Where to go from here? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-13-2015, 03:32 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Where to go from here?

Coming across 500 that I'm letting myself freely spend on the stang, I want to drop some money on the chrome shorty headers by BBK, any other suggestions as to what I should add?

SR Performance CAI, Diablosport Intune bama tuner, Roush Axleback, Matte black rocker stripes.
Quack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2015, 03:34 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Maybe a mid pipe also

05 Gt Premium Performance White, flowmaster outlaws, Jlt Series 3, Bama 91r tune
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 03:35 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

This is also the last money I'll get to spend on my car for an unknown but definitely long amount of time, which is why I'm asking for advice, and what mid pipe if I'm in Cali? I wish I could get the lethal H but dodging emissions is sketchy for me.

SR Performance CAI, Diablosport Intune bama tuner, Roush Axleback, Matte black rocker stripes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2015, 03:37 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quack View Post
This is also the last money I'll get to spend on my car for an unknown but definitely long amount of time, which is why I'm asking for advice, and what mid pipe if I'm in Cali? I wish I could get the lethal H but dodging emissions is sketchy for me.

If you're in Cali a mid pipe is probably a no go for you. Shorty headers would be about all you could do. Just depends on what you want to do.

Performance, aesthetics, suspension etc.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 03:39 PM   #5
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM91 View Post
If you're in Cali a mid pipe is probably a no go for you. Shorty headers would be about all you could do. Just depends on what you want to do.

Performance, aesthetics, suspension etc.

Midpipe is actually the best thing to do. Easy to swap out every 2 years.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 03:41 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Midpipe is actually the best thing to do. Easy to swap out every 2 years.

Well he said he didn't want to try to dodge the inspection, but yeah its up to him if he wants to change that out.

2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
Old 01-13-2015, 03:44 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Well how easy? And would it sound bad with a Roush AB? (Lethal H pipe)

Old 01-13-2015, 03:49 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I don't care if it wakes the dead if it'll sound good.

Old 01-13-2015, 03:50 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

An H pipe won't be as raspy as an X. But I haven't heard it with the Roushes.

Old 01-13-2015, 03:53 PM   #10
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM91 View Post
Well he said he didn't want to try to dodge the inspection, but yeah its up to him if he wants to change that out.

Takes 30 minutes each time. I wouldn't really consider it "dodging" that's more like having the parts on the car and hoping they don't care or see them.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 03:55 PM   #11
Registered Member

Regular

A mid pipe would be easy to change every 2 years. I did the BBK headers and it does pull more on the low end. I totally feel it was worth it.

I'm in Cali too so make sure you buy stuff you can switch easy. Your CAI will have to be changed too. The BBK's are 50 state legal so you're good there. If you get a mid pipe buy one with high flow cats. Technically they are illegal here but I had some on my 350z and they passed.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 05:14 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal Stangman View Post
A mid pipe would be easy to change every 2 years. I did the BBK headers and it does pull more on the low end. I totally feel it was worth it.

I'm in Cali too so make sure you buy stuff you can switch easy. Your CAI will have to be changed too. The BBK's are 50 state legal so you're good there. If you get a mid pipe buy one with high flow cats. Technically they are illegal here but I had some on my 350z and they passed.

H pipe is my priority, and I obviously can't afford any of the high flow of either (seeing them at 500 plus for standard length), the reason why I was asking about the Lethal one is ?because it is possible to get with my headers, I guess I might as well be the guinea pig on the Catless H with the Roush though.

Old 01-13-2015, 05:35 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
California Emission Inspection

So a typical inspection in California includes a visual of the exhaust components?
Are they done only at specific inspection stations or can garages and gas stations obtain license to inspect your vehicle?
Just curious as here in Mass. most inspections are done at gas stations with quite a range in the level of detail.
For example, Mass is one of the states that has adopted CARB approval requirements. Yet most inspection stations don't even lift the hood any more.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 06:26 PM   #14
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
So a typical inspection in California includes a visual of the exhaust components?
Are they done only at specific inspection stations or can garages and gas stations obtain license to inspect your vehicle?
Just curious as here in Mass. most inspections are done at gas stations with quite a range in the level of detail.
For example, Mass is one of the states that has adopted CARB approval requirements. Yet most inspection stations don't even lift the hood any more.
To be honest I've never had them check my exhaust. The last time I went they opened the hood, looked around a bit and then hooked it up to the sniffer.
Old 01-13-2015, 06:43 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Don't get chrome, get ceramic.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Pony123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 07:09 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
And once you lose the Cats and the resonators the V6 sounds like
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 07:43 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony123 View Post
Don't get chrome, get ceramic.

+1
Geok.91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 08:39 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Can't afford the extra 100 for the same piece, plus its not ever hot here in San Diego so engine temp is not an issue.

Old 01-13-2015, 08:44 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Anybody have experience with the frpp x pipe? that seems to keep my cats, but would that cost me gains?

Old 01-13-2015, 09:08 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
The FRPP X-Pipe gives you a small bump in low end and smooths out the sound. You will not lose anything with it.
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 11:27 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Clean sound is tempting, as less rasp is always better on the Roush, I think I'll do the x pipe and shorties then.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:23 AM   #22
Site Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Coming across 500 that I'm letting myself freely spend on the stang, I want to drop some money on the chrome shorty headers by BBK, any other suggestions as to what I should add?
Hey Quack - Good question and if you're looking to improve the exhaust flow more efficiently I would definitely take a look into BBK's Ceramic Tuned Length Shorty Headers, they'll definitely help your 3.7 breathe better and you'll definitely be able to hear a difference in the exhaust sound as well!

Depending on how much more sound you're after you could definitely throw a mid-pipe on and the H's will be a lot more throaty, deep, and give a nice menacing sound. The X's tend to "bark" more. I go back and forth with them and at the end of the day my best recommendation would be to listen to a few YouTube clips to get a better idea of what's going to work best for you.

Let me know if you have any questions as always and I hope this helps!

Alex
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG & 2017 RAPTOR!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMAlexLazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 08:43 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Clean sound is tempting, as less rasp is always better on the Roush, I think I'll do the x pipe and shorties then.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:24 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

If your looking for speed I would get some gears if you dont have any yet. 3.73 are best for auto. Then use your Diablsport to tune ur up. Gears are around $280 for a good kit but you will need another quart of 75w140 which was $12 for me then the install will cost around 300 if you do it yourself. I did this upgrade and it was the best by far.
-SOLD-13.246s@107.81 RaceRed 2013 v6 Mustang, 3.73 gears, MPT 91Race Tune, Axle-Back Straight Pipe, Tower Brace, BMR LCA's, BBK Shorty Headers, BMR Relocation Brackets, Lethal Performance X-Pipe Catless.
-2008 Civic SI...
RaceRed3.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 09:28 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceRed3.7 View Post
If your looking for speed I would get some gears if you dont have any yet. 3.73 are best for auto. Then use your Diablsport to tune ur up. Gears are around $280 for a good kit but you will need another quart of 75w140 which was $12 for me then the install will cost around 300 if you do it yourself. I did this upgrade and it was the best by far.

Out of my budget currently, plus I can't risk mpgs with my current job, I will get them eventually though!

Old 01-14-2015, 03:05 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Go with the ceramic BBK or the 409 stainless jba shorties since the macs aren't carb legal. Skip out on the chrome

Bigshow14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 04:21 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigshow14 View Post
Go with the ceramic BBK or the 409 stainless jba shorties since the macs aren't carb legal. Skip out on the chrome

where can I find the JBA's at for the v6?

Old 01-14-2015, 05:55 PM   #28
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:

Just do the BBK. They are up here in my neck of the woods, Temecula. Its a good product.
Old 01-14-2015, 06:43 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:

Autoanything
Bigshow14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 08:33 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Do not get chrome. Tooo many problems

---------- Post added at 08:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:32 PM ----------

Bbk ceramic are 305 at autoanything right now.

Pony123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 08:09 AM   #31
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal Stangman View Post
Just do the BBK. They are up here in my neck of the woods, Temecula. Its a good product.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony123 View Post
Do not get chrome. Tooo many problems

---------- Post added at 08:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:32 PM ----------

Bbk ceramic are 305 at autoanything right now.
I would definitely shoot for the BBK's! Did I mention that we Price Match here as well ?

If you want to have that set up simply shoot our Customer Service Team a call at 1-866-727-1266 and they can have your order set up!

Alex
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Old 01-15-2015, 09:45 AM   #32
Site Sponsor

Quack - Just saw your PM! Received and replied! We'll get you set up today!

Alex
Free Same-Day Shipping!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang