Mustang Evolution Forum banner

AFFORDABLE TURBO FOR 3.7 cyclone V6

26K views 60 replies 14 participants last post by  2011fastford 
#1 ·
#2 ·
I dont think it works that easy. You would need more piping and something to do with headers I believe.. and more..

#3 ·
No. Just no.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#4 ·
never ever buy a universal turbo kit off ebay for our cars. there is certain things you can be cheap on when buying car parts. But superchargers and turbos are not one of them. stick with kits made for our mustangs from reputable companies.

#6 ·
you need the proper size piping for your mustang. im sure the piping in that universal kit is too small that kit is meant more for import cars honda/acura etc. that blow off valve most likely wont work. universal kits you have to have a shop bend or modify the pipes to work with your car thats another expense. The t3/t4 turbos are good for imports with smaller motors but that turbo may not work well on our bigger motors. I cant remember what size turbo the kits for mustangs come with it meant be bigger. That intercooler will need to be modified some or your bumper will to get it to fit right. Kits made for mustangs normally dont require much modification.

#7 ·
It could work until it blows up. Sure.

#8 ·
There is a lot more science that goes into designing a turbo kit than simply putting a turbo on a car. Compressor sizing, turbine sizing, Ar sizing... all these determine not only how well a motor can handle a turbo, but also how well a turbo can handle a motor. The pressure in an exhaust manifold is often 2x that in the intake manifold, so if not built, tuned, designed properly, its very possible to end up with pretty poor performance or some NASTY knock when that back pressure gets back past the exhaust valves.

We found the limit of the hotside on a turbo car we tuned here not too long ago. Things were smooth sailing at 30 psi, 31 psi ... 32 psi however, instant like 5-6* of knock or so, it was just flat out not happy. I was criticized by a certain 3.7 turbo vendor for, and i quote, "trying to make this **** too scientific" but the reality is there is quite a lot of thought and trial / error that goes into a turbo kit. Hell, and thats literally just sizing the turbo, then theres the entire rest of the kit to consider...

#10 ·
Okay there are a lot of nay-sayers here, and they are not out of the water. But ill tell you straight up, you CAN piece together a forced induction system. There is nothing wrong with that as long as you do the supporting mods like tunes and bigger injectors.

With those $500 ebay turbos though, you are looking at an untrustworthy turbo. They can disintegrate easily and fill your cyclone 3.7 up with some nice shrapnel, so that $500 turbo is going to cost you a lot more than $500 if you run it long.

WHat I would say is piece it all together, run low boost, get it tuned and whatnot, but don't put more than 200 miles on that turbo. Save up for a used garret or something and rebuild it so the seals don't piss all the oil out of your engine and into the intake.

#11 ·
No one is saying you can't piece your own together, but you can't for $500 and expect quality parts.

#15 ·
Yeah I know you guys weren't being totally close minded. I agree with your view on the Ebay turbo. They aren't a turbo that I would rely on. ANd I do some really stupid **** with cars. (ask my dad) but id say they have their place. Rear mounted, low boost, very temporary situation. Unless you have a way to make sure that zero shrapnel could go into your engine. Maybe some sort of filter in the charge pipe that can stay in place under boost but still not let too much junk go past it

#18 ·
Has anyone done an STS style setup? Like putting the turbos where the mufflers are ?

That diminishes "risk" a lot right ? Isn't that the ecoBoost concept ? Create a vacuum...instead of pushing pressure in.

Guys, I don't have 10 grand to spend...I'm trying to find more affordable ways here.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#19 ·
Forced induction isn't cheap, period end of story. You'll spend at least 4-6k for a quality pre-built set up. You could possibly piece together your own for a bit cheaper but that's going to come with trial and error.

#24 ·
Oh damn. I forgot this was the cyclone section... just think about it this was, you can do it cheaply and it may work or it may not. But if it trashes your engine you are spending the money anyways in the end.

05 Gt Premium Performance White, flowmaster outlaws, Jlt Series 3, Bama 91r tune

#25 ·
In the end, it's your car. Do what you want, but we've just advised this is not an area where you want to penny pinch.
You could get a bargain basement kit, with bargain basement quality. It might run fine for a while, but when something does happen, it's going to be a very expensive something and there goes the difference between that kit and a quality kit.

#30 ·
In addition to every thing else, if you look more closely at that site, under compatible vehicles. Mustang is not one of them.

#33 ·
The turbo itself is junk :p
To put it into perspective, my turbo (just the turbo)
Is about 1500.

The real... boss 227

---------- Post added at 09:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:15 PM ----------

And to expect an entire kit for 500 is ludacris

The real... boss 227

#48 ·
Your engine internals don't really care if the extra 100 horse comes from a turbo or a bottle of nitrous, you just cant spray at too low of an RPM or the engine wont consume it as fast as its coming in. The excess nitrous is what causes problems, and typically only is a problem for beginners or people that got careless.

The thing about a turbo is, you are going to be adding power to the engine all the damn time with it. With nitrous, you might spray it 5 times a month for a WOT pull against some other car in the interstate.

#39 ·
As far as I know, nobody has sprayed a 150 shot on a 3.7.

I was going to spray my car and likely would do it on a 150 shot. However, I have had several major issues with my car which has basically stopped the idea of nitrous or further modifications.

I believe a 100 - 125 shot would be 100% safe with a good tune and plugs. A 150 shot may eventually take it's toll on the engine without being a progressive shot or a second stage (75+75 for a 150). However, the cyclone has proven itself to be a rather stout engine so I think, honestly, a straight 150 shot is likely the most you could get away with safely on spray.

You would be looking at around $1500 - $1800 for everything including a tune, assuming you do the work yourself.

A nitrous setup will be hard to beat in the dollar per HP department.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.