Starkey Puddle Lamps - 2014 Mustang - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-12-2015, 08:54 PM   #1
Kevin.Cook

Starkey Puddle Lamps - 2014 Mustang

Just installed my white puddle lamps from Starkey.

Was afraid these would be really bright but they were not. They add a unique touch to the car.

Only downside I can think of is you can see the plastic led casing in the small gap where around the actual mirror is. Kind of tacky.

Install was fairly simple. Just remove the mirrors, pop stuff out, drill holes, install/reconnect everything.

Install took about 30 minutes altogether.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1421117503.431275.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	288.2 KB
ID:	173438

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1421117488.923656.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	286.0 KB
ID:	173437
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2015, 11:28 PM   #2
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Cool. Looking to add these this month. You could always zip tie black wire loom over the back of the LED and wire and you wouldn't see it behind the mirror.

"Holy crap bro. You're a genius." - 2011 Kona Blue
au01st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 05:11 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post

Was afraid these would be really bright but they were not. They add a unique touch to the car.

Only downside I can think of is you can see the plastic led casing in the small gap where around the actual mirror is. Kind of tacky.

Install was fairly simple. Just remove the mirrors, pop stuff out, drill holes, install/reconnect everything.

Attachment 173438

Attachment 173437

I installed mine during the summer. They look great and do set apart my pony. I'm OCD and have never noticed what you described. But now that you've mentioned it, aaaaaarrrrrgggg! I'll have to resist looking. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
sguevara is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2015, 09:58 AM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Region: California
Looks nice. What do you wire into?
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 11:16 AM   #5
Kevin.Cook

The 13/14 stangs are prewired for puddle lamps. So you gotta tap into pin 5 (purple wire) and pin 7 (black wire) that go to the power mirrors.

The 10/11/12 stangs are not prewired for puddle lamps so I am not sure what you would need to tap in to.
Old 01-13-2015, 11:23 AM   #6
Site Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:

Attachment 173438

Attachment 173437
Kevin - Looks great! I'm really digging the white and I've been scratching my head on how to mod these onto my '08. The guys at Raxiom just brought out a super similar kit that we just started carrying! Are they fairly visible at dusk?

Alex
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG & 2017 RAPTOR!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMAlexLazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 11:34 AM   #7
Kevin.Cook

If you are parked in a completely dark area then yes they are visible. Otherwise, not so much.

I am thinking if you wired them on a pre-13, you would need to wire them into something that comes on when you unlock your car. Such as the map lights possibly. As they turn on when you unlock your car and they dim/turn off when you close your door. Similiar to the function of my setup.
Old 01-13-2015, 02:06 PM   #8
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
The 13/14 stangs are prewired for puddle lamps. So you gotta tap into pin 5 (purple wire) and pin 7 (black wire) that go to the power mirrors.

The 10/11/12 stangs are not prewired for puddle lamps so I am not sure what you would need to tap in to.
Cool. I'll have to check these out.
Old 01-30-2015, 11:37 AM   #9
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Just ordered these. Unfortunately the Raxiom ones were sold out on American Muscle, but I got the Starkey set in white from Amazon for $44.99 with free shipping. I'll have to go get a step drill bit since I don't have a set of those yet.

Should match my interior dome LEDs and license plate LEDs nicely.

Old 01-30-2015, 11:55 AM   #10
Registered Member

Regular

I ordered the white Raxiom ones from AM and put them in yesterday. Overall...not bad. Not really worth 45.00 in my opinion. The one thing I dont like is that you can see the lights. They sit pretty low on the bottom of the mirror. Very easy to install. If I had to do it again I probably wouldnt and knowing what I know now Id try to find a lower profile LED.
Old 01-30-2015, 12:05 PM   #11
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

It might be a necessary function of the way it's designed. If it was recessed it would need some way to be secured inside the mirror. I'm curious about the style of LED as a small surface mount LED would provide plenty of light I think and be much smaller.

Old 01-30-2015, 12:10 PM   #12
Kevin.Cook

Yup. Also, the LED kinda points towards the body of the car (This may be due to the angle of the side mirror), but I would prefer if it pointed straight at the ground.
Old 01-30-2015, 12:12 PM   #13
Registered Member

Regular

I agree. It seems like most of the light hits the door.
Old 01-30-2015, 12:28 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Excuse my ignorance but is it the premium package that comes with the pony logo image as a puddle light? I had my car for over a month before noticing the pony logo on the ground. Never knew it existed.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 12:33 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
Excuse my ignorance but is it the premium package that comes with the pony logo image as a puddle light? I had my car for over a month before noticing the pony logo on the ground. Never knew it existed.

Correct me if am wrong but I believe it's only on the GT/CS and on the 2015 1964 special edition

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Bama Performance Tune
Raxiom LED licence plate bulbs
Black GT500 style spoiler
Will2329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 12:38 PM   #16
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

It didn't come with my car that has the Premium Package and Pony Package.

Looking at install videos, it wouldn't be that hard for a manufacturer to use the plastic piece that pops out from the bottom of the mirror, mold it, and make a light fixture using surface mount LEDs embedded in the new part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 01-30-2015, 12:45 PM   #17
Kevin.Cook

The comfort package offered the pony LED. I believe it also included heated seats and side mirrors.
Old 01-30-2015, 01:09 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
The comfort package offered the pony LED. I believe it also included heated seats and side mirrors.
I do have the comfort package. Had to get it for the wife's power adjustable seat.

Name:	pony logo.jpg
Views:	3694
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	174536
(NOT MY CAR)
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 02:48 PM   #19
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Got mine today and install took about an hour (garage is to narrow to fully open doors so it took a bit longer to get the mirrors on/off. Overall I really like them. I can see where a lot of light hits the door but I still see light on the ground, too. I think it adds a classy touch to the exterior and can't wait to go try them out tonight.

Plus I have a date Friday and you just know that puddle lamps will seal the deal, lol.

Old 02-04-2015, 02:50 PM   #20
Kevin.Cook

Congrats! Yea i wouldnt take back the install if I had the choice. They definitely add a personal touch to the car.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 02-04-2015, 03:15 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Got mine on backorder. They should ship within two weeks I'm told. In the meantime, my Raxiom Nav. w/sync should be here tomorrow. Can't wait to install that!
2014 Ruby Red V6 Premium, Pony Package, Magnaflow Street Axle-backs, MMD Hood Struts, SCT X4 with Steeda lifetime tunes, Boss 302 Strut tower brace, JLT Oil Separator, OEM extended range remote start, Raxiom Navigation.
dj2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 06:40 PM   #22
Kevin.Cook

And if anyone installs this and drops one of the nuts in the door panel, make sure to take the door apart and fetch it out. Or else, water will leak in through that area in the mirror during car washes and such. :O

Laziness never pays off.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 02-08-2015, 01:10 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

The light hitting the door would bug me. I saw the video on AM and it was a instant turn off. Has anyone considered moving the light further out, or would the mirror motor interfere with this? I think I may just try to find some used takeoffs that have the pony light if so.
Old 02-08-2015, 05:29 AM   #24
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Moving them further out would interfere with the mirror motor from what I saw.

Old 02-08-2015, 10:35 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
You have to have heated mirrors to have the pony puddle lamps
juice_man_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 09:06 AM   #26
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

So another benefit to these: leaving the restaurant last night with my lady, and between there and me unlocking the car, she lost an earring. Hit the unlock button and the puddle lamps lit up the ground, and we were able to find it easily without having to dig out the phones and put them in flashlight mode.

Basically paid for themselves already!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
2014 mustang