3.7 Cyclone to 4.0 Stroker - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-27-2014, 04:23 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
3.7 Cyclone to 4.0 Stroker

Alright, ive done some google and evolution searches, no results, has anyone actually installed the Super Six 4.0 Stroker kit on their 3.7? Non Forced induction application. I'm considering the kit, along with ported heads and manifolds, the whole 9, I want to make maximum power, with NO FORCED INDUCTION. Just good ol gas guzzling Muscle from my V6. Just curious about longevity, results, and general opinion as well. I'm not buying a V8, so don't waste your breathe, and im more interested in an all NA and Forged build. I love my 6, and i don't dislike boost, but I'm trying to really build a Cyclone NA, and see what it can put out.
ThaDPartiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2014, 04:32 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Sounds cool for sure, I haven't stumbled onto an all out na build yet

05 Gt Premium Performance White, flowmaster outlaws, Jlt Series 3, Bama 91r tune
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 05:33 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
I'll keep the forum posted for anyone interested. I'm gonna do it either way, was just hoping someone had taken the first step. On the other hand, if I'm the line wolf, that wouldn't be bad either. One of a kind can't hurt rep right?
ThaDPartiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2014, 05:36 PM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
For sure keep us posted. I'm sure others may follow suit after you

05 Gt Premium Performance White, flowmaster outlaws, Jlt Series 3, Bama 91r tune
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 06:02 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I think most haven't taken the step because FI is the easiest route for hp, and with no previous results of this kit, makes people edgy to make the commitment to NA.

SR Performance CAI, Diablosport Intune bama tuner, Roush Axleback, Matte black rocker stripes.
Quack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 06:09 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Your not going to like this. But your going to spend alot to stay NA with a 3.7 and it will be a complete waste of money. A basic bolton 5.0 will still destroy you in power and quickness.

110% not worth to try and stay 100% NA

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 06:16 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I did the math on this a while back if someone cares to find the thread, but sadly he's right ^^ not really worth it. You're talking close to probably $10k said and done for maybe 380 whp, give or take.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 06:24 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
I did the math on this a while back if someone cares to find the thread, but sadly he's right ^^ not really worth it. You're talking close to probably $10k said and done for maybe 380 whp, give or take.

380whp for an all motor v6 is still pretty badass. I hope he goes for it! Im really intrigued to see how it turns out. Plus down the road if he does decide to change his mind and go FI the motor will be able to handle a ton of power.

OP, if you got the dough i say go for it.
somedopebeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 06:28 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I'm interested to see what it will do. I wouldn't do it myself because it's just too expensive and a procharger is only 5k. I would like to see what it can do though.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Villain175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 06:36 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by somedopebeats View Post
380whp for an all motor v6 is still pretty badass. I hope he goes for it! Im really intrigued to see how it turns out. Plus down the road if he does decide to change his mind and go FI the motor will be able to handle a ton of power.

Bone stock 5.0 puts out 377-380. Not worth it. Honestly just not worth it.

Old 12-27-2014, 06:39 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

But if it's truly what you want, then I say do it. But I bet you will change your mind halfway through

Old 12-27-2014, 08:45 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
It is worth it if the OP feels it is. At some point you have to put into perspective what it is worth to you. You know how many people told me not to swap my 6R80 for a manual, but you know what in my case trading in my car for a stick was not as fun.

I say the end result outweighs an opinion of worth if its worthwhile a project. If it actually came to this speculated total of 10K only nets 115HP at the wheels, that does not fully take into account that the motor will be essentially a forged build, capable of far more in the future. You would gain decent NA power and bragging rights, and in the off chance you wanted to go for more, its ready for it.

I say do what you want. Now the budget minded part of me agrees that its not a lot of bang for the buck by the numbers if you just want to go by those. But its safe power to be had without the worry of blowing up, and you could probably beat the snots out of it a bit more than you could if it was just boosted alone on stock internals so... I say go for it, and maybe put some a 75 shot of NOS on it =)
16 Mustang Ecoboost Prem Fast Back | 2.3L | 3.55 gears | 201A Package | 20" Foundry Wheels P265/35R20 Continental DWS tires | Interior Trim package | Shaker Audio with SYNC 3 | Redline Elite Hood Struts | Mishimoto catch can | Mishimoto Intercooler(Black) | TS Vee port supersonic BOV | Tune+ tuning | Driveshaft Shop aluminum DS | Map big turbo kit | AEM Meth injection w/Mishimoto charge pipe and bung | http://www.youtube.com/user/eclypse3d
3.7Cyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 08:59 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
I say go for it if you plan on keeping the car. you would have something Unique and that has a value all its own. its not always all about DOLLARS per HP for me. If you can say "I have this really interesting thing and it puts out X amount of power" my first things to say to you would not be "well how much did it cost you verses doing something else?" it more likely be "wow never seen anything like that before", "how much time and how hard/fun was it to build?", "I bet nobody else has a car like it", etc...
so if you want straight power per dollar than do what everyone else does. if you want something more original then do what you want. either way good luck and have fun.
Cold Silence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 09:35 PM   #14
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
I asked supersix (can't think of the owner's name right now) about that kit and they have several of them installed he said. I haven't come across any on any of the forums I am on, and am interested in what you find. Good luck with the build.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 11:07 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by somedopebeats View Post

An all motor build is the exact opposite of an FI build... You basically have to pick a plan and stick with it ... It would be cool, but I just struggle to see the value in dropping the coin to just be "different." More power to you though.
Old 12-27-2014, 11:36 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
If we have people with 3.7 NA full bolt ons without cams or heads running 12.3-12.5's in the 1/4, I don't see why someone make around 380 whp with stroker kit and more torque wouldn't go faster? I don't think you would be getting destroyed by all coyotes at all.
SouthernCyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 08:56 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
I asked supersix (can't think of the owner's name right now) about that kit and they have several of them installed he said. I haven't come across any on any of the forums I am on, and am interested in what you find. Good luck with the build.
So , thats it? he didnt give you any numbers or helpful info? It'd be nice to hear what those cars are putting down.
Fintile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 08:57 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintile View Post
So , thats it? he didnt give you any numbers or helpful info? It'd be nice to hear what those cars are putting down.
And in what applications.
Old 12-30-2014, 06:22 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
i only know one person running something from super six and its there ported heads..

2011 Mustang V6 auto/procharger p1sc kit with 3.70 pulley/circle d 3200 stall/4:10 gears/dss aluminum driveshaft/tial q bov/bbk long tubes with catted x pipe/dynomax ultra flo catback/bbk throttle body/accel super coils/cyclone ported upper and lower intake manifolds/brembo front brake kit
INSTAGRAM @2011fastford505
2011fastford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 06:44 AM   #20
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
I'll have to check the emails. I don't think that he gave any details or I would have contacted the people.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 08:02 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Wanna see this happen

Matts14fp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 08:14 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Close to 10k to just get maybe 380 rwhp. Oh, F that crap. For 10k one could build a fully forged, boosted 3.7 pushing 800 rwhp with suspension mods.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 08:18 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Close to 10k to just get maybe 380 rwhp. Oh, F that crap. For 10k one could build a fully forged, boosted 3.7 pushing 800 rwhp with suspension mods.
ahem.
LOL
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 08:20 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

The kit is right around 3 grand, can someone expand on everything else that is needed and would total up to 10k?

Old 01-04-2015, 08:53 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

3.7 Cyclone to 4.0 Stroker

[QUOTE=Matts14fp6;2151534]The kit is right around 3 grand, can someone expand on everything else that is needed and would total up to 10k?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang

all ur basic bolt ons which isn't going to run u to ten grand but after labor fees he will probably be close to 10000
Geok.91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 07:19 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

That's just the kit, you'll still need gaskets, a ton of fluids for the break in process, labor, some sort of tune... Its the nickels and dimes that add up beyond what just the "kit" itself costs.
I got a friend to build the (4 cylinder) in my last car out of his garage, so he had virtually no overhead, and that build still came out to ~5k said and done, and my internals were only $1200 and i tuned it myself.
Old 01-05-2015, 01:53 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

If you can build the engine yourself (minus machine shop costs), and already have done all the bolt on mods/tuner. I'm thinking $5k-6k tops, $3k for the kit, leaving $2k-$3k for another block (if not pulling/building yours), machine shop work and whatever extra stuff you need not included in the kit to assemble. Very doable for $5k-$6k if you have the knowledge and tools to build the engine yourself.

Now keep in mind that's not ported heads or cams, just the stroker kit plus existing bolt ons.
Old 01-05-2015, 01:55 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

That's also a very big "if."
Old 01-05-2015, 02:07 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That's also a very big "if."
Well I know I could build it, I have all the equipment to pull the engine, build it and put it back in besides the few specialty tools for this particular engine. But it wouldn't be worth the cost of doing without the heads and cams imo. Still just better off buying a $5k-$6k FI kit, put it on with a conservative safe tune around 400-450.
Old 01-05-2015, 03:07 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCyclone View Post
Well I know I could build it, I have all the equipment to pull the engine, build it and put it back in besides the few specialty tools for this particular engine. But it wouldn't be worth the cost of doing without the heads and cams imo. Still just better off buying a $5k-$6k FI kit, put it on with a conservative safe tune around 400-450.
Gonna have to agree with this fine gentlemem, that for the money it would cost to get maybe 380 rwhp and key word "maybe" its just not worth the build. At least not to me it wouldn't but since its not my money and time, have at it.

Just spend the 6K for supercharger, 8 pounds boost and 400 plus rwhp all day long.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 03:23 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

10k? Couldnt you get a built and boosted Coyote 5.0 crate engine for around $7k?
Fintile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 09:03 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Maybe I'm missing Something but I find it hard to believe going to a 4.0 from a 3.7 even with cams and heads is going to put out 380 at the wheels. I mean stock cars put in the 240-260 range depending on the dyno. I just don't see that much power increase out of a small engine without boost.

StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 09:49 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarzTA17 View Post
Maybe I'm missing Something but I find it hard to believe going to a 4.0 from a 3.7 even with cams and heads is going to put out 380 at the wheels. I mean stock cars put in the 240-260 range depending on the dyno. I just don't see that much power increase out of a small engine without boost.

It shouldn't be hard to believe, with just bolt ons and a tune you can get to 315 na, so assuming you have the same bolt ons and this kit, 65hp increase isn't that hard to believe....

Old 01-06-2015, 01:18 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Rhode Island
Sounds interesting

Deadreckoning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 07:36 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
10k? Couldnt you get a built and boosted Coyote 5.0 crate engine for around $7k?
Stock Coyote long block + install kit is ~$7k, but you'll also need a GT driveshaft, so another ~$800 or so. Really its within the realm of possibility for that to cost less than the 4.0 stroker said and done because used coyote blocks pop up from time to time from people who have gone Aluminator.
Ford Racing Mustang Coyote Crate Engine & Control Pack Kit M6007M50K

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarzTA17 View Post

That was some rough math i did, but i'll do my best to break down my reasoning.
Lets assume this person is modded to the brim @ 3.7L and making 315 whp @ 7000 rpms.
Equation for HP; HP = (torque x rpm)/5252, so 315 whp @ 7000 rpms is ~236.5 wtq @ 7000 rpms.

An increase in displacement gives a proportional increase in torque (all else equal) so 3.7 to 4.0 is about an 8% increase.

236 WTQ * 1.08 = 254.8 WTQ @ 7000 rpms, which gives you right about 340 whp, again, all else equal. If you played with the compression, used E85 or some sort of race fuel it could likely be done. I fluffed the numbers a little in case there was something i wasn't taking into consideration, but i agree, it is a bit of a stretch.

Edit: Going back and revisiting my (again, very rough) math, even going to an 11.5:1 compression ratio (to try to retain some sort of pump gas manners) i'm still only working out a rough 355 whp or so ... and again, all this math is based off a 315 whp starting point. It may be a stout motor, but the more and more i look at it, the harder time i'm having seeing it. Granted, this is all just one paper, and shooting from the hip. It could very well blow us out of the water ... who wants to pony up and find out haha?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang