Mustang Evolution Forum banner

BBK Shorty Headers and Hi Flow cats Question

7K views 44 replies 12 participants last post by  Fintile 
#1 · (Edited)
To anyone using the BBK Shorty Headers I have two questions.

1) Is there a noticeable sound difference? I am getting them for pure sound purposes
2) Is it worth getting the ceramic over the chrome? I really dont care how they "look".

Lastly how much of a difference "sound wise" do the high flow cats from "pypes" provide?

I prefer to hear from people who have done this. Youtube was not much help. Everyone had other mods other than just BBK headers. Also its hard to tell before and after differences on youtube.

#2 ·
Will make the exhaust tone deeper & more mellow. Ceramic will reduce under hood temps, totally worth the extra cost. High flow cats or O/R pipes will add more rasp to the exhaust.

#3 · (Edited)
this is pretty much what I figured. most of the videos on YouTube of the BBK shorty headers the people also have high flow cats. they sounded very raspy I wanted to make sure the raspiness was coming from the high flow cats and not the headers.

I am just looking to make my sound slightly louder and deepen the tone just a little bit mosounds like the BBK Shorty Headers would be the best option to do that. is there much of a difference between the BBK and the Mac headers? anyone using them?

#5 ·
The rasp is a two fold thing, it's the high flow cats paired with the removal of the resonators. You could likely tame the rasp out of the high flow pipe by having a set of resonators welded in. That being said, I'd skip the bbk high flow pipe because they are aluminized and will rust out.

#7 ·
Do you have a manual or an auto? Believe it or not they came with different mufflers.

Sent from the Bathroom

#9 · (Edited)
Thanks for this. Herere is my current setup.
-Airaid CAI
-Resonators Removed
-Stock X pipe replaced with Custom H pipe
-Flowmaster super 44
-10" long by 4" wide single wall chrome Tips

For you people that have the headers MACs or the BBKs was it a Night and day sound difference or only slight? I also hear the MACs don't come with the gaskets?

#20 ·
Mac should have a slightly deeper tone. I know on the Longtubes the Mac's have a deeper tone compared to BBK.

#26 ·
Anyone know how Mac shorties sound with Borla S types with stock midpipe?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#27 ·
I just did the BBK shorties and so far Im really happy. The car definitely has more low end, you can really feel it. I first installed them with the Borla Touring but I thought they were a little too quiet, so I traded my Touring for the ATAK's and Im loving it. Im got more compliments with this setup then I have with pretty much any of my other exhausts. It sounds great at idle and cruising, but at WOT it roars!! Im loving it.

#28 ·
Im glad you love it. I just cant get into the Borla scene. It sounds too Eruo for me. If the UK made a mustang Borla is how it would sound stock. With the right amount of mods the Flowmasters have you come out sounding like a stock GT. And on the GT? The sound of a flowmaster on a GT is pure orgasmic! I got a v6 this once just to try it out. I'll never do it again. :facepalm:

#43 · (Edited)
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.