Longtube header questions - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-25-2014, 10:52 PM   #1

Region: Texas
Longtube header questions

Alright mustang fanatics I am on the fence about which header and midpipe to use. I am ordering the parts in a week. Ultimately I want max performance but I don't want my beautiful engine to sound like a ricer build (been there done that) I want a set up that will be performance based and sound deep and throaty not obnoxiously loud and annoying. I am torn between Mac or BBK longtubes I really plan on using long tubes only and swapping the midpipe as well. Most exhaust clips I've heard with the BBK is really loud and kinda "tinny". I can't find any clips with Mac long tubes and they are a very different design. Also I don't know to go with x or h pipe layout, and haven't decided on with or without cats (btw I live in Texas for what its worth) I'm gonna tune it either way so not real concerned with losing my warranty. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.
2014stang3.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2014, 12:11 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Ive read many great reviews on the Bbk setup, personally when im ready to by headers again the Macs will be the ones I go with. Ceramic of course
Bigshow14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 06:59 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Hello and here a good tip : BBK Lt off road x pipe and roush. Will make the car sound Amazing

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
blackout2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2014, 08:42 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Longtube header questions

If you're going for sound BBK is the way. Don't get fooled tho, BBK Products are **** when it comes to performance.

2013 Mustang GT JLT CAI, Flowmaster Catback, Bama Tune.
mooseruler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 10:26 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Macs will definately give you more hp over the bbk ones since they are slightly smaller pipping so you wont lose torque like the bbks do. Also the macs should sound deeper and an H pipe will give your car a deeper more muscle car tone compared to an x pipe which would be louder but will have that import tinny sound. I have the bbk long tubes with bbk catted x pipe it is loud but sounds like an import/tinny/raspy noise after 3,000 rpm. Eventually when i get new longtubes it will be either Mac Ceramic LT with a custom h pipe or ARH LT with their own catted H pipe.
AirRaid CAI, BBK Ceramic LT Headers, BBK Catted X Pipe, Borla ATAK, MPT 93/97 Tune, Steeda LCA's and UCA, Steeda Relocation Brackets, 373 gears, WaveTrac LSD, Dynotech Driveshaft. Prothane Motor Mounts, Whiteline adjustable panhard bar & brace.Ground Control Coilovers with Koni's custom valved. Coming soon Circle D 3800 Stall and Lone Wolf Intake Manifold.
willb2305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 11:12 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Why do you say the Macs will make significantly more power? Dont mean to sound like i'm calling you out, but typically "smaller = more power" is slightly counter intuitive.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 12:42 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I have BBK longtubes with the BBK catted x pipe. For a while I had this set up with Borla Ataks. but I swapped because it was too loud. Since you mentioned you are afraid of having your mustang sounding like a ricer, I will post a video of an exhaust clip for you. It depends more on what mufflers you will have rather than lontubes and xpipe vs. hpipe. Longtubes make the car a LOT louder and give the car a more throaty sound.
3.7L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 12:56 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Alright here you go. I made a quick little video comparing the OEM mufflers to the Borla ATAKs. I made it to show you how different your choice in mufflers will make the car sound.

http://youtu.be/wlAgI4iCd2Y
3.7L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 02:11 PM   #9
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
Why do you say the Macs will make significantly more power? Dont mean to sound like i'm calling you out, but typically "smaller = more power" is slightly counter intuitive.
The old myth that bigger is better when it comes to header design is just not true. It's actually better to be smaller than larger for a street car.
If I were to pick between BBK's 1-7/8" header and MAC's 1-5/8" header for this application (I'm not a V6 expert) I'd pick MAC's. Why, because it will make more low to mid range power/torque. Although smaller primary tubes will flow less than bigger primaries, a smaller pipe actually creates faster exhaust flow velocity with just enough resistance to promote good low and midrange torque. So, yes the 1-7/8 primaries on the BBK will flow more at higher RPM's, but will lose in the low to midrange because the flow is not enough to support the fast velocity.
I have built headers......as a hobby....for more than 40 years and have worked with Chris at SPD here Sacramento, CA and the late Bill Dawson in Los Angeles, CA to produce some amazing results with smaller diameter primaries in single length and stepped length type headers. The last motor I had on the engine dyno was a 408 Ford, pushing 650HP @ 6800rpm with 1-3/4" stepped to 1-7/8" primaries with a 13 degree 14" merge collector. We put some name brand 2" race headers on the motor and lost both HP and TQ.........................bigger is not always better, and on the street it is never more true than at the strip.
The primary tubes are a large part of the story, but the collectors are also very big part, and the merge type collector can make or break a header just as much as too big of primary tube can.IMHO
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 03:21 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackout2012 View Post
Hello and here a good tip : BBK Lt off road x pipe and roush. Will make the car sound Amazing

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Define amazing? Roush + off road x + LTS= terrible. Any loud exhaust set up needs balance. I'm a fan of a loud exhaust, I have Roush ABs, but LTS paired with a off road x needs a set of ABs to balance the ridiculous amount of rasp and dbs it will produce, which is definitely not Roush.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 03:24 PM   #11
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
Define amazing? Roush + off road x + LTS= terrible.

Pretty much as soon as the exhaust is modded from the manifold back the Roush go to crap

05 Gt Premium Performance White, flowmaster outlaws, Jlt Series 3, Bama 91r tune
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 03:30 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
Pretty much as soon as the exhaust is modded from the manifold back the Roush go to crap

05 Gt Premium Performance White, flowmaster outlaws, Jlt Series 3, Bama 91r tune
+1 exactly. Love my roush with bbk shorties, but if I change the mid pipe their as good as gone.

FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang