Spoiler installation cost - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-06-2015, 03:46 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Spoiler installation cost

About to purchase a gt500 spoiler from American Muscle and was wondering the price you guys paid to have it installed. My mustang doesn't have a stock spoiler and I don't really feel comfortable drilling into my new car so I'll leave that to some professionals. Any info helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
ScottDonovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2015, 03:58 AM   #2
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Hard to say, as body shops that would perform this type of service vary from location and state. Not sure what the hourly rate is in your area, but in Florida, it's around $90.00 per hour.

Does the spoiler come with a template that can be placed on the surface of the trunk to mark the hole locations?

I's not that difficult to drill the holes. The "trick" is to place a large section of masking tape at the location of where you would be drilling the holes. The tape prevents the drill bit from "walking", as well as the paint from chipping. Once the holes have been drilled, remove the tape, and take any type of automotive touchup paint to dab around the inner hole (even though its hidden, you want to prevent any water from getting into that hole and rusting; the paint would protect the fresh metal that is exposed from drilling).

However, if you are uncomfortable with this (understandable), then the best bet would be to simply make some calls to local body shops and ask what they would charge. I'd have to say (from doing this myself) that it would not take longer than one hour.

Also try calling your local Ford dealership; they usually have a body shop, or have a prefered one they use for this sort of service.
Old 01-06-2015, 08:39 AM   #3
Kevin.Cook

In the Austin, TX area I was able to get mine mounted and installed for about $90. They drilled the holes and everything. I did not have a template for drilling.

The good thing about the GT500 spoiler, is it is very hard to mess up the install. It has small indentions on the bottom of it to allow it to sit perfectly on the hood. Even the shop that did the install said it was a no brainer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2015, 08:41 AM   #4
Kevin.Cook

When I was going to do mine, most Ford shops said they would only install the spoiler if I ordered it through them. And it comes unpainted. So then they would have to paint it and install it. For parts, paint, and labor, they wanted to charge around $1,000.

From AM i got the spoiler for $320-$330, had it overnighted to me, and have the shop install it for less then half of what the dealer wanted. And it came pre-painted!
Old 01-06-2015, 10:01 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
A local dealership here wanted $180 to install, 2 hours of labor ... no thanks.

The AM Gt500 spoiler only had 2 studs / nuts, so its really a simple process. I just measured in and drilled the holes larger than was needed, and used a large washer to center the wing using the larger hole. No need to be exact. I lined the wing and holes with 3m tape and its centered, snug, and water tight. Easily done at home if you're thorough, although i certainly understand having reservations about wanting to do it.
Voltwings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 10:09 AM   #6
Site Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottDonovan View Post
About to purchase a gt500 spoiler from American Muscle and was wondering the price you guys paid to have it installed. My mustang doesn't have a stock spoiler and I don't really feel comfortable drilling into my new car so I'll leave that to some professionals. Any info helps!

Hey Scott - It's really tough to say and I hate to throw out estimates as they vary from shop to shop. Our best recommendation would be to get a few estimates around locally!

Let me know if there's anything I can ever help out with, I'm a PM away.

Alex
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG & 2017 RAPTOR!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMAlexLazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 10:36 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
I paid $50 to get my GT/CS spoiler installed. It's not a difficult install so don't go anywhere that will cost you and arm and a leg for it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 01-06-2015, 10:38 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connor323 View Post
I paid $50 to get my GT/CS spoiler installed. It's not a difficult install so don't go anywhere that will cost you and arm and a leg for it.

Not difficult? Then why pay someone to do it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 10:39 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Lol i'll meet him in the middle that at $50 i would have just paid someone. Just because i can do it myself doesnt always mean i want to -_-
Old 01-06-2015, 10:39 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Sorry, I should've said not difficult for a professional.

Old 01-06-2015, 10:42 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

And I had just gotten the car and had relatively little experience with that sort of stuff. I was in the same position as the OP. I didn't feel comfortable drilling holes into my new car.

Old 01-06-2015, 10:50 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I wasn't comfortable at first but given shops around me wanted upwards of $120 I decided to do it myself which was an easy install. Bought some tape and quality drill bits which ended up being a good investment anyways.
Just take it slow use tape where you need it.
Then again at $50 I might have just had a shop do it.
Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
jonyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 12:00 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
A local dealership here wanted $180 to install, 2 hours of labor ... no thanks.

The AM Gt500 spoiler only had 2 studs / nuts, so its really a simple process. I just measured in and drilled the holes larger than was needed, and used a large washer to center the wing using the larger hole. No need to be exact. I lined the wing and holes with 3m tape and its centered, snug, and water tight. Easily done at home if you're thorough, although i certainly understand having reservations about wanting to do it.
Its been a couple of years since I did my gt500 spoiler, but I thought it was not two but four? Then again I didn't have a spoiler to begin with so maybe you only need two if you already had the OEM one.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 12:12 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I did mine last Christmas and would have sworn it had 4 as well, but we just did my Fiance's a week or 2 ago and there were only 2 (the inner most 2). I even ran my hand all along under the wing and couldn't even feel where two other studs / bolts would go... maybe i'll pull my trunk liner off one evening and compare.
Old 01-11-2015, 11:44 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via Yahoo to roushMarlon831
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1420998227.314307.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	173346
Got mine Installed for $100 and they had to drill 8 holes since it came with no spoiler
roushMarlon831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 03:12 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

My local body shop installed it for 75 bucks. 4 holes and it looks great!Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1421399547.810740.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	173617

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
ScottDonovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 04:14 AM   #17
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
One other bit of information: once the GT500 spoiler is installed, its doubtfull that you will remove it and install the factory spoiler. Right before I sold my Mustang, I removed the GT500 spoiler with intensions to sell it; when I removed it, it had placed some "lines" in the paint that would show with the smaller factory spoiler, so it got left on and sold with it.

Also, do not over tighten the bolts underneath! Otherwise the threaded studs in the spoiler itself will strip, and the spoiler will not come off unless you drill the studs out.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang