Driveshaft Swap - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-06-2015, 04:49 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Driveshaft Swap

So I managed to snag a 1 piece finally. I'm going to wait until I get the DS Loop and Upper control arm to install it, but I did have a question regarding the pinion angle.

Since my car is only dropped about 1 inch all the way around, does anyone happen to know the proper pinion angle for that? Or know of a good method to find the angle?

Not too familiar with it, I figured I could buy an angle finder but I don't know the process.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2015, 05:11 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Sent an email to kelly regarding this same question just yesterday. For automatics he stated that the pinion angle on an automatic should be 1-2 degress negative. Manuals should be about 3-4 nevative i believe.

Android market has a good app "lever" which is pretty useful in measuring the transmission angle and angle from the flange of the driveshaft.

Bmr has a good video and manual on there website regarding the angle ect
RomanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 05:15 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanG View Post
Sent an email to kelly regarding this same question just yesterday. For automatics he stated that the pinion angle on an automatic should be 1-2 degress negative. Manuals should be about 3-4 nevative i believe.

Android market has a good app "lever" which is pretty useful in measuring the transmission angle and angle from the flange of the driveshaft.

Bmr has a good video and manual on there website regarding the angle ect
Sweet, I'll check them out. Much appreciated.

2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2015, 01:39 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
What I'm wondering is it really necessary to worry about pinion angle on cars with 1-piece driveshafts, especially with only a 1" drop.

Here's my reasoning...

The "triangle" or angle for pinion before (top/black) was from the mid-point of the 2-piece driveshaft where there was loop holding the middle in place. If you change the start of the triangle to a length roughly twice as long with a 1-piece DS (bottom/green), the angle should only be about 1/2 as much.

So normally when you drop the car 1" lets say it might change the angle 3 degrees, well when you drop the car 1" with a 1-piece driveshaft the change should only be about 1.5 degrees (or half). RIGHT ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	driveshaft.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	15.9 KB
ID:	174423  
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 01:52 PM   #5
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
The most important part of the pinion angle is that the rear axle and the transmission are directly facing each other. Just like the picture above, imagine one ned of the green line is the transmission and the other end is the rear axle.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 02:03 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I asked the same question of my stepdad who used to drive pro mod for several years and now has his own shop along with my brother and his shop and the consensus of people tell me a 1" drop will change the angle but by such a small amount it's negligble.

That being said, I just got my digital angle finder in and I'll take readings before/after just to be safe.

Old 01-28-2015, 08:51 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by c_rizzle View Post
What I'm wondering is it really necessary to worry about pinion angle on cars with 1-piece driveshafts, especially with only a 1" drop.

Here's my reasoning...

The "triangle" or angle for pinion before (top/black) was from the mid-point of the 2-piece driveshaft where there was loop holding the middle in place. If you change the start of the triangle to a length roughly twice as long with a 1-piece DS (bottom/green), the angle should only be about 1/2 as much.

So normally when you drop the car 1" lets say it might change the angle 3 degrees, well when you drop the car 1" with a 1-piece driveshaft the change should only be about 1.5 degrees (or half). RIGHT ?

Aside from just angles that can affect NVH and cause the "vibration" when not aligned properly, the load on the pinion flange also increases and you can prematurely wear out a lot of parts in the rear end if its not aligned properly.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 10:35 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Is a UCA mount as important as I've heard when adding an adjustable UCA?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
08Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 12:40 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08Mustang View Post
Is a UCA mount as important as I've heard when adding an adjustable UCA?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Yep. Without it you'll get that hard clunk and the alignment may be slightly off.

Old 01-29-2015, 01:38 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Yeah, I regret not getting a new mount with my UCA. Living with that clunk for some time now haha. Alignment is perfect though

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang