strange cabin noise. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-05-2015, 07:08 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
strange cabin noise.

lately Ive been experiencing a ticking/fluttering sound from behind or under the dash area on the driver side. it only ticks/flutters under moderate or heavy acceleration and the noise coincides with the exhaust note/tone. anyone have any idea what it could be? thanks.
Cold Silence is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2015, 07:21 PM   #2
Kevin.Cook

Only time i had one of these problems with ticking was when the wind door actuators in my older Mustang went out. And time air would try to push through, the actuators would try to open and cause a ticking. I guess they have small gears in them where teeth break off.

Odd though in this scenario. Gonna try to get my Google-fu on.
Old 01-05-2015, 09:47 PM   #3
Kevin.Cook

strange cabin noise.

Ok another thing that comes to mind is under the car, i believe somewhere around the middle of the exhaust, there is a heat shield near it. Some people reported their exhaust hitting/scraping it at high speeds. May wanna get it on a lift and make sure the exhaust is not close to anything or making contact. Also, make sure there isn't alot of play (as in make sure the piping is secured with the hangars/brackets. And make sure all of the bolts are tight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2015, 10:19 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

yeah ill check the exhaust but I dont think its rubbing anything. plus the sound is very distinctly coming from the dash area. maybe the sound is traveling that far?? and speed has nothing to do with the noise either. only throttle. the more i throttle the noisier it gets. but its in almost perfect harmony with the exhaust tone. strange. so maybe it is related. ill let you know what i find.
Old 01-05-2015, 10:55 PM   #5
Kevin.Cook

You could always take off your intake and look inside. Make sure there isnt any debris inside. Also check your throttle body.

You could also get under your dash and make sure the accelerator pedal is secure and nothing funky going on with it.
Old 01-06-2015, 01:10 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Rhode Island
I kind of had the same issue a few months back but for me it turned out to be a loose exhaust clamp and the radiator cover taping the intake shield. So you might want to check out your exhaust. Does it run alright?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Deadreckoning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 04:32 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Well I had finally got a chance in which I wasn't working and it wasn't too cold out to start digging into where the noise was coming from and it turned out to be the exhaust after all. just sounded like under the dash because of the location and how it was echoing under the hood. I found a missing nut on the driver side where the x-pipe bolts to my shorties. must of worked its way off somehow. probably wasn't torqued enough. new nut and lock washer. problem solved. thanks guys.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang