Mustang Evolution Forum banner

AFFORDABLE TURBO FOR 3.7 cyclone V6

26K views 60 replies 14 participants last post by  2011fastford 
#1 ·
#38 ·
You have to throw up the Rap symbol. He's not the hero this forum needs ... he's the one it deserves...

At any rate, in regards to the STS turbos. Its a neat idea on paper, but really falls short in a couple of places.
Thats a LOT of piping, on both the turbine and compressor side. Now, in theory, the air behind simply displaces the air in front, so once you're in boost it should all be fine. That being said, the transient response would likely resemble a turbo that is much larger in size.

Hot exhaust gases are what spool a turbo. Its not just physically the exhaust moving past the turbine, the physical heat energy is what actually spools most of a turbo. By the time the exhaust gets from the headers to the mufflers it has cooled a significant amount. However, in cooling it has also condensed so ... maybe it wont be so bad, i dont know.

Before the days of Oil-less turbos, having to run oil lines from the back of the car to the front was also sketchy ... just a lot of room for things to go wrong. Also, the underside of the car is supposed to be a low pressure zone, i have a feeling the turbo would really struggle for efficiency under there.

I dont know, all in all i guess it would work, but it really just not ideal in many ways. As much as i'm not a fan, for the money, i think i would have to agree on the nitrous kit.

Attachments

#42 ·
#45 ·
Go for it and add anything to it you think needs to be there.

+1 on the power adder section.

#44 ·
I saw a used Vortech setup today on craigslist for 2k

eta just checked and it is for a 4.0 so nevermind

#50 ·
Hmmm, thats not exactly true. The wastegates on most turbos are 100% open when daily driving, by passing the turbine almost entirely. Its almost as if it wasnt there at all. A procharger on the other hand, is constantly building boost, which is being bled off by the bypass valve to avoid the engine actually seeing positive pressure until its requested. If anything, the supercharger is putting more constant wear on the engine, although at daily driving levels its virtually irrelevant.

#53 ·
This is an interesting thread so I will throw my two cents in. I suppose the main downside of NOS is that you only have a few shots available at any given time. I really like having the power available any time I might run across an SS, SRT8, 5.0, Boss, etc. that wants to play. That being said, it does get costly to put together a reliable turbo system you can depend on for an extended period. I have over 25,000 miles on mine and it still performs really well. I only run 7.5 pounds of boost, but totally satisfied with what the car will do. Just had it tuned again this week with the ID injectors, 3.55 gears, and Boost a Pump. It logged 400 HP and 450 Foot pounds of torque. It will spin the 18x275 NItto 555s in third gear. Don't think I need any more.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution

#56 ·
That's what I am likin about the idea of nitrous...I am not putting constant wear on the engine. Only when I want and need.

I am being old by a tuner though that he does not recommend nitrous...because it is not for inexperienced. He says you need to have the gauge with the PSI to make sure the pressure is right, which means bottle heater, which also means purging before use...he advised me against it.

He said it puts stress on the bottom end a lot more than supercharger (which is what he is steering me towards).

Only issue is I do not have 8 grand...

Also...with a micro switch on the pedal or a newer electronic monitoring switch for the throttle, I can make sure it does not fire until I am at full throttle....being conservative with 100 shot and not more, should be ok right ?

Thoughts ?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#57 ·
100 shot should be no big deal for a 3.7, assuming it's tuned correctly and used properly.

I have sprayed a 150 shot or more on my 99 Z28 since 2006 with no issue. I know guys who have sprayed 2v 4.6's and Honda's for years on a 100 shot with no issues.

It all comes down to how you use it and how safe your tune is. Get a good tune and use it responsibly and you will have no issues .. except when you need to refill the bottle.

#58 ·
But how does the tune work ? Do you need a tune JUST for when you spray ? Then what the rest of the time ?? Change tune out ?

If you are running a good dyno tune to give you great performance daily...and want to add nitrous, what do you do regarding the tune ?

#59 ·
Generally on nitrous, they take your DD tune and basically pull the timing a little just to be safe. You are probably looking at less than a 10 whp difference between a nitrous tune and a regular tune. It also depends on the size of the shot as well.

So for a 150 shot, you may be down 10 whp. On a 100 shot, you might be down 3 whp or they may not pull any.

The numbers are theoretical but in all honesty, less than 10 whp between a standard tune and a nitrous tune are likely for maybe up to 125 -150 shot. You could always disable the nitrous and run your standard tune also, then when going to a track or whatever, load your nitrous tune and enable the nitrous.

#61 ·
nitrous is not cheap by any means if you want to put together a good reliable kit..
things you want
window switch
bottle heater
purge kit
bottle opener

none of these accessories are "needed" but here's why you should get them

window switch- allows you to spray the car at a certian rpm and then shut the spray off when the car reachs the rpm you want it to cut out on

bottle heater- a bottle heater is probably the safest way to get your bottle to ideal psi. 900-1200 imo but there are some tricks like running your bottle in hot water

purge kit- you dont need a purge but they are great because they clear the line of unwanted air and allow you to get the hardest nitrous hit possible

bottle opener- unless your bottle is mounted in the front seat where you can open it.. these are pretty useful, say a pesky camaro rolls up and wants to race and you dont have a bottle opener??? what do you do? ask him hey wait let me pop my trunk and open my bottle real quick.. lol nope with just a flick of a witch your bottle is open and you can spray the house down

after all this stuff i was about 2k into my nitrous kit plus it cost 4$ a pound so if you gotta a 10lb bottle thats $40 a fill up and trust me it doesnt last long at all

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.