JLT cai and x4 tuner, or just the tuner? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-31-2014, 06:53 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
JLT cai and x4 tuner, or just the tuner?

Hello everyone considering getting the JLT cai and tuner combo, but not sure if its worth it. Any takes on it?

Better alternatives?

Thanks
Ponyboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2014, 07:50 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I just got the tuner. Skipped the CAI. definitely worth saving your money unless you also want the extra sound+looks under the hood from the CAI.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 10:12 AM   #3

Region: Texas
Look for a combo kit. You can get them from American Muscle for under 600.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
sam 76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2014, 10:49 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
I'd skip the CAI. Even if you get a combo kit the CAI adds far to much in price unless your just looking for expensive eye candy (eye candy being personal opinion, I don't find the look of a CAI on these Stang's to be as attractive as some people do).

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
95Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 10:58 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I personally love my CAI. It looks way better than stock imo.

Villain175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 01:28 PM   #6

Yes in my .02 I would just add the $200 and get the combo you add another 5ish horsepower plus get a great sound from under the hood. I am about to purchase a steeda cai and x4 combo plus Lt headers and midpipe for my 14
2014stang3.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 01:44 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
You can check my thread as I recently ran a quick butt-dyno comparison of stock airbox, Airaid Tube-Only and full Airaid CAI.

Until I see dyno slips from someone other than a CAI manufacturer I will remain VERY skeptical that it gives you any power at all. *IF* (and this is being generous) there is a gain in HP, you'll never come close to feeling it.

That said, I kept mine 100% because I love the noise it makes (don't care how it looks personally). But it makes wonderful noise. THe tube-only option did not really do much to deliver better engine noise.

I personally think that *IF* the power is there and "every little bit counts" because you race and can demonstrate that it shaved 100ths off your time then get the tube only option. The stock airbox seals better and gets colder air, and its less than half the cost of the CAI.

Whatever you do, I recommend buying a used unit. Its a plastic tube and a filter. Seriously. Paying full on new/retail is ... a waste.

Before I paid for a CAI I'd get a throttlebody though. It was NOT significant, but I DID notice better throttle response and smoother acceleration (even took it back off and ran stock again to be sure). That's WAY more difference than I have felt with any of the CAI options.

All of that said, there's nothing in the world wrong with spending the money if you have it just for the looks or the noise. That's why its YOUR car. God knows there's enough people spending their money on neon interior piping. Just so you know what you're getting for your hard earned cash.
WordySanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 01:49 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

And to follow up, assuming you don't already have gears, I'd fully recommend that your FIRST TWO MODS be gears and a tune.

THAT will make you feel like you own a totally different car. If you were blindfolded and a passenger in the same care before and after you'd swear on your mothers grave that it couldn't possibly be the same car.

That's the biggest difference you will ever feel outside of FI. Headers are nice, but for the money don't even come close to the difference they make to the car and the way they drive.

Of course, you should do ALL of these (Everyone should be as broke as me afterall.) But if we're talking about prioritization, do the gears and tune first before anything else. Save that nickle and dime stuff until you can do these two.
Old 12-31-2014, 09:22 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I got the tuner/CAI combo from AM almost two years ago on sale. The tuner was totally worth it, the CAI did nothing performance wise. I did gears last year, 2.73s to 3.73s and without a doubt they should have been my first mod along with a tuner.

FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 12:13 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
I got the tuner/CAI combo from AM almost two years ago on sale. The tuner was totally worth it, the CAI did nothing performance wise. I did gears last year, 2.73s to 3.73s and without a doubt they should have been my first mod along with a tuner.

+1 no cai hp increase just looks

Bigshow14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 12:31 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I was told that because I have an auto I should do the 4.10 gears, anyone confirm this? There used to be a post with shift points and 0-60 times.

Great input thus far though! Thanks!
Ponyboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 02:48 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

"should" is a strong word. There isn't a right answer to your gear choice. You're on the right track with looking for the shift points and such though. Depends on what you do with your car.

My personal *OPINION* (ahem) is that 4.10 would begin to annoy you as a DD. Gonna rev a bit high on the freeway for my taste. (Again, OPINION.) I drive my car 75% of the time as a DD (have a truck as well), so I like keeping it manageable for when we do a six hour drive down the coast.

If you're all into drag racing then I imagine you'd get a lot of grunt out of those gears. I think the majority of folks who mostly DD but still like to horse around wind up with the 3.55s or 3.73s. You go higher than that in my opinion I suspect you won't be happy unless you spend a significant amount o time on the track.

A solid tune is going to fix up that sloppy shifting slushbox, so 4.10s aren't the only answer for that.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
cai