Bubbles on hood lip? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-11-2015, 01:32 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Bubbles on hood lip?

so i just notice some bubbling on my hood lip of my '14 and i'm kind of mad (ah the joys of owning a new car?)

i googled it a bit, and a lot of people are pretty much saying that Ford dealers tell them there's nothing they can do because it's a standard thing that happens in the paint process on all of their cars, so they won't repair it.

then others have said that they got it repaired, and then less than a year later, the bubbling comes back.

some have stated that you'll never get a finish as good as the factory finish again, so they say to really step back and think about if it's worth it.

have any of you guys ever dealt with this? i tried to get a pic, where you can see two clusters forming. if you feel under the lip when you open the hood, it looks like it's on that inside lip as well. the other side doesn't have any visible with the hood closed, but when you open it, you can feel them under the lip as well.

MPT Performance Tune, AM Laguna Seca Black 19" Rims, Borla Touring Axlebacks, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace, Airaid Modular Intake Tube, aFe Pro Dry S Air Filter, Mustang GT Grille w/ Foglight Mesh, Taillight Tint, Tinted Door Ventvisors, Diode Dynamics LED's
jayochs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2015, 01:58 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Happened with my '13, my dealer stripped the area and repainted the hood. They scheduled the work before even getting formal approval from Ford. We'll see how long it holds up.
Old 01-11-2015, 02:00 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
In October I found the same thing on my car on the lip of hood in a few spots and more near center.I got the car used yet still in all warranties. Took it to dealer first to get opinion and they told me to go to the body shop and he believed it was the start of corrosion. Took it to the body shop and the guy came out and looked, and wrote me up no argument or anything. He even asked if I wanted the stripe that was on the car from previous owner put back on(was god awful and I wanted it gone). It is not normal and the guy at body shop said it happens a bit. My car has been sitting but I have not noticed it coming back but like I said, it was not long ago I had it fixed. If you do get it fixed take care for about 30 days after it is painted, no dirt roads and watch when behind other vehicles.
Grimkreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2015, 02:00 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariusvt View Post
Happened with my '13, my dealer stripped the area and repainted the hood. They scheduled the work before even getting formal approval from Ford. We'll see how long it holds up.
see that's what i'm afraid of...from a thread i read on another forum, it's guaranteed to happen again bc of the process ford uses. some people brought it in, and ford authorized a hood replacement right away.

if i go in for service, i'm going to ask for that option, because i've got some paint imperfections on my hood too. if they'll just give me a whole new hood, i'd accept that in hopes that it wouldn't be as bad as if they repainted it and it comes back again.

how long was your car out of commission while they did this?
MPT Performance Tune, AM Laguna Seca Black 19" Rims, Borla Touring Axlebacks, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace, Airaid Modular Intake Tube, aFe Pro Dry S Air Filter, Mustang GT Grille w/ Foglight Mesh, Taillight Tint, Tinted Door Ventvisors, Diode Dynamics LED's
Old 01-11-2015, 02:01 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimkreg View Post
In October I found the same thing on my car on the lip of hood in a few spots and more near center.I got the car used yet still in all warranties. Took it to dealer first to get opinion and they told me to go to the body shop and he believed it was the start of corrosion. Took it to the body shop and the guy came out and looked, and wrote me up no argument or anything. He even asked if I wanted the stripe that was on the car from previous owner put back on(was god awful and I wanted it gone). It is not normal and the guy at body shop said it happens a bit. My car has been sitting but I have not noticed it coming back but like I said, it was not long ago I had it fixed. If you do get it fixed take care for about 30 days after it is painted, no dirt roads and watch when behind other vehicles.
i'm the same situation. used, but warranty still. so your dealer told you to go to a body shop?
Old 01-11-2015, 02:12 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayochs View Post
i'm the same situation. used, but warranty still. so your dealer told you to go to a body shop?
Yes, but to the ford body shop so was all warranty (sorry for the confusion my dealer is at a different location than the body shop)
Old 01-11-2015, 02:24 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yes, but to the ford body shop so was all warranty (sorry for the confusion my dealer is at a different location than the body shop)
ahh i see. i wonder if they'll just repaint, or do another hood.

i also wonder if they changed the method in which they paint the hood so that it won't happen again? ugh. what a pain.
Old 01-11-2015, 02:43 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I would imagine repaint, unless it was past saving but it does not appear so. I had probably 3-4 spots on the lip, one was cracking the paint a bit, and also some on the cowl where previous owner had a stripe/decal and they just repainted.
Old 01-11-2015, 02:49 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I would imagine repaint, unless it was past saving but it does not appear so. I had probably 3-4 spots on the lip, one was cracking the paint a bit, and also some on the cowl where previous owner had a stripe/decal and they just repainted.
hmm, well i made an appt for friday since i'm going to take off work anyway, so hopefully they'll get some pics and see what's going on with it. i hope they have after work hours because i do 9 to 5 and i'm not going to take time off just to drop it off lol

also, how long did the shop have the car before giving it back?
Old 01-11-2015, 03:07 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
hmm, well i made an appt for friday since i'm going to take off work anyway, so hopefully they'll get some pics and see what's going on with it. i hope they have after work hours because i do 9 to 5 and i'm not going to take time off just to drop it off lol

also, how long did the shop have the car before giving it back?
I believe that they had it for a whole work week(my write up from them has the start day as way before I dropped the car off for some reason). But when I picked it up he told me to bring it back because someone used a bad rag and put fine scratches in the hood(the paint will be super soft for ~30 days after painted) and he said they would fix them(which I dont think they even did anything to the car during the extra two days I dropped it back off because I still saw fine marks but not a big deal as I plan to go over whole car come spring).
Old 01-11-2015, 03:27 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I believe that they had it for a whole work week(my write up from them has the start day as way before I dropped the car off for some reason). But when I picked it up he told me to bring it back because someone used a bad rag and put fine scratches in the hood(the paint will be super soft for ~30 days after painted) and he said they would fix them(which I dont think they even did anything to the car during the extra two days I dropped it back off because I still saw fine marks but not a big deal as I plan to go over whole car come spring).
damn. so wait, what do you do if you get bird poop on the hood? man, this is turning out to be a pain lol
Old 01-11-2015, 03:32 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Aside from aesthetic bits and pieces, I'm so glad I didn't get a 13 or 14, so many QC issues...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 03:37 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Not sure about bird poop as I didn't encounter it and also drove my dad's truck for first week.
Also Joey, mine is a 12, its not just a 13+ issue, more of aluminum hood issue I believe.
Old 01-11-2015, 03:39 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Not sure about bird poop as I didn't encounter it and also drove my dad's truck for first week.
Also Joey, mine is a 12, its not just a 13+ issue, more of aluminum hood issue I believe.
Weird, never had any issues with my paint other than chipping pretty easily but that's from rocks hitting it.

Damn industrial areas. Glad I don't work there anymore.

2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
Old 01-11-2015, 04:01 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
see that's what i'm afraid of...from a thread i read on another forum, it's guaranteed to happen again bc of the process ford uses. some people brought it in, and ford authorized a hood replacement right away.

if i go in for service, i'm going to ask for that option, because i've got some paint imperfections on my hood too. if they'll just give me a whole new hood, i'd accept that in hopes that it wouldn't be as bad as if they repainted it and it comes back again.

how long was your car out of commission while they did this?

They had it for 3 days and put me into a loaner. I didn't push for a replacement, I figured I'd let them paint it. If it comes back I'll request a new hood. My dealer runs a body shop on the premises.
Old 01-11-2015, 04:10 PM   #16
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Had similar issues on the hood of my '01 Explorer at 30k. Dealer repainted and no issues for the next 90k. Now the roof, it started doing it around 70k and of course was out of warranty. When I sold the truck the paint on the roof had pretty much peeled away and left rust in its place.

Now I have something to watch out for, but since I'll be getting a new hood soon anyways, maybe it won't matter.

"Holy crap bro. You're a genius." - 2011 Kona Blue
au01st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 04:16 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariusvt View Post
They had it for 3 days and put me into a loaner. I didn't push for a replacement, I figured I'd let them paint it. If it comes back I'll request a new hood. My dealer runs a body shop on the premises.
i'd do that too, but my warranty expires in may of '16 i believe, so it pretty much has to be an issue right away..

---------- Post added at 05:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:15 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM91 View Post
Aside from aesthetic bits and pieces, I'm so glad I didn't get a 13 or 14, so many QC issues...

dude, this has been happening since the beginning of this generation. google it; there's tons of threads of people with 09's and prior having the exact same issue, and they're all screwed bc they're out of warranty. it's the aluminum hood ford switched to. they're not painting them correctly and refuse to address it.
Old 01-11-2015, 04:49 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Went to check my hood after reading this thread. You guys think this is a bubble that popped? It's dark already so pic kinda sucks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1421016584.344570.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	173366Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1421016595.892660.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	173367

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 05:15 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
i'd do that too, but my warranty expires in may of '16 i believe, so it pretty much has to be an issue right away..

---------- Post added at 05:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:15 PM ----------

dude, this has been happening since the beginning of this generation. google it; there's tons of threads of people with 09's and prior having the exact same issue, and they're all screwed bc they're out of warranty. it's the aluminum hood ford switched to. they're not painting them correctly and refuse to address it.
Eh just saying. 64k miles and no sign of paint issues, other than being easy to chip.

While it may be quite a few people total, I've heard a LOT more of QC issues with the 13s and 14s. Paint issues, faulty firewall seals, electrical glitches, window seals, etc.

Old 01-11-2015, 05:33 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Bubbles on hood lip?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiESeven View Post
Went to check my hood after reading this thread. You guys think this is a bubble that popped? It's dark already so pic kinda sucks.

Put better pic tomorrow or with better light if you can. Mine hadnt opened but the one that cracked on mine was a whiteish crack. I believe there are more threads/pics of this out there, so google a few of those and compare. Also, look for other areas such as the "fold" where the metal is bent over under hood, thats a problem spot I believe

Old 01-11-2015, 06:17 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
I had my 14 repainted in November. They had it 2 days. I had problems with both the hood and the trunk.

This has been an issue since 2004 and it isn't just on the Mustangs. There is a class action lawsuit that the judge has not ruled on yet.
BrewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 07:35 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewGuy View Post
I had my 14 repainted in November. They had it 2 days. I had problems with both the hood and the trunk.

This has been an issue since 2004 and it isn't just on the Mustangs. There is a class action lawsuit that the judge has not ruled on yet.
yeah i saw the lawsuit, originated in my state here in NJ.

my trunk had an issue (What's this discoloration in my paint?) but it went away. i don't understand how, but something UNDERNEATH the paint managed to go away.

i have a TINY spot like those on my hood which you can see when certain light shines on it. maybe i'll see if i can get those trunk spots to show again so they repaint the trunk too.
Old 01-11-2015, 08:50 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiESeven View Post

Attachment 173366Attachment 173367

That is where the hood adjuster touches the hood, look down in the corner where that part of the hood comes down and you will see a 6 sided piece of rubber sticking up.
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 11:29 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

well I went to ford today, and luckily the service person I had said she was extremely familiar with this issue... she took some pics, sent to ford, and bam within ten minutes they approved a hood repaint. gonna bring it in on the 16th of February and they said it'll take like a week maximum... so here's hoping this fixes it.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk.
Old 02-23-2015, 05:54 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

**update*

cross post from my other thread, but here was the outcome:
-----------------------
well, got my car back today Monday 2/23/15.

I dropped it off Sunday evening, 2/15/15.

they weren't kidding about it taking a week.

the plan was a "week" to paint the hood, i'd have it back Friday night so I could have it for the weekend. then, monday i'd bring it in for the water sloshing issue.

so friday she calls and says they'll be dropping it off from the body shop and then she suggested they just hold it for the weekend in their garage bc the temps were freezing, and if the water inside the panel iced up, they couldn't diagnose. so she said they could keep it stored for the weekend and thaw it out, and first thing monday morning, the leaks guy was gonna check it out and she'd call me around 12 (when i'm on lunch at work) and tell me whats up, and hopefully that i could pick it up.

so i'm anxious bc i didn't have a car all weekend so i stayed in and it was boring as hell. so it's monday, i'm on lunch, waiting for a call. no call. 12:45 comes around, i call the dealer, and she tells me that the body shop hasn't finished yet and they'll be delivering it today. WHAT?!?! it took the body shop 6 full business days TO PAINT A HOOD?! REALLY?!

so at this point i'm pissed. i'm like, look, i'm going to reschedule this water issue for when it's warmer. it's supposed to freeze again tonight, and i'm not dealing with not having my car for another week, so i'm picking it up tonight.

so i picked it up after work and i'll re-schedule the appointment for the summer sometime. the hood looked good from what i could see at 5:30pm, but i did somewhat notice on the lip on the other side that it's a bit bumpy, so now i'm somewhat pissed if they just created a bubbling issue from a re-paint.
hard to see in this pic, but i took this in the dealer parking lot. not sure what to make of it, and if i want to even bother telling them of this since it'll probably take yet another damn week without a car for them to fix it!

hard to see, but notice it looks a bit rough in the middle area of the pic? it wasn't like that before they painted it.

either way, i'm going to re-schedule my water issue appointment for the summer, and i might look into going to another dealer. i'm sorry, but them having my car for 8 full days just to paint a hood is pretty ridiculous, considering people here said they got theirs repainted in 2. time to find another dealer perhaps.
Old 02-23-2015, 06:03 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
**update*

cross post from my other thread, but here was the outcome:
-----------------------
well, got my car back today Monday 2/23/15.

I dropped it off Sunday evening, 2/15/15.

they weren't kidding about it taking a week.

the plan was a "week" to paint the hood, i'd have it back Friday night so I could have it for the weekend. then, monday i'd bring it in for the water sloshing issue.

so friday she calls and says they'll be dropping it off from the body shop and then she suggested they just hold it for the weekend in their garage bc the temps were freezing, and if the water inside the panel iced up, they couldn't diagnose. so she said they could keep it stored for the weekend and thaw it out, and first thing monday morning, the leaks guy was gonna check it out and she'd call me around 12 (when i'm on lunch at work) and tell me whats up, and hopefully that i could pick it up.

so i'm anxious bc i didn't have a car all weekend so i stayed in and it was boring as hell. so it's monday, i'm on lunch, waiting for a call. no call. 12:45 comes around, i call the dealer, and she tells me that the body shop hasn't finished yet and they'll be delivering it today. WHAT?!?! it took the body shop 6 full business days TO PAINT A HOOD?! REALLY?!

so at this point i'm pissed. i'm like, look, i'm going to reschedule this water issue for when it's warmer. it's supposed to freeze again tonight, and i'm not dealing with not having my car for another week, so i'm picking it up tonight.

so i picked it up after work and i'll re-schedule the appointment for the summer sometime. the hood looked good from what i could see at 5:30pm, but i did somewhat notice on the lip on the other side that it's a bit bumpy, so now i'm somewhat pissed if they just created a bubbling issue from a re-paint.
hard to see in this pic, but i took this in the dealer parking lot. not sure what to make of it, and if i want to even bother telling them of this since it'll probably take yet another damn week without a car for them to fix it!

hard to see, but notice it looks a bit rough in the middle area of the pic? it wasn't like that before they painted it.

either way, i'm going to re-schedule my water issue appointment for the summer, and i might look into going to another dealer. i'm sorry, but them having my car for 8 full days just to paint a hood is pretty ridiculous, considering people here said they got theirs repainted in 2. time to find another dealer perhaps.
Wow, sorry to hear this, I WOULD BE ****ING PISSED!! 8 days for a ****ing hood is absolutely ****ing ridiculous and then you notice that! The car would instantly be going back, and **** would hit the ****ing fan o Max! I would also be calling ford USA and explain the whole process and what they gave you back!! 8 days that hood better be ****ing perfect!!

Sorry lol, I hate to see this happen to somebody! I feel for you bro!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 06:06 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

should i even bring it up to them though? i really can't be without a car for another damn week for them to fix this. does it just look like overspray or something? it doesn't look like the same type of bubbling from before. just looks bumpy.
Old 02-23-2015, 06:21 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
should i even bring it up to them though? i really can't be without a car for another damn week for them to fix this. does it just look like overspray or something? it doesn't look like the same type of bubbling from before. just looks bumpy.
That's your call, if your OK with.
If it was me there is no way I'd accept that, over spray or not, you should have had basically a new looking hood with 0 imperfections!
I would also question the shop that not only took 8 days to do a hood, which is BTW unheard of, but to return a car that they 100% knew that what you found they have seen and let it go! I'd also inquire about their warranty on their work, if its a shabby warranty you know more than likely it will be shabby work.
I got a ding on my front corner panel just above the front wheel and I take it to a place called Fix Auto, not sure if its also in the states, but not only was it done in 2 days, their work is guaranteed for life! I have been going there for any and all body work I've needed since 2000 when I back my 01 Taurus into a telephone pole.
Never had any problems and work was done to OEM quality.
I feel that you might be OK with the hood but please do it for me lol! Jk jk
Your call....

Old 02-23-2015, 06:21 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Make them fix it. And make sure they know you are expecting a car from them while they have yours. Like someone said, you can go above their heads if they wont cooperate

Old 02-23-2015, 06:23 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

I didn't even think about a rental car from them because I never dealt with a dealer before honestly. I think I have my service managers email so I'll take some pics and shoot her an email documenting it and see what she says.

Old 02-23-2015, 06:28 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I didn't even think about a rental car from them because I never dealt with a dealer before honestly. I think I have my service managers email so I'll take some pics and shoot her an email documenting it and see what she says.

If your not happy DON'T let the push you around, you have to be firm and confident of what you expect from them and the shop. Also try and stay calm lol, this is why I bring my wife with me if ever something like this arises, if not chances are I'd be arrested lol.

Old 02-23-2015, 06:32 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

lol true. I just don't want them being ******** at the body shop bc its being returned, and they drive my car like ******** to spite me. I still don't like other people driving my car so I don't even want to bring it back

Old 02-23-2015, 06:52 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
I would bring it back. I wouldn't worry about them driving your car. Not to be an *** but we have v6 mustangs, which they probably work on daily (rental fleets, etc). If it was a BOSS or GT500 then yeah, I might be a little nervous.
paintmann111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 06:56 PM   #34
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintmann111 View Post
I would bring it back. I wouldn't worry about them driving your car. Not to be an *** but we have v6 mustangs, which they probably work on daily (rental fleets, etc). If it was a BOSS or GT500 then yeah, I might be a little nervous.

I've seen videos of techs beating the crap out of V6 mustangs. It seems like they do it to every car.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 09:14 PM   #35
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
Yeah, that's unacceptable. Tell them that they need to do it right and in the meantime you need a rental car. You cannot go another week without a car.

Be firm but respectful. Let them know that you are displeased with the work.

They won't drive the piss out of your car. I promise.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang