AFFORDABLE TURBO FOR 3.7 cyclone V6 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-07-2015, 12:27 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
AFFORDABLE TURBO FOR 3.7 cyclone V6

Hey y'all...

What's up with this turbo kit on eBay for $500 ? There are a few of them...and being "universal" in theory they should work with a V6 Mustang right ?

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=380857928523

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
grom80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2015, 12:31 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
I dont think it works that easy. You would need more piping and something to do with headers I believe.. and more..
-SOLD-13.246s@107.81 RaceRed 2013 v6 Mustang, 3.73 gears, MPT 91Race Tune, Axle-Back Straight Pipe, Tower Brace, BMR LCA's, BBK Shorty Headers, BMR Relocation Brackets, Lethal Performance X-Pipe Catless.
-2008 Civic SI...
RaceRed3.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 12:41 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

No. Just no.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2015, 12:47 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

never ever buy a universal turbo kit off ebay for our cars. there is certain things you can be cheap on when buying car parts. But superchargers and turbos are not one of them. stick with kits made for our mustangs from reputable companies.
AirRaid CAI, BBK Ceramic LT Headers, BBK Catted X Pipe, Borla ATAK, MPT 93/97 Tune, Steeda LCA's and UCA, Steeda Relocation Brackets, 373 gears, WaveTrac LSD, Dynotech Driveshaft. Prothane Motor Mounts, Whiteline adjustable panhard bar & brace.Ground Control Coilovers with Koni's custom valved. Coming soon Circle D 3800 Stall and Lone Wolf Intake Manifold.
willb2305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 12:59 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I mean sure, it sounds too good to be true...extra piping, not really a problem...but my question is : I am sure proper kits that cost 5k are better, but ccould this work ? Even with light boost...
Old 01-07-2015, 01:08 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

you need the proper size piping for your mustang. im sure the piping in that universal kit is too small that kit is meant more for import cars honda/acura etc. that blow off valve most likely wont work. universal kits you have to have a shop bend or modify the pipes to work with your car thats another expense. The t3/t4 turbos are good for imports with smaller motors but that turbo may not work well on our bigger motors. I cant remember what size turbo the kits for mustangs come with it meant be bigger. That intercooler will need to be modified some or your bumper will to get it to fit right. Kits made for mustangs normally dont require much modification.
AirRaid CAI, BBK Ceramic LT Headers, BBK Catted X Pipe, Borla ATAK, MPT 93/97 Tune, Steeda LCA's and UCA, Steeda Relocation Brackets, 373 gears, WaveTrac LSD, Dynotech Driveshaft. Prothane Motor Mounts, Whiteline adjustable panhard bar & brace.Ground Control Coilovers with Koni's custom valved. Coming soon Circle D 3800 Stall and Lone Wolf Intake Manifold.
willb2305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 01:08 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

It could work until it blows up. Sure.

2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
Old 01-07-2015, 01:51 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
There is a lot more science that goes into designing a turbo kit than simply putting a turbo on a car. Compressor sizing, turbine sizing, Ar sizing... all these determine not only how well a motor can handle a turbo, but also how well a turbo can handle a motor. The pressure in an exhaust manifold is often 2x that in the intake manifold, so if not built, tuned, designed properly, its very possible to end up with pretty poor performance or some NASTY knock when that back pressure gets back past the exhaust valves.

We found the limit of the hotside on a turbo car we tuned here not too long ago. Things were smooth sailing at 30 psi, 31 psi ... 32 psi however, instant like 5-6* of knock or so, it was just flat out not happy. I was criticized by a certain 3.7 turbo vendor for, and i quote, "trying to make this **** too scientific" but the reality is there is quite a lot of thought and trial / error that goes into a turbo kit. Hell, and thats literally just sizing the turbo, then theres the entire rest of the kit to consider...
Voltwings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 01:57 PM   #9
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
There is a lot more science that goes into designing a turbo kit than simply putting a turbo on a car. Compressor sizing, turbine sizing, Ar sizing... all these determine not only how well a motor can handle a turbo, but also how well a turbo can handle a motor. The pressure in an exhaust manifold is often 2x that in the intake manifold, so if not built, tuned, designed properly, its very possible to end up with pretty poor performance or some NASTY knock when that back pressure gets back past the exhaust valves.

We found the limit of the hotside on a turbo car we tuned here not too long ago. Things were smooth sailing at 30 psi, 31 psi ... 32 psi however, instant like 5-6* of knock or so, it was just flat out not happy. I was criticized by a certain 3.7 turbo vendor for, and i quote, "trying to make this **** too scientific" but the reality is there is quite a lot of thought and trial / error that goes into a turbo kit. Hell, and thats literally just sizing the turbo, then theres the entire rest of the kit to consider...
.... what science involved in a major engine modification? Can't be..

05 Gt Premium Performance White, flowmaster outlaws, Jlt Series 3, Bama 91r tune
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 01:57 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Okay there are a lot of nay-sayers here, and they are not out of the water. But ill tell you straight up, you CAN piece together a forced induction system. There is nothing wrong with that as long as you do the supporting mods like tunes and bigger injectors.

With those $500 ebay turbos though, you are looking at an untrustworthy turbo. They can disintegrate easily and fill your cyclone 3.7 up with some nice shrapnel, so that $500 turbo is going to cost you a lot more than $500 if you run it long.

WHat I would say is piece it all together, run low boost, get it tuned and whatnot, but don't put more than 200 miles on that turbo. Save up for a used garret or something and rebuild it so the seals don't piss all the oil out of your engine and into the intake.
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 01:59 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther140 View Post
Okay there are a lot of nay-sayers here, and they are not out of the water. But ill tell you straight up, you CAN piece together a forced induction system. There is nothing wrong with that as long as you do the supporting mods like tunes and bigger injectors.

With those $500 ebay turbos though, you are looking at an untrustworthy turbo. They can disintegrate easily and fill your cyclone 3.7 up with some nice shrapnel, so that $500 turbo is going to cost you a lot more than $500 if you run it long.

WHat I would say is piece it all together, run low boost, get it tuned and whatnot, but don't put more than 200 miles on that turbo. Save up for a used garret or something and rebuild it so the seals don't piss all the oil out of your engine and into the intake.
No one is saying you can't piece your own together, but you can't for $500 and expect quality parts.

Old 01-07-2015, 02:00 PM   #12
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:

Definitely nothing wrong in piecing stuff together as long as it is done right. But you for sure what a better turbo as stated.

05 Gt Premium Performance White, flowmaster outlaws, Jlt Series 3, Bama 91r tune
Old 01-07-2015, 02:03 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yeah id imagine the science becomes a lot more integral when you are pushing it closer to the edge (15psi+) This guy just wants probably 5 psi of boost or something like that. I think rear mounting a turbo and running low boost isn't going to cause issues outside of what is to be expected.

You definitely do bring up good/interesting points about how it affects exhaust flow and creates a chain reaction with combustion. I wonder if anybody has ever rigged up a sort of pressure relief valve in the actual exhaust to prevent positive pressure from backing into the engine. I imagine that would be an interesting sound when it blows pressure off haha
Old 01-07-2015, 02:11 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah id imagine the science becomes a lot more integral when you are pushing it closer to the edge (15psi+) This guy just wants probably 5 psi of boost or something like that. I think rear mounting a turbo and running low boost isn't going to cause issues outside of what is to be expected.

You definitely do bring up good/interesting points about how it affects exhaust flow and creates a chain reaction with combustion. I wonder if anybody has ever rigged up a sort of pressure relief valve in the actual exhaust to prevent positive pressure from backing into the engine. I imagine that would be an interesting sound when it blows pressure off haha

"boost" is subjective, its just a measure of resistance between your compressor and cylinder head. 20 psi from the stock focus ST turbo =/= 20 psi from a 100mm turbo you know. Air flow is what matters, but more air in still means more air out and "5 psi" from that kit could still be enough to cause issues if the turbo is too small.

It may not cause "issues," but its obviously not going to run anywhere near as well as a proper kit, but i believe that goes without saying.

As far as "releasing" the pressure in the exhaust manifold, that pressure is in part what is spooling the turbo, and that "release" is typically done in the form of an External wastegate of sorts... that's not explicitly an EWG's function, but to an extent that is a purpose it serves.
Old 01-07-2015, 02:31 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I know you guys weren't being totally close minded. I agree with your view on the Ebay turbo. They aren't a turbo that I would rely on. ANd I do some really stupid **** with cars. (ask my dad) but id say they have their place. Rear mounted, low boost, very temporary situation. Unless you have a way to make sure that zero shrapnel could go into your engine. Maybe some sort of filter in the charge pipe that can stay in place under boost but still not let too much junk go past it
Old 01-07-2015, 02:36 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

The intercooler would serve to catch most big chunks. Why do you say rear mounted?
Old 01-07-2015, 02:42 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
"boost" is subjective, its just a measure of resistance between your compressor and cylinder head. 20 psi from the stock focus ST turbo =/= 20 psi from a 100mm turbo you know. Air flow is what matters, but more air in still means more air out and "5 psi" from that kit could still be enough to cause issues if the turbo is too small.

It may not cause "issues," but its obviously not going to run anywhere near as well as a proper kit, but i believe that goes without saying.

As far as "releasing" the pressure in the exhaust manifold, that pressure is in part what is spooling the turbo, and that "release" is typically done in the form of an External wastegate of sorts... that's not explicitly an EWG's function, but to an extent that is a purpose it serves.

Yeah that makes sense to me when you point that out. If the turbo inlet flows about as good as a straw, and the charge side has to flow 5 tons of air just to make 5 psi
Old 01-07-2015, 04:21 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Has anyone done an STS style setup? Like putting the turbos where the mufflers are ?

That diminishes "risk" a lot right ? Isn't that the ecoBoost concept ? Create a vacuum...instead of pushing pressure in.

Guys, I don't have 10 grand to spend...I'm trying to find more affordable ways here.

Old 01-07-2015, 04:23 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by grom80 View Post
Has anyone done an STS style setup? Like putting the turbos where the mufflers are ?

That diminishes "risk" a lot right ? Isn't that the ecoBoost concept ? Create a vacuum...instead of pushing pressure in.

Guys, I don't have 10 grand to spend...I'm trying to find more affordable ways here.

Forced induction isn't cheap, period end of story. You'll spend at least 4-6k for a quality pre-built set up. You could possibly piece together your own for a bit cheaper but that's going to come with trial and error.

Old 01-07-2015, 05:07 PM   #20
Registered Member

Regular

You got to pay to play.
Cise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 05:15 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Sure...but what game for what money...I am sure there is a way to do something decent without spending 7k
Old 01-07-2015, 05:19 PM   #22
Registered Member

Regular

The on3 kit is a decent start

Old 01-07-2015, 05:37 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

They do not make it for the cyclone engine...
Old 01-07-2015, 05:43 PM   #24
Registered Member

Regular

Oh damn. I forgot this was the cyclone section... just think about it this was, you can do it cheaply and it may work or it may not. But if it trashes your engine you are spending the money anyways in the end.

Old 01-07-2015, 05:44 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

In the end, it's your car. Do what you want, but we've just advised this is not an area where you want to penny pinch.
You could get a bargain basement kit, with bargain basement quality. It might run fine for a while, but when something does happen, it's going to be a very expensive something and there goes the difference between that kit and a quality kit.

Old 01-07-2015, 05:46 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

I understand that...
Do you guys think doing the rear mount like STS does limits damage if it does go ?
Old 01-07-2015, 05:49 PM   #27
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
I understand that...
Do you guys think doing the rear mount like STS does limits damage if it does go ?
I'm not sure what he is referring toi

Old 01-07-2015, 05:50 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I understand that...
A cheap turbo next to a plastic gas tank. Sounds like trouble.

Old 01-07-2015, 05:51 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Didn't think about the gas tank...yikes !!
Old 01-07-2015, 05:53 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Hey y'all...

What's up with this turbo kit on eBay for $500 ? There are a few of them...and being "universal" in theory they should work with a V6 Mustang right ?

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=380857928523

In addition to every thing else, if you look more closely at that site, under compatible vehicles. Mustang is not one of them.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 05:53 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Old 01-07-2015, 07:50 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I would suggest either going with a used turbo system off of something, or just going with a different power adder.
Nitrous is perfectly fine when done right, and you could have a top notch 100% solid nitrous system for the price of a Jerry-rigged crappy half assed turbo set up. NOt trying to be negative, but I am trying to say that nitrous is going to be more "bang" for your buck
Old 01-07-2015, 09:15 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
The turbo itself is junk :p
To put it into perspective, my turbo (just the turbo)
Is about 1500.

The real... boss 227

---------- Post added at 09:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:15 PM ----------

And to expect an entire kit for 500 is ludacris

The real... boss 227
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 12:28 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Will the cyclone handle the nitrous without a built motor ?

Old 01-08-2015, 12:46 AM   #35
Registered Member

Regular

I think it was discussed somewhere on here that a 150 shot might be the max on stock internals. I think Rap might know if he shows up. I think you can summon him into threads like Beetlejuice...
Cise is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang