Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Weird noise around 40mph?

8K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  JoeyM91 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I have been experiencing this weird noise when I am around the 40mph speed. It ONLY happens between ~40 to ~45mph. It sounds as if it is coming from the FRONT END. I am having trouble coming up with words to describe the noise for you guys. I tried recording a video to see if it would be loud enough to hear over the road noise. Unfortunately, you can barely hear it. It is very noticeable in person, though.

(Car details: 2014 Mustang v6, AUTO, BAMA Tune, Roush upper/lower installed, gt500 spoiler, borla s type axle-back)

This noise happened before I ever got the car tuned. It only happens around 40mph so I don't know if it is related to the grille?

I clipped down the recording to the one area of the video that kind of picks it up. You have to really turn up the volume to hear it.

The best I can come up with in terms of describing it is that something is vibrating or knocking against something else. It's rather high pitched in a way. It sounds as if it is coming from the front end.

I know this is a long shot. I figured I'd see if anyone, by chance, experienced the same thing until I find time to bring it to the dealer.

See less See more
#5 ·
To all questions:

It happened before I left for holidays. I never thought anything of it and figure it might be the Roush grille. But then I started to pay more attention to it and the fact that it only happens at 40mph started this investigation.

Tires are inflated and balanced. The car was multi-point inspected this past Friday and everything is good on that end.

I believe the RPMs rest around the 1k to 1.2k range? I'd have to confirm. It happens regardless of the RPMs though. As soon as it reaches the ~40mph mark, the noise starts. It can be while I'm still accelerating, decelerating or cruising at that speed. It also stops after I am over roughly ~45mph or drop back below ~40mph.

Also: To those that could play the video. Were you able to hear the faint noise that I was able to capture? I know what to look for so I hear it in the video. I can see if I can try to capture a better video if you guys can't hear it. The volume does have to be pretty high though.

#6 ·
By all you say, it certainly sounds wind related. So I'd say it's probably on of the grilles.
BTW...Couldn't hear it in your vid.

#7 · (Edited)
Did you change your cabin air filter any time recently, or was it changed during the inspection?

Mine started chattering after I did because I didn't snap the front vent plastic down well enough under the hood You have to press firmly on each side.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#8 ·
Update:

I just drove with my back seats down to transport something. With the seats down, it actually sounded like it was coming from behind.

It kind of sounded like it was coming from the driver side axle-back. I bought a pair of used Borla S-Type a while ago. Could something have broke inside of them or come loose that is causing the noise? I checked all the clamps etc. and those looked good.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#11 ·
Check your muffler hangars also and make sure those are secure. You could try jacking up the wheels and spin them to see if you hear any noises.
Also, make sure your muffler tips aren't touching your rear valence and that they are centered.
That's interesting and these are all great points here. I've heard of internal issues with in the past but it's very rare.

Let the car cool off, inspect your hangers like Kevin had said and I would physically shake each side to see if you can hear it (Make sure the cars cold!)

Alex

#12 ·
Update 2:

Alright, so I unhooked the driver side to see if shaking it would create any noise. I discovered that when I tilt it back and forth, something inside slides up and down. It sounds like there's a piece of metal having a field day, which I believe is the source of this rattling sound I get around 40mph.

Is there something inside the muffler that could have broken off or chipped itself somehow that is floating around freely? I couldn't get anything to fall out of it... It must be shielded inside. Not sure what my options really are if this is indeed what I am hearing when driving.

The passenger side showed no signs of anything loose inside.

I guess I'll just have to live with it for now. I doubt it can do any harm other than being annoying, right?

Poop :(

#14 ·
Inside the muffler? Yikes. One of the baffles must have broken or a weld.

Check with Borla, they have a lifetime warranty, I don't know if it's transferrable since you're the 2nd owner, but it's worth a shot.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app

G
#13 ·
Sell the mufflers!!! Lol

Sometimes there can be debris inside the mufflers that need to be removed. This is what people call "breaking them in". Sometimes they sound better when this happens.

However, should something get stuck, then thats all she wrote. You could try submerging it in water for awhile. If its dirt, maybe it will dissolve and get rinsed out.

---------- Post added at 02:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:52 PM ----------

I see you got these used. Might be why the last person sold them :/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.