Interior lighting - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-30-2014, 10:13 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Interior lighting

I really wish my interior came with mycolor, ie; under dash lighting, cup holder lighting and underseat rear lighting. But I am wondering if the conversion from a base model is more effective than putting the lame autozone light strips in the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Matts14fp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2014, 10:21 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
It would look a lot better but of course it would take a lot more cash. I wouldn't stick autozone lights inside your car.

Villain175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 10:26 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

What all would I have to change out? That's my biggest thing.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2014, 12:58 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I was going to do it to my GT and then never did. After my reck I got a premium with all the lights and it's pretty cool, not a must but is a nice add on. If I was you I would simply just buy those double stick LED lights and put them on top of the feet so they shine down on the front and back and then they have the smaller ones you can make shine into your cup holders and there are lights up door sills on eBay. That is pretty much it and much cheaper than buying a premium. If ford was to do it they would probably charge you hundreds to thousands when you can easily do it for pretty cheap. Hardest part is wiring it to something which is not very hard.

Bama 91 Race tune, GT500 blue racing stripes with matching hash marks and side stripes, cold air intake, Flowmaster super 44s with Roush 4" Tips, CDC performance grille, side scoops, painted quarter windows, all lights tinted
Chaz12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 01:03 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Or try to find all the parts from a premium off eBay and take out your parts, put them in, and wire them up. Only thing is that I have a screen in my car to control the colors of them and stuff so idk how that would work. Maybe just a on and off switch with one color IF you do not have the screen between the gauges. If you do then I'm not sure where you would wire it to make it work with the screen.

Bama 91 Race tune, GT500 blue racing stripes with matching hash marks and side stripes, cold air intake, Flowmaster super 44s with Roush 4" Tips, CDC performance grille, side scoops, painted quarter windows, all lights tinted
Chaz12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 01:42 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I've seen the my color lights on sites that sell OEM parts for a little over 200. Sure sure all that's involved in install but the kits arnt that much

StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 08:19 AM   #7
Kevin.Cook

Interior lighting

If you get the MyColor instrument cluster, it runs $400-$600 from ford. Then you need other wiring harnesses to run it to the rest of the MyColor hardware in the car. Such as the Premium door panels, footwells, door sills, and cup holder.

I am doing the conversion myself except I am going full Premium. Its not so much because of the money, but because I am learning alot in the process.

I have replaced my cloth seats with leather ones from a premium - $1,000.

GT500 pedals - $50

Leather e-brake - $50

Interior Door Panels from a Premium - $600

Shaker radio bezel - $70

Aluminum dash trim - $400

Lighted door sills - $180

Footwell lights - $10

Mycolor cup holder - $80

Last things i need to do is the Premium Instrument Cluster and Sound system. Will probably opt for a better one then the stock. Now i wont have the Ambient lighting that changes colors, but Blue is good enough for me.

If you know the part numbers, you can check fords website for everything. However, i bought off ebay. The door panels were extremely hard to find. I installed everything myself. Here is a pic of mine, door panels will be here later this week as well as the footwell lights.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1420035587.752795.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	172660
Old 12-31-2014, 08:23 AM   #8
Kevin.Cook

There is a kit you can get from Ford with a primitive Ambient Light setup. It does the footwells and puts a tacky LED in the side if your cup holder. Then you have to drill a hole in your center console to fit the button that will allow you to control the lights. This kit runs for about $200.
Old 12-31-2014, 08:32 AM   #9
Kevin.Cook

And if you do get lighted door sills, don't get the ones from Ford Accessories. They look like cheap knock offs. They are the original plastic door sill with a metal strip 3M'd onto it with an LED underneath. There is no way to wire it to change color. Go onto eBay and looks for a pair that was pulled out of a Premium. One way to distinguish if they are from a premium is, the Mycolor door sill metal part with Mustang sits down inside/flush with the plastic. The knock off looking ones have smaller lettering and do not sit as flush with the plastic.
Old 12-31-2014, 08:33 AM   #10
Kevin.Cook

Another way to tell the two apart is, the MyColor door sill will have a real connector on the back. The knockoff will not have a connector. Just a ground and positive.
Old 12-31-2014, 09:12 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Looks like it's a pretty involved switch

Old 12-31-2014, 11:09 AM   #12
Kevin.Cook

It is very involved if you want the OEM ambient light setup. If you just want 1 color if lighting, you can find take off door sills on ebay for around $100 and you can get led lighting for the footwells for $10-$20. Wire the door sills to your dome lights and wire the footwells to your headlight fuse port.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang