Newbie with a questions - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-07-2015, 05:57 AM   #1
Region: California
Newbie with a questions

I got a 2014 v6 mustang back in august, and I've steadily been stalking the forums, researching and learning more about my mustang and modifications with it. The first I do want to do is a gear change and tune, with that I tried going through the old forums, but the majority of what I read applied to autos, mine is a manual, it was hinted that made a difference but not necessarily how it made or difference, or what difference it made exactly in picking gears?

Right now my mustang is bone stock, and I am in the air between 3.73 and 4.10, everyone and their mother is telling me to get 3.73 because it is my DD, but I also lean towards 4.10 because i don't really plan on FI with it (not that i don't want it, but being 20 years old its not really good budgeting skills right now) I defiantly plan on making it a sleeper, and after gears and tune, my next move would be wheels/tires and suspension, i have no plans of any exterior mods. i found a good place where i live, that will really hook me up with a gear install, tune it for me, show me how to tune, and sell me the tuner, all for around 800-1000, so that ultimately leads me to my question.

Being a manual, is it better to go 3.73 or 4.10, considering it will more then likely stay N/A, and which is the better tune to go with for manual?

Noah2236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 06:58 AM   #2
Registered Member
Region: Canada
I went from 2.73s to 3.73s in my 13 manual and couldn't be happier. 3.55s for me would have been a good choice also but 4.10s I'd feel would have been a tad to much gear for me. If your a dd than I'd do 3.73s or 3.55s, they will both pull nicely off the line while not killing your mpgs. Hands down gears were my best mod so far with my tuner, you won't be disappointed.
As for tunes I use bama and I'm very happy with them, but others that have both bama and mpt say that the mpt is the way to go. Also with bama you get free tunes for life if you buy the tuner from them, if not I believe its 150$ for the free tunes for life enrolment.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 03:16 PM   #3
Registered Member
I have an 11 with the pp so it had 3.27 gears and I went with 3.73 and honestly its a perfect gear I think 4.10 will end up being too steep, as these cars are geared a little funny to begin with. If I cruise on the hw I can still average about 28mpg so I can't complain. Only problem was after the gear change with stock tires first gear would just blow the tires so I would have to ease into it.
Lan_Evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 01:24 AM   #4
Registered Member
The top speed of the car aerodynamically is about 155mph. Redline in 6th with manual and 3.73 gears is a tiny bit over 150mph. It's basically the sweet spot in terms of power and speed.

MPG will drop a couple. No big deal. Note that the maximum safe speed of the driveshaft will drop to about 110-120mph due to the gear change (right around where the limiter is now). If you plan to race it you will need to swap the driveshaft as well.
JOberlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 05:50 AM   #5

Region: Florida
I think 4:10 is too steep for a daily type driver car. If you planed to use this Mustang to have fun at the strip, then the 4:10's would be great, but not for a primary street daily driver.

3:73 is the wiser choice in this case.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
bucko is online now   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang