Automatic Transmission slipping? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-09-2015, 09:36 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Automatic Transmission slipping?

Whenever my car shifts into 4th it revs up first and then shifts. It does it every time, I've had the car since july and it has 63k miles on it (bought it with 56k) Any ideas as to why this happening and how I could fix it? My dad just got his transmission rebuilt for around 3,000. I'm really hoping it wont be that costly. Could getting the transmission fluid changed possibly fix this issue? That's what I'm thinking it could be right now. I'm going to be taking it to the dealer next week but i wanted someone's thoughts on what could be wrong first.
Ferr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2015, 09:50 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Automatic transmissions are hydraulic, and same as the brakes, they need to be bled (really just a whole system flush) periodically. I would say it is time for yours to get that done with that many miles. My old 01 with ... i think it had around 75k miles at the time was having the same issue.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 07:49 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona

I'm not sure this is still the case with newer cars, but I've had mechanics in the past tell me "if it's not flushed regularly(every 30-45k) during the life of the transmission, don't flush it with higher milage, just change the fluid and filter(if you have one)". This was a trusted family friend so I sort of believe him. I've also heard it around the dealer I used to work at. I think the reasoning was after so many miles of dirty fluid, deposits build up and become functioning parts of the transmission. I had my mr2 transmission go out about 500 miles after a power flush at 125k miles.

This could be a good time to go with a nice higher end synthetic fluid if everything checks out ok.
Wysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2015, 08:13 PM   #4
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware

Weird.

I can't exactly remember what the manual says about the transmission fluid change, but I know it's over 100k miles's and I'm pretty sure it's 120k.
Old 01-09-2015, 09:52 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIG View Post
Weird.

I can't exactly remember what the manual says about the transmission fluid change, but I know it's over 100k miles's and I'm pretty sure it's 120k.
The manual says to change fluid and filter at 150,000
BrewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 11:33 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewGuy View Post
The manual says to change fluid and filter at 150,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysh View Post
I'm not sure this is still the case with newer cars, but I've had mechanics in the past tell me "if it's not flushed regularly(every 30-45k) during the life of the transmission, don't flush it with higher milage, just change the fluid and filter(if you have one)". This was a trusted family friend so I sort of believe him. I've also heard it around the dealer I used to work at. I think the reasoning was after so many miles of dirty fluid, deposits build up and become functioning parts of the transmission. I had my mr2 transmission go out about 500 miles after a power flush at 125k miles.

This could be a good time to go with a nice higher end synthetic fluid if everything checks out ok.
Yeah i've heard that as well. I might just change the fluid and filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
Automatic transmissions are hydraulic, and same as the brakes, they need to be bled (really just a whole system flush) periodically. I would say it is time for yours to get that done with that many miles. My old 01 with ... i think it had around 75k miles at the time was having the same issue.
Yeah it's just weird that the ford says to only do it 150,000 miles but that seems like extremely long
Ferr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 11:24 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysh View Post

+1 This guy speaks the truth. With an auto, you can either change the fluid and flush every 25-30k, or never flush and just do filter/fluid swaps. After so many miles without a flush, the spent friction material does become a critical component in transmission function and needs to stay in place.
steviedon is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang