Ceramic vs. Chrome Headers? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-16-2015, 07:12 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Ceramic vs. Chrome Headers?

Which should i get and what are the advantages/disadvantages of both. really doesnt seem like the ceramic is worth the extra $$$
syndicate is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2015, 07:18 PM   #2
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
Ceramic will keep your engine bay temps down whereas the chrome will let all that exhaust heat radiate out into the bay. DEFINITELY worth the extra money.

Sent from the Death Star.
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 07:24 PM   #3
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Like what said above. Also the chrome finish will burn and fade after a while. So if its a daily driver don't expect it to look shiny for long. Ceramic is the way to go.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2015, 07:44 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

will i be able to install these myself or will that be too complicated. I know a good amount about cars but im not much of a mechanic..
Old 01-16-2015, 07:51 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
With the right tools you should be able to do it yourself. Which ones are you going to get longtubes or shorties? I've heard longtubes are slightly harder of an install.
Old 01-16-2015, 08:46 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

long tubes. how much would they be to have installed at a shop?
Old 01-16-2015, 09:06 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by syndicate View Post
long tubes. how much would they be to have installed at a shop?
Thought most stick with short tubes in Cali due to long tubes not being legal. On the other hand apparently new cars are exempt from emission/smog testing for 6 years.
If you decide on shorties here's a bit of reading for you, on their installation.
BBK Shorty Install....WOW!!
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 09:59 PM   #8
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
Thought most stick with short tubes in Cali due to long tubes not being legal. On the other hand apparently new cars are exempt from emission/smog testing for 6 years.
If you decide on shorties here's a bit of reading for you, on their installation.
Only the BBK are legal here.

I did this a couple of weeks ago. Im pretty handy with tools and mechanical work, but these were a PITA to install. It's not hard, just very tedious. Get ready to get your hands and arms tore up.

And yes do the ceramic.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 10:23 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Shorties are better for our v6s over the longtubes

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Pony123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 10:23 PM   #10
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
No longtube headers are legal in california.

HID end all thread
Old 01-16-2015, 10:48 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

how can the state of california define "long tune headers" makes no sense

Old 01-16-2015, 11:14 PM   #12
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
how can the state of california define "long tune headers" makes no sense

The same exact way all aftermarket companies define long tube headers.

It is a matter of what companies get their products CARB approved, thats what makes them legal. If they aren't CARB approved then they are illegal automatically in California.

The only long tube headers to date i have seen with a CARB sticker on them is the coyote swap into a new edge long tube headers.

HID end all thread
Old 01-17-2015, 01:16 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Go with ceramic. They keep cooler and will not turn color.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 01:30 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

i think im gonna go with the ceramics. just seem like a better investment. Also what is the punishment for being caught with them in california?

Old 01-17-2015, 01:32 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
i think im gonna go with the ceramics. just seem like a better investment. Also what is the punishment for being caught with them in california?

You will be forced to watch Kindergarten Cop 100 times with your former Governor
Old 01-17-2015, 02:11 AM   #16
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Ceramic vs. Chrome Headers?

$2500 fine and possibly jail time.

They will probably impound the car also.

That is if there are no catalytic converters. If you have Longtubes but also keep the cats then you just won't pass smog, that's the end of it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1421482239.481654.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	235.7 KB
ID:	173668

That being said. I don't know anyone that's ever had an issue running no cats. I even know someone running LongTubes in Cali, he is on this forum. I just swapped my midpipe for an offroad one, I swap it out for smog every 2 years.

When I start to do my front splitter and rear spoiler and race seats it'll look more RaceCarish so I may get some dummy cats welded in incase someone wants to look under my car.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

HID end all thread
Old 01-17-2015, 05:09 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
No longtube headers are legal in california.
No Long Tube is legal for anything other than Off Road in the US. Anything requiring you to move the Cats is illegal

Quote:

What Soccerluvr said, except if you do get caught and are allowed to keep your car you get the pleasure of going to a US Government approved Smog station and getting you car smogged every year, or whenever the US Government decided to want it smogged on your dime, normally between $150-$200.
My Buddies truck passed Smog twice in NC with Long Tubes and High Flow cats and got stopped at DUI Check point and the cop looked. $1500 fine and $160 each time for Smog System check 3 times in the first year. He finally sold the truck. BTW you take a hit on that since I think he said it has something in the Database on the title also.
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 08:46 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siber Expres View Post
No Long Tube is legal for anything other than Off Road in the US. Anything requiring you to move the Cats is illegal

What Soccerluvr said, except if you do get caught and are allowed to keep your car you get the pleasure of going to a US Government approved Smog station and getting you car smogged every year, or whenever the US Government decided to want it smogged on your dime, normally between $150-$200.
My Buddies truck passed Smog twice in NC with Long Tubes and High Flow cats and got stopped at DUI Check point and the cop looked. $1500 fine and $160 each time for Smog System check 3 times in the first year. He finally sold the truck. BTW you take a hit on that since I think he said it has something in the Database on the title also.
They do make catted mid pipe for long tubes, you do realize this don't you?
Old 01-17-2015, 11:00 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
High flow cats are still illegal. When you remove the oem cats, it's illegal. Period.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 11:10 AM   #20
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:

The punishment for what, the headers? Go back and read, they are 50 state legal. They come with a CARB sticker. No punishment.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 01:41 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

To Make A Short story Long

Federal laws prohibits touching you OEM cats.

"E.P.A. guidelines state that replacement converters may be installed only in the following situations:
1. The vehicle is missing a converter
2. A state or local inspection program has determined that the existing converter needs replacement
3. Vehicles manufactured prior to 1996 must have more than 50,000 miles, and a legitimate need for replacement must be established and documented
4. In cases of OBD Il-equipped vehicles (1996 and later), the O.E. manufacturer's 8-year/80,000-mile warranty must have expired and a legitimate need for replacement must be established and documented.
Please note that Federal law prohibits removal or replacement of a properly functioning O.E. converter.

When replacement of the converter is appropriate (as outlined above), the E.P.A. further requires that:
1. It be installed in the same location as the original
2. It be the same type as the original (i.e., two-way, three-way, three-way plus air/three-way plus oxidation)
3. It be the proper model for the vehicle application as determined and specified by the manufacturer
4. It be properly connected to any existing air injection components on the vehicle
5. It be installed with any other required converter for a particular application
6. It be accompanied by a warranty information card to be completed by the installer."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Then we have the states that have adopted CARB requirements. However, only 3 of these states have adopted California rules for aftermarket systems requiring aftermarket conversions to be CARB-certified in their state.
In reality, many states don't really police any of this stuff and rely solely on the OBD Il check.
Mass. is a good example where they not only adopted the CARB requirements but also adopted California rules for aftermarket systems. Yet I've never seen nor heard of any enforcement of any of these requirements. Not yet anyway!
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Old 01-17-2015, 01:55 PM   #22
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM91 View Post
High flow cats are still illegal. When you remove the oem cats, it's illegal. Period.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app

High flow cats are only illegal in Cali. The law states that if your cars OEM cats malfunction or are damaged and your car is out of any warranty period then you can get non OEM ones.

HID end all thread
Old 01-17-2015, 01:56 PM   #23
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Good read here
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1421524593.188569.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	232.6 KB
ID:	173679

HID end all thread
Old 01-17-2015, 02:08 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Another vote for ceramic

Bigshow14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 04:20 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigshow14 View Post
Another vote for ceramic, CARB Approved BBK Shorties

Old 01-17-2015, 05:07 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
What part of "Not For Use on Pollution Controlled Vehicles, Off Road Use Only" do people not understand. BTW that is Federal Law, not state so it is in all 50 States.
And just because you do not have smog checks in your state does not mean you cannot get caught.

Quote:
Federal laws prohibits touching you OEM cats.

"E.P.A. guidelines state that replacement converters may be installed only in the following situations:
1. The vehicle is missing a converter
2. A state or local inspection program has determined that the existing converter needs replacement
3. Vehicles manufactured prior to 1996 must have more than 50,000 miles, and a legitimate need for replacement must be established and documented
4. In cases of OBD Il-equipped vehicles (1996 and later), the O.E. manufacturer's 8-year/80,000-mile warranty must have expired and a legitimate need for replacement must be established and documented.
Please note that Federal law prohibits removal or replacement of a properly functioning O.E. converter.

When replacement of the converter is appropriate (as outlined above), the E.P.A. further requires that:
1. It be installed in the same location as the original
2. It be the same type as the original (i.e., two-way, three-way, three-way plus air/three-way plus oxidation)
3. It be the proper model for the vehicle application as determined and specified by the manufacturer
4. It be properly connected to any existing air injection components on the vehicle
5. It be installed with any other required converter for a particular application
6. It be accompanied by a warranty information card to be completed by the installer."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Then we have the states that have adopted CARB requirements. However, only 3 of these states have adopted California rules for aftermarket systems requiring aftermarket conversions to be CARB-certified in their state.
In reality, many states don't really police any of this stuff and rely solely on the OBD Il check.
Mass. is a good example where they not only adopted the CARB requirements but also adopted California rules for aftermarket systems. Yet I've never seen nor heard of any enforcement of any of these requirements. Not yet anyway!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
High flow cats are only illegal in Cali. The law states that if your cars OEM cats malfunction or are damaged and your car is out of any warranty period then you can get non OEM ones.

I quoted Diehard's post, which as stated in the law it has to be replaced with basically an OEM equivalent, so if your car came with high flow cats they are legal, if not you are SOL.
I myself do not want to be making payments on a Car that went to the crusher because of tampered emission control devices, which BTW can happen. I also do not think the HP gains to have long tube headers and high flow cats or no cats is worth $2500. I have much better things to use my money on than giving more of it to Uncle Sam
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 05:55 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

What's not readily apparent is the fact that California, and states that have adopted the California requirements, do not have to follow the federal EPA laws on this subject.
California is the only state that is permitted to have such a regulatory agency, since it is the only state that had one before the passage of the federal Clean Air Act.
Other states are permitted to follow CARB standards, or use the federal ones, but not set their own.
Although the California requirements may be more strict in many ways, they do read differently and are not required to follow the Federal requirements,
I'm not going to get into trying to interpret the details of the CARB requirements.
Old 01-17-2015, 06:13 PM   #28
ME Bloodhound
Staff

I've been running cats for 2 years in Cali. Never an issue. If you are worried just get dummy cats.

HID end all thread
Old 01-17-2015, 06:26 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Or JBA

Old 01-17-2015, 09:17 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigshow14 View Post
Or JBA

Are you saying that JBA shorty headers have CARB approval for a V6 Mustang? I can't find that they do.
Old 01-17-2015, 11:54 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Are you saying that JBA shorty headers have CARB approval for a V6 Mustang? I can't find that they do.
Go to the jba website and seach 3.7 v6 mustang and look at the notes in the header description. It states that they are.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang