile rule. No cruise control, no WOT, easy on the clutch/brakes/transmission, lots of engine braking(like find a mountain highway and do the down hill at like 4k RPM on and off the gas). Then at 1000 miles, change the oil, again at 2500 and again at 5k. Then every 5k from there.
Wysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 06:03 PM   #18
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
It depends on how stupid you are

If your not stupid you need to take it a little easy for the first thousand miles.
Do not run a steady speed. run it up and back it off.
All of the moving parts in the engine, Transmission and rear differential need to be seated in.
Don't floor it, don't idle it for a long time if you can help it.

I'm sure most of these people telling you to run the crap out of it did not do it to their car when it was new.

A little common sense goes a long way.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 06:12 PM   #19
Registered Member

Regular

If driving a 35-40k dollar car hard off of the lot breaks it then we shouldn't even but new cars

Old 12-26-2014, 06:20 PM   #20
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I'm sure it won't break anything

The thing is:
If your going to be keeping the car for a long time, Do you want it to start burning oil at 25,000 miles or 200,000 miles? How about the transmission, Do you like it noisy?
A rear that starts making noise to soon sure is annoying.
How about lower compression at an early age.

I'm guessing you never read the owners manual.

THIS IS WHY I WILL NEVER EVER BUY A USED CAR.

Ronnie
Old 12-26-2014, 06:27 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Like I said I broke my built motor in with a clutch drop and 4 gears WOT. Leaving the shop.

Every car we have built also has been broken in the same way. From thr 383 nitrous firebird to the 1 400hp fox to the 600 cubic inch truck with more nitrous then you can think.

Break it in the way you intend to drive it

Old 12-26-2014, 06:55 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Like I said I broke my built motor in with a clutch drop and 4 gears WOT. Leaving the shop.

Every car we have built also has been broken in the same way. From thr 383 nitrous firebird to the 1 400hp fox to the 600 cubic inch truck with more nitrous then you can think.

Break it in the way you intend to drive it

+1, My brother a mechanic of 30 years says newer cars are fine to drive off the lot and no need to baby them for x amount of kms, that being said I still didn't drive mine hard for the first few hundred kms but I was learning stick at the time lol. My next stang I'm going to light the tires up leaving the dealership lol. I say Andretti that *****.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 08:27 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

I don't know about you but when I test drive I also drive it the way I intend to drive my car. A nice full throttle pull getting on the free way. A sharper stomp on the brakes. When I bought it, it had 64 miles on it. I'm 100% sure it was driven a few times in a likely manor as I'm sure some of your cars might have been teat driven by others prior to you buying it.
Old 12-27-2014, 06:03 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
I drive mine hard from the get go. That's the way it should be broken in.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 09:08 AM   #25
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Like I always said !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:

Ronnie
Old 12-27-2014, 09:25 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post

Ronnie
Did you buy your car with less than 5 miles on it or request a model that has never been driven?

Also too, the shop guys at dealerships LOVE to rip new cars around. I'm sure you already know this and try to get the vehicle with the lowest miles.
Your exactly the type of person i look for though when buying a used car lol
Old 12-27-2014, 09:53 AM   #27
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

My car had 12 miles on it when I bought it.

Don't act dumb. Getting on it a few times is not going to do anything. It is the constant flogging the car the first thousand miles or so that causes premature ware.

I guess you did not read your manual either.
Page 5 in my 2012 manual. It may be a different page in other years.
BIG BOLD LETTERS
BREAKING IN YOUR VEHICLE

Ronnie
Old 12-27-2014, 09:57 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Wow you read the manual
Old 12-27-2014, 10:04 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

He's SpEcIaL.

Old 12-27-2014, 10:49 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Lol
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 11:03 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

I'm still not sure if this is where i read about the HARD break in but it has a lot of the info i was talking about and remember reading:
Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power

Also here is a quote from someone post a counter to this method,
"I abhor opinions presented as fact. Everyone has an opinion, but that doesn't mean there is not THE truth somewhere underneath, independent of opinion. I wrote my thesis in physics on internal combustion engine design and I have been a mechanic building high-performance engines for 30 years.

This discussion about break-in has no empirical data to support what he is saying. Blanket statements such as the "number one cause" of this mechanical problem, or the "number two cause of engine problems is" are meaningless unless he can present test data and empirical data to support these statements, which he cannot and does not. The reason he does not is because the statements are false (ie his opinion, stated as fact).

The reason you want to run an engine softly for the first 600 miles is because of machining asperities (the microscopic "mountain ranges" on the surface of the metal). After a part is machined, the cutting process involved leaves the surface with microscopic peaks and valleys, creating a microscopically rough surface. The peaks of this surface happen to be GREATER IN HEIGHT THAN THE THICKNESS OF THE OIL FILM COVERING THEM. In English: the engine must be run with minimum load until these peaks are polished down, flat, and are no longer PROTRUDING THROUGH THE SURFACE OF THE OIL, as they are right after machining/manufacturing of the part. If you run the engine hard before this happens, you will press the parts together so hard that the oil film collapses and the peaks on one part will collide with the peaks on the mating part: Peak on part A will hit peak on part B, and given the adhesive properties of superheated metal, they will stick together. Once this happens, peak A breaks off of its original part and bonds to (melts onto) the mating part, and you now have scoring. Once scoring starts, it will continue to increase (more metal from one part sticks to the other part) until (a) enough metal migrates from one part to the other to cause a new smooth surface (albeit the wrong shaped surface; ie greatly reduced seal in the case of pistons and rings) or (b) the part suffers catastrophic failure (eg engine seizes, part cracks, etc.). If the engine is run softly, the parts polish each other, rather than score each other.

This explanation of break in is common text in ANY mechanical engineering text book, which is the book the engine designers read before they built the engine, and the text, in turn, is based on testing and empirical data that began back before the Wright Brothers.

Interestingly, the most prolific testing and proving of how to best build and break in a fresh engine came during World War II, for our bomber engines, where engine performance determined whether our nation would continue to exist. There is enormous test and research data supporting what I just told you regarding break in.

Run the motor at modest throttle settings and slow to medium rpm until 600 miles, and then change the oil and filter to get the polished metal out of the engine. "
Old 12-27-2014, 12:36 PM   #32
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Of course I'm special-- Ask my Mom !

Thanks Fintile for some good information.
Like I keep saying:
Quote:
Too many idiots buying new cars and not knowing or having the common sense to break them in properly. They drive their car for a year or two and the second owner is the one stuck with an oil burner or noisy rear. A worn out glazed clutch is because it was not properly used when the car was new.

At 600 or so miles the engine may be broken in but to be on the safe side you may want to go another 400 to be sure the transmission and rear gears are also smoothed out.

This wisdom is brought to you by a very special person that did read many manuals over the years.

Ronnie
Old 12-27-2014, 12:42 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
Thanks Fintile for some good information.
Like I keep saying:

Too many idiots buying new cars and not knowing or having the common sense to break them in properly. They drive their car for a year or two and the second owner is the one stuck with an oil burner or noisy rear. A worn out glazed clutch is because it was not properly used when the car was new.

At 600 or so miles the engine may be broken in but to be on the safe side you may want to go another 400 to be sure the transmission and rear gears are also smoothed out.

This wisdom is brought to you by a very special person that did read many manuals over the years.

Ronnie
Can't agree with this. We have no problems out of any of our cars that we have built. And we have turned around and sold the full drive train out of a few of the cars, and they are still running strong.

Old 12-27-2014, 12:43 PM   #34
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Breaking in your car: Dive it like grandma or Mario Andretti?

And then technology got better ^^

Yes a ways ago you did have to break cars in. But now technology has gotten so much better it eliminated the need.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 12:51 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Breaking in your car: Dive it like grandma or Mario Andretti?

Quote:
Can't agree with this. We have no problems out of any of our cars that we have built. And we have turned around and sold the full drive train out of a few of the cars, and they are still running strong.

+1, this (break in) is the OLD mentality.

And for god sakes Ronnie can you stop calling people names like idiots! Do you realise that you post some pretty ridiculous comments but no one calls you any names, you've basically called everyone idiots that drive their cars hard from the get go. In the end we are all just car enthusiasts that share our thoughts collectively. Just saying.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang