Which tune to purchase? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-01-2015, 06:45 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Which tune to purchase?

Hey everyone, I just bought a used tuner, and I'm not sure which tune I should purchase. I haven't done any performance mods yet, but I plan to in the future. So I don't want to buy a single tune and then have to buy a new one every time I add another performance mod. Should I go with bama tunes for life? Or are there other companies that revise tunes for a good price after you buy a tune.

Also, I don't track my car or anything like that. I'm just doing the performance mods to make it a little more fun to drive. So it doesn't need to be the most aggressive tune out there.

And sorry if these are obvious questions. I'm new to the tuner world. I wasn't even planning on getting one but I got a killer deal on this one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Old 01-01-2015, 06:57 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Man that's a straight up dilemma. I can't comment on how diff tunes compare, all I have is an 89 Performance tune from MPT and I can tell you it makes it feel like a different car.

That said *IF* you can be patient enough to wait until you get gears, I would suggest that. I can understand if you're not though. You can contact MPT to see if they do anything to be competitive with Bama's "tunes for life" offer, I have no idea. But I had to have them make a correction for my speedo and that was done with no charge.

If you want to retune after different mods then the tunes for life thing might be the way to go for you. MPT only charges 70 a tune. I have an Airaid CAI and BBK TB and neither of those really require a tune (I'm not sure there's anything in the tune that even impacts these).

The BBK shorties I have not yet installed also do not require a tune and I'm certain fall into the same boat as the other two things. I plan to put on Borla Tourings, and that too won't require a tune. The only mod that was tune-dependent was the gears, and I think that was mostly to get the speedo corrected.

Any of that make sense?
WordySanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 07:03 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Okay cool. Well in that case I may wait until I get gears and then order a tune. None of the other things I was planning on doing require a tune. I'm mainly thinking a cat back exhaust, shorty headers, and intake. So I guess I'm good!

Old 01-01-2015, 07:24 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I would get MPT for your tunes. I used to have Bama and MPT hands down is better. Everyone that has tried Bama then switches to MPT stays with MPT for a reason they are the better of the two tuners.
AirRaid CAI, BBK Ceramic LT Headers, BBK Catted X Pipe, Borla ATAK, MPT 93/97 Tune, Steeda LCA's and UCA, Steeda Relocation Brackets, 373 gears, WaveTrac LSD, Dynotech Driveshaft. Prothane Motor Mounts, Whiteline adjustable panhard bar & brace.Ground Control Coilovers with Koni's custom valved. Coming soon Circle D 3800 Stall and Lone Wolf Intake Manifold.
willb2305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 07:25 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Okay thanks!

Old 01-01-2015, 07:45 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to roushMarlon831
Quote:
Originally Posted by willb2305 View Post
I would get MPT for your tunes. I used to have Bama and MPT hands down is better. Everyone that has tried Bama then switches to MPT stays with MPT for a reason they are the better of the two tuners.

I have to agree! I was going to go with bama but after reading reviews
And experiences with them, MPT is on top
roushMarlon831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 07:50 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Hey guys, does MPT do exclusive tunning with SCT? i have diablo sport. Know if they could help me?

one day i hope to have something pretty damn witty here
jake01roushv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 08:04 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
For the quality of the tune I recommend MPT, but the fact you have no mods yet and aren't tracking the car and just want a little bit more get up, Bama may be a better option right now just because of the free tunes for life.

MPT does not offer that. You buy 1 tune and get 6 months of free revisions, past that point it's 20 bucks per revision.

MPT is where you want to be when you've gotten your power mods, gears wheels etc done.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 08:10 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Jon Lund or AED. Top 2 dogs in business.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Laquisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 08:13 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
If your auto go with mike rousch or vmp. Manual go lund or aed. I had bama before the vmp and it sucks compared to this.

WhiteCali5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 08:21 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Okay thanks for the input everyone. I guess I'll just go mpt and try to get the gears within the 6 months of free revisions.

Old 01-01-2015, 08:50 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
You may want to check into tuners from Amazon that apparently include MPT tunes and at a pretty good price.
I may be missing something here so I'm hoping the more knowledgeable guys with tunes can comment on this.

http://www.amazon.com/Combo-Mustang-...productDetails
Sorry...forgot he already has the tuner.
But this does appear to be a pretty good price for 3 MPT tunes and only $20 for revisions after 6 months.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 08:53 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

That tuner is sold by MPT, it's just listed on Amazon. If you buy their tuner with the tunes, then you get 3, with the same 6 month revision period.

2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
Old 01-01-2015, 08:53 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I thought Lund tunes were only for v8, correct me if I'm wrong. Assuming op has a v6 since were in the v6 thread

Matts14fp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 08:58 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Yes I do have a V6. And i already have the tuner. I bought a used one so it didn't come with any tunes on it.

Old 01-01-2015, 09:12 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
I didn't even see the v6. I will apologize for everyone lol

WhiteCali5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 11:18 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Lund offers a V6 tune as well. Now I haven't seen any data from someone who runs it, so I couldn't say how it compares to MPT.

http://www.lundracing.com/2011-2014-v6-custom-tuning/

Old 01-02-2015, 12:35 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laquisha View Post
Jon Lund or AED. Top 2 dogs in business.

AED does not tune v6's.

Sent from the Bathroom

1989 Sonic Blue LX Coupe, 349 ci, TW heads, TFS Track Heat Intake, 75mm Accufab TB, 80mm ProM, 30 lb. inj, TKO, 3.73, 31 spline w/ TruTrac, MAC 1-5/8" LT headers w/ H pipe, Flowmaster, electric fan Moates QH
391 rwhp & 424 rwtq...Mustang Dyno 11.5@122mph
smurf stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 02:54 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

you are correct AED will not waste their time with a V6, i think only if you are a supercharged V6 then AED might work with you.
AirRaid CAI, BBK Ceramic LT Headers, BBK Catted X Pipe, Borla ATAK, MPT 93/97 Tune, Steeda LCA's and UCA, Steeda Relocation Brackets, 373 gears, WaveTrac LSD, Dynotech Driveshaft. Prothane Motor Mounts, Whiteline adjustable panhard bar & brace.Ground Control Coilovers with Koni's custom valved. Coming soon Circle D 3800 Stall and Lone Wolf Intake Manifold.
willb2305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 03:45 PM   #20
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

MPT without a doubt. Great tune and customer support. Their customer service is on par with American Muscle
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
MustangDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 03:50 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Everytime I call there its either JR or the other fellow. If I've called during business hours, I always get to talk to someone. And they're patient in explaining things and working through stuff with you. I haven't dealt with anyone else, but I don't have a big reason to with as happy as I have been with the customer service. Plus the tune has really woken my car up. No more throttle lag. Thank god.
WordySanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 03:54 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Alright. Well I guess I'll be going with mpt then! Just gotta wait for my car to get out of the shop.

---------- Post added at 03:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:53 PM ----------

Alright. Well I guess I'm going with mpt then! Just gotta wait for my car to get out of the shop.

Old 01-02-2015, 03:57 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Hello

I run the BAMA 89 tune.

I like it a lot. AM good to deal with.

2015 Roush RS1 Premium w PP
Roush Performance upgrade-- Tinted Windows
JLT Catch Can--Ford Racing Strut Brace
Flowmaster scavenger "Y" pipe resonator delete
b2673ad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 05:41 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Another vote for MPT. Get it and you won't look bad. For $70, its worth every penny!
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 08:08 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I have a Jon Lund $200 tune, its a good tune. My MPT $75 tune, pulls harder and is over all 'more powerful and faster'.
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 09:49 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Connor303 -
Heres a good write up someone did with BAMA. Read through it to get a better idea of what they are about and how they work.
BAMA- What are you really getting from them?
Fintile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 09:59 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
MPT is really great. I'll get theirs as soon as I catch Santa!
Old 01-03-2015, 10:14 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Had a fully datalogged Steeda tune... switched to MPT and it was better out of the box, dialed in it's even better than the initial tune MPT sent.

FYI, if you add gears, even outside of the 6 month window since unlike Bama... MPT leaves the options open you can change the gear ratio yourself. Only would need to pay the $20 for new mods. Also I thought the $20 got you another 6 month period for revisions, not just a single revision.
mariusvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 10:21 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariusvt View Post
Had a fully datalogged Steeda tune... switched to MPT and it was better out of the box, dialed in it's even better than the initial tune MPT sent.

FYI, if you add gears, even outside of the 6 month window since unlike Bama... MPT leaves the options open you can change the gear ratio yourself. Only would need to pay the $20 for new mods. Also I thought the $20 got you another 6 month period for revisions, not just a single revision.

BAMA lets you change the gears...you just contact them before you do the swap requesting a tune for whatever gear you're switching to and they send it and you don't have to spend $20...
Fintile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 11:10 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah you have to contact them to get it done by Bama. MPT and Steeda both leave the tuner unlocked so you can adjust the gear ratio yourself without having to wait for Bama.

You misunderstood, the $20 was for new tune adjustments after 6 months if you add new performance mods that would require a tune update. Still worth it over the Bama tunes for life.
Old 01-03-2015, 11:35 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintile View Post

BAMA lets you change the gears...you just contact them before you do the swap requesting a tune for whatever gear you're switching to and they send it and you don't have to spend $20...
There are certain parameters that are locked by the tuning companies and Bama locks the one where you can change the gears selection. This is big for the auto guys as it determines the up/down shifts.

Sent from the Bathroom

1989 Sonic Blue LX Coupe, 349 ci, TW heads, TFS Track Heat Intake, 75mm Accufab TB, 80mm ProM, 30 lb. inj, TKO, 3.73, 31 spline w/ TruTrac, MAC 1-5/8" LT headers w/ H pipe, Flowmaster, electric fan Moates QH
391 rwhp & 424 rwtq...Mustang Dyno 11.5@122mph
smurf stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 11:42 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Okay so if I go with MPT, I'll make sure to change out the gears within those first 6 months. I know things like shorty headers and cai don't require a tune. Is it beneficial to revise the tune once those things are added?

Old 01-03-2015, 11:47 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connor323 View Post
Hey everyone, I just bought a used tuner, and I'm not sure which tune I should purchase. I haven't done any performance mods yet, but I plan to in the future. So I don't want to buy a single tune and then have to buy a new one every time I add another performance mod. Should I go with bama tunes for life? Or are there other companies that revise tunes for a good price after you buy a tune.

Also, I don't track my car or anything like that. I'm just doing the performance mods to make it a little more fun to drive. So it doesn't need to be the most aggressive tune out there.

And sorry if these are obvious questions. I'm new to the tuner world. I wasn't even planning on getting one but I got a killer deal on this one.

get Bama tunes and then follow up with MPT.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 12:06 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Gears doesn't matter if it's in 6 months or 5 years later, you can make that adjustment yourself with the tuner. The CAI and shorty headers is what you'd want to do revisions for. Sure they say no tune required but having your tune datalogged with them on yields a better gain.
Old 01-03-2015, 12:07 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariusvt View Post
Gears doesn't matter if it's in 6 months or 5 years later, you can make that adjustment yourself with the tuner. The CAI and shorty headers is what you'd want to do revisions for. Sure they say no tune required but having your tune datalogged with them on yields a better gain.
Does it matter if I didn't purchase the tuner from them? I bought the tuner used.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang