Homemade Brake Ducts - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-11-2015, 09:33 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Homemade Brake Ducts

So as some of you may remember, i got some GT brakes for the Fiance for Christmas and had them powdercoated yellow Questions about powdercoating:

I had some time to myself in the garage this weekend and figured since its not really in the budget to get her a set of ducts before our next track weekend in two weeks, and i didnt want the high speeds from the fast track to heat the brakes up enough to damage the powder coat, i should rig something up.

So, this was 75% wanting to keep the brakes cool, 25% wanting to use my new Sheet metal brake and Rivet gun i got fro Christmas. Its a win win.

So, i love reading threads with lots of pictures, so i took a ton ... more so towards the beginning, when 7:00 rolls around and you start hearing "are you going to be done with my car soon?" its just time to be done lol.

The initial idea was to just blow some air in the general area of the hat and rotor. I believe the outside of the wheel well creates a low pressure zone, effectively sucking air through the vanes of the rotors. To capitalize on this, i just need to blow some air in a generally "that way" direction, and make a "catch" so to speak on the back side of the rotor to try to funnel the air in.

Unfortunately there was a 2-3" vertical difference between where that pipe came out, and where i was hoping to mount to the hub (i just removed the dust shield and was using those holes as potential mounting points) so it was back to the drawing board.

Luckily, idea 2 was MUCH better, and i'll show you that from start to finish now. I realized that i had enough hose to effectively just make some impromptu ducts, i just needed to design a small "carrier" of sorts on the back of the rotor to hold the hose.

I started out on posterboard, that sheet of aluminum was about $35, so i wasnt going to waste any of that.

Transferring to the aluminum, measure twice, cut once ... also dont assume the piece your working with is actually square just because it looks square

Some big *** scissors made short work of the sheet metal, which in hindsight was WAY too thin. The final version has 3 layers of the upper carrier and two layers of the lower put together for some rigidity.

My new sheet metal brake which, despite all my excitement, was pretty lack luster when bending some flimsy *** metal... oh well.

Here i was measuring out how far i could extend the lower carrier before interfering with the tie rod end link during vertical travel of the suspension. Looked to be ~2"

So heres the basic design of the upper and lower carrier put together.

So i lovingly use the phrase "janky as ****" when referring to this piece of the project, but i really couldnt think of a better way to secure the hoses to the front of the car. I had a 2.5" holesaw and drilled though the inner and outer plate, put on plate on each side of the bumper, and threaded the hose through before riveting the plates together to sandwich it all in place. This design is what i based my idea on Vorshlag 3" Brake Inlet Cooling Kit for 2013-14 Mustang GT/Boss302 - Vorshlag LLC

Final beefy carrier 2.0 installed.

Hose zip tied to the sway bar. Its very important to check that your wheels dont rub the ducts. Ours rubs on the drivers side a bit on a full-lock right hand turn, which luckily this next track has none of, so i decided it was good enough. 95% of the time you arent even turning further than just platning your hands at 9 and 3 will allow any ways, but its always nice to make sure you have PLENTY of room.

Final versions plastidipped black for a more ... "clean" look lol. I guess as clean as it can be.

So thats that. It was a fun little project, which all in all i am very proud of. I dont recommend this as a substitute to some actual quality ducts, but hopefully this will just get us through this next track weekend.
Voltwings is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2015, 10:41 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Very nice, I read about a couple duct set ups. Like this one from JLT, and on that same site they explain a Kenny Brown version as well. Might give you some ideas on how to refine yours:

http://v6mustangperformance.com/modi...-kit-intstall/

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 10:48 PM   #3
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Nice.

You guys both go to the track together? That's awesome!

I'm not good with making stuff so I'm probably just going to buy a duct kit.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2015, 07:34 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, these are temporary at best, i just figured it was better than having nothing when we go out there. Hopefully by our next outing we'll have some legit 3" ducts.
Old 01-12-2015, 08:54 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Can you throw up a pic of the entire front end with your finished temp. project? Looks sweet!
DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 09:07 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I'll have to get it tonight, it was a tight fit in the garage. Thanks man.
Old 01-12-2015, 11:24 AM   #7
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
props dude...I'm a big fan of doing it yourself

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang