Mustang V6 vs. BMW e46 M3 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-25-2014, 11:27 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Mustang V6 vs. BMW e46 M3

Hey everyone. I currently have a 2014 mustang v6 with 5k miles on it. Im the second owner and the car is in perfect condition. Ive done some minor cosmetic mods to it (tinted windows, blacked out emblems, LED daytime running lights) as well as some performance ones (Superchips tune and K&N air filter). It came from the factory with the appearance package which included a spoiler, window louvres, and 19" rims. Im just not sure that it is the car for me after owning it for about 6 months now. Ive been looking around and found an e46 forum and the more i look at the cars the more i love them! Do you think i could find someone on anywhere that would be willing to trade me a decent e46 for a mustang? And if not, could i buy myself a nice one if i sold the mustang? Any suggestions, input, thoughts are greatly appreciated. thanks!

p.s. the mustang is auto
syndicate is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2014, 12:07 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
If you do trade for a bmw, be sure you still have factory warranty. I know first hand that those cars have lots of problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Villain175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 07:18 AM   #3
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
7 Reasons Why You Might Not Want To Own An E46 M3 (Part 1)

"Holy crap bro. You're a genius." - 2011 Kona Blue
au01st is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2014, 08:37 AM   #4
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
I hope you are wealthy

Any BMW is a nice car.
That is as long as the full bumper to bumper warranty is in effect. If the warranty is over and you need anything at all done just be prepared to "BEND OVER" because every single thing associated with BMW is very expensive.

I had a Mini Cooper "JOHN COOPER WORKS" that I loved but got rid of it when the warranty was over. They wanted $3,500 for two more years of warranty ( THAT SHOULD TELL YOU SOMETHING) The Mini is a BMW product.

Go to a BMW forum and maybe you will find someone willing to trade UP to a Mustang.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 08:46 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Might want to check the prices in your local area for a used M3 because the ones you could trade the Mustang for are 5 to 10 years old with a lot of miles.
Might want to get a good set of tools and the ability to use them or expect your wallet to be a lot lighter for just simple maintenance.
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 08:57 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
E46? wasnt the last year those were built in 2006...or was it 2007? Either way you are way past any warranty with those. Awesome cars. i love the look, but i too steered away from them due to the horror stories associated with them. Plus the aftermarket is so expensive!

What is Super Chips and did you go with them over Bama or MPT for your tune? That could be one of the reasons your not too happy with your Mustang. Just a thought.
Fintile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 09:28 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

A buddy of mine has a M3 - no doubt it's a pretty car, but BMW just doesn't manufacture a very quality product for anything below a 5 series. Plus you'll never get it to sound like anything more than a really pissed off mosquito. Also, not to be nitpicky but if you've got the FP6 like I do it comes with 18" wheels not 19". The performance package had the 19" wheels I think.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Dark_Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 10:37 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Mustang V6 vs. BMW e46 M3

Bmws are a pain In the butt to maintain. However, there is an extremely helpful community and a ton of guides available for when it does break (and it will). My dad drives an e46 330i performance pack and I've never driven a car that handles like that car does. I absolutely love it. With these cars it's well known that they break but typically they all break the same parts so if you are on top of it and do some preventative maintenance when you have the time and cash your car might be more reliable than someone else's.

Bmw does make a quality product the interior of my dads car is still an excellent place to sit even compared to some new cars today. He's owned the car for 13 years now and at 105k miles it still drives great there is only one rattle in the entire car. It gets good gas milage anywhere from 24-26 mpg freeway. Aside from the reliability issues that car has been perfect and If it was me I would buy it again

Brandneutral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 11:09 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Can't really compare the 2 cars because the BMW is at least double the cost of the mustang (assuming it's s premium if you take a base then it's more then 3 times the cost new for new). Nobody here can tell you what will make you happy so that's a decision you have to make.

With that said BMWs can be expensive to maintain IF something goes wrong so just be prepared for that if something breaks

StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 11:21 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarzTA17 View Post
Can't really compare the 2 cars because the BMW is at least double the cost of the mustang (assuming it's s premium if you take a base then it's more then 3 times the cost new for new). Nobody here can tell you what will make you happy so that's a decision you have to make.

With that said BMWs can be expensive to maintain IF something goes wrong so just be prepared for that if something breaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Pony View Post
A buddy of mine has a M3 - no doubt it's a pretty car, but BMW just doesn't manufacture a very quality product for anything below a 5 series. Plus you'll never get it to sound like anything more than a really pissed off mosquito. Also, not to be nitpicky but if you've got the FP6 like I do it comes with 18" wheels not 19". The performance package had the 19" wheels I think.

Just buy your parts on Ebay and install them yourself. Much cheeper.
Fintile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 01:02 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Go for what makes you happy if I could afford the tools, and parts I would consider a BMW to tote my family they are safe and deliver great performance. High end parts and labor drain the wallet and so many people buy them and fail to properly maintain them even cutting corners with cheap oil changes ect. When I worked for a quick lube I was often like why can't people buy the oil that meets OEM specs then realized they were for the most part living on credit and unable to afford the BMW they put the down payment on.
Old 12-26-2014, 02:29 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I was actually looking at an e46 before I went with the mustang, the one I was looking at had a bad tik in the engine, the guys at the dealer said that was a BMW tick, so I looked it up and those model BMW's have a common valve problem which when I looked it up at the only place that would fix it was going to cost 2000 dollars on parts alone. I also know a guy where his engine stopped because of that problem and it cost him 11000 dollars to fix, so it can be risky and will cost a lot if something breaks, but if your willing to take that risk get whatever makes you happy man.

G.H.I.G 2014 V6 Mustang
MMD Ducktail spoiler
Roush axle back exhaust
Black upper and lower retro billet grille
MMD 551c matte black rims
Eno07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 03:26 PM   #13
JDM
Registered Member
Regular

You asked for input, so I will give you my opinion. Keep your Mustang, unless you are prepared to do ALL the scheduled maitenance as recommended AND have the financial resources to do the maintenance.

2014 Deep Inpact Blue V6
JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 03:39 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
I considered an M3 before my stang, but if I was going to have a monthly car payment, I didn't want to have potential repair costs on top. So when I saw Ford offering 0% financing I just went brand new. Ended up being cheaper in the long run due to no interest, and no repair costs for the next 60k miles (3-4 years for me). I still wouldn't mind a beemer, but it just isn't a good financial decision in my situation.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
95Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 03:55 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I will say this the E46 is the best looking BMW body lines IMO.
Old 12-26-2014, 08:30 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
I paid 650 for a Alternator for my bmw 530 if that doesn't steer u away idk what will
Geok.91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 09:15 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I looked for an E46 M3 before buying the mustang. I love Bmws. The smg transmission on those cars can cause problems, but they solved them in smgII, as far as I know. I could not find a manual with low mileage and the maintenance would be a problem for me, so ended up buying a new mustang.Hopefully, in the future, I am gonna buy a e46 m3 csl, that car is a modern classic for me.
dibstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 09:21 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Them BMW'S are great looking cars but they are in a different class to begin with. Gonna have to mod your stang to get similar performance which is totally possible.

Sent from the Bathroom

1989 Sonic Blue LX Coupe, 349 ci, TW heads, TFS Track Heat Intake, 75mm Accufab TB, 80mm ProM, 30 lb. inj, TKO, 3.73, 31 spline w/ TruTrac, MAC 1-5/8" LT headers w/ H pipe, Flowmaster, electric fan Moates QH
391 rwhp & 424 rwtq...Mustang Dyno 11.5@122mph
smurf stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 09:05 AM   #19
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Volume 66 #5 Dec/Jan.2015 issue of ROAD & TRACK

Testing a group of cars for their "PERFORMANCE CAR OF THE YEAR" they drove the 2015 Mustang GT.
Page 75
Quote from Road & Track,
Quote:
The Mustangs steering is leagues better then traditional pony cars,
IT"S BMW steering, The kind you don't get in a BMW anymore.
They said more good things about the 2015 Mustang in the article.
A base M3 BMW is $62,950.
A base Stang GT is $32,925.

My opinion is you get a much better looking, more fun car for about $20,00 less money.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 09:48 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah those extra two cylinders make a difference in the pow wow. The GT and the M3 have been facing off for years and the GT usually wins at half the price.
Old 12-27-2014, 10:35 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
IMHO the 15 mustang is the car to go with over a used BMW. I have one and love it. I've never driven a BMW but an new car with was warranty vs a used one with high maintenance costs. Or a new one at about double the price. If you can afford it the BMW is probably a better car, but the 15's are pretty sweet cars.
BlueBellThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 10:51 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

I honestly had considered a 5 series when I was looking for a new car. I've heard just as much good as bad in relation to BMW. But, there were many things I had to consider. For one, I know how expensive maintenance is on imports. I've owned both Honda and Nissan and have suffered at the cost of regular maintenance - I even had a VW once but didn't want to pay $80 each oil change. Bottom line your choice is your own to make, but in my opinion your going to pay much more now and later for the same if not less level of performance and style. A mustang no matter what year or make is a classic example of American muscle.

Dark_Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 01:34 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
No you won't find anybody willing to trade, but you can buy a nice E46 M3 if you sell the Mustang. If you're patient, you should even be able to find one with lower mileage. The Cyclone Mustang compares surprisingly well with the E46 M3 on paper...Much like the Coyote Mustang and the E90 M3. However, it's not all cookies and cream. The BMW's strengths are.the Mustang's weaknesses, and vice versa, when comparing the Coyote Mustang to the E46 M3.. The BMW has great driving dynamics right out of the box, while the Mustang needs a few grand extra in upgrades to really get into thet same ballpark. On the other hand, the BMW will require several thousands extra in maintenance (probably some deferred in this age/price range), repairs (no warranty), fuel, and insurance. Ultimately the BMW will also hold its value significantly better as well, from this point forward.

So you can lose your money on upgrades and depreciation, or keeping the car on the road. Daily driven cars are not investmemts, but the BMW is still a real risk vs reward proposition. It has the potential to reduce your long term losses...But also has the potential to be a money pit that bleeds you dry. The question is, what is your risk tolerance when it comes to losing money?

You can follow my Ford based 'Locost' build at:
GarageOdyssey.blogspot.com
GarageOdyssey.tumblr.com
@GarageOdyssey (instagram and twitter)
Driven5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 02:55 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
I'm a huge BMW fan but there's no way I would trade a 2014 Mustang with only 5000 miles and the remaining factory warranty for a 10-year old import.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang