BBK Shorty Headers and Hi Flow cats Question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-03-2015, 08:31 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
BBK Shorty Headers and Hi Flow cats Question

To anyone using the BBK Shorty Headers I have two questions.

1) Is there a noticeable sound difference? I am getting them for pure sound purposes
2) Is it worth getting the ceramic over the chrome? I really dont care how they "look".

Lastly how much of a difference "sound wise" do the high flow cats from "pypes" provide?

I prefer to hear from people who have done this. Youtube was not much help. Everyone had other mods other than just BBK headers. Also its hard to tell before and after differences on youtube.
cwwjr1681 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2015, 09:08 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Will make the exhaust tone deeper & more mellow. Ceramic will reduce under hood temps, totally worth the extra cost. High flow cats or O/R pipes will add more rasp to the exhaust.
mariusvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 09:11 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariusvt View Post
Will make the exhaust tone deeper & more mellow. Ceramic will reduce under hood temps, totally worth the extra cost. High flow cats or O/R pipes will add more rasp to the exhaust.
this is pretty much what I figured. most of the videos on YouTube of the BBK shorty headers the people also have high flow cats. they sounded very raspy I wanted to make sure the raspiness was coming from the high flow cats and not the headers.

I am just looking to make my sound slightly louder and deepen the tone just a little bit mosounds like the BBK Shorty Headers would be the best option to do that. is there much of a difference between the BBK and the Mac headers? anyone using them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2015, 09:43 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Here you go:
2012 Deep Sounding V6

Got a few videos posted of guys with Shorties and stock cats.
Fintile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 09:43 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
The rasp is a two fold thing, it's the high flow cats paired with the removal of the resonators. You could likely tame the rasp out of the high flow pipe by having a set of resonators welded in. That being said, I'd skip the bbk high flow pipe because they are aluminized and will rust out.
mariusvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 11:23 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Before BBK's

After, the only change was the headers
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 11:29 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Do you have a manual or an auto? Believe it or not they came with different mufflers.

Sent from the Bathroom

1989 Sonic Blue LX Coupe, 349 ci, TW heads, TFS Track Heat Intake, 75mm Accufab TB, 80mm ProM, 30 lb. inj, TKO, 3.73, 31 spline w/ TruTrac, MAC 1-5/8" LT headers w/ H pipe, Flowmaster, electric fan Moates QH
391 rwhp & 424 rwtq...Mustang Dyno 11.5@122mph
smurf stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 11:30 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
I can speak for the Macs, nice easy to install headers. Sound and perform well and go ceramic for sure. American Muscle has them on sale this month.
Bigshow14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 02:55 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigshow14 View Post
I can speak for the Macs, nice easy to install headers. Sound and perform well and go ceramic for sure. American Muscle has them on sale this month.
Thanks for this. Herere is my current setup.
-Airaid CAI
-Resonators Removed
-Stock X pipe replaced with Custom H pipe
-Flowmaster super 44
-10" long by 4" wide single wall chrome Tips

For you people that have the headers MACs or the BBKs was it a Night and day sound difference or only slight? I also hear the MACs don't come with the gaskets?
Old 01-03-2015, 03:27 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwwjr1681 View Post
-Airaid CAI
-Resonators Removed
-Flowmaster super 44

For you people that have the headers MACs or the BBKs was it a Night and day sound difference or only slight? I also hear the MACs don't come with the gaskets?
The macs don't come with gaskets I reused the oem gaskets with no issues. Day and night difference not really but some difference yes. Day and night would come from using long tubes. You will notice the difference in sound just not a drastic amount of loudness. Definite sound improver with shortys.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 01-03-2015, 03:44 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
-Airaid CAI
-Resonators Removed
-Flowmaster super 44

ITS YOU! LOl sorry i wasnt getting pics on the site when i posted that. Your last exhaust post has the difference more. Shorties are going to be deeper with a more mellow note.
Old 01-03-2015, 03:50 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintile View Post
ITS YOU! LOl sorry i wasnt getting pics on the site when i posted that. Your last exhaust post has the difference more. Shorties are going to be deeper with a more mellow note.
Excellent! Just what I wanted a deeper more mellow note at WOT.

Now Im torn between BBK or MAC shorties.
Old 01-03-2015, 04:18 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Excellent! Just what I wanted a deeper more mellow note at WOT.

Now Im torn between BBK or MAC shorties.
BBKs arent bad. Some people have had issues with rust and poor manufacturing (leaking welds). MAC seam to have a 99.99% positive review. Ceramic are going to keep your engine bay temps down. Stainless are cheaper. You could also header wrap them, but i would get ceramic. This summer alone i had intake temps of 114-120 (while sitting at a light, once I got moving the temp almost immediately went down to ambient) and i KNOW it was my stainless headers...I need to spray them with an insulation coating or something.
Old 01-03-2015, 04:25 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
BBKs arent bad. Some people have had issues with rust and poor manufacturing (leaking welds). MAC seam to have a 99.99% positive review. Ceramic are going to keep your engine bay temps down. Stainless are cheaper. You could also header wrap them, but i would get ceramic. This summer alone i had intake temps of 114-120 (while sitting at a light, once I got moving the temp almost immediately went down to ambient) and i KNOW it was my stainless headers...I need to spray them with an insulation coating or something.
pulled the trigger on the ceramic MACs. I like that they dont have a logo on them. It just sucks they dont come with gaskets. I hope my stock ones work.
Old 01-03-2015, 04:48 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
What headers are you running that are stainless?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 04:58 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
pulled the trigger on the ceramic MACs. I like that they dont have a logo on them. It just sucks they dont come with gaskets. I hope my stock ones work.
My bbk came with gaskets, but I used my OEM gaskets instead. Be careful though, the OEM gaskets can cut you pretty easily.

Old 01-03-2015, 05:11 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You will like the Macs and just reuse the oem gaskets. Most who have the BBKs used the oem gaskets anyway.
Old 01-03-2015, 05:59 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
What headers are you running that are stainless?

BBK...and I meant chrome. That was my bad.
Old 01-03-2015, 06:35 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You will like the Macs and just reuse the oem gaskets. Most who have the BBKs used the oem gaskets anyway.
I just hope the Mac sound as good as the BBK
Old 01-03-2015, 08:03 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Mac should have a slightly deeper tone. I know on the Longtubes the Mac's have a deeper tone compared to BBK.
AirRaid CAI, BBK Ceramic LT Headers, BBK Catted X Pipe, Borla ATAK, MPT 93/97 Tune, Steeda LCA's and UCA, Steeda Relocation Brackets, 373 gears, WaveTrac LSD, Dynotech Driveshaft. Prothane Motor Mounts, Whiteline adjustable panhard bar & brace.Ground Control Coilovers with Koni's custom valved. Coming soon Circle D 3800 Stall and Lone Wolf Intake Manifold.
willb2305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 10:45 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by willb2305 View Post
Mac should have a slightly deeper tone. I know on the Longtubes the Mac's have a deeper tone compared to BBK.
This makes me happy
Old 01-04-2015, 01:44 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The macs don't come with gaskets I reused the oem gaskets with no issues. Day and night difference not really but some difference yes. Day and night would come from using long tubes. You will notice the difference in sound just not a drastic amount of loudness. Definite sound improver with shortys.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
did yours get noticeably deeper/more mellow at high rpms and at WOT? I bought the ceramic MACs Also how does it sound when revving it?

I hope they will sound ok and not too raspy considering I have no resonators. But I am using Flowmaster Super44s and have the stock cats. my exact setup is in an above post.
Old 01-04-2015, 02:15 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Yes they will tame your exhaust some. My exhaust was quieter at idle but opened up at wot. I ran them with the magnaflow muffler deletes and sounded alot better with the headers verses the manifolds but they're not miracle workers.
Old 01-04-2015, 02:23 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yes they will tame your exhaust some. My exhaust was quieter at idle but opened up at wot. I ran them with the magnaflow muffler deletes and sounded alot better with the headers verses the manifolds but they're not miracle workers.
With this setup
-Airaid CAI
-Resonators Removed
-Flowmaster super 44
-Stock Cats

After I add the MAC shorty headers, do you think I will need resonators? Or should it be mellow enough without em?
Old 01-04-2015, 08:36 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

With THAT setup, install the headers and go from there. It's too hard to say.
Old 01-06-2015, 12:06 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Anyone know how Mac shorties sound with Borla S types with stock midpipe?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
jonyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 06:07 PM   #27
Registered Member

Regular

I just did the BBK shorties and so far Im really happy. The car definitely has more low end, you can really feel it. I first installed them with the Borla Touring but I thought they were a little too quiet, so I traded my Touring for the ATAK's and Im loving it. Im got more compliments with this setup then I have with pretty much any of my other exhausts. It sounds great at idle and cruising, but at WOT it roars!! Im loving it.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 06:13 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal Stangman View Post
I just did the BBK shorties and so far Im really happy. The car definitely has more low end, you can really feel it. I first installed them with the Borla Touring but I thought they were a little too quiet, so I traded my Touring for the ATAK's and Im loving it. Im got more compliments with this setup then I have with pretty much any of my other exhausts. It sounds great at idle and cruising, but at WOT it roars!! Im loving it.
Im glad you love it. I just cant get into the Borla scene. It sounds too Eruo for me. If the UK made a mustang Borla is how it would sound stock. With the right amount of mods the Flowmasters have you come out sounding like a stock GT. And on the GT? The sound of a flowmaster on a GT is pure orgasmic! I got a v6 this once just to try it out. I'll never do it again.
Old 01-06-2015, 06:25 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Actually after you put the headers on you lose the euro sound with the Borlas
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 07:04 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Anyone know how shorties sound with an off road setup like x/h pipe and car deletes?
Coyote2820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 07:25 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote2820 View Post
Anyone know how shorties sound with an off road setup like x/h pipe and car deletes?
On the V6 do not ever take off the stock cats or a muffler. You will sound VERY raspy along with a "loose pipe" sound.

My new Setup with flowmaster Super 44s. Still waiting on Headers. They are being shipped. Will post a vid once installed. This was a Warm start
Old 01-06-2015, 08:06 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Dang, I just realized this was a v6 post. Sorry guys.
Coyote2820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 08:09 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote2820 View Post
Dang, I just realized this was a v6 post. Sorry guys.
If you are on the GT. Remove resonators, custom H pipe it and the slap on some super 44s. It will sound mean as hell my buddy has that setup.
Old 01-06-2015, 08:19 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
On the V6 do not ever take off the stock cats or a muffler. You will sound VERY raspy along with a "loose pipe" sound.

My new Setup with flowmaster Super 44s. Still waiting on Headers. They are being shipped. Will post a vid once installed. This was a Warm start
Do you have a video where you surpass 2k rpm Lol. Give us a wot or full pull.

Old 01-06-2015, 08:23 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
Do you have a video where you surpass 2k rpm? Lol

---------- Post added at 09:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:19 PM ----------

I'll put one up after I get my headers installed tomorrow or the next day.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang