How much did you pay for gear install? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-01-2015, 11:59 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
How much did you pay for gear install?

Boys and girls,

I know there have been a lot of gear threads floating around. This isn't another gear thread asking about which is best/worst. Let's get to the point.

Where are you located and how much did you pay for your gear install?

I'm being quoted ~$500 LABOR or more by all the places in my area of Virginia. I've read some of you have had it done in the $200 range.

Basically, I want to know if anyone is in VA or a surrounding state and got it done for a good price and can get me the same deal! If the savings are as significant as I've seen on these forums, the drive would make it worth it.

Thanks ladies and gents!

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2015, 12:11 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Im in southeast Louisiana and a local shop charges $200 for the install. Hes been charging that price for the last 20 years.
Bigshow14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 04:15 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
$550 Labor from my local Ford dealer, East Tennessee.
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2015, 04:36 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Two things to consider:
1) Average hourly rate of the shops in your area
2) Exactly what you're getting done

Seattle: The Mustang Shop - took about four hours
Normally $400, sometimes special $350
Shop rates around here are 80-100/hr.
Seattle tends to be slightly higher than average on all cost of living and prices.

Book on just the gears is around three or four hours I believe.
I had the pinion and axle bearings replaced while I was in there (60k on the car and it was basically just the cost of the bearings since it was all apart).

Not casting aspersions on shops that can do it for $200, maybe that's just their rate. My friend owns a shop in Fla and EPA regulations alone jack his costs every single year, the cost of the gear lube alone is like $40 . So if there are folks out there who can keep the same prices for 20 years, more power to them. Though it makes me wonder if the poor bastards working there ever get a raise...
WordySanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 04:36 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
280$ labour here.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 05:11 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
do you have the gears $250Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1420153897.295803.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	162.8 KB
ID:	172704

Laquisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 06:10 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by WordySanchez View Post
Two things to consider:
1) Average hourly rate of the shops in your area
2) Exactly what you're getting done

Seattle: The Mustang Shop - took about four hours
Normally $400, sometimes special $350
Shop rates around here are 80-100/hr.
Seattle tends to be slightly higher than average on all cost of living and prices.

Book on just the gears is around three or four hours I believe.
I had the pinion and axle bearings replaced while I was in there (60k on the car and it was basically just the cost of the bearings since it was all apart).

Not casting aspersions on shops that can do it for $200, maybe that's just their rate. My friend owns a shop in Fla and EPA regulations alone jack his costs every single year, the cost of the gear lube alone is like $40 . So if there are folks out there who can keep the same prices for 20 years, more power to them. Though it makes me wonder if the poor bastards working there ever get a raise...
Lol na my buddy and his dad own a private shop. He does extremely well and stays pretty busy working on stangs. He does quaility work, just doesnt believe that a gear swap in an 8.8 is worth charging more than $200. Once the car is on the lift 2-3hr job.
Bigshow14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 08:08 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
$360 in Central OK. That's with my own parts install kit, fluid plus some axle bearings and clutch packs etc

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 12:39 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Arrrg all these good deals are so far away from VA!

Old 01-02-2015, 04:28 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
I was quoted $300 in Jefferson city, mo but decided to do them myself... It's not a horrible job just make sure you have everything you need first and take your time. I like working on my own cars tho... At least you know exactly what has been messed with. I've had some bad luck at shops in the past. :-/
2014 V6 6 speed, air raid intake, bbk throttle body, 91 octane nitrous tune, borla long tubes, custom h pipe, borla s-type mufflers, 3.55 gears, nitrous outlet wet plate w/ 100 shot , line lock, drag shocks, bmr lower control arms
John316hi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 08:03 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Ford dealer quoted me $900 JUST labor. Semi-local mustang shop quoted $600 labor+parts
somedopebeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 10:12 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Got a shop out here in Ma that say they specialize in Mustang ans they will do the job (parts and labor) for $350-$400
Fintile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 10:38 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Parts and labor?! What parts are they using to practically offer free labor.

Old 01-02-2015, 10:48 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
they say only Genuine Ford parts are used... so brand new gears $150 and $200-$250 for labor?
Fintile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 12:35 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintile View Post
they say only Genuine Ford parts are used... so brand new gears $150 and $200-$250 for labor?
Sounds about right. Especially if they are a Mustang shop. By now they can probably do the Ford 8.8 in their sleep.

2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
Old 01-02-2015, 12:44 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Hmmm. Do they have a website? I've got family up there so I could make this in to a good road trip.

Old 01-02-2015, 04:57 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
I was charged ~$350 for mine, which is what I was quoted, but they tried to charge me about $950 (and then $700) about 30 minutes before I was supposed to pick it up. According to them it took 4 hours just to open the pumpkin after all the work involved with that so there was no way they could make the quote and whoever had quoted me it was quoting me the price of the 2010-2012 Mustangs. I told them stop working on the car, put everything back together and I would be picking it up immediately. They eventually backed down when they realized just how incredibly pissed I was and how unwilling I was to pay for their "mistake" and they honored the original quote, but kept it for a full two days. I was given their parts moving van as a loaner .

When I went to pick up the van they showed me "all the work they had to do on it to even get as far as they did." They had taken off the wheels and brakes, dropped the swaybar, and opened the pumpkin. Every review of the place said they were fantastic (and the actual work they did on the gears was good, although someone screwed up putting one of the brakes back on and after I told them to fix it they blamed it on me not torquing down my wheels when I put on the snow tires...the same wheels they removed), but after that experience I would never go there again for anything regardless of the price. I just do not trust them.
Old 01-02-2015, 06:38 PM   #18
IS3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
$550 for Labor and $450 for parts on a local shop in San Diego, CA.
$1350 for Labor and parts at a Ford Dealership in Carlsbad, CA. ( they said it will take 10 hours to do everything...)
IS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 06:54 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
980.00 USD at Steeda for gear kit, installation and a hand held tuner with lifetime tunes .

Ranger052 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 12:36 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by forceflow2 View Post
I was charged ~$350 for mine, which is what I was quoted, but they tried to charge me about $950 (and then $700) about 30 minutes before I was supposed to pick it up. According to them it took 4 hours just to open the pumpkin after all the work involved with that so there was no way they could make the quote and whoever had quoted me it was quoting me the price of the 2010-2012 Mustangs. I told them stop working on the car, put everything back together and I would be picking it up immediately. They eventually backed down when they realized just how incredibly pissed I was and how unwilling I was to pay for their "mistake" and they honored the original quote, but kept it for a full two days. I was given their parts moving van as a loaner .

When I went to pick up the van they showed me "all the work they had to do on it to even get as far as they did." They had taken off the wheels and brakes, dropped the swaybar, and opened the pumpkin. Every review of the place said they were fantastic (and the actual work they did on the gears was good, although someone screwed up putting one of the brakes back on and after I told them to fix it they blamed it on me not torquing down my wheels when I put on the snow tires...the same wheels they removed), but after that experience I would never go there again for anything regardless of the price. I just do not trust them.
Lol, "the 10-12 price". A 13 or 14 with the exact same rear end is so difficult!

Old 01-03-2015, 12:43 PM   #21
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Place I went to which charged $360 for labor was a great shop. Best in the area. They put it on the lift around 11am and I picked it back up before 3pm. Granted they didn't have a Panhard bar to work around and the 99-04s are a bit easier. That also included the clutch pack for the diff.

And the labor wouldn't have changed if I also brought them upgraded axles and an upgraded diff. Still would have been $360. Definitely going back when I eventually upgrade the rear end again.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 02:16 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
I recommend Iron Mike in Rockville, MD. They charge $500 and seem to know what they are doing.

Mine was done by Woodbine Motorsports in northern MD. The car had a whine after the install, because the pinion pre-load was not set correctly. Iron Mike fixed my problem with a reasonable price.
liv4spd is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang