Finally...swapping cluster - Page 3 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-30-2015, 06:37 AM   #71
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Just noticed that the 14 cluster differs from the 13 cluster in appearance. Looks like I'll have a Frankenstein lol

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2015, 08:14 AM   #72
Kevin.Cook

Yea same here. I got a 14 with a 13 cluster. But the still do the same thing for me as far as the LCD and MyColor are concerned. Unless the next owner is familiar with Mustangs, they won't know. But then again, I do not plan on trading my car in for a LONG time, if at all.
Old 01-30-2015, 08:26 AM   #73
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Rhode Island
Wuts actually different between the 13 and 14 cluster I've never seen a 13 one but just assumed they where the same

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Deadreckoning is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2015, 08:28 AM   #74
Kevin.Cook

On the 13 premium cluster, the is a fairly big white ring around both sides of the gauges that illuminate with MyColor. On the 14, it is a very thin white ring.
Old 01-30-2015, 09:57 AM   #75
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post
On the 13 premium cluster, the is a fairly big white ring around both sides of the gauges that illuminate with MyColor. On the 14, it is a very thin white ring.
Exactly. Not a huge difference but I thought they were the same. I kinda like the 13 a little better but happy either way.

Old 01-30-2015, 02:51 PM   #76
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Most of the tools I find are similar to:

VCM2 For Ford VCM II IDS V86 OEM Multi-Language diagnostic interface

But everytime I read the description, it mentions 2013 and older models. So I am not sure if these work on 2014.

When you search car-parts.com, select Speedometer and then (cluster), MPH, 3.7L, ID DR33-10849-EA thru EJ and it will give you a lot of stores with the 2013-2014 clusters for sale.
Is this the VCM you purchased? Newer mind I see which one you got.

Old 01-30-2015, 03:04 PM   #77
Kevin.Cook

The install of the IDS software is pretty straight forward. Just very time consuming. Even with a higher end laptop, setting up all of the software took about 30 minutes.
Old 01-30-2015, 03:09 PM   #78
Registered Member
Regular

Thinking about going the same route as you did. My ford dealer wants 100$ to do the keys when I can get the tool for about 190cdn. With this tool can the milage be adjusted also?

Old 01-30-2015, 03:36 PM   #79
Kevin.Cook

Unfortunately not. Till today, I cannot find a tool that will do the mileage. The site I got my VCM from it was $165. That was with the 5 day DHL shipping.

The VCM will allow you to correct your speedometer if you change wheel or gear size. It will let you program keys. It will clear codes for you. It will let you enter AS Built codes into the car. As well as many other things.
Old 01-30-2015, 11:34 PM   #80
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Unfortunately not. Till today, I cannot find a tool that will do the mileage. The site I got my VCM from it was $165. That was with the 5 day DHL shipping.

The VCM will allow you to correct your speedometer if you change wheel or gear size. It will let you program keys. It will clear codes for you. It will let you enter AS Built codes into the car. As well as many other things.
Out of curiosity, I do need an IDS flash to make my boss 302 steering wheel ' s audio controls function. Do you think the VCM tool would be able to do that with the as built codes from a 302?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 11:15 AM   #81
Kevin.Cook

Maybe. Does the button layout match the previous wheels? If not, could be wiring.
Old 01-31-2015, 12:19 PM   #82
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Maybe. Does the button layout match the previous wheels? If not, could be wiring.
No, I have a base car. The articles I've read on it says Ford can do it with AS built codes through IDS since the Boss 302 had the same base stereo. It didn't have the Shaker system.

I was just curious if I could do it through the VCM tool. I've asked the ford dealer in my town and they just look at me like I'm crazy lol they've obviously never done it.

2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
Old 02-01-2015, 12:18 PM   #83
Kevin.Cook

you could always hook up the vcm tool and enter codes and see what happens.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 02-05-2015, 05:40 AM   #84
Registered Member
Regular

Well my cluster should arrive today. My car is stored in my garage for the winter, but I want to at least plug in the cluster to make sure everything works on it. I know it won't start because of the security but by putting in the cluster and in ganging the key will I still be able to put the old cluster back in with no I'll effects and start up fine? Thanks.

Old 02-05-2015, 09:06 AM   #85
Kevin.Cook

You should be able to turn the car on with the old cluster, swap in the new cluster to test functionality, and then swap back out the cluster. You MIGHT get an oil change error (I think this is normal). You may also see Track Apps not displaying. That should be fixed after either programming the keys or entering AS Built codes.

Just testing the cluster will not affect the way your car starts with the old cluster. Unless you reprogram the keys.
Old 02-05-2015, 10:02 AM   #86
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks Kevin. Do you know where I can find the wire harness if I wanted the ambient lighting.

Old 02-05-2015, 10:05 AM   #87
Kevin.Cook

I do not unfortunately at this time. I did see the full MyColor harness once on eBay a while back. But I didn't see it a couple of weeks ago when I checked. Doesn't hurt to search on there though.

My problem would have been fishing it through the different parts of the car. Such as through to the doors. I dont know if you have looked at it, but fishing things through the little tube thing going into the door isn't exactly a simple task.

Either way - Good Luck!
Old 02-05-2015, 10:59 AM   #88
Kevin.Cook

I just checked ebay again and did not see the wire harness for MyColor.

But I did find a MyColor cupholder for an Automatic on there. It's one of the only ones on there. The rest are for Manual Trans.

2010 2014 Mustang Center Console Inner Lid Cup Holder Interior My Color Auto | eBay
Old 02-09-2015, 03:37 PM   #89
Registered Member
Regular

Received my switch today and going to install everything temporary to make sure everything works other than the car starting of coarse lol. I'll post some pics tonight.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1423517781588.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	175102  
Old 02-09-2015, 03:39 PM   #90
Kevin.Cook

Congrats! I know how excited you must be. This part is only half the fun and a teaser at the same time.
Old 02-09-2015, 07:09 PM   #91
Registered Member
Regular

Well this must have been the easiest mode I've done to my car lol. Only took 15 minutes to install the switch and remove the old cluster and swap in the new one. I am a little confused though, my new cluster is from a 14 GT that I thought started coming with track apps standard, but I don't see it there. I can't believe the difference with the new cluster!!!
BTW thanks Kevin for all your help and time!!!! Much appreciated! Now I just have to wait till mid march to get the keys programmed.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1423530178265.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	175111   Click image for larger version

Name:	1423530194272.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	175112  

Name:	1423530210145.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	175113  
Old 02-09-2015, 07:13 PM   #92
Registered Member
Regular

Looking for the same for my 14 v6. Can't find a premium cluster anywhere!

hansford1333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 07:52 PM   #93
Kevin.Cook

Yea the clusters are super hard to find. I was just lucky in finding that one for FastFord13.

FastFord13: the track apps rarely show up when you first install the cluster. It will either show up when you program the keys (which mine did), or when you enter the AS Built codes.

Old 02-09-2015, 08:37 PM   #94
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yea the clusters are super hard to find. I was just lucky in finding that one for FastFord13.

FastFord13: the track apps rarely show up when you first install the cluster. It will either show up when you program the keys (which mine did), or when you enter the AS Built codes.

+1, if you didn't post this cluster I might have never found one in kms. They are super rare as it is! I over paid (400cdn shipped) but I wasn't letting this get away. He was asking 400 U.S which was 500cdn so I did get 20% off I guess lol. You the man Kevin, I can't thank you enough thumbs! IMO its soooo worth it! I suggest to anyone who is toying with the idea to do it if you can find one.

Old 02-09-2015, 08:40 PM   #95
Registered Member
Regular

Another PIC.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1423535975931.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	175117  
Old 02-09-2015, 08:41 PM   #96
Registered Member
Regular

BTW I put the old cluster back in and the car started right up, so you Kevin were correct sir!

Old 02-09-2015, 09:09 PM   #97
Kevin.Cook

Have you got confirmation that a dealer will do the keys and maybe the as built codes?

Old 02-09-2015, 10:30 PM   #98
Registered Member
Regular

Very cool. Still looking into trying a 13 or 14 cluster with my 11 but it's considerably more involved lol. I'm considering just grabbing an 11 or 12 premium cluster for the my color and extra gauges and calling it a day.

Old 02-10-2015, 08:08 AM   #99
Kevin.Cook

Yeai f I had a 11/12 I would just get the Premium cluster for those years. To be honest, now that I have settled into the new cluster, I only use it for MyColor and the fancy avg MPG screen. I used track apps maybe a couple of times and the virtual gauges almost never. On top of the MyColor, I set the color and stopped messing with it.

It is nice to have but may not be worth ripping your hair out for. Up to you on how much of a challenge you like.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:10 AM   #100
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeai f I had a 11/12 I would just get the Premium cluster for those years. To be honest, now that I have settled into the new cluster, I only use it for MyColor and the fancy avg MPG screen. I used track apps maybe a couple of times and the virtual gauges almost never. On top of the MyColor, I set the color and stopped messing with it.

It is nice to have but may not be worth ripping your hair out for. Up to you on how much of a challenge you like.
Well my research into it shows that you need an entirely different $400 ABS module for the track apps to function. The rest functions fine. I did read about some work around but I don't think I would be too keen to splice into anything like the ABS sensor lol

Old 02-10-2015, 08:35 AM   #101
Kevin.Cook

Yea, throwing money at something is alot easier on the mind then potentially causing other things to break as far as splicing goes. The only thing that scares me with those 11/12 swaps, is the info button swap from the dash to steering wheel. I heard you are supposed to rewire something?
Old 02-10-2015, 09:25 AM   #102
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yea, throwing money at something is alot easier on the mind then potentially causing other things to break as far as splicing goes. The only thing that scares me with those 11/12 swaps, is the info button swap from the dash to steering wheel. I heard you are supposed to rewire something?
For the 13/14 cluster swap to an 11/12 I believe you do. For the 11/12 premium there is just the my color wiring and then load as built data for the extra 2 gauges to function.

I could be wrong though. I'll have to look at that article again.

Old 03-14-2015, 08:26 AM   #103
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Lastly, the v86 software with the Extended Programming was good enough for my Mustang. I did not use the v91 software.
Hi Kevin,
Going to order the tool today v86, but what is the Extended programming you speak of? I'll have a 13 car with a 14 cluster.

2013 Candy Apple Red 3.7, Roush Axel Backs, Airaid CAI, BBK shorty headers,Barton shifter bracket, Bama tuned, SR lowering Springs, J&M adjustable pan hard bar, 3.73 Ford Racing gears, GT 500 spoiler, Upper and lower modern billit grill, 2010 GT Premium 19" wheels, GT 500 stripes, Painted mirror covers, MMD Billitt fuel door. 2014 Premium cluster, Chrome mustang shifter knob,
Old 03-14-2015, 09:04 AM   #104
Kevin.Cook

This is from post #35 on this thread:

I did the swap on my 2014 and used version 86 of the IDS software. One important thing to do is use the FordExtendProgr.exe file located here Index of /FORD.

Also, if you have not done so, I would read this thread (definitely the first 12 - 13 pages) How to install a 2013 Mustang Track Apps Instrument Cluster in a 2013 Base model GT

It was pretty simple once I ran the FordExtendProgr.exe file - and it doesn't matter if it's a GT or a V6. Mine was a V6 and it worked as advertised.

---------- Post added at 09:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:03 AM ----------

Well, seems my hyperlink broke, but if you go back to that post, it should work.

Old 03-14-2015, 09:08 AM   #105
Registered Member
Regular

Looks great man! When I first purchased my 13' premium I thought they all came stock with that but I later found out by a buddy of mine who has a 14' I guess base and he didn't have the cluster like mine. Ford is now implementing it on all 15s makes the car actually feel more "premium" if you all can I'd highly suggest doing it. It great and it adds a nice touch to your stang.

JohnnyBob is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang