3.7 Cyclone to 4.0 Stroker - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-06-2015, 12:13 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarzTA17 View Post
Maybe I'm missing Something but I find it hard to believe going to a 4.0 from a 3.7 even with cams and heads is going to put out 380 at the wheels. I mean stock cars put in the 240-260 range depending on the dyno. I just don't see that much power increase out of a small engine without boost.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Don't forget you get to select compression ratio also. So you could probably go as high as 11:5.1 compression ratio, but you would have to run 93 octane or better gas only. So compression ratio bump plus full bolt ons I could see around 375whp.
SouthernCyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2015, 12:21 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Each point of compression is roughly worth 4% power increase (again, all else equal). Not too much in the grand scheme of things as seen in my previous post.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 01:04 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts14fp6 View Post
It shouldn't be hard to believe, with just bolt ons and a tune you can get to 315 na, so assuming you have the same bolt ons and this kit, 65hp increase isn't that hard to believe....

It's hard to go by dyno numbers since every dyno is different but from the bolt on cars I've seen I've seen anywhere from 290-320 rwhp from complete bolt ons but it seems most fall in the 290s or slightly over 300. Even with a .3 liter bump in displacement 60-80 hp from a cam is a lot especially with a low displacement engine. I mean a heads/ cam swap on a ls1 nets anywhere from 50-100 rwhp and it has a lot more displacement and that's with full bolt ons. Not saying Its not possible and im interested in the results but I just don't think it's that easy. And in the real world ricer math doesn't work as you can't add the hp of individual parts to get total hp it's all how they all work together.

And really all that's adding HP is the cams and the slight displacement as the build engine is more to allow it to take more abuse. It will probable really come down to the duration of the cams.

StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2015, 01:38 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Great thread...I am toying with the idea as well man. I keep asking myself and my tuner "FI or build" ?? That is the question.

But more importantly for me, can the 3.7 cyclone handle the pro charger ? Meaning...bottom end blows out after a while ? Other issues ? Other breakages...I love the idea of a pro charger but am I gonna **** out my motor after 6 months ?

grom80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 01:52 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by grom80 View Post
Great thread...I am toying with the idea as well man. I keep asking myself and my tuner "FI or build" ?? That is the question.

But more importantly for me, can the 3.7 cyclone handle the pro charger ? Meaning...bottom end blows out after a while ? Other issues ? Other breakages...I love the idea of a pro charger but am I gonna **** out my motor after 6 months ?

Maybe, but Glenn's car (very first procharged V6) is still running strong at 465rwhp.
Old 01-06-2015, 01:53 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

That's 100% dependent on how its tuned and how you drive. A 400 whp cyclone could blow up on the second pull with a bad tune or if you're flooring it from 2000 rpms in 5th gear or something, and a 700 whp cyclone could last 5 years if you never go over half throttle.
Old 01-06-2015, 06:42 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
That's 100% dependent on how its tuned and how you drive. A 400 whp cyclone could blow up on the second pull with a bad tune or if you're flooring it from 2000 rpms in 5th gear or something, and a 700 whp cyclone could last 5 years if you never go over half throttle.
Amen brother. You speak the truth. A well cared for procharged cyclone could last 200k miles. The pro charger kit isn't putting any stress on the motor under normal driving operations and not making boost until certain RPM's. There is not a load in the engine unless nailing it.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 01:57 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I'm currently looking around for a shop to possibly do this swap.
Considering 4.0 stroker, d1sc and nitrous. Not looking for a 5.0 if I do anything else it will be a 3.5eb swap. Have the money just need to figure it all out.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
fission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 04:19 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

If I remember right the ring lands are in the stock location on the stroker kit pistons. You might be better off using pistons with the ring lands designed thicker if your going both supercharger and nitrous.
SouthernCyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 07:15 AM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Haven't you seen killer 6 he has a stock block with forged internals and he's doing 600hp and 600tq plus a 200 shot of NOS he's been on it full bore for over a year now hope his car will last but check it out

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
2014_MCA_Vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 07:17 AM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Do the 3.7s only have forged rods? Is there any other forged parts stock on the 6?

2014_MCA_Vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 07:59 AM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014_MCA_Vert View Post
Haven't you seen killer 6 he has a stock block with forged internals and he's doing 600hp and 600tq plus a 200 shot of NOS he's been on it full bore for over a year now hope his car will last but check it out

You missed the point of my statement, that the tune matters more than the power you're making (to an extent). If a car is only making 400 whp but running an 18:1 AFR itll pop on the first pull you know. Lots of things to take into consideration.
Old 02-12-2015, 11:49 AM   #48
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:

Actually, he broke it just recently. I believe that he said he wasn't running the nitrous
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 12:09 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Actually, he broke it just recently. I believe that he said he wasn't running the nitrous
Did he pop the engine?
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 08:15 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Did he pop the engine?

If my memory serves me correctly, he blew his head gasket

---------- Post added at 08:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:14 PM ----------

Quote:

I think hes making close to 750 at the wheels actually
somedopebeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 12:38 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

I'll be installing the Stroker Kit soon!

I have a 2014 model and I'm going off to college soon. The Automotive major I'll be going into will eventually allow me to bring my own car in and work on it. I'm thinking about buying everything supersix has to offer like new cams, the intake manifold (which i haven't seen anyone use THAT yet, but i'll go for it), and the stroker kit, and a turbo later on down the road. If I remember, I'll let you know how it goes
jsalmon.17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 01:46 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
An all motor build is the exact opposite of an FI build... You basically have to pick a plan and stick with it ... It would be cool, but I just struggle to see the value in dropping the coin to just be "different." More power to you though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsalmon.17 View Post
if i want to, can i rebuild the motor and do forced induction? I'm trying to rebuild my engine so that it's more durable under forced induction. Is this not the way I should go? Should I just choose one or the other?
Dont take this the wrong way man, but if you're having to ask that question, you have a LOT more reading and understanding to do first.
Old 10-27-2015, 02:25 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Dont take this the wrong way man, but if you're having to ask that question, you have a LOT more reading and understanding to do first.
i mean, i'm just asking what would be safer. i already know a lot. i guess what i'm trying to ask is, how reliable is rebuilding my motor through supersix? if i do decide to turbo my cyclone after rebuilding it through supersix, would it be as well built as if i rebuilt it through someone else?
Old 10-27-2015, 02:54 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

ok, your first post was worded a little funky so i guess i misunderstood what you were asking.
Old 10-27-2015, 03:03 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I am so confused and I am not trying to be one of those ME smart A$$es.

Is the goal just HP or is it that you want a non-V8 fast car? I mean it seems like it has been said but the kind of money thrown around here it could be done easier and cheaper I owuld think. Now if the idea is to get the baddest NA V6 I totally get that too. Just curious, don't get me wrong I have nothing real to add there are more knowledgeable on here than I.
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 03:07 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
I would not do a stroker kit if i was going FI, at least not turbo. For one some stroker kits the skirts can drop too low in the cylinder and may require a taller deck and sleeves that prevent rocking the piston etc.. theres some blue printing involved.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk
16 Mustang Ecoboost Prem Fast Back | 2.3L | 3.55 gears | 201A Package | 20" Foundry Wheels P265/35R20 Continental DWS tires | Interior Trim package | Shaker Audio with SYNC 3 | Redline Elite Hood Struts | Mishimoto catch can | Mishimoto Intercooler(Black) | TS Vee port supersonic BOV | Tune+ tuning | Driveshaft Shop aluminum DS | Map big turbo kit | AEM Meth injection w/Mishimoto charge pipe and bung | http://www.youtube.com/user/eclypse3d
3.7Cyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 03:08 PM   #57
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterlingbeast5.0 View Post
I am so confused and I am not trying to be one of those ME smart A$$es.

Is the goal just HP or is it that you want a non-V8 fast car? I mean it seems like it has been said but the kind of money thrown around here it could be done easier and cheaper I owuld think. Now if the idea is to get the baddest NA V6 I totally get that too. Just curious, don't get me wrong I have nothing real to add there are more knowledgeable on here than I.
This is very true. Those forged kits plus a super/turbo charger is ALOT of money. Plus labor and a good tune? That is probably over half the cost of a 2011-2012 used 5.0 right there.
Old 10-27-2015, 03:24 PM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Don't know if he's still active...
But southerncyclone is doing the stroker...

I've got SSM Turbo cams and SS valves. Ported heads (not by SSM). Also have the valve springs from SSM...
Chose to get internals from MMR since SSM only offers forged pistons or the stroker kit.
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 03:27 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
By the time you build a full bolt on, stroked cyclone, you could have bought and built a decent Fox or Fbody, go-fast car and still have a nice DD Mustang.

Going for big NA power on this platform is a complete waste of resources.

That said, there is always that one person with more money than brain cells and they will do it...

and it could be awesome.
Old 10-27-2015, 04:04 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
ok, your first post was worded a little funky so i guess i misunderstood what you were asking.
yeah sorry the first one was a stupid question. I know you can rebuild and turbo. essentially you have to. But anyhow I'll be buying the stroker kit from supersix and i'll let everyone on this post know how it goes whenever I do
Old 10-27-2015, 04:07 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

I want a fast V6 that stands out from the rest, and I just want to be able to work on my own car. I want to, at a young age, know how an engine works, how to take one apart, and how to rebuild one. That's my goal with this you know? The Mustang right now technically isn't mine, so I have to wait all 3 years for the warranties to drop before the owner will let me work on it.
Old 10-27-2015, 04:08 PM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

What kind of ETA we looking at?
Old 10-27-2015, 04:10 PM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

honestly bro i'm not sure. depends on a lot of stuff. may be a year or two. right now at home i don't have the right tools to essentially perform open heart surgery on my engine and get down to the heads and pistons and stuff. But when i go off to college i'll have all the right materials and i'll do my best to update everyone
Old 10-27-2015, 04:14 PM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.7Cyclone View Post
I would not do a stroker kit if i was going FI, at least not turbo. For one some stroker kits the skirts can drop too low in the cylinder and may require a taller deck and sleeves that prevent rocking the piston etc.. theres some blue printing involved.

Theres a guy on the mazdaspeedforums actually Destroking from 2.3 to 1.9 right now. Going to be a high rpm, super high flowing screamer when he's done with it lol. Should be pretty neat, but everything you mentioned is all the stuff he's having to check with right now. Changing engine geometry is a lot more daunting than these "kits" lead you to believe.
Old 10-27-2015, 04:22 PM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

Yup

16 Mustang Ecoboost Prem Fast Back | 2.3L | 3.55 gears | 201A Package | 20" Foundry Wheels P265/35R20 Continental DWS tires | Interior Trim package | Shaker Audio with SYNC 3 | Redline Elite Hood Struts | Mishimoto catch can | Mishimoto Intercooler(Black) | TS Vee port supersonic BOV | Tune+ tuning | Driveshaft Shop aluminum DS | Map big turbo kit | AEM Meth injection w/Mishimoto charge pipe and bung | http://www.youtube.com/user/eclypse3d
Old 10-27-2015, 04:24 PM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

hey how did you get auto to manual? Eventually I'm gonna need a new transmission anyway but where did you get auto to manual, for how much, and what transmission did you get put in?
Old 10-27-2015, 04:32 PM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsalmon.17 View Post
hey how did you get auto to manual? Eventually I'm gonna need a new transmission anyway but where did you get auto to manual, for how much, and what transmission did you get put in?
That would be a long explanation, here is a link to my project page which I did complete btw successfully.

My 6R80 Auto to MT-82 Manual conversion project. *COMPLETED*!!! - Members Projects - FastFordMuscle.com
Old 10-27-2015, 05:03 PM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.7Cyclone View Post
That would be a long explanation, here is a link to my project page which I did complete btw successfully.

My 6R80 Auto to MT-82 Manual conversion project. *COMPLETED*!!! - Members Projects - FastFordMuscle.com
aight homie thanks
Old 10-27-2015, 05:14 PM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

Its a long read but i think worth it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang