Brake feel - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-04-2015, 05:47 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Brake feel

I've been driving some other cars lately including a 2015 mustang gt PP and my moms 2013 town and country what I have noticed is that both cars have better brake pedal feel than my mustang. I have a '13 performance package v6 with 30k miles and I was wondering what I could do to improve pedal feel. I know stainless steel brake lines and dot 4 brake fluid were suggestions I found. Do you think my pads and rotors could be starting to wear? How long should they last? Granted, I am fairly hard on brakes but the car, since i owned it, (18.6k miles when I bought her) has never been tracked.
Brandneutral is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2015, 05:58 PM   #2
Kevin.Cook

At 30k miles have you ever changed the pads and rotors? If not then it may be about time. Typical intervals for changing the pads for people "hard" on their brakes are 15k-20k miles. I have seen people go through them as fast as 10k miles. And if you have been driving with bad pads for a while, then the rotors either need resurfaced or replaced.
Old 01-04-2015, 06:10 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
At 60k I would get pads and rotors checked, replaced if needed, but definitely and at the very least flush and bleed the fluid. I've always done that every 20k at least.

I've never needed brakes before 60k but I'm not hard on them and do mostly highway driving.
Wysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2015, 06:14 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I have not changed the rotors or pads and I was planning on doing an overhaul next spring with new rotors, pads, brake fluid, stainless steel lines and I'll probably paint my calipers. However, I don't want to be driving on dangerously worn brakes and id like to check them to make sure she'll make it through the winter. Any idea how to go about that?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 01-04-2015, 06:38 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I have had my brake pads and rotors changed under warranty when I had my v6. However, it wasn't much improvement at all. Buy a set of EBC ultimax rotors for front, and hawk hps 5.0 pads for all 4 corners. And goes without saying dot 4 fluid and ss brake lines. This will really test your cars ABS system!!
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 06:43 PM   #6
Kevin.Cook

Some brake pads have a wear marker on them. Letting you know once they get past a certain point to change them. As for the rotors, you can check for uneven/abnormal wear on them or if there are uneven dips in the surface.
Old 01-05-2015, 05:45 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
I have never needed to replace brake pads at less than 60k on any car I have ever owned. I hope my Mustang pads don't need replaced at 30K.

One thing you might want to look at, my Mustang is in the shop right now because the master cylinder is leaking at 3 thousand miles. This could be another cheap faulty part they put on these cars. You might want to do a close inspection of yours.
BrewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 08:49 AM   #8
Kevin.Cook

It all depends on how much you brake and how hard you brake. If you do alot of highway driving, then the pads can easily be used go 50k+ miles. If you are in stop and go traffic all day, every day, and you brake hard. Then of course you would need to change them more frequently. Just like anything else that would get used alot.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:51 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
A good brake bleeding will do wonders for pedal feel, even on stock lines. Recommended interval for a good bleed is 40k miles, but you'd be surprised how nasty the fluid can get in half that time.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 09:13 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
A good brake bleeding will do wonders for pedal feel, even on stock lines. Recommended interval for a good bleed is 40k miles, but you'd be surprised how nasty the fluid can get in half that time.

Yep, 20k is about right for a good bleeding. You get air bubbles and condensation in the fluid.
Wysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 08:49 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I bled the brakes today and was rewarded with a much better brake feel. The fluid wasn't terrible discolored but I think there was some air in the lines. Thanks for your help guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 01-07-2015, 07:20 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Glad that worked for you.
Old 01-26-2015, 05:58 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

My front right brake pad and rotor don't appear to be wearing correctly. I have about 22k miles on the car, 50% highway so most of the pads probably have plenty of life yet. Should I try to just replace the one pad, or go ahead and get the rotor machined as well as replace the pad (see pictures below):

front right (appears abnormal):

front left (looks normal):
CUBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 09:29 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
I would be very leary of why you had air in your lines. That can only happen if you have a leak somewhere. My 2014 with 3100 miles is in the shop right now waiting for a SECOND new master cylinder. Check yours over carefully. Mine was leaking in the back where it was difficult to find. Both times.
BrewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 09:43 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CUBuffalo View Post
My front right brake pad and rotor don't appear to be wearing correctly. I have about 22k miles on the car, 50% highway so most of the pads probably have plenty of life yet. Should I try to just replace the one pad, or go ahead and get the rotor machined as well as replace the pad (see pictures below):

front right (appears abnormal):

front left (looks normal):
If it's only the one pad, I'd say that was not normal wear and it should be returned to the dealer. Sounds like the brake piston is sticking or the caliper is not centering for some reason. Don't let them give you the run-around. This is a malfunction and not normal wear and tear.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 09:05 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewGuy View Post
I would be very leary of why you had air in your lines. That can only happen if you have a leak somewhere. My 2014 with 3100 miles is in the shop right now waiting for a SECOND new master cylinder. Check yours over carefully. Mine was leaking in the back where it was difficult to find. Both times.

The fluid itself can degrade and absorb moisture, or in certain high performance (like on the track, VERY high performance) can boil and create moisture. Just because a bleeding fixes things does not necessarily mean there is air in the lines.

That being said, it does sound like your issue would certainly lead to some problems, though i feel that one would be few and far between. His mileage was about due for a good bleeding anyways.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang